O Kaptain! My Kaptain: Kaptain Brawe Demo

By Quintin Smith on November 15th, 2010 at 5:25 pm.

When I first saw this screenshot I thought he was saying 'rowbot'.

What’s this? Why, is it an irreverant indie point’n'click game in the style of old scumm engine titles? It is! Hooray!

If you like, you can watch the Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe New World trailer below. If you like that, then you can get the demo here. If you like the trailer and the demo, then you can buy the full game from Gamersgate for the price of $20. Would you like that? I think it’s likely.

It’s a looker, this one. And works on Macs, too! Excellent.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Hmm says:

It got praised on adventuregamers.com, so it must be at least good. Downloading the demo.

2. outoffeelinsobad says:

Exult o shores! And ring o bells!

3. BooleanBob says:

I know the ur-source is Walt Whitman, but please, invoke ye not the Space Racist.

• Bret says:

I’m sorry, the official term is “Spacist”.

Although “Space Hitler” and “Taking at least somewhat sensible defense precautions regarding possibly hostile foreign nationals” are both also accepted.

4. Navagon says:

Oh man that does look good. Proper old school Lucasarts style in HD (that’s not just a paint-over). I’ll have to try the demo.

5. Sinomatic says:

‘Tis rather pretty indeed. Not sure I’d pay that much for it, however I can see that being in my sights come sale time…

6. sfury says:

“That doesn’t work.”
    “That doesn’t work.”
    “That doesn’t work.”

Seems like the good ol’ point’n'click adventures alright.

Though any game that mentions “FINE Bulgarian steel peeler” is a must-buy for me.

• Maelig says:

Funny how what was seen as a major flaw / pain in the ass in point & click adventures became a nostalgic running gag, heh?

7. Lachlan says:

I was a leeeeetle dubious to see “That doesn’t work” portrayed as a fuzzy nostalgic feature rather than an irksome, irritating compromise brought about by limited memory and writing time…but the rest of the trailer got me interested in the demo.

8. Lambchops says:

Looks very pretty. I’ll be trying the demo and buying if it tickles my fancy.

Also Lachlan’s spot on with “That doesn’t work.”

9. Bobsy says:

Er. No voice acting? All that time, effort and cash spent on beautification and no voicing at all? That’s a pretty big hole to leave.

• noom says:

Some holes are good holes.

• Lambchops says:

Better no voice acting than shit voice acting though.

I’ve got to say I don’t mind, there’s something I find rather nice about imagining voices in my own head anyway.

Hmm . . . reading that back that sounds ever so slightly mental.

• JP says:

That makes me more interested, not less. I’ve never found voices add to my adventure or RPG gaming, beyond lots of cut off sent-. As I read so much faste-.

• My opinion is terrible and I'm sorry says:

My copy of Sam ‘N’ Max Hit The Road was entirely devoid of any voice acting for some unknown reason, so yeah. This should be a real nostalgia hit for me.

10. Shazbut says:

If anyone’s looking for a free adventure game, I can recommend The Journey Down very highly. I just tried it this morning.

Will give this a punt.

11. noom says:

Seems I have a craving for a good point’n'click, seeing how as I bought AlternativA on a whim on the weekend. That, however, is not seeming to fill the hole so far. This just might…

12. patricij says:

Not really impressed… I always liked SIERRA adventures (and its clones like Al Emmo) more, anyway.
    What I don’t like here:
    No voice acting, not enough “try and laugh” (you would’ve thought pointing a gun at a planet would trigger something funny…but no), the solutions are “little bit” too easy to guess and rather tedious, music is..well…pretty boring and the demo is generally too short to really get a better picture..

• LionsPhil says:

• LionsPhil says:

Really? Dang. You’d think after all that effort on lush, painted graphics, they’d also be pouring love into the “devteam thinks of everything” angle. And while no VO is better than terrible VO, that’s still not good. Sigh. I guess competent VAs are expensive for the kind of budget you can get for a straight-up adventure these days. Also, this spam filter is terrible.

13. mandrill says:

Just to bring everyone down and point out where the pun headline comes from (and it’s not The Dead Poets Society):

O CAPTAIN! my Captain! our fearful trip is done;
    The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won;
    The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
    While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring:
    But O heart! heart! heart!
    O the bleeding drops of red,
    Where on the deck my Captain lies,
    Fallen cold and dead.

O Captain! my Captain! rise up and hear the bells;
    Rise up—for you the flag is flung—for you the bugle trills;
    For you bouquets and ribbon’d wreaths—for you the shores a-crowding;
    For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning;
    Here Captain! dear father!
    This arm beneath your head;
    It is some dream that on the deck,
    You’ve fallen cold and dead.

