Mod News: General Election

By Lewis Denby on November 17th, 2010 at 2:31 pm.

It’s that time of year again, folks: the time when ModDB’s annual awards roll around and everyone seems more eager to spam that website with pleas for votes rather than a great deal of anything interesting happening. Still, cutting through the mix – both there and elsewhere on the ‘net – are a few gems. So here we go: the last seven days in interesting mod-related gubbins.

NEWS
Clear Sky Reloaded, the Stalker: Clear Sky mod which aims to offer “the definitive experience” of Stalker, as they all do, has a couple of new videos. One shows off the improved AI, while the other demonstrates a new blowout. There’s some new screenshots beyond that link, as well.

Meanwhile, I’ve just spotted this – Metal Gear Solid: Source. Presumably a straight remake of Metal Gear Solid, it’s looking surprisingly authentic – although it always worries me to see comments like “I was too lazy” written by the developer when explaining why a screenshot is inaccurate. Hmm.

Still on Half-Life 2, here are a few shots of what appears to be a very competently crafted mod called Alone We Travel. It’s set in the HL2 universe, so nothing particularly imaginative is on display yet, but the mapping appears to be basically Valve-quality. No ETA yet, but I’ll be following this one with my beady little eyes.

Here’s some updates from crazy-ambitious San Andreas mod UnitedRussianMod – Criminal Russia. The idea is this: five major modding teams, each of whom made separate Russian cities for San Andreas, banded together to produce a big old Russian collection of new places to explore. Versions have been available to download since last year, but there’s still new locations on the way, like the downtown area of Nizhegorodsk. Have a look beyond the above link to catch up on their progress.

And finally, the next version of acclaimed Crysis mod MechWarrior: Living Legends is on the way soon, now with full Crysis Wars support. To get us in the stompy mood, the developers have pieced together a big update showing development progress from the past three months. Well worth a look.

Mechin' it up as they go along

RELEASES
Many apologies to Dominic White, who expressed disappointment in last week’s comments thread about the lack of a Stronghold: On The Edge of Chaos mention. I tend to piece these roundups together across the week, then finish stuff off on the morning before they’re posted, which means that it’s easy to miss last-minute stuff. This huge Doom total conversion, in development forever, was finally released last week, and is totally worth a look. Brand new multiplayer modes, as well as single-player stuff with new enemies, scripted sequences, and unique voice acting. About as big as mod projects come.

UPDATES
Half-Life 2 mod 1187, which I’ve still not got around to playing, has had a few patches released in the last month. Here’s a full installer for the mod which includes them all.

And here’s another update for One 4 Nine, the Left 4 Dead mod. I like the fact that, even though it’s a campaign mod, the team is so eager to tweak and refine things post-release. So many would be content to release as-is, then never return to it.

AND THE REST
It’s time for ModDB’s Mod of the Year awards again, and this time things are a little different. As with the IndieDB awards, it’s split between Players’ Choice and Panel’s Choice. I was on the panel for both, my votes have been cast, but I have no idea who’s won anything.

Anyway, you can get voting by heading to ModDB, going to the page of your favourite mod, and clicking the big vote button. An interesting point’s been raised in this comments trhead, though, which is that the way Mod of the Year is run means mods released in November and December effectively can’t win anything, as part of the criteria is that the mod must have been released in the same year as the awards. One for them to look into in the future, perhaps.

But yes. ‘Til next time, lovelies.

__________________

« | »

1. Dominic White says:

To anyone hosting a multiplayer server for Stronghold, you really should slap this little mod/tweak onto it.

It makes it much more LAN/online-friendly. Ammo spawns are multiplied by number of players, as are monster spawns and boss toughnesses, and you can enter a server-side code to unlock more levels, along with an increased starting bank account to buy equipment with.

Edit: And here’s some gameplay footage, from very early in the campaign.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_ivs2bjwqc – Level 2 of about 40, and the whole thing escalates pretty steadily. You can really see what kinda genre it is, too – it’s not classic Doom. It’s Horde spliced with Tower Defense.

2. MuscleHorse says:

Could anyone tell me whether its possible to mod the Steam edition of GTA: SA yet or am I going to have to dig out my coffee coaster version?

