Two New Super Meat Boy PC Characters

By Quintin Smith on November 16th, 2010 at 10:40 am.

Is it still platforming if there aren't any platforms? I propose: painforming.

We have a date! Super Meat Boy will be squelching onto the PC in exactly two weeks, boasting six (SIX!) exclusive characters. We already knew two of them- MineCraft guy and Captain Viridian from VVVVVV – and two more have been announced this morning. Ooh, and Team Meat has also mentioned that from November 23rd, anyone pre-ordering the game on Steam will get SMB for the price of $10, as opposed to the game’s full price of $15. Now, those characters.

The first is. THE HEADCRAB:

About whom Team Meat say this:

‘Some of you (trolls) may be thinking “HAY HEADCRAB ISNT INDIE, FUCK YOU SELLOUT ASSHOLES” Well….I dare you to turn down a Headcrab. They are adorable.’

And the next character. IS: THE GOOBALLS FROM WORLD OF GOO.

About whom Team Meat say this:

The Goo ball will be basically identical to Gish, except obviously cuter.

I eagerly anticipate the comment thread when this game finally comes out and I can listen to you all gibber and squeal in terrible pain. Ooh, it’s a tough game, this one.

, .

1. SquareWheel says:

I really wish there weren’t so many different versions. I want to buy once and have all the characters.

• TotalBiscuit says:

Tough? It’s not unusual (to be loved by anyone) for different versions to have bonus characters. Been happening for decades.

• Bhazor says:

Yeah. Why, why, why (Delila) do people get upset about different versions having different content? I mean I guess having to complete the game multiple times in different formats would be a downer and it would have been nice to be able to import saves from other versions.

• Wilson says:

@Bhazor – I assume it’s because they would like to have that extra content, but aren’t going to buy multiple copies of the same game, and so can’t. It just feels like you might be missing out on something more than it feels like you’re getting something specially for you.

• Quasar says:

Yeah, it happens. What’s new? (pussycat)

• Miguelese says:

Will Tom Jones be a character in the next release? If so I (who have nothing) will wait, and will it be called Super Meat (Boy from nowhere)

• stf says:

Its a shame that the spelunky character wont be in the pc version; though i wonder if one of the new characters will replicate his (sex) bomb power

• Bhazor says:

His (sex) bomb power? I ((Who have nothing)) think that just sounds wrong.

As an aside Tom Jones new album Praise and Blame is actually really good. I am a gogged.

2. Mark Raymond says:

It is very good; probably better on the PC, as well. With all that extra crap, I wish I’d gotten it for the beige box instead of the XBox. Probably worth hooking up a controller, though.

I also love the intro. Music reminds a bit of Dizzy for some reason. Happy days. :)

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Do they even make beige boxes anymore? That was such a modern colour.

• Vague-rant says:

I’d prefer the “white-that-slowly-discolours-to-beige” boxes, but admittedly that doesn’t really have quite the same ring to it.

3. pakoito says:

You missed that robot from machinarium announce!

4. Popish Frenzy says:

Quinns lording over us peasant pc gamers atop his xbox throne..why team meat, why! *sob*

Edit: oooooh Josef from machinarium! *glee*

5. MarkSide says:

I know I’m gonna hate this game… But it looks… so … good…

6. yonassassin says:

Pre-ordering from Nov 23rd?

Wasn’t it supposed to be released in the last week of Nov?

7. Mac says:

Too close to christmas – may as well wait for the Steam January Sale now, and pick it up even cheaper …

8. Quxxy says:

Yay, SMB! Can’t wait until this hits Steam.

(This comment used to be something else; I got the “Overzealous Spam Filter” story and this page mixed up. Whoopsie.)

9. el Chi says:

The headcrab looks disturbingly like an uncooked whole chicken. I always imagined headcrabs tasting more like fish.

• Quintin Smith says:

Oh, someone needs to mod that into Half-Life 1 and 2. Uncooked chickens, flinging themselves around the level and onto heads. For full surreal effect you’d need to remove their screeching too.

10. Henke says:

I’ve completed almost all the levels(including Dark World levels) up until the chapter 3 endboss “Brownie”. One of these days I will beat that piece of s**t.

• iainl says:

Brownie is a bit of a sticking point, yes. Don’t worry, though, make it past there and Worlds 5 and 6 are waiting to hand you your arse in a far more painful manner.

11. goatmonkey says:

I don’t know if this is my sort of game but I want it, don’t have a PC at the moment though silly breaking graphics card RMA hopefully won’t take long

12. DeepSleeper says:

I think the idea if that if you preorder it on Steam, you get Headcrab, if not you get Gooball.

Which is a shame. I want ALL the characters, even if they don’t have much difference to them.

All of them! Hackers, I call upon you!

13. Lewie Procter says:

“Ooh, it’s a tough game, this one.”

Man up.

14. 8bit Zebra says:

Houndeyes are cuter.

15. Mooglepies says:

Got it on the 360. Buying it again because it’s bloody brilliant (one of the best games this year as far as I’m concerned). I spent an hour on a single level (the last one before the boss in the light world) and still I could not put that controller down. Brilliant. I’m now finishing up the Hospital in the Dark World.

It’s not an “experience” like playing through something like Mass Effect, but it understands what makes a game “gamey”, it does similar things for platform games that Trackmania does for the racing genre.

16. Lipwig says:

Will anyone oblige my laziness?!?!?!

I only want to see Spelunky, that is all. Who will post screenshots of every character available and end this torment?

17. Delusibeta says:

Do note that the Headcrab is exclusive to the Steam version, and the Gooball is exclusive to the forthcoming non-Steam version. So, you’ll have to buy it at least three times in order to get all the characters (assuming the WiiWare version doesn’t have any exclusive characters in a bid to make the game fit into 40Mb).

