Royal Quest In-Game Footage Already

By John Walker on November 10th, 2010 at 7:30 pm.

Cyclops ent?

Well, quite a lot of walking animations for the characters, for rather a long time. But then after a minute, the first footage of Katauri’s new MMO, Royal Quest, shows us a glimpse of players playing. Hitting stuff. Weird stuff. Really weird stuff. It’s below.

You can immediately tell this is the folks who brought us King’s Bounty. The art and animation is instantly familiar, chunky and cuddly. Although its similarity to a certain other MMO developer sticks out a little when you first see their orc. The action focus is obvious. But I think the most important aspect to note is the man riding on the birdy-horse thing, reminding anyone of a certain age of Bernie Clifton. I do hope those are the player’s legs on the ground, with floppy fake ones hanging over the side. Rock, Paper, Shotgun: your home for hardcore gaming analysis.

, , , .

1. pakoito says:

I wanna like it but I can’t. Gameplay design facts are needed for that. Exp, loot, instances, levels, grindy-ness, control scheme…all that.

And even with that, the no MMO rule prevails.

• spacesubmarine says:

I love it.

Compared to other games out there, this one has lovely wild imagination going on.

I would love to play it right now !

2. Zoombini says:

I will play this on one condition:

That the unicycle riding card robots are a player race.

3. nuh uh no way says:

OK what the fuck? Am I missing something? How are those not chocobos?

• pakoito says:

They are PecoPecos.

• Simon says:

Or the totally not a zerg, honestly at the minute mark

• Jimbo says:

Chocobos are only Ostriches with delusions of grandeur anyway.

• Taillefer says:

Joust 3D, the MMO.

• geldonyetich says:

So the truth comes out: the chocobo shipment was intercepted on the way to Final Fantasy XIV and they ended up in Royal Quest with a new name and repainted.

• Tacroy says:

More like they were taken away from FF XIV by Chocobo Protective Services and rehomed in an MMO that has a better chance of not sucking.

• a says:

My first thought as well. Having no idea who Bernie Clifton is may have helped. Anyway this does look interesting. I hope they got the message from APB though, there hasn’t been an MMO yet that looks subscription-worthy to me, biased as I am.

• wcanyon says:

Ahem: bocochos. Those are bocochos.

4. blodorn says:

Looks unique enough to not suck right out of the gate hopefully.

5. DrGonzo says:

The gameplay looks a lot like an unsatisfying Torchlight. But the art style is very cool, and King’s Bounty was weird so I will keep my eye on this.

• MadMatty says:

yeah a bit like what i thought at the trailer… is can only take so many diablo-a-likes these days, but no real telling from the trailer, no….

6. Qjuad says:

Could be interesting – hitting stuff is always good.

And in the game!

7. Lord_Mordja says:

They should redesign the combat. Make it more ARPG.

8. Dominic White says:

Great creature design, but ‘wave sword at enemy and watch numbers pop up’ combat just doesn’t do it for me anymore. Give me modern action-RPG combat like TERA, Continent of The Ninth of Vindictus and you’ve got my interest. When I hit a monster with a bloody big sword, I want to see it flinch at the very least, and if it’s a small enemy, go flying.

9. Recomposer says:

Bernie Clifton told me to ‘F**k off’ when I was 8 years old. I was asking for his autograph at the time. Lovely man.

10. jameskond says:

Diablo 3 says hi, oh and is that first dude a fucking witch doctor? -.-

11. origo says:

for the first minute i thought they were showing playable races. Sadly, its unlikely. It seems we’re stuck with playing those boring human-like races again.
    oh well, it looks good enough to try it.

12. Miko says:

I so wish they weren’t making this an MMO. :(

13. Freud says:

It looks very much like a Lineage type game.

14. Pony Canyon says:

Art direction looks great.

Gameplay looks mind-numbing.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Um. What this here fellow said.

Interesting monster designs for the most part. But that’s about it. Environments seem okay if not noteworthy at all (although that could be the trailer, being focued on monster designs) and the gameplay.. well, I hope they’ll have more than this planned for the players.

15. Count Elmdor says:

Some of those art assets (the bird mounts, the helms and armor) look like they were ripped right out of FFXI

• Vinraith says:

That was my first thought when I saw it, and I’ve never even played an FF game.

16. Vinraith says:

I very much hope this project doesn’t outright sink Katauri. The King’s Bounty games have been great, they have a lot of potential as a studio, wasting it on an MMO is unfortunate but never being able to make a brilliant single player game again because of the failure of said MMO would be a real tragedy.

17. RaytraceRat says:

Some creatures concepts looks really great, IMHO. Gameplay looks “click and wait to hit”, but I hope they will work on that bit.

18. PJMendes says:

Those are some gorgeous, gorgeous graphics. I love the art direction for King’s Bounty (I purchased the game after just looking at the screenshots, without knowing anything else about it), and they’re keeping up in this one. And the music is also lovely, very catchy. This trailer evokes the best of King’s Bounty. I dislike MMO’s, but I hope good things from these guys, so I’ll wait with good expectations.

19. noodlecake says:

Wow! This has one of the best visual styles I’ve ever seen in a game. I just hope the game turns out to be good too. I’ll be watching this one. :)

20. Tilla says:

Wow, an MMO with chocobos that looks like it could be tolerable to play at least casually. That’s a first

21. VampireCactus says:

The art direction looks pretty great, actually. As long as the combat isn’t completely mouse-dependent, I’ll definitely give it a shot. I’m sick of games like Diablo using the mouse for everything when it would make the game ten times more fun if it were possible to play it with a controller or, at the very least, with WASD movement and attacks that don’t require a selected target.

22. GummiBearsLiveOnTheMoon says:

Sorry you had to close the F3NV thread. I wanted to thank you for posting the patch info. Shame it became a flame war.

• Vinraith says:

Huh, I guess I missed the fireworks. The funny thing is that, after what I assume was a thorough de-trolling by Alec, the thread actually looks quite civil.

23. Al3xand3r says:

The art style looks superb but the combat currently looks too simplistic. Hopefully they have a good system going, and it’s simply hard to show in a trailer. It’s a shame they aren’t going for tactical fast turn based battles though, it would be pretty unique for an MMO… I won’t mind if it’s all mouse driven (with hotkeys) as long as it’s deep and engaging though, it’s not the interface that makes or breaks a system, it’s if they use said interface well and build a good system on top of it that matters… You might want to look into Phantasy Star Online and Monster Hunter if what you really want is an all out action game. Love both the series but I wouldn’t want everything to become like them either, just like you don’t want everything to be like Diablo (which isn’t already).

24. chiroben says:

To quote Lilith: “Enough walking!”

25. Robert says:

I should click links when they are provided. I had http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Clifton in mind when i was watching the video and reading the comments. it had me confused.

26. GummiBearsLiveOnTheMoon says:

Tony Clifton? Maybe you could give me an asprin? A moist towelette?

27. Sir Digby says:

I hope this is free to play because, frankly, i’d never pay for this kind of gameplay; sure, it’s just a teaser trailer, but i’d rather save for Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3 than shell out for this game, regardless of how original it looks.

28. earl says:

I cannot believe I see Chocobos in a non-FF game!

29. Derpinator says:

Is it just me or does it look like they’ve ‘borrowed’ a lot of art from Titan Quest? The what seem to be rat men look… well exactly the same really. Some of the vegetation textures too…

30. the affront says:

Well, shit.
    When I first read that they’re making an MMO I was thinking of something different with probably some kind of tactical and/or turn based combat system (think Atlantica Online).

Now that it’s become apparent that it’s only the 9001st generic heap of cliche it bores me already.
    At least until I see that they’ve got the budget to pull it out of the slush pile by pure polish (like WoW).

• Al3xand3r says:

Err, King’s Bounty was a well presented heap of cliches also…. So I’d say it’s the execution that matters not whatever system they’re using, real time or turn based or whatever else…

31. the_fanciest_of_pants says:

Brilliant creature designs, the undead fellow still wedged in his coffin is brilliant.

I really hope you can actually PLAY as some of these crazy creatures, would be a waste to only have Humans playable.

32. Chalky says:

Is this thing going to be subscription based? I hope not. If it’s a single purchase free to play deal then I might give it a go… but I’m sure it’ll be lumbered with some cash shop selling “make the game suck less” potions.
    Kinda disappointing really. Put this next to something like allods online and they look pretty much identical – gameplay and graphics wise.
    Doesn’t the world have enough games precisely like this? The design philosophy of “WoW makes money, lets do that!” is getting really boring.

33. terry says:

Can I play as Prince Philip?

34. noobnob says:

In the prospect that the MMO venture fails, I demand a singleplayer game to be made using the very same art assets we just saw in this video.