The RPS Bargain Bucket: Buy Mirror’s Edge

By Lewie Procter on November 13th, 2010 at 1:10 pm.

The security guard represents prices you see. BIFF!
There are some words between this sentence and the deal of the week, but you want to ignore those and skip straight to the deal of the week. Seriously, what are you doing still reading this bit? In the grand scheme of things this bit is totally irrelevant. You know the deal by now surely? Good games, low prices, silly abbreviations, I plug my web site and then we all have a lovely chat in the comments. It can only be the bargain bucket.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light – £7.46/€8.78/$12.02
Apply coupon “savemore”. Registers on Steam.
The online co-op patch just came out on the Xbox three hundred and sixty, so in theory it should be out on the PC soon too. Either way, it’s a perfectly enjoyable game played solo, and the spears are the only friend I need. Are there any other recent examples of long running series having a such successful complete overhaul? GOL is certainly a much smaller game than any of the recent Tomb Raiders, but I think it’s better for it. It doesn’t feel like the scope is limited, just more focussed. It’s surprising how quickly the Legend formula felt dated, although I’m certainly excited for that oft-rumoured reboot that Eidos have gradually been PRing accidentally leaking. Here’s wot John thought.

F1 2010 – £14.96/€17.61/$24.10
Apply coupon “savemore”.
F1 2010 is a simulation of F1, that came out this year. So accurate is the simulation, Codies even managed to recreate accusations of cheating and deception from the real life racings. The extent of my knowledge about F1 is that my Sister’s Boyfriend’s Mum gets very shouty when she watches it, particularly when that guy crashed his car on purpose for some tactical purpose that was completely beyond me. I tried that in the game, and I didn’t get showered with champagne or money, so I’d recommend against it. I guess it’s not a perfect simulation after all. RPS coverage here.

The Ball – £11.21/€13.19/$18.06
Apply coupon “savemore”. Registers on Steam.
John and Jim collaboratively opined about this just a couple of weeks ago, and said:

It feels like quite an old soul. The game reminded me, alternately, of Quake and Unreal. The initial level design felt very Quakey, but the ambience, and the creatures, very much reminded me of the original Unreal.

and

it’s almost as if you could sense of the FPS modder origins in it. There were bits where its heritage is very clear. But the result of that is that, occasionally, it looks really fantastic. I mean it’s mostly rooms and corridors, but there are bits where the rooms open up to mad ziggurats, or temples with giant bat-monsters flying about overhead.

They said you should probably buy it at full price, so now you should probably-and-a-bit buy it.

Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight – £4.99
UK only. Apply coupon “i41″. I’m not sure when the coupon expires, so be quick.
Many people were put off by it’s obtrusive internet requiring DRM (how bad is it? I’ve not used it myself), or by lukewarm reviews, much like this one from Mr Meer. Still, it’s got to be worth a pop right? It’s the last C&C ever, until they make another one. Here’s what he said about it:

On the one hand, it’s important to look at this as its own game rather than through change-fearing spectacles. On the other, it’s called Command & Conquer 4, and that bald bloke who keeps waving his arms and talking about ascension is all over it. It’s still aimed at the fans. That it is such a giant step away from the mechanics C&C has clung onto for so long is bold and exciting in concept, but so absolute in practice that it’s an insult to the faithful.

Deal of the week
Mirror’s Edge – £4.99/$9.99
UK Folk need to apply coupon “i41″ to get this price. I’m not sure when the coupon expires, so be quick. Only available in the UK/North America, sorry everyone else.
Are you sitting comfortably? Then I’ll begin. This is the story of the time that one of the biggest publishers in the world took a risk on a game about running and jumping. Mirror’s Edge is worth your attention because it is different. There’s not another game like it, and I doubt if there ever will be. You play as Faith, a human being that feels like a human being, and you have to get from A to B because of the story. It’s hard to put it in a genre box (hell, EA classify it as an RTS), but I guess it’s a first person platformer/racer, where it’s all about finding the quickest path and looking like a badass. Its greatest success is putting the person back in first person. Faith runs, climbs, jumps, and falls on her ass in a way that feels more real than any other game I’ve played. If you stand still after a sprint, you can see and hear her panting as she catches her breath. Her arms and legs are visible, and are very convincingly animated. It’s also strikingly beautiful. Just look at it. There’s more colour in 5 minutes of Mirror’s Edge than there is in most games. Most of the complaints made about it are fair, there are (very) occasional moments of frustration when the controls don’t quite do what you’d like. The story is made of fluff. It’s probably the only game that has cut scenes that look far far far worse than the in game graphics. The combat should be better, and running away should always be not just an option, but the fastest option. Still, if you can’t find something to love in Mirror’s Edge, you might want to go and see a Doctor about your missing heart. Here’s wot Alec thought.

Also of note:
CODBLOPS – £29.96/€35.26/$48.28. Apply coupon “savemore”, registers on Steam.
Risen – £9.99/€14.99/$14.99 (Warning: Has nasty TAGES limited activation DRM)
JoWood Promo

UK/EU only:
Fallout: New Vegas – £22.46/€28.79. Apply coupon “savemore”, registers on Steam.

UK only:
The Saboteur – £4.99. Apply coupon “i41″.
Mass Effect 2 – £9.99. Apply coupon “i41″.
Medal of Honor – £14.99. Apply coupon “i41″.

Remember to go visit SavyGamer.co.uk and buy lots of stuff so I get mad commission.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. byjimini says:

Doesn’t EA charge for re-downloading games that you’ve bought from them?

• Gunrun says:

Not anymore, they stopped a couple of years ago. They used to expire after 6 months.

• Lewie Procter says:

Nope.

This is actually an odd thing I realised yesterday.

Years ago, in the early days of EA Store offering PC downloads, they charged extra for “Download Protection racket“, where they would guarantee your download would be available for 3 years instead of the usual 6 months (iirc, definitely not more than a year).

I got Spore from EA store, but did not get download protection.

Now, 2 years on, I still have my download available to me. Not only was it a stupid bullshit charge, it was a stupid bullshit charge that literally did nothing. Pretty dishonest of them.

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Last time I checked there was half a year period to re-download OR you could buy an extended service – 2 years for 5 quids or so. Not really a great deal, but I’m not sure if it is still in place.

• Rich says:

“This is actually an odd thing I realised yesterday.”
      That wouldn’t be due to my voiced confusion yesterday evening, would it Lewie?
      I don’t know how they thought that was at all acceptable at the time. Imagine trying to compete with Steam et al. if you’re charging for additional, but still limited, service.

• Navagon says:

@ Lewie

It’s a Digital River thing. EA Store (and a lot of other publisher run stores including Telltale’s) use Digital River. The whole ‘only available for 6 months then pay more for further downloads’ thing is a part of their T&Cs.

Neither Telltale nor EA Store have that kind of limit imposed (anymore). I’m not sure how they got around it. Maybe they simply host the files themselves. But whatever the case it’s worth keeping away from other digital river stores until you’ve done some research on them.

• Medina says:

This is what I remember about how the EA store downloads work from when I was figuring out where to buy BC2.

When you buy a game from the EA store you are guaranteed to be able to download it for 1 year. Anything beyond that is at their discretion. Im not aware of them actually cutting people off though and Ive read forum posts where EA employess said they aren’t going to cut anyone off. But there is nothing in the terms stopping from doing it should they decide to.

Not really a big deal to me though. If you have a CD key you can download if from other sources if you get cut off.

• Heliosicle says:

I found that 6 months after i had bought BF 2142 I couldnt dl it anymore, this was back when they had the protection plan thingy, but 6 months after that I checked again and they had reinstated all my dls, seems they undid the no more dl thing for everything not just new sales.

• DrGonzo says:

@Lewie

And I payed that stupid bullshit charge for Crysis. I agree is a bloody disgrace. I feel like I should get C+C 4 for free or some kinda compensation for my stupidity. But in really I deserve it.

• Dozer says:

So, is it wrong to buy a game through the EA store, ignore the option to install the malware download manager, and obtain the game files through the same convenient avenues taken by people who don’t pay at all?

I have just bought Mirror’s Edge, always being annoyed at missing it when it was Very Cheap on Steam a few months back, but I’m not completely sure my PC is even capable of running it…

• Lewie Procter says:

The client itself is fine in my experience.

• DrGonzo says:

I’m using the EA Download Manager now. It’s not that bad really. Though it needs twice the amount of space on the hard drive, I’m guessing it downloads then installs unlike Steam. Other than that it’s fine.

• Koozer says:

I bought Northern Strike yonks ago from the EA Store, and it still shows up in the download manager. Maybe it’s a special case as it’s a download-only expansion though, if memory serves.

• sassy says:

I hate EADM with a passion. My ex used it to download “The Sims 3″ patches and was always a nuisance. One time my ex had left it to download a patch and went out expecting it to be downloaded when she got back, several hours later she returned to find that it had downloaded 14 GB of the 100 MB patch (yes those are the correct numbers, it was bloody annoying since I had a 30 GB cap at the time). I promptly uninstalled and will never allow it on any system I use again.

2. Simoroth says:

I agree! Buy Mirrors edge. Lewie gave it to me a day ago and I completed it in a single eye splitting sitting yesterday. Its bloody amazing.

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

It is amazing, and as LewieP says, it is also strikingly beautiful. Here’s a great gallery of images from it: http://deadendthrills.com/galleries/mirrors-edge/

• Mark Raymond says:

I rented, played and bought Mirror’s Edge for the 360, and really loved it. I estimate the PC version is roughly 10,000,000,000x better because of mouse and keyboard. There really isn’t anything else out there like it.

• Amnesiac says:

Very true!

I picked it up when there was a deal on Steam. Hadn’t heard good things about it but was interested enough to give it a chance.

I then proceeded to lose my weekend to a completely unique game. There really is nothing like it from mechanics to aesthetics. Was a great experience.

• mcnubbins says:

Well, I guess I should get around to playing it then if it’s really so good. I picked it up in a Steam sale also last christmas (something silly like 2 euros, I think?), but haven’t installed it yet.

• Carra says:

Mirror’s Edge is a good game.

But I bought it in last years steam deal for less than £5.

• jeremypeel says:

@Simoroth

Do the time trials, love the time trials, master the time trials, THE BEST HAS ONLY JUST BEGUN!

• Urthman says:

By the way, if you bought the Steam version and then were disappointed that EA didn’t bother to make the really cool DLC compatible with that version of the game, there is now a way to get the DLC working with the Steam version of Mirror’s Edge:

• LostSoviet says:

North American users can get Mirror’s Edge for the same discounted price from Impulse this week:

• Lewie Procter says:

@LostSoviet

If only someone had linked to that in the article.

• LostSoviet says:

@Lewie

My apologies. Hard to spot when it’s just the $ link and not mentioned in the text.

• DrGonzo says:

I thought it was quite a let down really. But it easily has enough awesome stuff in it for a fiver. I just felt it had so much potential that it didn’t live up to though. Please tell me they are making a sequel though.

Mirror’s Edge is lovely, and as someone who has it on Steam I have to stress that getting it from the EA store is vastly preferable, because the cool-looking abstract levels add-on isn’t compatible with the Steam version. I cry.

• Urthman says:

Way to read the thread, dude. Just five posts above you is a link to a mod that lets you use the DLC levels with the Steam version of the game.

