Notch Releases MineCraft “Patch”

By Quintin Smith on November 11th, 2010 at 2:01 pm.

The pixelated face of fascism.

In what will doubtless be a hugely controversial move, independant game developer Alexej “Notch” Persson has released what he’s calling a “patch” for MineCraft. Players of MineCraft the world over will find that the next time they start their copy of MineCraft, the game will connect to the internet and download various changes that Notch has decided on. The version MineCraft that we all used to play will be lost, forever.

You can read Notch’s full list of “improvements” that the patch will add beneath the jump, including a new texture pack selector that will supposedly allow us to swap between textures packs with ease.

I’m not sure I can get behind this idea at all. All hail King Notch, changing our game whenever he pleases. These are dark times, friends.

General fixes:
* players and mobs in lava or fire no longer spam sound effects
* getting hit with a higher damage while recovering from a smaller one now works as intended
* lava flows further in the Nether
* zombie pigs eventually forgives
* added support for custom skin packs
* fixed duplicate buttons when resizing screens
* zombie pigs and ghasts no longer get hurt by fire or lava
* fixed volume sliders now saving properly

Multiplayer fixes:
* hellworld=true no longer overwrites old save chunks. Player positions will still break if you switch it on a running server, though
* boats are now visible to other players
* minecarts move nicer
* fishing kinda sorta works, but needs more work
* sheep and cows look like sheep and cows now
* buckets work now
* fixed stairs being really difficult to destroy
* increased the timeout before “Took too long to log in”
* made it possible to ride carts and boats
* added (after lots of work) the ability to steer server-side boats
* added “no-animals” setting. if true, animals will immediately vanish
* added support for more animation settings. Currently it’s just the “riding” animation, but the same system will be used for sneaking

Farewell, MineCraft 1.2.1. You were a good friend.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Kieron Gillen says:

You’ve got to admit though “zombie pigs eventually forgives” is one of the best patch-note phrases since the first Boiling Point one.

KG

2. SF Legend says:

QUINTIN HOW DARE YOU IMPLY THAT MINECRAFT IS BUGGY AND HENCE REQUIRES A PATCH! I AM WITHDRAWING ALL £2 A MONTH I PAY YOU!

3. HidesHisEyes says:

I can’t believe he’s done this.

4. Incognito says:

Here´s hoping that Quintin is just joking.

• the wiseass says:

Yeah I hope so too.

• lemming77 says:

… He is.

• the wiseass says:

Ah, good. Are people really so opposed to updates in this game?

• Harlander says:

I do remember reading something eerily similar to this in a comment thread for something. An (unconvincing and frankly weird) argument against autopatching, wasn’t it?

• HexagonalBolts says:

He’s being sarcastic, because people were being as ridiculous as his post would be if read seriously about demanding new patches. He’s showing the other side of the coin.

• jalf says:

If it’s the thread I’m thinking of, then I don’t see what’s so weird about it. As I recall, that was about Valve changing the ending to Portal, which *does* seem a strange move.

I think changing the ending to a game is something I’d generally consider a Bad Idea(tm), at least for games where the narrative is a pretty big deal, whereas I don’t think anyone’s going to get upset that zombie pigs may now forgive you.

Then there’s TF2 which just is nothing like the game we actually *bought* back in 2007. Is that good or bad? Is it ok as long as the majority prefers the new game?

Or we could take it to (made-up) extremes: what if Valve decided to release a patch which removes the first 30 minutes of HL2? (Or the Xen part of HL?)

At some point I think we can all agree that mandatory autopatching becomes unacceptable. It’s just that different people draw the line at different places. But it seems unfair to brush the entire discussion off as “weird” and “unconvincing”.

• Reddin says:

I think that there is something of a point here, but I’ve yet to come across a situation where it actually bothered me.

• Fitt3 says:

I am very much with Jalf on this one.

• Dozer says:

I stopped playing TF2 for a few months, and then gave it another go this week. I enjoyed it, but would have enjoyed it a lot more if winning or losing depended on how well your team is fighting, instead of depending on how many of your teammates are sitting in spawn trading hats with one another. Not pleasing at all Valve…

• Archonsod says:

“I remember a discussion about this involving Portal, and how the ending for that (and some little things in the game itself) are changed in updates, and due to that can no longer be experienced as it was when it came out.”

