A Nuclear Error: R.U.S.E. DLC Next Month

By Quintin Smith on November 18th, 2010 at 9:57 am.

John's been cooking again, I see.

This December, R.U.S.E. will be inviting us all to come and strum on nukuleles. VG247 has pointed me towards this blog post on the official R.U.S.E. site talking about the upcoming and completely free Manhattan Project Pack, which will add three new multiplayer maps for 2v2 and 3v3 games and two new multiplayer modes, Total War and Nuclear War. Details after the jump.

- In “Total War”, the battle starts in 1939 and History advances every ten minutes, unlocking new units and technologies.

This sounds fantastic to my R.U.S.E. aficionado ears. The problem I had with 1945 matches was the mass of options available to you right from the start, and 1939 matches started well but their endgame was less interesting. 1942 was a neat balance, but gradually escalating technology levels should be an even more flawless fix.

- “Nuclear war” will enable you to produce nuclear Long Tom cannons, with mutual nuclear threat involved. The destructive scope of R.U.S.E. just flew off the charts.

Oh, baby!

If you missed it, here’s the might RPS R.U.S.E. verdict. Spoiler! We like it. And remember, while this might be a Ubisoft game they dropped their DRM for it.

And because I hate it and love it and can’t resist posting it, here’s that first trailer for R.U.S.E.. Lookit these guys Rusing one another.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. kulik says:

A tip: If you’re making a trailer for WW2 game, don’t choose two axe deodorant models playing it in a dentist waiting room.

• Quintin Smith says:

It’s amazing, isn’t it? I think they were trying to capitalise on the poker boom. Not entirely sure how though.

• Rich says:

Better would be two generals in what looks like a real war room. It’s a bit cliché, but since that’s basically what you get when you zoom out anyway, it makes sense here.

Edit: Also, I wouldn’t follow those two pansies into water. Patten or Monty against Rommel, they ain’t.

• Sunjammer says:

Pretty hilarious to me for a bunch of nerds to decry the relative realism of “pretty boys” playing the game, before asking for GENERALS IN A BUNKER. Guess we need extremes on either end to feel happy about our mediocrity eh?

What’s up with our reality view? This ad is kitchy but it sits in a comfortable middle ground where nobody but us are offended, and to be honest I would be much more offended by said generals in said bunkers. Because that is fucking retarded. The war metaphor holds no water, because it’s a computer game played by 20-something to middle aged men in their houses over a lager while the missus is watching X-Factor in the other room. I’d love to find out how many would follow US into a puddle.. If i could high-five RUSE over something it would be its willingness to distance itself from its source material. It might as well be space ninjas battling lego men for all i care, the WW2 setting is just a reason to play a game. Whether I play it at the RUSE dental care center or not shouldn’t matter. GENERALS IN A WAR ROOM.

Sometimes the self importance of gamers drives me up the walls. Like the State of the game StarCraft podcast where a bunch of loud kids call eachother faggots, tell stories about how they “raped” someone, before whining about how nobody takes their “sport” seriously. It’s just bonkers.

Video games, for fucks sake. This ad is at least memorable. High five ad! You made your product stand out!

• kulik says:

…stand out in a bad way. Psychology aside Mr. Freud, it doesn’t make me want to play the game. If they had to go for this concept i would imagine two very old WW2 veterans playing this in park one cloudy afternoon. …at least their face expressions could mean old memories instead of panic that they miss their depilation and peeling session.

• Rich says:

What an odd thing to explode about. Is it possible to be a fanboy of an advert?
      Decry? No, more like jokingly criticise.
      Generals in a bunker? Well, yeah. You’re playing with toy soldiers aren’t you?

“Pretty hilarious to me for a bunch of nerds to…”
      Nothing says “here’s a valid comment for consideration” like starting your speech with an insult.
      We all read and comment on a a PC gaming blog, so yes, we’re nerds. How kind of you to remind us.

2. Kid A says:

I have no fear.
    And no interest in this. Could never get into it, but it certainly looked snazzy enough. Apart from those cutscenes. I pity the scenery, t’was chewed to oblivion.

3. Baggypants says:

Error? I prefer Spike Milligans take in “The Bed Sitting Room”. Set in Britain after a “Nuclear Misunderstanding”

4. Peloris The Grunty says:

Does it require constant internet connection to play?

• Rich says:

Nope. As Ubi are only the publishers for this one, rather than having any real ownership, they’ve managed to avoid that particular DRM monstrosity.

• rocketman71 says:

@Peloris: nope for single player, you can use Steam Offline mode, although that still has problems.

Yes for multiplayer. It’s online or nothing.

5. HotSake says:

Please apologize for “nukulele” immediately. That is all.

6. rocketman71 says:

Sounds nice. As soon as they add LAN, I’m buying.

(I’ll wait comfortably in my sofa, thank you)

7. Calabi says:

Can you actually play it like that though, because that would be awesome. I cannot control a hundred little disincarnate entities with a little tiny mouse pointer. Why hasnt anyone come up with a better way of playing these games? Something like how you would control an army in the real world, like simple voice or commands or something new(gestured nonsense, but you dont need that, just intelligent units or the illusion of intelligence would suffice).

• Archonsod says:

They did. It was called Take Command.

• Poindexter says:

Ruse was actually designed to be playable on the Microsoft Surface table. See here.

• theleif says:

I think it has support for touch screens, no idea if they finally implemented it though… But it’s supposedly really nice to play on the PS3 with the move controller.

8. Pani says:

“Can’t read my, can’t read my, no he can’t read-a my poker face… nah nah nah”.

9. Durns says:

So you’re saying that I should reject that invitation to John’s next dinner party?

10. Kieron Gillen says:

“The problem I had…” was that you kept on losing! To me! Except for that period when you didn’t.

KG

11. The Innocent says:

Mmm… I love this game. The one thing that would turn it into a true classic for me would be a map editor, but apparently that’s not going to happen because even the devs use third-party programs to make maps, so it would be licensing hell to get a working editor for customers. I don’t know about that excuse — if there’s a will, there’s a way. Oh well, I’ll get any dlc for this one and love it.

12. Ateius says:

Wait, wait wait wait. A Ubisoft game without their onerous DRM and with free DLC?

Are they … trying to make amends?

• Torgen says:

I think it is rather a case of the devs being nice people who had the misfortune of being talked into using Ubi as their publisher, unaware of the horrible taint that would ensue. Both companies being French, perhaps it if forgivable that the devs got into the position that they did.

13. BeamSplashX says:

That commercial needs more banter between those two gentlemen.

“I’ve killed your soldiers, how RUSE of me!”
    “You’re a born RUSEr, aren’t you?”
    “Naval attacks are RUSEless!”
    “How about I take you on a cRUSE?”

14. Fellblade says:

It’s distressing how badly RUSE has sold given how very good it is :(