• pkt-zer0 says:

The Wii version will also have different characters, for contractual reasons. So yeah, four copies it is.

18. Maykael says:

Still, it pains me to see that The Spelunker, Ninja (from N) and Tim are exclusive to Xbox Live… At least I hope it brought Team Meat more money from Microsoft.

19. Premium User Badge Eric says:

I am looking forward to the PC version joining my X360 version. This game is absolutely worth having twice.

20. MrMud says:

The xbox version of Super meat boy chewed of my balls and I was loving every second of it.

21. Alex says:

I’ll never understand why this thing gets so much popularity, it’s hardly the first, or the best, platformer of this type to be released, by indies or otherwise. I mean, I understand some of it is due to the collaborations with already popular indie games for the extra characters, and some of it because it’s not really indie anymore thanks to Microsoft (which is probably the reason for all the preemptive mainstream media coverage outside the likes of RPS, when said mainstream media usually only cover indies after they become popular on their own first), but it seems to be becoming bigger than any of these would suggest. Oh well, by next year real indies will have a chance agan, stupid team meat interviews will also have stopped by then I imagine (ololz we haet sequels, any sequels ever maed suq, and we won’t ever maek sequels, even though Super Meat Boy is the sequel to Meat Boy, olol).

• Dominic White says:

Your bizarre personal vendetta against Team Meat continues unabated, I see. You are aware that pretty much the entire indie development community at large has chipped in to support the game in one way or another. About a dozen indie devs have provided tileset art, characters and marketing support (as well as level design in some cases, or so I hear), as well as independent film crews and more.

But hey, clearly they’re not REAL indies, despite being two guys who have been producing flash games on their own timetable up til’ now.

You honestly, seriously think *Microsoft* are the sole reason people are talking about SMB? Pretty much every indie games blog in existance has been covering the game in great detail ever since it was announced a couple of years ago.

• Alex says:

Your fanboyism continues unabated, I see. I’ll leave it at that, I’m sure you’ll make it obvious by yourself without any of my help, perhaps next time you’ll rage at someone rationally stating an opinion formed by facts.

• Dominic White says:

Buddy, you’re making no sense.

• Taillefer says:

Edmund McMillen isn’t indie enough for you?

• Dominic White says:

Never underestimate the power of paranoid delusions:

To quote: “People are not stupid, they’re capable of thinking on their own, they just need to free themselves from constant brainwashing, people just need to unplug, free their mind from the prison some very bad people (TIGsource and alike, illuminati, satanists, reptilians, luciferians, etc.) imposed onto them. And TIGsource and alike have cunningly infiltrated themselves into indie community imposing their evil ways. They’re not indies, they are liars, infiltrators, intruders, invaders. We should free ourselves from them, for once and for all!”

• pkt-zer0 says:

Is that site a parody of something? Kind of reminds me of Time Cube.

• Dominic White says:

There’s some debate, but the consensus seems to be that it’s genuine, pure-strain internet crazy. I’ve honestly seen just as bad elsewhere.

• terry says:

The site prominently displays McAfee advertising. It’s definitely completely bonkers.

• kwyjibo says:

Indie threads always have some dickwad telling everyone what is and isn’t indie enough. So it’s no indie because it’s on XBLA now is it?

That’s not a definition of indie, that’s a definition of success. What’s your problem with indies doing well?

Not indie enough because it’s a sequel? So indies aren’t allowed to explore their ideas now? It’s not a rational opinion formed by facts. It’s a crap rant formed by irrational idiocy.

• Premium User Badge RobF says:

I’m not entirely sure you could possibly get =more= indie than Edmund, y’know?

• _frog says:

The only way you could be more indie than Edmund is if you were increpare.

22. Spliter says:

that’s it, I’m buying the game, Headcrab+Goo in one game? Is there anything better???
    Maybe if they put chell or a mini glados or a portal 2 bot in there with the ability to make portals.
    Then again the game would explode everyones computer with awesomeness

• mcwizardry says:

At the moment it sounds like it’s either the Headcrab for Steam OR the Goo Ball for everything else PC/MAC.

23. Urthman says:

So can you play the whole game as an alternate character? Cause playing as a hunk of meat grosses me out too much to try this.

• Dominic White says:

Not the whole game, but the vast majority of it. The only levels requiring Meat Boy are the bonus stages, the boss levels and the final 6 stages.

It’s pretty hard to be grossed out by the character, though – he’s a tiny, TINY little red cube on-screen.

• Urthman says:

That’s good news. And, yeah, my squeamishness is nobody’s fault but mine. Don’t mean to criticize the game.

• iainl says:

He may be a tiny red cube, but whichever character you play you’ll end up leaving blood all over the level once you’ve failed a few times…

24. Inglourious Badger says:

Colour me excited

25. KillahMate says:

Is the announcement of Josef from Machinarium as another exclusive not enough for a post? You could have added that to this one then, maybe…

• pkt-zer0 says:

There’s a “Quinns has no iron” related joke in there somewhere, I’m sure.

26. MD says:

I’m freaking sick of their marketing, but I still think the game itself could be right up my alley. I’m not sure whether they’re making me more likely to buy it by keeping it in my consciousness, or less by annoying me. If they’d shut up about a year ago and then let me know when they finally released the game, I’m pretty sure I’d have been at least as likely to buy it as I am now.

• MrBRAD! says:

I don’t think they’ve marketed it badly at all! All the hype is from excited journalists, not them spewing crap at you. If you want something to whinge about, direct your energies towards Miner Wars and the hideous spamfest that it calls marketing.

27. GoodPatton says:

Dammit, can’t you stop posting about SMB until it’s released for PC, dying here…