It’s like the Director’s cut of movies. Some people appreciate being able to play it as was.

Though the biggest argument for auto patching these days is the size. Nothing against being told there’s an update available, but I’d rather people ask before shoving 2 Gb of data onto the hard drive.

• Ruiner66 says:

People are not opposed to updates. People are opposed to other people constantly whining for updates with some unfounded sense of entitlement.

5. greywulf says:

Ummm… Minecraft has always checked and auto-updated when you login. That’s not changed at all.

• Malibu Stacey says:

See the recent New Vegas patch article from earlier in the week & older articles where Steam/VALVe auto-patching is referenced. Quintin is applying a large dose of sarcasm in this article.

6. lemming77 says:

HOW DARE HE UPDATE MY GAME ON MY BEHALF FOR MY BENEFIT IN A WAY WHICH HAS HAD NO NEGATIVE IMPACT ON ME HOW DARE HE RÆGRÆGRÆG

• wm says:

How many of RPS’s readers will know how the letter Æ is pronounced, one wonders…

• DevilSShadoW says:

@wm
      now everybody can learn! :D

Æ (lower case: æ) is a grapheme formed from the letters a and e. Originally a ligature representing a Latin diphthong, it has been promoted to the full status of a letter in the alphabets of some languages, including Danish, Norwegian and Icelandic. As a letter of the Old English alphabet, it was called æsc (“ash tree”) after the Anglo-Saxon futhorc rune ᚫ (Runic letter ansuz.svg), which it transliterated; its traditional name in English is still ash (IPA: /æʃ/).

• wm says:

So to simplify: “I’m bæd æt mæths.” This sentence reads correctly.

• Berzee says:

So “Encyclopædia” sounds like Encyclopadia?

That’s an outræg.

• wm says:

Sure, if you’re wanting to pronounce English words as if they were Scandinavian (or Saxon).

• Tom Camfield says:

@ wm

æ (in English) is pronounced “e” as in “dæmon”, “daemon” or “demon” (all pronounced the same: [ˈdiːmən] or demun).

The IPA thing is there to confuse you. The name of “æ” is “ash”, like the name for “,” is “comma”. The IPA guide gives the pronunciation for “ash”, not how to pronounce “æ” in a sentence.

So you’ve written something more like “I’m bed et meths”.

That said, RÆG wouldn’t be pronounced “reg” because it’s a broken spelling of “rage”, so it’s just pronounced like “rage”. English is flexible like that.

@ Berzee

Encyclopedia and Encyclopædia both sound exactly the same, “æ” sounds just like “e”.

(Confusingly, “e” has several different pronunciations, compare “bed” to “easy”, or even the first “e” in Encyclopedia to the second. The “æ” sound above is the one found in the word “easy”.)

• Christian Dannie Storgaard says:

In Danish at least, æ is actually mostly pronounced as the first e in “Esther”, “eligible” or “excellent”.

• Skurmedel says:

“nether” would also be a good indication of what it sounds like; “ne” without the n-sound. In Sweden we use “ä” instead, but the sound is mostly the same. Your next challenge is Ø :)

• wm says:

@Tom Camfield:

“So you’ve written something more like “I’m bed et meths”.”

Nonsense, I was explaining how Æ is pronounced in Norwegian (and possibly Old English).

• wm says:

@Skurmedel: the vowel sound these words have in common: burn, earn, churn, learn, gurn.

• kutkh says:

As far as I’m aware an Old English æ is pronounced like the a in maths, as wm says above, or indeed like the a in ash. At least that’s what I was taught.

• Meneth says:

A Norwegian Æ is pronounced like the A in cat or bat, or as the first E in eye.

• mpk says:

“I’m bed et meths” makes me sound like Mr Burns.

• wm says:

@meneth: Never as the first e in eye. That would be a Norwegian A.

• Jhoosier says:

Actually, in the IPA, it’s the sound from ‘cat’. But since most of us here speak differently-accented English, the word might have a different sound. I think mine’s a lot more nasalized than the British version. Anyway, have a look:

æ: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near-open_front_unrounded_vowel

chart for English dialects: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPA_chart_for_English_dialects#Chart

7. Kaira- says:

Am I missing something here, or why are people disappointed with this?

8. So yeah.. says:

is there something I’m not getting. Why is the article author being a dick over a patch?

• scottossington says:

You must be new

• teliach says:

No, the author is trying to be funny after being a huge dick on some other article.

• DevilSShadoW says:

I like this guy

• Rich says:

“No, the author is being funny after being dicked about on some other article.”
      There you go, fixed it for you. No it’s OK, you don’t have to thank me.

• panther says:

New guy commentin

• teliach says:

@ Rich

You really din’t fixed anything, there is a huge difference about not liking a game and express his opinions and doing what Quentin did with his New vegas and also WoW articles. Both exemples in my opinion of pure crap writing made to provoke people and create traffic trough flame wars. While they achieved the goal also had other side effects like Alec having to close (for the first time I remember) a comment thread.

• DrazharLn says:

That was not the first time a thread has been closed on RPS.

Quinn’s article expressed his honest opinion on a game that simply did not work correctly for him. Given the large numbers of reports of brokenness, I feel that this response is entirely justifiable.

As for claiming that the WoW and Fallout articles were written to provoke traffic, that is absurd. The whole thing has been a bit of a PR disaster and made many previously loyal RPS readers unhappy. I guess that’s what you get when people go around being honest with one another.

This newsitem uses satirical techniques and irony. It is funny. Quinns is a brilliant writer.

– An RPS reader/subscriber

• teliach says:

Being honest has nothing to do with it, you can write very clear that you don’t like a game and think the game is broken and bug ridden and be fair to the game.

Brillaint writers don’t need to throw offenses at the developers and make stuff up to prove their points like Quentin did in New vegas and WoW articles, People are not mad at Quentin for him not liking NEw vegas or thinking the game is bugged, people were mad because he was offensive and those articles he is telling not the truth but decieving people, even reacing the point of posting a video on the WoW article that had nothing to do with the point he was making and clearly deceiving people about the game. What would you think if somone posted a video of mass effect planet scanning as a exemple of mass effect 2 combat? If you think that is being truthfull, then i don’t know what to say.

I havent seen any other locked comment in the time i’ve been reading RPS, would liek to know what other threads were closed and why.

• DJ Phantoon says:

So you’re a troll, or you like New Vegas so much that you can’t admit it has flaws, thus anyone pointing out it has horrific bugs is attacking it.

Either way, shush.

• Rich says:

Been reading RPS for two years. Seen at least two or three locked threads in that time.

“Brillaint writers don’t need to throw offenses at the developers and make stuff up to prove their points like Quentin did in New vegas and WoW articles” Examples? Which video did you mean?

• Teliach says:

I have never said anything about liking or disliking fallout new vegas, it, could be a great game if it din’t had the technical problems it has and it has many. I crashed alot playing it, but im likign it enough to keep playing till now, still not very far, aroudn some 10 hours on it. The WIT din’0t focused ont he technical problems tough and the offenses against obsidian were really over the top.

The WoW video linked on the Expansion news had nothign to do with what was talked on the text, it showed a fight of a dungeon (probably the worst boss of the worst 5 man instance) when telling that it was what people might expect of the fight against deathwing (the dragon that appears on the expansion trailer), like I said was the same has showing somone scannimg planets on ME2 and say that’s the exemple of what you can expect the game to play like. Complete desinformation, WoW has load of bad stuff and is imo actually getting worse with time, but there is opinions and there is lying.

• FunkyBadger says:

I had an awesome New Vegas bug, my game auto-loaded the autosave after I’d got mauled by Geckos. And I couldn’t turn. (This was on Xbox, I should say) Could move forward and back, and strefe, but couldn’t turn. Awesome.

Wish I hadn’t reverted and overwritten the save.

Also Quinns is a magnificent writer – the Gillen hit the nail on the head in the original comments thread “everyone loves an outspoken critic until they say something you disagree with”.

(For myself, I’m enjoying New Vegas, but I probably enjoy the passion of Ironman’s writing more)

• Psyk says:

“It was a clear shift on the tone of writing in RPS, one that I personally don’t appreciate, and had hopes it was just some bad moments that would pass, but takign this article has a exemple is seems is a style of writing they are ok with and will continue using, what in my opinion is a shame.”

Yeah, I think he wants to be jim sterling :(

• Dexton says:

I also don’t like Quinns writing, not at all. It was a sad day when KG left and a sadder day when Quinns took over.

