Betastar Galactica

By Alec Meer on November 8th, 2010 at 10:32 pm.

That being the official Battlestar Galactica MMO, rather than the spangly space-shooter we posted about last week. BSG Online is a free to play browser thingy created by Bigpoint, a German firm who’ve made a mountain of cash making a slew of browser MMOs in the past. I suspect standard behaviour from many quarters is to sneer at the very concept of free to play and browser-based, but I get the sense there’s quite a lot of money/effort going into this one. That doesn’t mean it’ll necessarily be the BSG game we’re crying out for, of course, but it also doesn’t mean this’ll be a shoddy cash grab either. One way to find out: sign yourself up to yonder beta. Closed at the moment, but taking on new sign ups all the time, and due to go open in December. Go!

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. KillahMate says:

Funny thing is, I might have been slightly interested if not for that glorious Diaspora trailer from last week. I don’t have anything against browser-based games as such, but how can this compete with that?

• Alistair says:

Although Unity’s great, that’s a craply designed demo. They should skip that bit with the heliocopter and start it from the fast roping IMO.

• KillahMate says:

No, I said I didn’t have anything against browser games. I don’t mind Unity, or think a game made in it can’t be good technically. I just think this game won’t be good.

Here, look at this E3 trailer for BSG Online. It’s not even gameplay, just a cutscene. And it’s just… a myriad of tiny things that seem… off. Not right. As a commenter on YouTube said, it looks like a knockoff, not the real thing.

BSG is one of my favorite shows ever and I feel quite comfortable placing exceptionally high expectations upon anyone making a game of it. I doubt any licensed game will ever grasp what made the show great (because it wasn’t the pew-pew) so I’d be content with them simply making the game technically accurate. And from the trailer (which is supposed to convince me) I’m not convinced.

• KillahMate says:

Ahem.

I doubt any licensed game will ever grasp what made the show great

…With the exception of the BSG board game, or so I’m told. So, good for them. Will have to play that one day.

2. Meatloaf says:

Hooray! More BSG shenanigans is always good news.

Flimgoblin says:

Signed up, could be fun.

4. westyfield says:

*Peers over pince-nez*
    Oh, I say. Free to play, how dreadfully common.
    *Scoffs*
    *Gets on high horse, takes elevator to top floor of ivory tower*

• bob_d says:

Oh, indeed, it is too much to even to think of the riff-raff that would no doubt be swarming all over it!
      *shudders delicately*

• Clovis says:

The image of a fancy man on a horse on an elevator makes me happy.

5. Starky says:

Someone needs to make an online browser based version of the BSG boardgame.

Make it F2P with micro transactions, or advertising based – whatever, just bloody make it!
    Just make sure it has a chat room functionality.

• Ted says:

would need webcam support, because the chatroom just ain’t enough for this kind of game, i want to see the skinjobs sweat a little or the humans, depending on what I am.

6. JohnnyMaverik says: