Reich Here, Reich Now: Reich Footage

By Quintin Smith on November 11th, 2010 at 4:24 pm.

Reminds me of that thing from The Metabarons.

A corpse has surfaced on the choppy waters of manshoot lagoon. Ignition’s multi-million dollar sci-fi Nazi-infused FPS, Reich, was cancelled last week. Ignition’s London studio was shut down back in September, and then the game was permanenty lost when the bigger Florida studio closed its doors last week. According to GI.biz‘s insider source, “A slice of the game revealed a [review] rating of 5.0 instead of the desired rating of 8.5.”

But those years of work and millions of dollars haven’t all gone to waste, because Ignition has released not one, not two, but FIVE videos of Reich. You can watch them below.

The first is just a cutscene, but the rest are more interesting. There are some curious and occasionally incomprehensible experiments with physics going on here.

This last one is the one you want to watch, I suspect. It’s got a zepplin’in.

Poor space-Nazis. I think if I’d been working on this game I would have spent the entire development cycle being sad that a Neo-Nazi is already a thing. And then I suppose I would have been even more sad when I got laid off.

__________________

« | »

1. Novotny says:

*Adopts Bernard from ‘Yes Minister’ face*
    Actually, lagoons are normally quite still. To get choppy waters, you need to have waves, which you simply don’t have in classic lagoons.

*runs away*

• Quintin Smith says:

Manshoot lagoon is choppy because everybody is in it, having fun. Come to think of it, I’m not sure there’s any water under all those men.

2. The Innocent says:

Wow. That actually looks like it could have polished into something interesting. As someone who played games like Quake II with no_clip permanently on so I could fly around and feel godlike, that second video had some real allure. Totally goofy-looking, but awesome at the same time.

3. MrThingy says:

I have no idea what’s going on in these videos, particularly the last one… but by Jove it looks THRILLING!

4. Flobulon says:

Love the Monty Burns hands in the second video.
    Interesting technology though.

5. Jambo says:

I wish i understood half of what was going on in those videos, but who cares this looks like huge amounts of fun! Is it cancelled for good or is someone else going to pick it up?

6. Jake says:

So it looks like you play a lunatic magician with a hatred of architecture while some poor nazis try and stop you. Am I the only one who just wanted him to stop making such a mess?

7. areyoutherebog? says:

There aren’t enough games with zeppelins in them.

• Lachlan says:

I was impressed by the looming doom-ship…then saddened when all it could muster was a few weedy booms that just knocked the dust about.

I played Freespace, dammit! I want to feel helpless as a a capital ship the size of Pittsburgh messes up the scenery, even if it would have be scripted to the eyeballs not to see me shredded in the first salvo. I hope more developers follow up on this. I haven’t been awed by something mighty overhead in an FPS since…well, ever.

Oh wait, the circling behemoth in an obscure Tron-like Battlezone clone released about two years ago. That was fun.

• BAshment says:

tanks universal?

also take that lincoln.

8. duncanthrax says:

Ze Reich will still win!

9. Justin Keverne says:

That actually looks quite a bit better than I was expecting.

10. Ateius says:

-1,000 points for absolutely atrocious dialogue (and that’s not counting the penalty for “sounding like a grade school drama student”, which I suspect is because it’s developer-voiced)

+1 million points for “I AM THE GOD OF PHYSICS” gameplay. I would have liked that.

11. Capt Fatbeard says:

Nothing says futuristic neo nazi’s other than death metal music

• destx says:

I hate to be that guy but that particular Ministry song definitely isn’t death metal.

12. Josh says:

Things I thought while watching the first 2 videos:

1.) I really hate that logo. It just makes me think of a knockoff Quake.

2.) Why spend all the time and money to create a engine from scratch when they could have taken an engine and customize it. I’m not seeing anything that couldn’t be done without using any of the other engines out there *shrugs*

• Wilson says:

@Josh – What about all the physics stuff? We obviously don’t know what kind of systems those videos were on, but if they could get physics like that working in game, I think that would be a pretty big thing. Are there engines around that can do that at the moment?

