Perpetuum: Win 30-Day Timecodes, Launch

By Jim Rossignol on November 10th, 2010 at 4:00 pm.

Sandbox robo-MMO Perpetuum is launching on the 25th of November. It’s in open beta at the moment, so anyone can drop in and check it out, but Avatar Creations have also supplied us with a dozen one-month time codes for some of you to play for a free for a month after launch. Want one? If so, you can email us here with an explanation of what your purpose would be, if you were a robot. The best robo-roles will win the prizes. The usual rules apply.

Also, there’s some resplendent robo-biff in the launch trailer, below.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. bikkebakke says:

quite surprised that they are allowed to work on this game.

2. frenz0rz says:

The sole premise of this game seems to be that ROBOTS ARE AWESOME.

3. Torgen says:

I keep dithering between going missiles or lasers. Lasers have very long range, but you can launch missiles from behind the crest of hills once you have a target lock.

4. Jens says:

Perpetuum is certainly impressive for an independent developer. But the similarities everywhere in the game to EVE online, even down to the things about EVE that are not so good, are so strikingly obvious that I am tempted to call it a clone. And a bad one. Apart from the setting I did not find any original ideas during my hour or so of play. And where EVE nowadays is quite accessible, streamlined and nice to look at, this had rough edges all over the place.

• The Great Wayne says:

This is a stupid (not directed at you, but in general) accusation that is made toward perpetuum. Not stupid because it’s wrong, but stupid because nobody can just imagine EvE being at the source of a new genre. How much does EQ, WoW, DAoC, Warhammer, Lotro look alike ?

Hell, probably more than Perpetuum looks like EvE. But considering they are theme parks it’s ok for them and not for richer sandbox games ? That’s insane, this is not even a valid complaint and even if it was it’s like looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Seriously, one should praise the release of sandbox games, not try to moan on all tone like it was another wow wannabe.

5. Jake says:

A lot of these robots don’t seem heavy enough, they seem to be pretty much floating with their feet just touching the ground. They should visibly shift their weight from one foot to the other, and kick up dirt and things like that. More like in MechWarrior 2.

• PleasingFungus says:

I think they are quite admirably stompy, given the modern competition.

• TCM says:

I don’t care if my mechs are stompy or zip about like fireflies, I care that GIANT MECHS FRIG YEAH

• Acidburns says:

I have to agree with Jake; the robots don’t have much weight to them. To say that Front Mission is just as bad doesn’t make this good animation. These ones move in a weird shuffle with no role torso bob. A slow lumbering step would be give the impression of size & weight much better. Since the game is 3rd person and aiming is all serverside there would be none of the disorientation problems you would have in a first person game.

Its hard to think of a recent game that has good stompy mechs. Mechwarrior Living Legends isn’t too bad considering its a crysis mod.

6. Lukeyb says:

I am tempted to give it a try.

I really like the idea of Eve. The whole one server, one environment and everything is pretty much about PVP. Not necessarily combat, I mean the whole premise of Eve is PVP from the economy onwards… you all know what I mean. As a new player with no ties to anyone else in the game though… you end up on the botom rung with a hard climb to be anywhere that matters. Like real life for most people. If it’s as hard work as in real life, I’ll stick with real life.

With this though, there is more of an oppurtunity to be someone that matters purely because of the lower userbase and the fact that the userbase hasn’t had the means to amount and horde wealth/power yet.

Still…. haven’t got the time at the moment. That means that when I do have the time, this will be a dead game or be full of despots and a uber pirates like Eve.

Oh well.

7. Flakfizer says:

I would be all over this if it wasn’t Open World PVP

8. W Main says:

No thanks. It was boring as hell, instantly forgettable and almost immediately uninstalled.

9. utharda says:

Its not so much the walking problem for me, as the fact that the weapons don’t have much force assciated with them (i mean not the lasers, but the projectiles and missiles.) That and the combat reminds me all the other mmo’s where you stand there and beat on stuff, and it ever so slowly dies.

I think the WoT model works a bit better for shooty explody combat :/

10. Johnicholas says:

I quite like the line-of-sight and ECM aspects. You can get cover by going “hull down” behind a hill when they have a lock on you. Similarly, you can get “cover” via ewar; and you can chain one kind of cover into the other to defeat larger, better-equipped mechs.

Obviously it’s trying to go past EVE in design-space; there are slight tweaks like skill points accumulate, and then you spend them from your account of skill points, rather than penalizing “you didn’t re-fill your skill queue yesterday” (and bigger “tweaks” like having actual terrain) are analogous to the (endless) sequence of DikuMUD-derived games that ended up with WoW.

11. geldonyetich says:

If I hear they’ve tweaked it so I can control several robots remotely I might give the released version a spin. Controlling a single robot wasn’t challenging enough for me – there just wasn’t enough for me to do. EVE Online leaves me cold for similar reasons.

12. Dhatz says:

will be very shocking if it wont go F2P within a year, or more likely(eve is already out there) it wont succeed.

• TreeFrog says:

I would expect the switch to F2P even sooner than that. There’s just not enough to see and do in the game as it stands to justify a subscription charge.

And that wonerful time-based progression only gives you one pool of skill points per account, not per character. So if you want to have a combat robot and a mining robot, you’ll have to choose to have either two weak robots or one crippled one.