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Risen—Oh, Risen. I loved your demo, and would have bought you, but you weren’t there when I needed you. You disappeared from Steam on your release day! That was more than a year ago. Now I see you’ve come back, and I still want to forgive you, but you’ve been infected by the debilitating TAGES disease. And despite my affection for you, I really can’t risk contracting that—my family has a medical history of severe complications due to DRM infections. But you can get better. Please, go see your publisher about it; they will be able to cure you. Then when you’re cured of TAGES, come back to me, and I will still love you and open my wallet to you.

• MadTinkerer says:

WHAT!?! Aw crap, I already bought it without checking for DRM. You should look a Bargain Bucket horse in it’s mouth and all that. (Though I actually bought it before I read the article.)

Still, I don’t have to actually install it until it’s no longer infected, so it’s not too bad.

• Lewie Procter says:

Sorry, I’ve added that detail now.

• blargh says:

@Velvet:

Retail version of Risen is available for the same price on Zavvi, and WITHOUT the limited activations. Unpatched, it has a disc-based protection, which was removed with the 1.1 patch they released a few months ago.

Mind you, if you’re outside the UK, shipping is not free, but at most it would end up costing an extra $5 over Steam’s price. A small price to pay to avoid limited activations.

Feel free to add that detail, Lou.

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Hooray! Thank you, blargh. You are my hero today.

• tekDragon says:

For what it’s worth the DRM was there on release as well. I bought it without checking, enjoyed the game immensly, too bad about the DRM.

• GoldenNugget says:

Well I got it and sadly there are no more Risen keys so I can’t play. You can still buy it though… Pretty annoying though.

I’ve always wanted to play Risen since I’m a Gothic fan but it never went on sale.

• DrGonzo says:

@Velvet

Yes get the retail version as I did. There is a crack out for it if you want to remove all the DRM completely, but I don’t think it’s neccessary. Risen was one of my games of the year though I never played the Gothic games.

4. Imperial Creed says:

Thanks for tip on CODBLOPS. The D2D discount makes it about €25 cheaper than on Steam. Good deal. (Can confirm it works in Ireland too, btw)

Oh, and buy Mirror’s Edge! So damn good.

• mrmud says:

To bad D2D wants to call me in order for me to be able to buy games from them (seriously wtf?). Made worse by it actually not working.

• Lewie Procter says:

Seriously? I’ve never heard of anyone else have that happen. Have you used them before?

• Diziet says:

That happened to me last time I ordered from them. It’s just an automated phone call that reads out a number. It’s harmless and costs you nothing. I believe it only happens once and it’s irrespective of territory.

• mrmud says:

First time user.
      I mean I already gave them my credit card info so I might as well give them my phone number as well.
      But yea, shit didnt even work, so no CoD for me.

• blargh says:

@mrmud:

Same here. Eventually after contacting support, it turns out that my country of residence is not supported despite the game being “available worldwide”. In fact, they specifically told me to go buy my games somewhere else since they could not accept my business.

Went ahead and had a friend in the US order for it me… and even for him, it took over 45 minutes of trying to get the purchase to go through since he either had a failed transaction or some weird recurring server error. And he also got the phone authentication thing, but at least it worked.. after a couple of tries that is.

Never in my life have I seen a service make you go through this much trouble just to give them your money. Quite amazing actually.

• Phinor says:

The thing that bugs me a lot with the phone call authorization (other than that it doesn’t work for me either) is that I have been buying games from D2D for two and a half years. I have ten games on my D2D account total. And NOW it wants me to authorize my purchases. Or rather, it wanted that three weeks ago when I was trying to buy New Vegas. Last week I tried to buy CODBLOPS and it no longer wanted me to authorize myself. Go figure.

• ivsounds says:

Same here. First-time D2D purchase, phone authorisation failed.

What a shame.

• EdgeReader says:

I also got the phone authorisation failure however I submitted a ticket on their support site and got a response back after about 1 1/4 hours and was then able to purchase the game as normal.

• mrmud says:

Thankfully they got back to me fairly quickly as well. Although I had to log into the ticketing system (mail didnt work) in order to find out that they had fixed my problem.
      So it seems that if you have problems, it definitely helps to submit a ticket.

Thermal Ions says:

Sorry if they’re going to implement that sort of rubbish, on top of their region restrictions they obviously _REALLY_ don’t want my business.

• Kilrathi says:

THANK YOU for the CODBLOPS discount tip. I feel like a trickster paying 45% less than the Steam price, especially considering it’s hardly a week old.

5. Alexander Norris says:

Mirror’s Edge is awesome and you should buy it and then you should all form a mob and go trash Epic’s HQ for requiring UE3 licensees to license the SDK separately because it’s their fault that we don’t have Mirror’s Edge mapping tools.

6. Xercies says:

Mirrors Edge despite all its flaws probably should be up there as a classic game, sure the last two levels are brain numbingly tedious and difficult but it does a lot in its game that no other thing has attempted to try. The running and platforming once you get used to it is bloody glorious. I really want there to be a sequel so they can improve and take the bad bits away.

7. airtekh says:

Mirror’s Edge is a good game, but it is a game which reeks of EA not having the balls to follow through with an otherwise excellent concept. It’s first-person parkour with beautiful graphics and art direction, shackled by linear levels, mediocre combat and an awful story.

If you’re going to do a game like this, you DO IT RIGHT. Parkour – about pure movement around a variety of urban landscapes – is an excellent game mechanic by itself. It didn’t need a few guns thrown in to make the game more attractive in pre-release trailers. It also didn’t need a largely restrictive level structure that limits experimentation with your abilities.

This game could have been so much more and it infuriates me that it isn’t. It’s definitely worth it at the discount price, but don’t go in expecting what I thought the game was, because you’ll be severely disappointed.

• Jinnigan says:

I disagree completely. I see Mirror’s Edge as being very similar to Assassin’s Creed: a parkour-game proof-of-concept, with an explosion in the second game as they figure out what’s good and what doesn’t.