9. Tei says:

I am a modder, and I like specially the ability to load custom texture. In a custom texture you can draw a Coca Cola bottle and a bucket with a yellow liquid. So you can make a mod where you can combine Reddust and a bucket with water to get a Coca Cola bottle (filled) that if you eat it will result in a empty bucket.

The bucket with yellow liquid you ask? you can make this mod that wen you “use” a bucket, and you are aiming empty air, the bucket fill with pee and you gain some health. You can empty again the pee and it will work (it will be) water.
    Or maybe you can launch the bucket filled with pee to the mobster as a… “Jarate” quind of way.

These are the deliciousness of Minecraft modding.

• DJ Phantoon says:

Jarate? No, it’s Mandel’s gross monster piss. Or apple juice.

• Malagate says:

Teeiiii, go make a mod for me that puts fireworks into minecraft, specifically with the craft formula of redstone/yellowstone on top with gunpowder in the middle and a stick at the bottom and acts like a normal cube when you place it until you use fire on it when it sparks up and flies away and explodes.

Go on.
      Do it.
      Please?

Because I’m lazy and uselesssssss.

10. majo says:

Bad thing about explaining a joke is that it is spoiling the joke kinda… but this is a joke.

11. FalseMyrmidon says:

I think it’s a reference to the comments on this article:

• plugmonkey says:

Which Alec closed because people were being mean to him.

• Hippo says:

I think it’s an attempt at ridiculing the people who complains when notch adds features and changes to Minecraft that they don’t like. Which is fair enough, in a way (it’s basically what you risk when you buy an alpha-version that’s constantly being updated, but otoh it’s understandable that people aren’t happy when a game they love changes in ways they don’t like, and there’s nothing they can do about it).

• Om says:

A reference that completely misses the point. No one has ever complained about NV being patched, but rather the (perceived) Obsidian kicking in the reporting of this

• Nova says:

@FalseMyrmidon

It’s much more likely about this: http://is.gd/gW5SE

• FalseMyrmidon says:

Mmmm yeah I think you’re right.

• the wiseass says:

But… but these guys are DEMANDING more updates, not trying to prevent them.

• Man Raised By Puffins says:

@ the wiseass: Exactly, my expectations was confounded and from thence the humour arose.

• DJ Phantoon says:

No, Alec closed it because half of the people were acting like retards on a short bus after being told that they would in fact not be allowed to go on their field trip to the chocolate factory because of the engine in the bus broke down, and they didn’t understand the engine can’t be fixed by wishes.

12. Doug F says:

I am very happy for the apparently massive increase in RPS’ readership recently – that’s what it must be, as there’s no way this many longtime readers could take this post seriously. Congratulations, guys!

Can I also say that I hate CAPTCHAs that use variable letter sizes but expect you to tell the difference between capital and lower-case S, C, etc. ?

• the wiseass says:

You see, satire only works if you know what it is related to. In this case, as the above comments clearly demonstrate, nobody really know what it’s referring to.

• Thermal Ions says:

As a long time reader, why the heck are you pissing around with Captcha, you should be logged in man.

• Malibu Stacey says:

That’s mainly because there’s loads of people who get linked to articles on here about specific games by feeds on things like Steam & never bother reading anything else on the site.

You can usually figure them out from the comments though. They either treat this place like it’s the BBC News or a gaming “blog”.

• Colthor says:

@Doug F:

I don’t think it’s case sensitive.
      *Deliberately enters CAPTCHA in wrong case*

• Man Raised By Puffins says:

@ Doug F: I remember Tim Stone’s reposting of his PCG Strafe Left comics often being met with “I don’t get it” comments, and then there was the zombie Jesus incident, so it’s not an entirely new thing.

• Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

Oh, crap. I can log in, can’t I?

13. teliach says:

In other news, between breaks of minecraft has any of the RPG authors being able to try Two World 2?

14. Ovvno says:

*zombie pigs and ghasts no longer get hurt by fire or lava

Noooooooooooooo……..

But how will I kill zombie pigs for there meat now???

15. shaydeeadi says:

Soneone help! On mac I can’t seem to make the texture folder open when I click it in MC and when I replaced the whole set of Minecraft textures nothing happened FFFFUUUUUUU!!!
    I’m on a stinking Mac, please don’t ridicule me, any suggestions?