My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still;
    My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will;
    The ship is anchor’d safe and sound, its voyage closed and done;
    From fearful trip, the victor ship, comes in with object won;
    Exult, O shores, and ring, O bells!
    But I, with mournful tread,
    Walk the deck my Captain lies,
    Fallen cold and dead.

Written by Walt Whitman after the assasination of Abraham Lincoln.

Here endeth the lesson.

• Lambchops says:

How inconsiderate! If You’d had the decency to post that before University Challenge was on then i’d have got an extra question right.

14. geldonyetich says:

Having finished the demo, it looks to me like it borrows heavily from classic Lucasarts adventures. This is not necessarily a bad thing, albeit being less original via the borrowed framework.

15. Trayder says:

I must have missed some kind of meme, I’m seeing Space Australia everywhere lately.

16. Dominic White says:

Ye Olde ‘That Doesn’t Work’ just doesn’t fly these days. Last indie adventure I played through was Time Gentlemen, Please, which was notable for having a unique response to almost almost every single wrong action, often working as a subtle hint to push you in the direction of the right one.

If you can’t afford voice acting, then at least some extra effort into the text so that you don’t end up with the modern equivalent of a confused Infocom parser.

17. Dominic White says:

Attempting to repost this, as it says my last attempt was eaten by the anti-spam filter:

18. Dominic White says:

I’m having to post this reversed, because the RPS comment software thinks it’s spam. Use this page to un-reverse it; http://textmechanic.com/Reverse-Text-Generator.html

.resrap mocofnI desufnoc a fo tnelaviuqe nredom eht htiw pu dne t’nod uoy taht os txet eht otni troffe artxe emos tsael ta neht ,gnitca eciov droffa t’nac uoy fI

.eno thgir eht fo noitcerid eht ni uoy hsup ot tnih eltbus a sa gnikrow netfo ,noitca gnorw elgnis yreve tsomla tsomla ot esnopser euqinu a gnivah rof elbaton saw hcihw ,esaelP ,nemeltneG emiT saw hguorht deyalp I erutnevda eidni tsaL .syad eseht ylf t’nseod tsuj ‘kroW t’nseoD tahT’ edlO eY

19. Kristian says:

I was trying to post this comment reversed, but failed. But you can use this page to reverse it; http://textmechanic.com/Reverse-Text-Generator.html

I agree with your opinion. Zombie Cow’s adventure games really makes up for the lack of voiceacting with the amount of dialog.

The funny thing is that this one actually seems to be influenced by full throttle and doesn’t have VOs…

20. Colin says:

It’s got a Linux port too! I approve.

21. Wulf says:

Brawe looks like he’s in a customised Vault suit. Now you won’t be able to unsee it, you also won’t be able to unsee that he was from the Seamen Vault.

Anyway, I really don’t understand the myth that surrounds good voice acting actually requiring huge amounts of money, it simply isn’t true. Look at, for example, The Lost Spires for Oblivion, it’s especially impressive because the Argonian sounds better than the stock Oblivion Argonians, by a truly massive margin.

Another great example is the Clan Quest Mod; of which here’s a sample. Look up the other videos of it, too. It’s as good as the voice-acting of a lot of AAA games, not movie-quality, but in the gaming industry… what is? It’s still bloody good though, which shows that the talent is there.

The thing is, shit voice-acting doesn’t happen because of a lack of money, but rather because of a lack of time, or a lack of the inclination to care. If I were to get involved with an indie development team, and I needed voice acting, the first thing I’d do is actually poke some of the people who’ve done the best voice-acting for mods to see whether they’d be interested in a job.

Finally: Telltale.

Telltale is indie, they started out with just some very average Bone games (which I enjoyed nonetheless) and since then they produced Tales of Monkey Island, which is frankly one of the best adventure games I’ve ever played, and definitely the best Monkey Island game, period. (So controversial, I know, but it’s how I feel. I ask you to deal with it.) They managed to get some pretty decent voice acting in their games, Winslow is a great example of this, they matched Sam & Max up decently whilst not being able to find/afford the original voice actors, and so on, and so on.

Really, if they wanted decent voice acting, there are a number of ways they could get it in there without breaking the bank, there are a number of amateur voice actors out there who’d likely appreciate the job, after all. You don’t have to hit up a bunch of disinterested ‘professionals’ which would doubtlessly result in shit, listless voice-acting, when there are amateur enthusiasts out there who’re really, really good at what they do.

Comment on this story