• aldo_14 says:

I don’t think so, natch :(

• gerafin says:

Why wouldn’t it be? I mod a lot of other steam games, they’re really just the normal install files but with a CD-cracked .exe

• Delusibeta says:

The problem is that the vast majority of mods for San Andreas were designed for version 1.0, and Steam provides version 2.0. There is a patch reverser, but it doesn’t work with the Steam version. So, the only known way to mod the Steam version is to copy a 1.0 .exe file over to the Steam version of the game.

• MuscleHorse says:

Unaco, I think you’ll find that thread is for GTA IV, not SA.

Steam still has the mysterious version ’3.0′ and doesn’t work with the vast majority of mods :/

3. gerafin says:

Anyone looking for a good L4D2 campaign HAS to play Diescraper! The name makes it sound like a crappy one-level campaign that relies on a gimmick, but this is a fully fleshed out campaign that is by far the best mapping I’ve seen in L4D mods. It’s full of nice little touches, like when we closed ourselves in a room to survive an event, and suddenly the wall to our right is destroyed and tons of zombies flood the room, causing panic. It’s a varied level that has excellent pacing, try it!

4. Unaco says:

Obligatory Black Mesa comment. 20 minutes and no-one has made it yet?

Alone We Travel looks interesting. If you snoop around the ModDb page for it, there is a teaser trailer up. Looks like the mapping is of a high quality. Although, I am a little disappointed in the style they are going for, if I’m reading it right. The name and the atmosphere and the background make it sound like the perfect setting for survival style mod… making your way across the city, trying to avoid the combine, just trying to survive, etc. But, from the blurb, “Your mission is to wipe out the combine population and restore freedom and peace in City 21.” I dunno… I’d rather see it less Rambo, and more The Road.

• Dominic White says:

“Horrible website for Stronghold… I couldn’t bring myself to navigate more than 2 pages in.”

Okay, I really don’t get this. The site is only 1 page deep on everything but screenshots. It’s literally two clicks total to download it. Most Doom mods don’t even have a site – they just get thrown up on a public FTP server.

• Unaco says:

Screenshots is what I went to look at… it drove me away pretty quickly. But, looking at the rest of it, my opinion isn’t being changed… From the ‘no instructions on closing the pop-ups that come up’, to the awkward screenshots menu, to the fact that pop-up and open seem to do the opposite of what you’d expect. I’m sorry if 1st impressions are important to me, and badly designed websites are a pet peeve… that’s just the way it is I guess.

• DrGonzo says:

It’s a cool looking website, but it tells you nothing about the game, what it is or how to install it. I tried to install it earlier but I seem to have missing textures and models about the place. Also, the framerate drops to a crawl regularly throughout the mod which makes it unplayable for me. The bits that worked seemed rather cool though.

• Dominic White says:

If you’re missing textures and models and dropping frames badly, you’re running an old version of the GZDoom engine. Get the latest build – http://svn.drdteam.org/gzdoom/

The site doesn’t explain much because there’s almost no new blood coming into the Doom scene. It just kinda assumes that you know how the basics work – the game has been out 17 years, after all.

• datoo says:

Well I was interested in the mod and turned away by the terrible website with no information.

• Dominic White says:

And here I thought it was console gamers who were supposed to be the shallow, reactionary ones with short attention spans.

5. Somnimental says:

Is there a definitive must have (to play it at its best) Mod for Stalker: SoC?

• Muzman says:

Of Shadow of Chernobyl? Not really. In the fashion I usually divide them up I’d say Complete is a good solid ‘vanilla style’ playthrough with the bonus of looking really nice. Of the more hardcore, kitchen sink mods I still favour AMK for the brutal survival experience (Oblivion Lost over did it. The game became too cluttered and gimmicky. But I haven’t played it recently, so they might have tightened things up).
      I hear Lurk is pretty good though and somewhere inbetween those play styles.

6. Jock says:

You guys forgot to mention the Hexen: Edge of Chaos demo that was released last week.

7. Jock says:

Ah missed it thanks.

8. Dominic White says:

I’m really looking forward to that new version of Mechwarrior: Living Legends. It’s honestly a better mech game than anything in the official series so far, even if it is multiplayer-only. It’s spectacular stuff to see in action, too:

• MacD says:

You know, I agree MechWarrior: LL is impressive. It even looks like a great fun game to play. But there’s one important fault:

they got the scale wrong :(

When I’m in a ‘mech, I should tower over the battlefield. I’d be looking down on trees …but the first couple of minutes of the first youtube Dominic posted had us looking at trees head-on, as if we were just grunts on the ground. Which is a bit of a shame.