• bob_d says:

It actually is built on top of Unreal 3. Licensing an engine can easily turn into a nightmare, though, as you might discover that the primary gameplay features don’t “play nice” with the existing game engine, requiring lengthy and expensive reworking of the engine code to make it work. That’s something that often gets overlooked (until it’s too late) when licensing engines.

• LordCiego says:

You cant hate the logo when its the same one of an awesome game with the same name http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignition_%28video_game%29

13. YogSo says:

I had not heard of this before, but after watching the 5 videos I guess it can be compared to “the offspring of B.J. Blazkowicz and the Singularity guy throwing a party at Geo-Mod’s house after playing too much Doom 3″. And what’s with the “squared” Quake logo?

Maybe it would have been fun to play, but after the awful bit of exposition at the start of the second video I really don’t think we are missing too much… The destructible architecture looks awesome, though (but I haven’t played the last Red Faction, so I don’t know how it compares to that).

On the other hand, I have the feeling that a lot of ID fans would rather prefer this to Rage if they had to choose between the two.

• DrGonzo says:

The dialogue was pretty awful, but this looks like its trying to be Painkiller more than Half Life 2. I’ve never seen anything quite like that before, I would have loved to play it personally. The destructible scenery may not have been quite as realistic as Red Faction, but it sure did look more fun.

• Kefren says:

It’s actually a Quach logo.

14. jeremypeel says:

Ok, I’ve only watched the second video. But that doesn’t look like cancelling material to me.

Cheesy, sure, but pestle-and-mortaring bad guys with bits of pillars looks like fun. Where did they get that ’5.0 score’ from? Do devs have internal critics now?

• PleasingFungus says:

Big publishers will occasionally bring in game reviewers (as in, from games websites and such), swear them to dreadful secrecy, and have them review in-development games as though they were done.

It’s all very odd.

15. Graham says:

Watching the player slo-mo destroy the Lincoln Memorial IS pretty sweet.

16. Theory says:

Blimey. Eat that, Red Faction.

17. Ace says:

This game reminds me a lot of the Xbox 360 game Too Human. It seems to have the same futuristic/cyber medieval setting, and I even get the same odd feeling of “heaviness” from the characters in the videos.

• Ace says:

Maybe I spoke too soon. This was just my reaction after watching the first video. I am not so sure after watching the others now.

18. bikkebakke says:

that game actually looked… AWESOME

why are they cancelling?!

Can’t someone pick up their leftovers and finish it :(

• stahlwerk says:

The publisher basically said “Es reicht.”.

Thank you, thank you, I’ll be here all week.

• Spacewalk says:

Maybe it wasn’t made of the reich stuff.

• bob_d says:

“Can’t someone pick up their leftovers and finish it”
      Unlikely. It can be really expensive to do that even after you buy the rights. I’ve worked on a team that was brought in to finish a game after the original owners went bust; some of the original investors didn’t want to lose their money and decided to continue the work. I’ve heard of other expensive, almost entirely finished games (MMOs, mostly) that have had that happen; I have yet to hear a good result coming out of the situation. Problem was, it takes forever to learn how everything works; there isn’t necessarily any documentation, you usually don’t even manage to get all the original files and code, you don’t know what got finished, what’s broken, how to use the (undocumented) tools and production pipeline they set up, etc.
      In this case, the game wasn’t that expensive (relatively speaking), wasn’t content complete, and was based on a licensed engine (unreal), which would probably have to be licensed again (as would all the other middle-ware that was used). Unless the original makers suddenly find a few tens of millions of dollars under a seat cushion to continue development with, this game is most likely dead.

• geldonyetich says:

From what I gather, the reason why they’re canceling was because financial difficulties lead to them closing the Florida studio that made Reich. It is possible, however, that work will continue on Reich at a different studio, or that the product will be sold to somebody else to finish.

19. jthmmdom says:

Red Faction., realistic? pfaw

20. Navagon says:

It looks pretty cool. Like the latter stages of Necrovision combined with a PhysX demo.

21. Horatius says:

I don’t think Hugo Boss would have approved of the future Reich Samurai Cylon attire. Not tasteful at all… oh wait…

22. noobnob says:

How very very crazy. Did this use a newer version of the Havok physics engine or something?