Also, I think open levels would have messed with the pacing in Mirror’s Edge; it would be nearly impossible to have those exhilarating, terrifying moments of speed and escape in a wide-open world. Just look at Assassin’s Creed – a wonderful game, for sure, but never once was I as heart-pumpingly excited as I got in Mirror’s Edge.

• Nova says:

Yeah they should just have dropped the guns for faith and the comic cut scenes. The story in general could of course be better, but the occasions where they told it in game were not bad.

• msarge says:

I always thought Mirror’s Edge would have been a good game for Valve to have developed.

8. Diziet says:

To add my moneys worth, if you haven’t played ME please please buy it. It is an absolutely incredible game and one of few that I’ve started playing through again as soon as I’ve finished them. It is the only game since the heady days of the Amiga that I’ve completed more than twice just because it’s good. Not to unlock different endings or get stupid achievements but because the game is such a joy to play through.

9. Joshua says:

[quote]There’s not another game like it, and I doubt if there ever will be.[/quote]

There will be. Mirror’s Edge 2 is in development.

• Lewie Procter says:

Can you link to any evidence of this, I seem to only remember wishy washy maybes, and “We’d like to” statements.

• Mike says:

They’ve confirmed that they view it as an IP that will be developed further. They’re happy with it, apparently. Just no confirmation of it having begun yet.

Thanks for bigging up Mirror’s Edge. People didn’t do enough to push how wonderful it was. Recently I played it through with six or seven others in one night, only took three hours or so but it revealed how great it was.

• Lewie Procter says:

Yeah, I know they have the iPhone and iPad version, which I unknowingly scoff at.

Still, keeping the IP alive doesn’t mean we’re going to get a proper sequel, could be a facebook game or something.

I really hope we do get a sequel, if they genuinely learn from the mistakes it could be incredible.

• Urthman says:

There’s also a 2D flash version of Mirror’s Edge done by the same guy who does the Fancy Pants Adventures (featured a day or so ago on RPS) which is better than you’d think:

• jsutcliffe says:

Yeah, I’ve been wanting some concrete evidence of Mirror’s Edge 2 as well. I love that game.

10. noobnob says:

codblops.

Say it out loud: CODBLOPS.

Anyways, deals on GamersGate. Splinter Cell, SC:Double Agent, SC:Chaos Theory, Death to Spies/Moment of Truth and Majesty 2/Kingmaker expansions are deals worth looking at. Company of Heroes games discounts seem to be just another price reduction.

• Heliocentric says:

Splinter bell chaos theory is three of my favourite games:
      Single player,
      Coop,
      Versus
      All 3 are different and all 3 are worthy ‘hall of famers’. Nice to have it free of its original starforce, it has tages and people complain about that (rightly so generally) but gamersgate offer out activations far more freely than some other services who make an effort to make you feel like a criminal and phone up or pass the buck to the publishers.

11. Vague-rant says:

Can someone Yay or Nay “The Saboteur”? I was really interested in it, right up until it was released to average reviews. For 5 pounds though, colour me orange (thats the colour of intrigued right?)

• Vague-rant says:

Also, hows everyones experience with the EA store? I assume I need some kind of launcher installed etc.

• Larington says:

Myself and a few others thought the critical reception of The Saboteur was a bit harsh, I was quite happy to have payed for a day one release, myself.

AndrewC says:

Yay! Also Nay!

If five pounds is a significant enough amount of money for you to worry about spending it, do not spend it on this.

If, however, you gain immense joy out of ridiculous accents, offensive national stereotypes and immature attitudes towards boobs, this game is for you. Don’t even hesitate.

Otherwise you should buy Mirror’s Edge. Mirror’s Edge!

• Vague-rant says:

Wow that was quick! Thanks folks. Will probably buy it. At a fiver its not so much about the quantity as annoyingly thinking of it as wasted money if I don’t enjoy the game.

Also Mirror’s Edge (ME is a confusing acronym for me) has been on sale for like 3.75 on steam. I bought it then but I don’t remember RPS making such a huge fanfare. As an aside though, I thought it was pretty good with some foibles.

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

This game is awesome… Haven’t spent as much time with it as with Mercs 2 (35hours vs 95hours), but I loved it none the less. And to hell with MC/PC, I haven’t noticed anything all that insulting there. And boobs? Boobs are awesome! It’s a thrilling experience.

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

And yes, it was pretty much a day one purchase as for Larington…I remember we shot a few tweets about it back and forth at some point.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

It’s an absolutely great game. Experience the pure joy of killing wacky Nazis, blowing up stuff, and climbing all the monuments of Paris.

However, it doesn’t play all that nice with ATI cards.

• Wulf says:

Isn’t it yea or nay?

/pedant

• Jimbo says:

I liked The Saboteur quite a bit. I’d take Saboteur over Mirror’s Edge tbh, but both are worth playing through.

• Marcin says:

It was great. I’d play it over Mirror’s Edge – victory by repeating the same content over and over again isn’t really me, and blowing shit up while walking away from the explosion definitely is.

12. Chris says:

D2D prevented me from buying F12010 by insisting on verifying the purchase with an automated call. The system does not work.

Sad.

Lambchops says:

I hate you people. I played the demo of Mirror’s Edge and remember not particularly liking it.

Now you’re all saying it’s got something and because it’s you guys . . . I believe you.

I’m going to head off to the store now, most likely muttering under my breath.

• blargh says:

You’re a bad person. Yes, don’t argue. No, don’t even!

You can only redeem yourself by playing the game and loving it like it should be loved.

14. Xercies says:

I really want a racing game and at £15 that F1 offer is tempting, anyone can say whether its good or not as a racer…and whether I will need extra hardware like wheels or a controller?

• blargh says:

Get Dirt 2 instead. Very cheap, and much better than F1 2010, IMO.

• Xercies says:

I played the demo of Dirt 2 and to be honest i didn’t like it that much.

