Almost Twenty Minutes Of: Darkspore

By Jim Rossignol on November 15th, 2010 at 2:34 pm.

Collecting DNA: a sticky habit
The Darkspore team are busy getting their game, Darkspore, finished off, and they’re also flexing their hype muscles in prep for the big launch. Below you can see they’ve gone and played through one of the levels co-op, and explained what they’re up to. A “walkthrough” is what they’re calling it. Could catch on. There are a few interesting insights in there, too, such as the variety of combat skills, and the fact that the enemies are spawned and controlled via an AI director, as you would get in games such as Left 4 Dead. It’s a huge chunk of game footage, so if you want to know more about this game, this is where your eyes should stare.

, , .

1. UncleSmoothie says:

That look cool in an “I’ll buy this on a £10 Steam sale” sort of way.

2. SquareWheel says:

I don’t think I can buy anything with “Spore” in the name.

3. Allen says:

Buy the way Its really cool ..

4. Eclipse says:

wow, never thought I would be interested in a Spore spin-off…

5. Mac says:

Pre-ordered for £15 on EA Site … seems about the right price

6. Eamo says:

I wasn’t expecting much from this but I am very very impressed by what I see. This has a lot of gameplay potential and I will be looking forward to it a lot after seeing this.

7. Rane2k says:

Looks solid, the mechanic of 3 characters forming your overall build might differentiate this enough from Diablo/Torchlight/etc.

I still think that calling this “squad-based” is wrong, but if it´s good they can call it chicken pizza and it´s okay. :-)

• Jimbo says:

If I ordered chicken pizza and ended up with this I would be furious (and hungry).

8. the wiseass says:

I’m confused. What does this have to do with Spore? It looks more like a semi decend diablo/torchlight/dungeon siege clone. Will there be features from the first game present in this one, or is it a completely unrelated spin.off with a stupid name?

I mean, it would be kinda awesome if you had the evolutionary creation process to model your different heroes and the exploration of the galaxy stage where you can visit literally thousands of planets, encounter mobs created by other players and murder them diablo-style.

• orpheusx says:

@the wiseass

From the darkspore.com site:

Collect an arsenal of living weapons – genetic heroes with different combat abilities – and upgrade them with tens of thousands of collectible body parts and armor. … Make your heroes truly unique and deeply customized in an enhanced version of the award-winning Spore Creature Editor.

9. Sucram says:

Don’t know why they are bothering, this will be nothing compared to Diablo III.

10. Josh W says:

That’s actually very interesting, the basic game looks clever, with a good combination of adrenaline and having to read the situation, and good multiplayer potential (I hope they make control systems for more than one player per computer). If they set up the AI director to compensate for your stratergies, even if it’s as simple as randomly mixing up enemy types and timings when your succeeding too well at a certain foe, then that would avoid the problem of finding a best build, and increase longevity even if the game doesn’t have too much depth. If it does, and the creation system allows you to make nuenced and creative choices about your guys, then it could be pretty amazing.

Looks a bit like they put the effort into the game rather than the marketing, which is a move I approve of, however naff the name.

I’ll be keeping an eye on this game.

11. dado says:

This looks terrible and non-fun.

Diablo-esque shooters are actually very difficult to get right. Better teams and more experienced publishers (in the specific genre) have tried and failed. Hellgate London is a great example.

This looks like it’s going to make Spore look like a good game in comparison, and that’s really saying something.