• Martin Kingsley says:

Hey. The texturepacks folder for Mac users (there’s still a bug to do with being unable to open the folder direct from the app, as you can see) can be found in Your User’s Home Folder > Library > Application Support > Minecraft. Zip up the direct contents of the texture pack (so the zip should directly contain folders like ‘gui’ and whatnot), and place that zip file in the texturepacks folder. Go back to Minecraft, and you should be able to select it from the Mods menu.

16. fishmitten says:

Grammar.

17. golden_worm says:

I hate it when people say the opposite of what they mean in order to make a post funny. It leads to all sorts of confusion, people mistaking it for satire of completely unrelated articles or worse entirely missing the point and thinking it really is a negative post. After all, Quins is well know for not wanting games to be more fun, and RPS in general are negative about everything related to Minecraft, you can easily see how people can get confused.

Stop messing with peoples heads.

18. Lu-Tze says:

Best undocumented feature : F4 now spawns portals.

19. Gundrea says:

On the one hand I’m concerned with the way RPS staff feel the need to make articles that take shots at their commenters and engage in wars of words over petty disputes. While argument is to be encouraged, there’s nothing more entertaining than a commentor engaging in a bitter war of words with the author of a blogpost, there is such a thing as subtlety.

An off-hand remark, a cursory notification. You don’t need to devote an entire article to a cheap shot. In fact the smaller and less noticable it is the better because then once it’s picked up it explodes and your sparring partner remembers that it is so on.

I would encourage criticism of this comment.

• Gundrea says:

You should have used hyphens not commas for that aside in the middle of a sentence.

• golden_worm says:

You start “on the one hand” but don’t say what’s on the other.

Nothing in the article attacks or even refers to any commenter or comment.

Argument is not something to be encouraged, maybe try debate, i don’t know, what do you think?

There are plenty of things “more entertaining than a commentor engaging in a bitter war of words with the author of a blogpost”, such as humorous use of subverting expectations.

Subtlety is easily missed.
      I guess the off hand remark is the reason there’s no other hand.

The article was about a Minecraft update, not entirely devoted to a “cheap shot”.

“In fact the smaller and less noticable it is the better because then once it’s picked up it explodes and your sparring partner remembers that it is so on” – WHA?

“I would encourage criticism of this comment.” – DONE

• Gundrea says:

so on, referring to the state of it being on. Most often used in the form of it’s on when the state of onness is achieved. Also available in the more verbose form of it’s on like donkey kong.

• golden_worm says:

It is soooooo off.

• Nick says:

I’m fairly sure its not in any way related to what you think its related to, as if it was it would make Quinns a dick and I don’t think he is a dick.

• thebigJ_A says:

@Gundrea

Nintendo is sooo gonna sue you! Don’t ou know “It’s on like BLANKey Kong” is their own private property, in spite of them not having come up with it? Huh!?!

20. Gunnar says:

Stop smoking biome-grass, it makes everything seem grey!

21. Gary W says:

God bless Notch, he’s so adorable.

Just when you thought work finishes at 5pm — now you can arrive home, fire up Minecraft and it starts all over again. It’s like Ultima Underworld without all the pointless fun.

22. LimEJET says:

I like how nobody’s reacted to the nice little “communists are evil” touch that he adds by renaming Notch from Markus to Alexej.

ALL HAIL SOVIET SWEDEN! IN IKEA WE TRUST!

23. noodlecake says:

There’s an awful lot of whining and narking going on… Are people gonna stop moaning about the bloomin’ Fallout article? This is a blog site where the authors share their views about games. Everyone likes/dislikes different things for different reasons. Chill.

Coolies! Minecraft patchinessness. :)

24. Whelp says:

Isn’t the guy called Markus Persson?

25. Urthman says:

This might be sorta funny if there hadn’t just been another patch two weeks ago (The Halloween Update) that got so much attention that anyone vaguely interested in gaming heard of it.

26. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Oh no! An alpha with radical shifts towards new concepts of gameplay/art style/whatever…! :))

27. Flobulon says:

How dare you use your ‘satire’ on the website *I* read? I don’t come to this website to read your ‘wit’! Next time, I demand a simple list of condensed bullet-points, with absolutely no personality or humour, only pure information.
    This is an outrage, and you should all know better.