• Jason Moyer says:

It’s very good (especially after the patch) and something I put a few hours into nearly every day. Once some more AI modding is done (for the most part the AI is great, but there are a few tracks where they’re so slow in a few corners it destroys the challenge) it will be fantastic. Only racing sim I think I’ve ever played (besides stuff like GP Manager) with a proper career mode, too.

• Malibu Stacey says:

Wait for the impending “Thanksgiving” sales at the end of this month or wait until the Christmas sales & get yourself a copy of Burnout Paradise. I don’t normally like racing games but it has to be the finest racing game made so far. Criterion Games I salute thee!

15. ReV_VAdAUL says:

Please note people who buy Mirror’s Edge (which you should) and have an ATI card:

Physx is on by default and you’ll get terrible frame rate in the third or fourth level if you leave it on. Just switch it off (I never really noticed the difference) and the game will run fine.

• airtekh says:

Also, I remember getting some pretty awful screen tearing when I first loaded up Mirror’s Edge, I had to turn on Vertical Sync to get rid of it.

It might have just been my combination of my monitor and ATI card but just a heads-up in case other people have the same experience.

• Joshua says:

And no, it doesn’t make anyh difference if you leave it on or not.

• CMaster says:

Was just about to warn of this myself.
      A genuinely stupid default setting.

• Muzman says:

PhysX apparently makes the rendering way more detailed (or allows it to be). Which is a bummer. It looks great(er) like that.

• Unaco says:

Hmmmm…. Last time I tied to play it, I was letting my bro play it on my new spanky rig. First ATI card in about 6 years, and it ran like pants, when it ran better on a much slower system with NVidia gfx. Will try the PhysX thing, see if it runs a little better.

stahlwerk says:

PhysX in this game is applied to glass shards (you will notice DICE scolding you for your choice in graphics processing unit manufacturer when they first appear en masse), flags, and to the “plastic wrappings around construction thingies”, which are simply not rendered when PhysX is disabled. So if you want more crap crapping up your screen, enable PhysX, you sheepishly sheepish Nvidia fansheep. Baah Baah!*

(I’m not bitter, no not at all.)

*) Here’s a comprehensive comparison.

16. Taillefer says:

I only played Mirror’s Edge recently. It’s a mix of elation and frustration. When you actually get to run it’s fantastic, if over all too quickly every time. I didn’t like it as much as I wanted to, but I won’t focus on the negatives because it’s overall a positive experience and great game. And, yes, it’s still stunningly beautiful.

17. Drug Crazed Dropkick says:

Warning, Saboteur runs like a piece of crap. Still.

• Sam C. says:

Your mileage may vary. I have:
      AMD Athlon II X4 2.9GHz
      4 GB RAM
      GeForce 460
      and it runs great.

• DrGonzo says:

Just for reference.

I have-
      An Intel E6600
      Ati Radeon 4850
      2Gigs of ram

And it runs like pants. Playable but only just.

• ord teapot says:

further reference:

Saboteur runs excellently with maximum whizbangs at 1920×1080 on my cheapish but recentish system*. And to echo opinions from further above, this game is both stupid-fun and stupid fun. So stupid stupid-fun I guess. I also thought it was rather pretty.

*Athlon II x4 2.6GHzish
      4GB RAM
      Geforce GTS 250

18. Rich says:

Is CnC4 worth it for a strictly single-player “billy no mates” gamer?
    How exactly does it work when you’re on your own? Allied AI?

I get that it isn’t really CnC as we know it. Although CnC: Generals is first one I played to completion and genuinely enjoyed, so I’m not exactly a hardcore fan. Has it changed too much?
    I rather like the sound of the support character.

• Vodka & Cookies says:

Not really no, the maps are all multi-player based and they shoe horned in single player scenarios but it doesn’t really work that well. If your totally bored might be worth a go it’s easy enough to beat the game on single player its just not that fun

Basically if you want to know what happens Kane is a space alien trapped on earth for thousands of years, the whole tiberium thing was a means to an end so he could escape through the scrin gateway which he does in the NOD campaign. Then the game ends thats it, no further exposition and you learn all that at the very end literally.

• Matt says:

That’s the plot?? So they shit on the C&C gameplay AND the C&C mythos… awesome.

19. blargh says:

Worthy of noting:
    Risen is available on Zavvi for the same price as Steam. If you’re in the UK it’s free shipping, for everyone else it’s about 2.5 quid more (with those 10% off coupons we got a while back, it’s a bit less).

Mind you, the retail version does NOT have limited activations like the Steam version does, and the 1.1 patch completely removed the disc-check protection from it. No disc required in the drive anymore.

So, if you’re interested in Risen and don’t want to deal with or support nasty DRM, get it there.

20. Zwebbie says:

While I’d recommend Mirror’s Edge even at full price, I believe it tends to be sold cheaper in every Steam sale; I got it for €3,75, or $5.

• mwoody says:

Yeah, I think I’ve seen it at $5 in the past week or two, even. Can’t find a record of sales to check that, though, but still: $10 is paying too much, with the no doubt epic sales coming up for Black Friday / Christmas.

• Hybrid says:

Yeah, I picked it up for $5 last year. http://bit.ly/aReiQN

21. Andrew Farrell says:

Yeah, Tomb Raider about 4 years ago :)

stahlwerk says:

To be fair, that was more of a return to a tried and true (and fun) formula, that they somehow managed to ignore past TR2.

22. Evo says:

I was enjoying the Mirror’s Edge video Lewie linked in his post and then I stupidly decided to read some of the comments under the video. Someone commented:

“Would’ve been epic if it was third-person… Sorry, but IMO almost any first-person game except COD sucks.”

This is why we can’t have nice things.

• Taillefer says:

There’s also this one:

“I dont like tihs game cuz you are playing as girl,and i dont like her xD,thats why i dont want mirrors edge on my pc”

Yeah, never read youtube comments.

