Kohan, Kohan, Kohan

By Jim Rossignol on November 9th, 2010 at 2:28 pm.

…which, as Richard pointed out, should be sung to the tune of Rawhide, is set to return. Probably. In a sprawling interview with GamesIndustry.biz, TimeGate bossman Adel Chaveleh said that: “We’re not walking away from Kohan by any means. It’ll see daylight again.” In what form? He wasn’t sure, or able to say, and he wasn’t about to be lured on talking about that Facebook RTS revamp route.

Presumably if the current project, Section 8 – Prejudice, fails to really cement things for the studio, then they will be returning to pastures old. Or perhaps it will get a reboot regardless? Kohan is an old favourite, and its return would certainly be welcome. The other issue that is touched on, which is interesting, is that TimeGate are now moving into self publishing. All the original Kohan games can now be bought from the TimeGate store.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Navagon says:

Interesting. What are the originals like? Do they work on Win7 64?

• ScubaMonster says:

I haven’t tried to install my copy on win 7 64 bit yet. I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work though. I’ll have to try again soon after I unpack from moving.

• Navagon says:

The Timegate site suggests Win7 compatibility. But they might have updated those versions like Blizzard do with the games sold on their site.

• Navagon says:

The demo for the first one won’t even install. Not even in compatibility mode. I’ll have to try my luck with the sequel.

• ScubaMonster says:

If the first one has a 16 bit installer, that doesn’t work on 64 bit. I THINK the sequel would have a 32 bit installer, but of course I don’t know that for sure.

• Alex says:

Hmm moving from 2000 to XP broke the original Kohan for me. Fun RTS but got stuck on higher levels. Probably not worth 20 bucks.

• Navagon says:

Well Kohan 2 installs okay. But now it’s complaining about the Unicode Truetype font. What about it I don’t know. Probably that I don’t have it because I’ve got the Opentype version instead. I’ll give that a try…

2. ScubaMonster says:

It better return in it’s original form as an RTS. And not some stupid Facebook game either. Anything else is a failure in my book.

Horza says:

I remember Kohan being pretty good. Wouldn’t mind a sequel.

4. Jay M. says:

Llast sentence of first paragraph means what?

UW says:

Strange… I don’t know if this is just for me but when I look at this post on the main page, the sentence you refer to is incoherent but looking at it via the actual article itself it has been corrected…

5. Javier-de-Ass says:

ahriman’s gift is still amazing

6. Vodka & Cookies says:

I really enjoyed the Kohan games fingers crossed they get to do more even if it was just the same as the first one with 2D graphics and all.

7. Pani says:

Never heard of Kohan, care to enlighten us?

• General George says:

Google not working for ya, son?

• Okami says:

Kohan and Kohan 2 are some of the very few really innovative RTSs released in the last twenty years.

Go grab the demo for Kohan 2 and find out the rest for yourself.

8. tekDragon says:

Kohan was an interesting RTS that had a decidedly slow pace that seemed to emphasize macro play rather than micro. I havent played it in ages.

As far as I can tell it was the first RTS that used squad-based mechanics. When you built “units” they were actually squads composed of a captain, 4-ish frontline soldiers, and 2 backline units (think mages and catapults). Your squads had morale, and could be flanked. Great stuff.

9. RadioactiveMan says:

Kohan was indeed great stuff: four factions that played slightly different, interesting maps, all sorts of big-picture stuff to do in a match, like explore ruins for treasure/monsters, and leveling up your heroes. The campaign was fun and had a pretty solid story for an RTS, and the online community was pretty great. It was the first game where I ever took the time to join a clan because the community was good, and the level of strategy in a game where you knew your teammates was really high.

The economy system was pretty impressive. Gold, wood, iron, and… gems, I think it was. Gold was needed to purchase everything, but the other resources were needed to upkeep units. You could recruit more than you were able to upkeep, but the penalty was that resource deficiencies were made up by your gold. And once your gold was all gone, your units started taking damage outside of your own territory. Hard to explain, but the dynamic was such that you could build a robust economy, and then tank it all to try and gain an advantage. It was nicely complex, with quite a few strategies available in a 4v4 match.

Eric says:

It was also (as I remember it) one of the first RTS games to handle area of supply as a sort of “resource” of its own, forcing you to link zones of control with outposts and such so that your units could regroup and regain their health as they conquested around the map.

Yeah, Kohan was really pretty cool. I’d be happy to play another one.

10. Robsoie says:

I played only the original standalone expansion “Kohan: Ahriman’s Gift”, and really liked it, a great change in term of game mechanism from the usual RTS.

11. amanda says:

Axis & Allies had similar mechanics but somehow wasn’t as much fun.

12. Okami says:

They will fuck it up. It’s going to be a Facebook game, or a multiplatform title. A 3rd person action game that will have some form of special feature during alpha, but it won’t work, so it’ll get thrown out at some point in development. There will be PR representatives who’ll talk about how excited they are to bring the world of Kohan to a whole new player base, but that the developers are trying to keep the spirit of what made the original games’ lore so esciting alive.

Even thinking about it makes me want to punch that slick, soulless fucker’s smug face to a bloody pulp.

13. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Tyger! Tyger! burning bright pun is getting a bit overused as of late, I happen to think :)

14. roy7 says:

I bought Kohan 1 and 2 and rather enjoyed them. Forcing my video card to anti-alias the game gave it new life, as well. Made the graphics look so much more modern, even after all of this time.

15. madned says:

preferred KIS and KAG to kohan 2. nothing wrong with 2 really, but something about the old school sprite style play of kohan 1 worked better for me.
    I still play on a rare occassion on a winxp install.

don’t forget that the captains could be killed independent of squad which messed up control of the squad. more fun than it sounds.

16. acb says:

Has anyone bought from the site? Need to know exactly what happens – do I get a DRM-free installer or is it a one-time use thing.

17. Subject 706 says:

Hmm, completely missed these when they came out. That Kohan warchest looks to be of fairly good value. Has anyone played all three parts of it? Are they all good?

• Okami says:

Played all three, they are all awesome. If you like RTSs you owe yourself to play them.

18. Haborym says:

I hope it is better than that crappy Kohan 2 game. It was so incredibly shallow compared to the first one.

19. Haborym says:

I hope it is better than that crappy Kohan 2. It was incredibly shallow compared to the first one and it’s expandalone.