I Played A Computer Game: Bronze

By Quintin Smith on November 5th, 2010 at 2:15 pm.

That was odd. My plan for the afternoon was to download and play Marvel Brothel. Instead I put on the new Alan Partridge, entered a kind of autopilot and ended up downloading and playing historial turn-based strategy game Bronze, of which you can get the demo here.

Despite being the kind of game Alan Partridge might enjoy, Bronze is pretty interesting. The base concept is a kind of enhanced Go- you need to capture as much of the board as possible, and you do this by putting down different developments. Army camps capture all tiles around them except farms, forts protect tiles, ziggurats capture farms, towns capture all neutral tiles around them, etc. I kind of enjoyed myself, plus missions are interspersed with vague history lessons. Curious? Give it a shot.

, , , .

1. dalziel86 says:

Please, please, please tell us Wot You Think about Marvel Brothel.

2. Premium User Badge AndrewC says:

Marvel…Brothel? Send this Bronze game to Tim Stone and get busy with seeing how much it would cost to get Storm to snog Emma Frost.

3. Rob says:

is Psylocke in Marvel Brothel?

Can she be humped to [temporary, oh, always temporary] death?

4. Gap Gen says:

You played a what?

5. Quintin Smith says:

Following this show of public demand I guess I will stop procrastinating and play Marvel Brothel right now.

6. Om says:

New Alan Partridge? This is the most informative post/entry/whatever that I’ve read on this site. Well done Mr Smith

I’ll get round to that Bronze Brothel game some other time. Perhaps when I’ve thought up a suitable alloy joke

• Shadowcat says:

New Alan Partridge?! I must know more!, but your video link is blocked for me :(

7. Alexander Norris says:

But how can Quinns play a game called Bronze if he has no metal?

It must be nega-Quinns again, attempting to trick us and make us forget that Quinns still hasn’t finished Journey of Saga.

8. The Hammer says:

Totally on a tangent, but that new Partridge episode is WELL GOOD.

9. ChrisP says:

Doesn’t this look suspiciously like Tigris & Euphrates??

10. jti says:

Alan Partridge? You mean I’m Alan Partridge, Partridge? If so I really need to see the new stuff. Unfortunately it can’t be viewed from Finland. :(

11. Ed says:

Someone should really tell them that the game’s homepage doesn’t have a link to the demo. Go Go Righteous-But-Stern Indie Championing Journo-Rage!

Looks nice, though. Downloading. FROM THE LINK ON RPS.

12. Clayton H says:

Is there a way to get this to not run in Full Screen?

13. Cronstintein says:

No one’s really talking about Bronze. I thought it was pretty good. If it was $15 instead of $30 I would buy it :/

If you like strategy turn-based games the demo is definitely worth playing.

14. idiotapocs says:

Whats the difference between the demo and the full? Where can you buy it? Though if it’s reeeally 30 bucks, then it’s definitely an instant forget, I won’t torture myself with a demo…

15. Warth0g says:

Yes the full price is pretty steep but the demo is very generous. It’s a pretty great game and I can see myself wanting more and coughing up for the full game… In the full game you get more campaigns etc.. but in the demo you get a lengthy and enjoyable tutorial plus an early campaign or two… I’m still happily playing away after a good hour or so…