• Durkonkell says:

You have actually caused permanent damage to me by reposting those comments. My mental capacity is now irrevocably reduced.

Please, think of your fellow RPSers before reposting Youtube comments. My (rapidly diminishing) ability to perform basic calculations will thank you for it…

23. Graham says:

I really enjoyed The Saboteur. Meaty gunplay, fun disguise mechanic, lovely soundtrack. It’s a really fun, quality game, definitely overlooked on release. If you like open world urban games, get it.

24. Andreas says:

God, does anybody remember the days before digital downloads took off? When getting games on sale was just browsing aimlessly through hundreds of age old budget titles on HMVs pathetic PC selection?

God bless competition :)

Also, Saboteur for a fiver, yes please.

Arathain says:

I enjoyed those days. I remember it as a distinct pleasure of my teenage years. Getting to head into Belfast and look through the assorted game-selling stores for bargains was satisfying and fun.

Still, I do like our new digital download overlords. No more CDs, wonderful bargain weekends.

• Xercies says:

We weren’t all fat back then because we actually had to walk to the shops ;)

drewski says:

There are people who didn’t buy Mirror’s Edge in the Steam Christmas sale?

26. Navagon says:

Grabbed Saboteur. To put it mildly it seems well worth the money so far. There’s a slight lack of polish in some places but for a fiver who’s complaining? Not me.

27. Buzko says:

I want to support Impulse, I really do. I like Steam, but I recognise the benefits of competition. But Impulse hardly ever have deals I’m interested in, and when they do I’m almost always greeted with:

“Sorry, this item is not available in your region.”

This shits me off. I am off-shat.

• noobnob says:

Happens to me often, and the same goes to Direct2Drive. At least Steam hides the games that I can’t buy, though it should do a better job at hiding offers/sales, just like the GTA deal a while ago.

Thermal Ions says:

@Buzko

I agree. Feels like they’re giving me the finger every time I try to buy something from them.

28. Dominic White says:

Not exactly a bargain, but something pretty neat and relatively cheap that slipped under the radar is Divinigy 2: Dragon Knight Saga. I gather it’s £25/$40, which is relatively cheap.

Basically, the developers of Divinity 2: Ego Draconis took all the feedback/negative reviews to heart, and gave the game another year in the oven, along with developing a final act to the story/expansion, addressing the complaint of the cliffhanger ending, although I never played the original release.

From what I’ve read, they changed a ton – new graphics engine, total rebalance, more item variety, a lot of dungeons completely redesigned, etc. Think along the lines of The Witcher’s Enhanced Edition, but much moreso.

I’m a little over a third of the way through, and I’m having a blast. It’s a very pretty, solid third-person action RPG with a lot of tongue-in-cheek writing (kinda reminds me of Deathspank, but without trying so hard – the plot is at least mostly serious, but a lot of the characters and dialogue options are genuinely funny), a nice high-fantasy setting, and a bunch of cool gimmicks, including mindreading, making your own custom necromantic minion out of corpse-bits you gather, having your own fortress tower filled with underlings, staff and even your own personal Igor (Yesss, masssterrr?), and the biggest thing: You’re a goddamn dragon. Or can at least change into one at will once you’re about a third of the way in.

Being able to leap off a mountaintop, fall 200 feet and change into a firebreathing dragon in mid-fall is always fun and will probably never get old. Other neat stuff includes multiple solutions to most quests, smartarse dialogue options in almost every dramatic situation (sassing demon lords is fun), and an all-British voice cast. Hearing Welsh accents on villagers is such a pleasant change.

One of the most surprisingly fun RPGs I’ve played in ages.

• Taillefer says:

I was wondering about that one, actually. Thanks.

• Dominic White says:

Errm.. Oops – I meant DIVINITY 2. Divinigy just sounds weird.

Anyhoo, yeah – I got it just of the off-chance, really, as nobody was talking about it, and found that it’s actually really good, and something I’d reccomend to anyone who likes a solid hack n’ slash RPG. The developers site is quickly filling up with reviews scores in the high 80s/low 90s bracket, too, so I’m definitely not the only one who likes it.

From what I’ve heard, the initial release of Divinity 2 hit deadlines and budget constraints (which explains what is apparently a quite jarringly abrupt ending), but they took the money from the initial sales and poured it into the Redux version, and now have released the game they intended to.

• malkav11 says:

Worth noting is that if you own Divinity II already and just want the expansion content, you want to go with Gamersgate or possibly Direct2Drive, who will actually sell you the expansion separately for $20, and at least on Gamersgate they verify that it will work with the disc version (which I got dirt cheap from GoGamer a while back). Steam has the bundle and the bundle only. It’s quite annoying. And yes, they do have a discount if and only if you bought the game from them previously (for $50) but it makes the bundle $30 instead of $40. Way to screw your customers, Steam!

• Reallynotatroll says:

Dominic, sincere question, are you in any way intermittently sponsored by game publishers?

I don’t think I have ever read a single negative comment from you, and all the comments you do put up gush with so much praise for whichever title in question, that it goes far beyond suspicion at this point.

RNAT

Lars Westergren says:

@Dominic

Thank’s, I’ve been on the fence about that one, wanted to hear from one of the RPS regulars about it.

@reallynotatroll

I think it is pretty sad that someone being positive and enjoying themselves are grounds for suspicion on the internet gaming community. Nevertheless, I can remember plenty of examples of Dominic not liking certain games.

• Dominic White says:

Games I don’t like:

95% of MMOs
      99% of sports games
      Most modern ‘tactical’ shooters.
      Most games by Blizzard

etc etc. I could list everything, but then I’d be here for fucking weeks, and not playing games that I find enjoyable. Would you rather I spent more time trying to convince to have *less* fun?

• Dominic White says:

Trying to convince people to have less fun, even. Blargh.

