Consider Create’s Contraptions, Play Demo

EA’s slick-looking physics contraptions puzzler is out on the 19th for PC download, and the main website can be found here. I’ve had a bit of a fiddle with Create this morning and I can report that it’s extremely slick and accessible. Fortunately for us there’s a 500mb demo, too, so you can corroborate my wild claims. The full game has a mighty level editor, to allow you to make your own puzzles in a decent amount of depth, as well as decorate and tweak the core game levels as you see fit. Not exactly something I am likely to sink my life into, but I like how the levels are tidy but undecorated, so that players can lay down detail as they work on the puzzles.

I’ve posted the launch trailer below. For £20 it’s not looking like a bad little game.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Mike says:

Sounds almost LittleBigPlanet-esque?

EDIT – Ah, clearly more Incredible Machine-inspired. Ok.

• MadTinkerer says:

With a bit of Crayon Physics and the construction tools from Worms thrown in, too. And that one flash game I forget the name of but has definitely been linked on RPS before. And possibly some bits of Garry’s Mod.

• noobnob says:

You mean this game?

• TeeJay says:

Incredibots: link to

The bad news: They are shutting down the servers & forums this Friday Nov. 19th (10am Pacific Time).

The good news: When the servers are shut down they are releasing an open source versions of both IncrediBots 1 and IncrediBots 2 and there are new forums: link to

2. AndrewC says:

It looks clanky. Like, it’s quite a slow, ambient, relaxing, thinky sort of a game which you sort of sink into like a bath, but this all feels jerky and clanky, like metal on metal, clanging away. How’s that for a horribly specific criticism?

Anyways, I am getting slightly mixed messages from it regarding big corporations making indie-style games. Is slickening and smoothing out the formula of an indie title actually missing some of the point of the formula?

Or is it just that that it is a big corporation that has made it that puts me off? Ie.that part of the appeal of indie for me is exactly because it was made by a small group of people, and not much to do with the game itself at all. If so, how harsh is that for EA, that they are trying their best to be ‘good’, and not just make footy and shooty games, but the very people they are trying to appeal to will ignore it just for being EA. Like a gentle giant who can’t pick flowers due to his huge stubby fingers.

Weep for the giant! Oh weep for him!

• Xercies says:

I welcome that a big developer is taking the chance on a few indies, i think that might be the future of gaming really. Imagine it, you have the best of both worlds if it works, quite a bit of money from the publisher a bit of freedom from the developer. It worked for films and they made some of the best films in that era.

3. Navagon says:

It looks like Crayon Physics 3D.

4. Colthor says:

/Indepth, meaningful comment
    Sorry, late night.

5. sml says:

Yeah, very Incredible Machine-like. That reminds me – I need to play them again :)

6. TheLordHimself says:

Reminds me of link to

7. Atic Atac says:

Awesome. There need to be more games like this. My younger son has no interest in regular gaming but he can lose hours in the Spore Creature Creator and Crayon Physics Deluxe. This will be great for him and all the other kids like him.

8. TheLordHimself says:

Armadillo Run anyone?

9. Pani says:

And don’t forget fantastic contraption:

The Sombrero Kid says:

i loled, it was funny.

11. Stranglove says:

Looks a lot like Armadillo run.

• Srekel says:

Stranglove, indeed. A fantastic game :) Just take a look at this fabulous video (it starts out slow).

link to

I didn’t see any cloth physics in Create, which seems like a shame if they missed out on that.

Vinraith says:

The trailer makes the building materials look strikingly limited (a beam, another type of beam, a pivot, etc), especially in comparison to the likes of the Incredible Machine games.

13. The Army of None says:

I actually really liked this game. Will be buying!

14. Jonathan says:

Ha, sweet! I now know what I’m getting my mother for christmas — we have a tendency to send physics-type games (World of Goo, Crayon Physics, Bob Came In Pieces) to each other. I was having trouble thinking what to get to keep up that tradition this year. I was even just thinking of giving up and sending her something like PvZ instead.

Anyone know the system requirements? The game has one of those annyingly ungoogleable names.

15. SquareWheel says:

It looks more like Phun than anything else.

16. strange headache says:

The controls and the menus in this game are the worst possible ever. It’s like they came straight from hell, just to rape your children and the children of your children. Do not buy this, play “fantastic contraption” instead.