Fallout New Vegas Might Work Better Now

By Alec Meer on November 10th, 2010 at 5:47 pm.

I have no keyboard but I must type

Obsidian’s high-selling (five million in its first month, they say) Fallout 3 expandosequel New Vegas might be somewhat, ah, divisive, but it’s certainly got plenty of earnestly enthusiastic fans. And they will certainly be glad to hear that a megapatch landed yesterday, purporting to finally fix up a ton of the RPG’s infamous bugs. It doesn’t look like this is going to be a KOTOR 2 situation, thankfully – Obsidian/Bethesda seem pretty keen to get this slightly battered watch ticking properly again.

Here’s what it does, in detail. I hate posting lists. The code’s so fiddly. Can’t we just have big, ugly blocks of text, like in the Geocities days? Bah, alright.

• Companions now show up as waypoints on the map
  • Companions will always fast travel with you, unless told to wait or sent away
  • Fix: DLC error/save corruption
  • Fix: Stuttering with water effects
  • Fix: Severe performance issues with DirectX.
  • Fix: Controls temporarily disabled after reloading Cowboy Repeater while crouched
  • Fixed crash using the Euclid C-Finder while having the Heave Ho perk
  • Fix: Entering the strip after Debt Collector causes crash and autosave corruption
  • Fix: Using Mojave Express dropbox can cause DLC warnings
  • Fixed crash when buying duplicate caravan cards from a vendor in a single transaction
  • Crafting menu should filter valid (bright) recipes to the top of the list
  • Fix: Sitting down while looking down a weapon’s ironsights leaves player control locked
  • Fix: If a companion is knocked unconscious with broken limbs they stay broken on respawn
  • Fix for varmint night scope effect persisting in kill cam
  • Fix for giving companions armor that adds STR does not increase their carry weight
  • Fix NPC Repair menu displays DAM as DPS
  • Having NPC repair service rifle with forged receiver decreases CND

To grab this version 1.2.0 patch, let the game update on Steam. Though apparently there’s a bug in that too, for some people. If the game doesn’t launch after patching, right-click on it in Steam, hit Properties, click the “Local Files” tab, click on “Verify Integrity of Game Cache”, wait, try again.

A “comprehensive” patch is still promised in the weeks to come, so if you’re still on the rad-scorched fence about this you might want to hold off a bit longer yet. I’ll almost certainly go into New Vegas myself at some point, but I’m also waiting for the mod scene to get up a head of steam first. Got any good mod-tips for it, in fact?

, , , .

1. Nick says:

And there I was having played 65+ hours thus far with only 2 crashes and no other bugs, damn them for realising unplayably broken games, eh?

• Nick says:

You know what, I’m tired of this snide boot putting in to Obsidian evry chance you get, consider my sub canceled. I’m sure the tiny tiny loss will mean a lot.

• Alec Meer says:

It’s a real shame you feel like that, Nick. Not the sub cancellation, but that you think this is a malicious post.

I promise you I’m not putting any boot in. I’m simply posting news based on the game creators’ own admission that there are a number of technical problems with their game – and a lot of web-wide coverage as such – and that they’re patching it. Which is something of interest to anyone on the fence about buying it. I haven’t played the game yet, so if you’re equating my opinion to Quinn’s you’re in error. There’s a reason we call them Wot I Thinks. I’m really not willing to express my own judgement on this (or any) game until I’ve spent time with it. I’ve seen a number of bug videos and reports (including from our old friend Ice-T), however, so don’t feel out of line commenting on that side of things.

Drop me an email if you want to talk about this, because I promise you that you’ve got the wrong end of the stick re RPS’ attitude to this developer – or indeed any developer.

• teo says:

So the game worked well for you, that must mean that it wasn’t a fucked up buggy mess for lots of other people. Right??

Wrong, for me it’s a fucked up buggy mess

• Metalfish says:

I am angry on the internet.

• Duckee says:

I agree with you completely Nick. I played through the game and it took me about 50 hours. I enjoyed every minute of it, and I did run into several glitches. But I expect them, as with any release. People always cry about bugs, bla bla releasing a broken game. But the fact is that that is how the industry is. Patching has been around for ages.

Also, this gaming site, or rather its writers, are very very biased. They decide were quickly if they like or hate something and do not try to adhere to the principle of objectivity – which I thought was a somewhat principle for news. You let the readers decide if they like it. Anyways, I guess this is a blog-site and not a news site so I guess my point is not valid.

