Chell Is Other People: Cute Portal Cosplay

By Kieron Gillen on November 7th, 2010 at 7:59 pm.

Hello, Alt-text readers. Have you missed me?

Just clearing out my phone and found some footage and shots I took at the MCM Expo last weekend. It’s of a Portal cosplayer who caught my eye because she had a remote control Companion cube*, which is pretty fancy. Also, now I look again, looks a lot like a teen version of Ex-Edge Ed now-designer Margaret Robertson. Spooks! Click through for the full photo, and find the snippet of MOVING CUBE is below…

THANK YOU!

*Or MAGIC STRING and MAN DRAGGING, which is even better.

, .

1. Supraliminal says:

Now that is rather fancy.

2. TheBlackBandit says:

It’s pretty sad that I saw in the header that it was Kieron and just passed it by as normal.

We don’t know what we got till it’s gone.

3. LimEJET says:

Ooh, nifty. I want one.

4. Shadrach says:

Cool, but I do think its the other kid who’s got it on a (nylon) string…
    /spoilsport

Delduwath says:

Who IS this Karen Gullen person, anyway?

Fede says:

Yes, we alt-text readers did. :)

• The Hammer says:

ACTUALLY, JOHN SUPPLIES THEM TOO.

Cool vid! Those conventions are always full of spectator wonder!

• Rosti says:

I fairly sure KG is just asking us alt-texters what we think of the ol’ ruffian. Walker always supplied the alt-funnies, Alec’s been bullied into it, Quinns has taken to it like a duck to iron and even Jim’s dropped the odd alt-bomb.

But yeah, I did.

• The Hammer says:

…oh, I thought Kieron was being all meta and speaking as alt-text as if alt-text had a personality; possibly one that was a bit self-conscious about being unloved and forgotten about, as a wave of other, funnier, more sprightly alt-texts seizes control of everyone’s hearts and minds.

• BAReFOOt says:

Why would you surf, using a browser from the stone-age (IE) who is so buggy, he displays the alt attribute instead of title attribute in the mouseover popup? My friend, you’re a danger to yourself, and everyone around you. To yourself, because a browser that outdated buggy has lots and lots of security holes. (So much in fact, MS sues people with a takedown notice, who list the about a dozen that aren’t fixed since at least 10 years when they were found.)
      And to everyone else, because what gets through those holes usually is a spambot or botkit client. Which then goes on with that grown power, to attack us too.

Also remember: Every time you use IE, a web developer dies a little inside. I know from my past times, when I was one. (And to this day I hold my promise, to never ever make anything compatible to IE again. Even if it’s the last thing I’ll ever do!)

I just hope you do it, because you did not know better. if you deliberately use it, knowing its effects, some might consider that terrorism. (It certainly causes terror in every single web developer in the world.)

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Um, BAReFOOt, you can still read alt-text, even in non-IE browers.

/assuming BAReFOOt’s not putting on an act of some sort

• Unaco says:

My understanding, and I’m not certain, is that some browsers only display the alt text when the image doesn’t load, although there should be a key combination to make it appear. The title text appears on mouseover in these browsers instead. Correct use would be to use the title text for cryptic messages, and alt text for a description of the image… thinking of text only browsers and screen readers.

• Boldoran says:

I am sure he knows but to view the alt text in modern browsers there are often additional steps necessary wheras the title attribute is designed exactly for the purpose of mouseover.

Sure the RPS writters wan’t to hide these texts a bit but not all that many people read the title attribute anyway. So please switch to using the title attribute so I can read your funny words without right clicking or installing a plugin that simulates misbehaviour from 13 years ago.

• Shadowcat says:

Sadly, the WordPress machinery beneath RPS is apparently too crap to support title attributes (and if not in general, than in the specific instance of the RPS customisations). It’s been complained about before, but is obviously not going to change any time soon.

Some of us just use Greasemonkey to convert alt attributes into titles or captions, whereupon we stop worrying about it. e.g.:

// ==UserScript==
      // @name RPS - alt to caption
      // @namespace my-rps-scripts
      // @include http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/*
      // ==/UserScript==

caption_style = 'width: 584px; padding: 0.15em 8px; border: 5px solid #cccccc; margin: -10px 0 0.5em 0; background-color: lightyellow; color: #333300; font-size: 0.85em; font-style: italic;';

var body = document.getElementsByTagName('body')[0];
      imgs[j].parentNode.appendChild(caption);
      }
      }
      }
      }

• Kieron Gillen says:

As those regulars have said, WordPress automatically asks for an ALT but doesn’t ask for a TEXT when you add a picture. Manually adding a TEXT every time would be one sure way to make sure there are no jokes at all. If you care about them, there’s plugins to ALT-with-mouse-over on all the browsers I’m aware of.

KG

• Shadowcat says:

Ah… not all the images are contained in their own div after all. Better caption insertion here with insertBefore()

// ==UserScript==

imgs[j].parentNode.insertBefore(caption, imgs[j].nextSibling);
      }
      }
      }
      }

7. Ed says:

Now we know the real reason Mr Gillen no longer writes for RPS; She threw him into the emergency intelligence incinerator.

8. Joe says:

THIS ISN’T WEIRD THIS IS A NORMAL THING TO WATCH

9. Deston says:

@KG: I find your lack of posts disturbing.

10. Kid A says:

I’m your biggest fan, Ms. Gillan. Didn’t know you were a videogame journalist to-oh.

11. BooleanBob says:

My first guess would be that Gillen mainly posted this because he was pleased with the Sartre reference.

Which, I should hasten to add, is totally fine.

stahlwerk says:

That’s one meticulous portal gun replica. Were they on sale, with a special edition of the orange box perhaps?

13. Daroh says:

Dang it, how did I miss her?

Which day was this on?

I’d seen someone else cos-playing as Chell but this one takes the cake. (pun intended)

14. The Hammer says:

Wait!

Why would a portal gun have such remote-controlled powers over a companion cube anyway?!

• Lilliput King says:

Sadly, this was my first thought.

• mwoody says:

It looked to me like it wasn’t supposed to be the gun so much as she was holding it invisibly in front of her, as is done in Source engine games.

15. Pijama says:

Is this “writer” something related to the glorious hivemind?

16. Serenegoose says:

Ah! She wasn’t there on saturday, was she? That was the only day I was there…. I mean I seen 2 other portal cosplayers, and one of them actually had huge FOR REALS footsprings on (but did not appear to be Chell). Looking forward to returning in may or whenever it next is. BTW, there was actually a Kim Pine (a rather good one, too) there, along with about 8 Gideons. There were actually more Gideons than Ramona’s, which I wasn’t expecting.

Also, started the second volume of Phonogram last night and was reminded of just how cruel you are to John. So cruel.

17. DeepSleeper says:

Yay!
    Cheiron Jillian is my favorite internets writer.

18. Vengefulpen says:

I like the Jean Paul Sartre reference!

19. Kazarelth says:

Probably the first journalist to use a Nokia X6. Way to go Kieron.

• Kieron Gillen says:

I am totally useless with tech. There were just too many forms to fill in to get an Iphone, and I realised I just didn’t care.

KG

20. Redd says:

This really needed a ‘staring eyes’ tag. :<

21. Torqual says:

Its no cosplay. Its the janitor cleaning the room.

22. Gotem says:

“hey baby, will you come over at my appartment later? there will be cake”