I tend not to talk at length about things I don’t enjoy, because… well, I don’t enjoy it? If I’m not having fun with something, I shrug and play something that I find enjoayble, and don’t linger or obsess over it.

I am apparently not angry enough for the internet.

• blargh says:

Someone called my name?

Lambchops says:

It’s like a little prayer?

• Stu says:

I’m down on my knees?

• Arathain says:

Dominic, I’ve encountered several fun games I wouldn’t otherwise have from your recommendations. You’re enthusiastic and literate, and I really like your positive attitude to your hobby.

Keep it up, old chap.

• Dominic White says:

I just felt compelled to write a few paragraphs about it because I’m a sucker for any game that lets me have my own personal Igor. There’s just something inherently likeable about that.

• Decimae says:

Now, I need to figure out how, and whether, I’m able to buy it.

29. Sarre says:

VERY sadly, New Vegas is UK only. But I was happy to pick up CODBLOPS as a US-er anyway :)

30. Demiath says:

Wholheartedly agree with the endorsement of Mirror’s Edge. Played it on the PS3 first and a year later on the PC, and was absolutely blown away both times by its addictive precision-based gameplay and stunning art design which jumps out of the screen with the full force of an IKEA-powered ninja kick to the player’s visual cortex.

And hey, just imagine the potential of a Kinect-powered sequel which would invariably break a lot of legs and necks and thus (through the prudent over-use of lawsuits) get that peripheral off the market once and for all! ;)

31. Eclipse says:

Too bad Mirror’s Edge DLC doesn’t work on the Steam version, I’d buy that

32. eswat says:

Holy crap, I didn’t know D2D coupons that expire on the North American site were still valid on the UK one. Picked up Carl of Duty: Black Ops. Danke.

33. CMaster says:

Oh, also a note about the EA Download manager – unless the new version of it has changed, it does not download the latest patched version of the game. You still need to patch as you would a boxed version after install.

34. bleeters says:

Mirror’s Edge: First person River-Tam-meets-The-Matrix delivery ‘em-up. Ish.

35. sinister agent says:

Adding to the “Buy Mirror’s Edge” crowd here: Everything Lewie and most other people on here have said is quite true. I got it for a fiver, and it’s well worth it. It’s the first time I’ve liked EA for about 12 years, and I sincerely hope they put out a sequel that learns from the mistakes of the first (which by no means ruin the game; they merely hold it back).

36. WJonathan says:

So was there ever a patch or revision to cure (what I read were) the terrible difficulty spikes at certain points? That’s what always turned me off from trying it.

• Urthman says:

I think you can get a trainer to give you infinite health — you can ignore bullets, but falling still kills you. Some people say that’s the best way to play the game.

I played on easy, thinking that would make the combat less annoying without affecting the cool free running. It seemed to work. I never got stuck behind a difficulty spike, and I’m pretty rubbish at games.

37. Unaco says:

I’ll add to the Mirror’s Edge praise. At that price, it’s likely worth a buy for most people, if they haven’t played it yet. I think I may have seen it cheaper, on Steam… not much cheaper, 80p – £1… so still worth it for the price of a-pint-and-a-chaser (in England), or the price of two-pints (Scotland). One thing I would add, however… I don’t feel that “[t]he combat should be better”, I think the combat should be removed, stripped, purged from the game, forgotten and never spoken of again. But that might just be me.

• Lambchops says:

Thanks for remindhow much more expensive pints are here in Englandshire than they were back home.

I’m off to ontinue grumbling!

• Rich says:

From the quality of your typing, I’d guess you’ve spent about a tenner already.

38. Ravenger says:

Risen has Tages limited activations on steam AND they’ve run out of keys, so if you buy it you won’t be able to activate it right away.

39. Vinraith says:

I’m kind of surprised to see such universal praise for Mirror’s Edge. While the styling is certainly impressive and the concept is cool, I found the actual gameplay to be little more than an exercise in repetitive frustration. First person camera aside it’s ultimately a timed platformer with bad combat, if that doesn’t sound appealing I’m not sure it’s worth your $5.

• Bullwinkle says:

Seconded.

• Muzman says:

I’m not sure what a timed platformer is exactly. I can’t recall any instances where you were jumping between platforms constantly moving in a pattern like most platformers (ok one in stormdrains and it’s not constantly moving).
      I can’t argue people into liking it, of course. But for the sake of it I’ll say just calling it ‘a platformer in first person’ doesn’t do it justice. Its first person mechanics are just about unique and a really major achievement for interraction and, dare I say it, immersion. The design then backs it up by not throwing in typical platformer mechanics and being fairly realistic for the most part

I’ll happily admit, though, that if if that part doesn’t work its magic on you then the game is in a lot of trouble.

• bill says:

The main post sums it up. Originality. Personality. Style. Immersion. Flawed. But if you can’t find something to like in it….

Personally the first half was the most fun i’ve had in a game since Sands of Time. It did go a bit downhill in the 2nd half though.
      (infact, it seriously needed a rewind button to take all the frustration out of it. )

• Vinraith says:

@bill

I can find plenty of things to like in the style and personality, the problem is I don’t like the gameplay so actually, you know, [i]playing[/i] the game is a chore instead of a joy.

• bill says:

I deeply enjoyed the gameplay. Except for the terrible combat.

But in general, for most genres, i can’t really separate gameplay from experience. if the game is a great experience, it doesn’t need great gameplay.

Mirror’s edge without the art style and setting wouldn’t have been half as fun. But that doesn’t mean i didn’t really enjoy running around rooftops, figuring out how to get to places, making great leaps, and escaping from enemies. I sunk a pretty large amount of time into the time trials, which were possibly more fun than the game as they didn’t have enemies.

But it faced the same problem that most games do – how do you make games varied without combat. And also the same problem that many platform/escape games do – how do you make escape runs tense, challenging and exciting without making them (a) fake or (b) frustrating.