23. Lord_Mordja says:

It’s a shame cancelled games don’t release what they have and let the community mess around with it, because this looked really, really fun.

It’ll never happen.

24. ZIGS says:

Well fuck me sideways, I want to play this right.fucking.now!

25. Gabbo says:

2nd video: Violence as a means to end violence, and then proceed to bring the building down around you with super powers and ridiculously overpowered weapons. Yes, that will get your philosophical point across… And who doesn’t like hearing ‘Shield of Faith’ used every now and again?

The physics engine looks like it could be used for interesting gameplay though, so it has that.

• Mister Yuck says:

I caught that too. Between her “we’re just using violence to set up our utopia” and her “we’re the next step of human evolution” she sounded exactly like, well, a Nazi… Hopefully the devs were going to run with that and not make the protagonists genocidal utopians, but the ham-fisted dialogue makes me doubt the writers have that much subtlety.

• redsquares says:

and the whole ‘next step in evolution’… that was pretty weird.

• OriginalStunner says:

hmm Maybe I’ll watch em

26. Tei says:

So is Quake1 meets Bioshock, meets Singularity, meets Tron.
    It seems a unique game, but the shotting look bad… maybe because In a game where you can launch whole buildings to other people, who cares about tiny lead pieces?

27. Pleonasm says:

“Apart from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play-test?”

28. superman says:

Looks like Red Faction on crack. This is what Necrovision should have been.

• Navagon says:

This game had probably ten times the budget of Necrovision. If you’re going to use a 2004 engine in a game then Painkiller’s is not at the top of the list unless you’re pretty much broke (by industry standards).

29. disperse says:

Awesome Jesus Jones reference in the caption.

My train of thought while watching the last trailer:

“Cool, Zepplins, why doesn’t he just blow them out of the sky with his rocket launcher?”

“It’s such as shame that they spent so much time on the engine and assets and weren’t any more creative than ‘space Nazis’.”

“Oh, the Lincoln Memorial, that’s such a cool addition, it’s hidden down here so the Space Nazis can’t destroy it.”

“Cool, Ministry.”

“Wait, why is the player destroying the Lincoln Memorial?”

30. DevilSShadoW says:

so you get to play a game that doesn’t require you to input cheat in order to be godlike? Sign me up!

31. Telke says:

Blimey. Obviously it wasn’t finished, the voices + I think you can see a bit of screentearing during some of the more explosive scenes, but it looks as though it would’ve been enjoyably insane to play.

32. Eddy9000 says:

They probably thought it would be finished by Christmas…

33. kalay says:

It looks like they could at least have got a fun budget arena destruction high-score game out of that fairly easily – Red Faction Guerilla has something similar but it doesn’t really have the same I AM AN ANGRY GOD feel.

34. fuggles says:

This actually looks great fun, especially the fourth video where you seem to abuse nazis with the ships from Elite. I’d rather play this than CodBlops, looks far more amusing!

35. Kevbo says:

I agree this looks sweet and am now sad that I can’t play as the god of gravity. Hope this idea inspires other devs to try something similar since it just looks different and fun.

36. BeamSplashX says:

It’s not reich, what they did to this game. It might’ve been very reichable had it come out.

37. skyturnedred says:

This game needs to happen.

38. filiptom says:

That’s some of the worst voiceacting I’ve ever seen, and the recoul is ridiculous. But the graphics, and the destructable crap, and the physics manipulation whatever. That’s awesome.

39. megaman says:

Destruction for the sake of destruction. The player looks so massively overpowering the enemies (and their architecture) that I’m wondering how long the fun would last.
    But during that time it would be insanely pleasing to wreck all the places the developers painstakingly constructed for us to destroy :P

• skyturnedred says:

This game would be awesome in small doses between playing other games, just have a few minutes of fun destroying everything with…everything.

40. Quake says:

What are these songs in 3rd 4th and 5th “gameplay” videos? Titles/bands anyone?

41. Araxiel says:

I just orgasmn’d…5 times. This game seems to be made out of total epic awesomeness.

And I was really surprised by the quality of the German in the last video. It was spoken by someone that actualy knows german and pronounces it right.