28. Zombie Pig says:

I may forgive, but I will never forget

29. Zogtee says:

Teacup. Storm.

30. eides says:

[Reagan] Here we go again [/Reagan]

31. fallingmagpie says:

Well, you know what they say: if life gives you melons, you’re probably dyslexic.

32. DaveyJones says:

I didn’t like Næw Vægas. Hurr durr. Also, Frankie The Patrician wins for most relevant comment in this entire thread.

33. Unaco says:

I approve of this post, and the general tone of articles on this site. It’s one of the reasons this is the only gaming site I read with any regularity (the other being I’m waiting for the rest of Officially Unintelligent & The Saga of Onion Brogues). This is the Hivemind’s site… it’s where they can apply their own personalities to the stories they post… their personal ‘blog’ kind of.

I did have more to write about the relationship we as readers/commenters have with the writers (it’s not equal), and the influx of new readers, how they perhaps don’t appreciate the established atmosphere of the site… but it’s late, and I want to go eat chilli.

34. Vinraith says:

Patching and updates should be opt in, not opt out, and certainly not mandatory. All the insulting snark in the world won’t change that. Minecraft may be a ridiculous example, being as it’s in alpha, but if for some reason someone wants to continue playing an earlier build that choice should be theirs.

35. Sinomatic says:

Slightly more ON topic (how dare I, I know….):

Can anyone actually suggest some good texture packs? And where to find them? (I’ll fully admit I’m being entirely lazy and not even looked)/

36. Cronstintein says:

Because the code is obfuscated, every time he updates it breaks all the (non-skin) mods. I’ve never seen anyone complaining about updates but if they are I bet that’s why.

Now you must play mod-free until people figure out which class is which again and fix their patchers. I can understand that being kind of annoying.

37. Chris says:

Minecraft virgin here: is there no opt-out a la Steam auto-update? I mean, I agree in principle, but I have a feeling the norm is shifting to ‘auto updates by default’ on digitally delivered content. If them’s the ground rules, at least everyone knows where they stand. (Where would we be if Windows didn’t do it by default?)

38. MOOncalF says:

Minecraft is alpha, Notch has every right to change it as he moves towards his idea of a completed product. I’m sure he does listen to his community on one level, but the idea that minecraft should stay the same unchanging is bollocks, look at the minecarts working in multiplayer! Wooo! :D I like it simple, and i’ll play it simple.

39. Jonathon Wisnoski says:

I agree their should be a opt-out for patches, but you make it seem like he is doing a bad thing when all he is doing is the industry standard.
    and part of it is multiplayer online game, so you would have to be updated to play with other people online.

40. geldonyetich says:

Too many people took the tone of this blog post literally. Notch releases patches every week, consistently, to the point where when he skipped releasing a patch one week, a bunch of anonymous 4chan types thought that deserved a denial-of-service attack against the website. Auto-updates aren’t a problem because we all bought the game with an understanding it’s a work-in-progress.

• noerartnoe says:

This;
      “Auto-updates aren’t a problem because we all bought the game with an understanding it’s a work-in-progress.”
      is giving some people WAY too much credit…

41. Dawngreeter says:

Is RPS now entirely about patches? When are you people going to stop this absolutely unnecessary coverage of patches, it is absolutely in no way proportional to people’s interest in them. How much are the patch people paying you to do this? Sellouts!

42. blah blah blacksheep says:

I sort of agree with you on the underlying premise. The game auto-patching itself can be a bit disturbing. There will perhaps come a time when one of those patches breaks something or requires you to start anew. Folks would get pretty miffed if that was forced on them. However, Notch has been operating in Sovereign fashion, where he thinks about the impacts first, and benevolently notifies folks before doing something drastic like that. And, to basically nullify your complaint…the game is in ALPHA, you KNOW the game is in ALPHA, and Notch has even stated several times that as production progresses you may find your saves get broken sometimes. So, you knew all of this before you started playing. Thus, I find complaining about auto-patching and never being able to play it “as it was” is a moot argument at this juncture. If you don’t like it, stop playing.

43. bill says:

The Point: “oh look! If we look down we can see the top of lots of people’s heads! so far down!”

Comment on this story