I thought it did ok with the second one (though as i said think a rewind button would have made a huge difference and they should really put one in the sequel). The first one they chickened out of in the second half and i had a lot less fun when i couldn’t avoid the bad guys.

But the fact that I enjoyed simply running around a rooftop so much is a pretty good testament to their basic gameplay – i think.

IMHO they should skip all the combat, and go for something like Mirror’s Edge meets portal meets Amnesia for the sequel. More freeform paths. More physics and environmental puzzles.

• Vinraith says:

@bill

I deeply enjoyed the gameplay.

You and clearly a lot of other folks, and let me be clear that I’m not objectively criticizing Mirror’s Edge’s gameplay (outside the combat, which most people seem to dislike), I’m saying it didn’t work for me. The reason I commented is that I bought the game as a result of a thread exactly like this one, filled with praise and hearty recommendations and almost no counterpoint. I was concerned about the camera awkwardness with the jumping, concerned with the timed platforming, but I liked the visual style and other people’s enthusiasm convinced me I was worrying needlessly. I think other people in my position, who don’t think this kind of game is necessarily for them, who’ve played the demo and not been drawn in, benefit from at least someone in the crowd saying “much as I wanted to, I didn’t really care for it” so that they’re aware their caution is warranted. Absolutely anyone that enjoyed the demo, or likes the sound of the game with minimal reservation, should be buying it for $5. My sole point was that not everyone should.

• Per says:

This is why I love RPS. People can disagree, but still have a nice and proper discussion

Lambchops says:

OK gentlemen and ladies, I need some EA download manager help here.

How the blazes do I delete a game’s install files so I can redownload them. Apparantly one of them is corrupt so I can’t install Mirror’s Edge. However I can’t for the life of me find away to try downloading them again to get them in intact form.

Cheers

41. Robin says:

I got Mirror’s Edge for free thanks to an EA download store error (possibly brought to my attention by this very column).

It’s not worth the time it takes to download and install it. Lazy port of a stubbornly one-note platformer.

42. Ravenger says:

I loved Mirrors edge. The visual style is beautiful, and the parkour gameplay very immersive. They made the mistake of allowing you to steal guns and the gunplay isn’t very good though.

Also the between level manga style cutscenes were rubbish, whilst the in-game stuff from your POV was very well done.

Definitely worth having.

43. Lucas says:

I wish Fallout New Vegas conversations looked like The Saboteur’s third person spin-able view. NV’s 2-foot-stare talking head conversations with “here it comes just wait oh almost okay now… ” zoom-ins are incredibly tiresome. The Saboteur’s PC port is fairly good, and I did eventually blow up all the stuff on the map.

44. The Hammer says:

I really enjoyed the bits I played of Mirror’s Edge, up until the point you had to scale a building from the inside (I think it was the bit where you’re trailing the wrestler…?). Once the game slows down and the momentum is cut short, it turns into an ugly-to-play game.

I think I’ll try and solve the puzzles at one point, but I uninstalled it soon afterwards. Agree that it looks lovely though, and when it works it’s a real, delightful treat.

45. castle says:

FYI, the “savemore” d2d code appears to be UK only. Doesn’t work in the US, at least.

• Lewie Procter says:

Do you mean doesn’t work on D2D.com, or doesn’t work for you on D2DUK?

Because people outside of the UK can use the UK site (that I linked to).

• castle says:

oh, thanks for the clarification. i was indeed trying on d2d.com. i’ll give the UK site a try.

46. Dave says:

Pretty sure that’s what I paid for Mirror’s Edge a year ago or more.

I dunno. I wanted to like it, but got to a section where this huge elevator platform thingy rises up and there are about fifty dudes trying to kill me and ARGH.

Also, big-time motion sickness, just like HL2 did before I adjusted the FOV.

I applaud them for taking a chance with something new, and breaking the “I can’t see my legs” thing… but it didn’t work for me.

(Argh, I hate this CAPTCHA thing. That was definitely 8PZ7, what else could it have been?)

47. rollingeyes says:

So here I am.
    Looking at every other line, reading “DRM”.

Thinking to myself “Well, you guys all just ALMOST had a customer. Too bad for you. Toodles.”.

I do not think this situation is going to change, neither from my nor their behalf.

I just sincerely wish everyone would react like me, so that we could all just press the really big reset button for all this “I don’t trust you – yea well we don’t trust you either”stuff, let them go broke, restart and get on with things.

Seriously, wtf people.

48. Swyyw says:

I gotta be the only person who didn’t like Mirror’s Edge. I bought it for about 5€ on a steam sale a few months ago, and even at that price I almost regret it. It’s an original concept, it’s visually superb, the animations are great, but the gameplay is horribly frustrating. Granted there’s a few epic moments, but the rest of the game will have you wonder what you’re supposed to do and where you’re supposed to go (there’s a button that’ll make you face your destination, but it’s not much help when it’s not downright misleading).
    WTF moments include a seemingly invincible boss with no hint whatsoever on how to defeat it, and getting stuck at an impossible jump I never managed to get right until the 300th failure where I survived the fall thanks to a glitch.

The basic game design issue is that you never know if the jump you’re attempting is the one you’re supposed to, and you’re failing because you’re not doing it well enough, or if you’re just trying to do something that’s impossible and you need to try something else. And of course, you’ll fall to your death between each attempt, losing in the process any sense of immersion or urgency the game desperately tries to instill.

The only redeeming quality is the length of the game, short enough to convince you to keep playing to see what the end is about. “Worse game I ever finished” would be how I describe my experience with Mirror’s Edge.

49. ivsounds says:

Anyone manage to activate their D2D CODBLOPS (argh) on Steam?

I’m trying through the “Activate a product on Steam” menu, but I might be doing it wrong.

• Sarre says:

Yup – it worked fine for me. Just copy-and-pasted the activation key.