• Nesetalis says:

and I just said the exact same thing below duckee XD

• Kid A says:

You’re right – it is a blog-site, and therefore it is opinion, and therefore your point attacking it as a news site IS invalid.
      Also, I’m fed up of this “patches are the norm” mentality we now have. Asking for a game that works for most people (I ran into plenty of crashes and game-breaking bugs that required a reload or restart while reviewing it) from the disc, instead of having to wait a month or more for it to be patched to health, is not too much. Modern internet speed should be a convenience for what slips through QA, not a replacement for QA with a “we’ll patch it after everyone has given us our money and moaned”.

• Nesetalis says:

the only way you are going to get a game that doesn’t require months of patches if you start a studio yourself, and spend the time testing it on hundreds of weird hardware and software configurations to find strange bugs.

do you think its just a case of ‘oops, i forgot to add a 1 when i used that variable’? occasionally it is.. but usually its due to third party libraries, strange incompatabilities that dont show up on one hardware profile or another.. there IS NO OTHER WAY TO FIX MOST OF THESE BUGS aside from releasing them and hoping it isnt too bad.

yes, there are pleanty of bugs that could have been fixed before release.. but thats not how the industry works, and theres no way to change it.. so accept it, or keep whining about it :p

• Dave says:

I agree with Nick 100%:

“Obsidian/Bethesda seem pretty keen to get this slightly battered watch ticking properly again.”

SLIGHTLY BATTERED!? How DARE you?

“…it’s certainly got plenty of earnestly enthusiastic fans.”

I’m not enthusiastic, I’m FOAMING AT THE MOUTH. Get it right, you incredibly biased video gaming blog. Publish eternal truths or GTFO.

• Nick says:

No, I’m not saying it doesn’t have bugs because I didn’t encounter any, but its been made to sound like its the buggiest PoS around, which it isn’t by a long shot.

It would be more acurate to say I’m displeased ‘on the internet’, but you know, never hurts to use the old srs business style putdown does it?

• The Innocent says:

I played through the entirety of the game, doing pretty much every quest, and I froze out of the game once. Yes, once. In seventy hours. There were mild glitches, but no bugs in my game. At one point I thought a quest was broken, but it turns out that I just had to wait until a later point to finish it. And that’s it.

Now, I’m not saying this because I wonder at the other folk who are having problems, but because I count myself damn lucky to have had such a good experience — it was a tremendous experience, and I’m glad I disregarded Quinns’ Wot He Thought. It’s unfortunate that he disliked it so much, and I consider it more unfortunate that there were so many factual errors in his review (and ad hominem attacks on the developer, essentially), because that does strike me as poor journalism. Regardless, thanks Alec for your words above. I hope this patch fixes the bug problems others have been having, so they can enjoy the game as much as I did.

• Ysellian says:

Let me tell you guys one thing though. I own(ed) this game for the 360 and I think the pc got the better version here…

• Lilliput King says:

Just re-reading the post… What exactly are you referring to, Nick? ‘Slightly battered’? He doesn’t mince words does he, that Alec Meer.

wengart says:

Oddly enough I bought Empire: Total War on release and didn’t encounter a single bug or crash, but does this mean that other people didn’t have problems? Of course not, however my hardware setup and a good amount of luck prevented me from running into what were very real issues for other people.

Just because developers have the luxury of patching doesn’t mean the consumer should beta test the game. New releases shouldn’t be patching out “severe performance issues with DirectX”

Also reviews =/= news

• Archonsod says:

I’ve never hit any real bugs yet myself. I’m pretty scrupulous about keeping this system clean though.

2. tomwaitsfornoman says:

Am I the only person who hasn’t encountered even one glitch so far?

• Lilliput King says:

I haven’t either (well, nothing serious) but we’ve got sense enough to know that doesn’t mean all that much, don’t we?

• tomwaitsfornoman says:

I don’t know how much sense I have, but yeah I realize I’m in the minority. I was just curious about how many others had the same lack of problems.

• Lilliput King says:

Oh, to be fair, the game ran like poo (oscillating between 15 and 45 fps every few seconds) despite my machine being beastin’.

I installed a mod and it’s been a solid 60 ever since.

3. fuggles says:

Everyone just ignore patch 1.1.1. the other megapatch that was released broken yesterday…

4. unangbangkay says:

I almost always add a mod that increases the range activation and accuracy calculation for VATS, mainly because adding iron sights to an RPG doesn’t make it a better shooter.

If you’re a fan of Hardcore mode there are a ton of mods out there that amplify its effects.

The change in damage calculations (switching to “Damage Threshold” from Damage Resistance) kind of ruins Energy Weapons, so a mod that adds some extra effects to customized Energy weapon ammo helps.

