Beaten Up: BIT.TRIP BEAT

By Quintin Smith on November 9th, 2010 at 11:26 am.

Pixel and Voxel, that's what I'm calling my kids. Unless I have three, and then it will be Pixel, Voxel and Steve.

Acclaimed Wiiware title BIT.TRIP BEAT hit Steam last week, and the Pong-inspired musical pixel extravaganza is now available to us for £6.29. It’s a fair-sized asking price for a game with no demo and only 3 (15 minute) levels, but perhaps the video beneath will convince you. As for me, I’m automatically convinced by any game that swaps to either Mega Mode or Punishment Mode depending on how well you do.

One thing I have no idea about is whether it still supports co-op, which looks to be the best thing about the Wii version by far. Look how perfect this would be for parties!

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Hippo says:

I haven’t seen any options for coop, sadly. Could be that I’m just missing something.

Other than that, it’s pretty enjoyable actually. They absolutely need to include a way to change the screen resolution, though I think they’re patching that in or something (it’s obvious that this is their first PC title).

But the gameplay itself flows very well, it’s one of those games that’s quite hard unless you’re 100% focused, but if you are you’ll start playing a lot better than you thought you were capable of… if you know what I mean.

Don’t know how it was to play with a Wiimote (I’ve not used my Wii for two years or so), but it works very well with the mouse.

• kalidanthepalidan says:

It almost works better if you are “unfocused”…in that if you try and focus on all the blocks coming it’s much harder. Instead, if you get into the flow and realize the game is having you repeat the same moves, almost like movements in a piece of music, it becomes quite a bit easier. At least it did for me…

2. Brumisator says:

I played the demo on Wiiware a while ago, I wasn’t impressed.
    If I want ultra-retro-feeling games with explosions and trippy music I’ll stick to space invaders extreme.

And now I will go hang myself for preferring a console game to one on the PC.

3. Clovis says:

I could never complete the second level on the Wii and you can’t just skip to the next one.

• RobF says:

This is the problem I have with all the Bit.Trip games really.

I just hit a wall where it’s so completely beyond my abilities that it’s not worth carrying on because no amount of practice will get me through it.

Given the levels are pretty bloody lengthy with no checkpointing on Beat, it’s a total game killer for me entirely. Sadly, even with the inclusion of easy mode on the PC port, I’m still hitting the same thing just y’know, a bit further down the line into stage 2 than before.

Fabulous ideas, gorgeous looking and great audio but just too punishing after a point that I can never be bothered returning to them.

• DestinedCruz says:

Yeah I have the same problem. I get to the second ‘Challenge’ collectible in stage 2 and my world caves in on itself. Even if I don’t collect the Challenge bit.

4. Tom Armitage says:

The one thing you’ll miss on the PC is the magic thing that happens with the sound when you’re really shit and go right down to the “base” level (where it’s all two-colour). What happens is only really possible on the Wii, and made me grin a lot. But it’s a minor touch – found by being rubbish – in a game that otherwise ports well.

• brulleks says:

@Tom Armitage

Let me guess – the wiimote magically starts moving through the air on its own, causing the bat to hit the objects perfectly?

Now that would be cool, and may even be worth playing on a wii to see.

• KillahMate says:

Lemme guess, the soundtrack gets reduced to a few bleeps and bloops – and they come out of the controller?

5. user@example.com says:

The iPhone version is lovely, I bought the base game at full price and the DLC for it when it was on sale. I’ve been meaning to buy the PC version.

I suck at it, but it’s always fun.

6. Artist says:

And people actually play that? Strange…. Im also not impressed.

7. Shazbut says:

Nov 2010: – Pong 2 released. Deemed revolutionary for it’s time for it’s astonishing lack of gun-toting machismo bullshit. Many hoped it would usher in a brave new era of gaming.

8. Al3xand3r says:

One of the best indie series there is, everyone should buy all their games on all the available platforms. And they’re not THAT hard to complete once you get the hang of each (they all play differently), although it will be hard to do a high score with their dedicated fans.

9. Mory Buckman says:

I loved Bit.Trip Beat on Wii. Like all the Bit.Trip games, it suffers from not having any sort of practice mode, but it’s a much more serious gameplay experience than you’d think. It’s not really Pong, it’s more like a complicated dance where your body is a Pong paddle. If you try playing the third level by watching for dots coming at you, you’re going to fail spectacularly. You need to learn the moves.

10. Naity says:

I purchased it and like it :D. Although it’s quite hard!

The feeling of the game is really addictive, although the videaos and trailers son’t look that attractive.

One thing though : saying the game features 3 levels which can be beaten in 15 minutes each is quite reductive. It’s like saying “don’t purchase VVVVVV because the game features only 1 level which can be beaten in 18 minutes”.

Beside if you are a Pong Pro Gamer, it’ll last much more time to beat those levels. I’m a bit over 2 hours of game and I just beat the 2nd one (let’s say I beated the first one in the first try, and I spent around 2h trying to defeat the second).

I don’t know how much time I’ll need for the 3rd (I made a first run in easy and it looked just like a big WTF, I managed somehow to survive to the boss and it kicked my ass so hard that I don’t know how long I’ll need to beat it in normal difficulty).

In addition, you can try to get high score if you are a leaderboard maniac or just wanna challenge your friends (and, speaking about challenge with friends, they integrated different community website for the score submission. If it seems obvious you can share the scores with your steam friends, you can also tweet it or send it one facebook). I don’t have facebook nor tweeter but I found the idea cool and I suppose it’s a + for ppls using those websites.

Though, I agree with the lack of multiplayer. The game support mouse, keyboard, gamepad and sixence, adding a mutliplayer local mode would have make it perfect. But still, the game is interresting and it’s not 7€ for 45 minutes of game but much more (especially that it has a high replay value).

11. Sinomatic says:

I believe my eyes just melted.

12. internisus says:

I’ll take this opportunity to say that I was thrilled to see BEAT show up on Steam and bought it immediately, as the whole series from Gaijin is up there on my list of reasons to want a Wii. I very much hope that they bring their other games to PC, as well.

Sagan says:

I played this on Wii and it’s definitely a great game, which I’d recommend to everyone. And it’s way longer than 45 minutes, silly RPS. Sure, you could beat it in 45 minutes, but you would have to be superhumanly good for that.

14. Stanston says:

Beat is just one of those must have games. I for one am not the best at the bit trip games but I really think they have their place in gaming history. I just hope they are able to put the whole series out for pc.

I think games are getting too easy with the advent of casual games. It’s really refreshing to see a hard as nails retro game.

15. MD says:

Man, this actually looks like it could be really fun. No demo will probably mean no sale until it’s super-cheap, though. :-[

16. Bob says:

It’s already pretty cheap, if you think it looks fun just buy it. Sheesh.

No multiplayer is kind of a bummer, but up until this post I didn’t even realize it existed so whatever.

• MD says:

Sheesh yourself. If I applied that logic consistently I’d spend ridiculous amounts on all sorts of rubbish.