With the patch adding map indicators for companions, there’s this fun mod that switches character AI to “sandbox mode” when they’re told to wait, which means they start to roam the immediate area and act like regular NPCs. So if you leave them in a casino they’ll start playing the slots or sitting in chairs or generally faffing about.

• The Innocent says:

I was actually surprised by how much smoother the shooting felt in FO:NV than in FO3. In FO3 I used VATS almost exclusively, but in FO:NV I ended up playing it as a pure shooter. The iron sights actually worked really well in this one, I thought.

5. EC- says:

My favorite mod is the MTUI. Decreases the text size of chat and item menus to eliminate all the useless window scrolling.

6. Bhazor says:

“# Fix: Entering the strip after Debt Collector causes crash and autosave corruption”

Heh, that is the exact bug mentioned on Zero Punctuation this week.

• Bhazor says:

“Jolly good. All these things sound important, and their repair should make for a far finer experience. Especially “Severe performance issues with DirectX.” Though it sure would be nice if developers fixed major problems before releasing their product to paying customers in future.”
      OK. Lets have a quick breakdown.

Now the game itself skipping side quests and the side plot takes around what? 20 hours? 30 hours? Ok. How many testers would you say is required for a good beta? 10,000? Lets go with that. Now remember we’re only talking about players who stick rigidly to the main story that means there is around 200,000 tester hours gone into it and say theres a rate of 1 bug per hour and you can understand the scale of testing a game like this would need.

Sorry for the double post but I posted after the first paragraph. Because I am a dick.

7. Lars Westergren says:

>Got any good mod-tips for it, in fact?

Paging Wulf. Wulf to the front reception please.

The “PC”-ification of the UI is pretty mandatory – smaller fonts, bigger lists. After three games, can’t Bethsda do the courtesy of including it out of the box for us?

8. Nesetalis says:

I think I had a glitch once… :P beat the game twice already, once on hardcore, once not…
    yeah there are some graphical slowdowns at weird times, nice to see thats being fixed, but aside from that… its a great game D: why is everyone hating on it so much? it blows fo3 out of the water though not quite as good as 2.. and vats still sucks, even if it sucks less.

9. ALJA says:

according to the bethesda website that wasnt the mega update. the pc version will have its updates in drips and draps, which yesterday was the first. as indicated by “As mentioned previously, we still have a comprehensive update coming for PC, 360, and PS3. As we have more details, we’ll share them with you.” @ http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1123616-game-updates/

10. Tom says:

Game has always worked fine (if a little slow) for me.
    Personally I would like to draw attention away from the technical problems and onto what a fun and atmospheric game this is. A definite improvement over fallout 3 in my book and I haven’t even finished it yet. Already planning my second playthrough… perhaps I am just a little sad.

• Nesetalis says:

i agree with you completely..
      I’m at the point where bugs in games is standard.. the industry is built around releasing early and fixing later… accept it, or start your own game company that releases polished products :p

what you have to look at is, does this game company fix the game? or do they leave it a broken mess? and obsidian are working hard to fix it..

as for the rest of the gameplay, its great :3

11. Torqual says:

There are some good mods on http://www.newvegasnexuscom. Try Centered 3rd person Camera, New Vegas Mod Manager, MTUI for bigger dialogue windows and inventory, Perk Every Level for a F3like character developement, Inventory sorter and many other joyfull mods.

For me Fallout New Vegas was a good release. I spent 90 hours in FNV so far, i encountered no gamebreaking glitches and a few not so important bugs. It was fun. And a worthy successor to the original fallout games.

Have a nice desert trip.

12. TCM says:

Are the angry New Vegas fanboys who have only visited the site once going to show up again, or is it safe?

13. Langman says:

So Alec, would you also say Baldurs Gate 2 was an ‘expandosequel’ as well?

14. Dave says:

@Nesetalis: “yes, there are pleanty of bugs that could have been fixed before release.. but thats not how the industry works, and theres no way to change it.. so accept it”

Not every game is buggy on release, and sometimes it’s the developer’s or publisher’s fault. Oh, that big gaping hole there? Yeah, that’s in your argument.

• Nesetalis says:

actually my argument was, that’s the way the industry is, take it or leave it :p you aint changing it.
      some times the developers fail, primarily the case being when they don’t fix what they broke. But that doesn’t invalidate my comment, this specific game, most of the bugs are hardware configuration specific.

15. Alec Meer says:

Alright, I’m going to close this thread, because everyone’s just sniping at each other and I’m pretty sure it’s only going to get worse.

What a shame.