TimeGate Show Section 8′s Swarm Mode

By Jim Rossignol on November 18th, 2010 at 9:46 am.

One of the new game modes in Section 8 sequel Prejudice is one of those “co-op vs waves of bots” type modes, and TimeGate have put out an extensive ten-minute walkthrough video showing how it will work. It looks like a it could be fun, partly because the narrator gets pulled off a hoverbike by a mech and smacked on the floor, but not least because it’s the kind of mode you can play successfully with just a few friends. It’s based on the capture-point mechanism from the original game, only this time you face escalating waves of enemies, rather than fighting an equal human foe.

One of the things I liked best about Section 8 was the big, bold sci-fi architecture across the landscapes of the maps, and it looks like the TimeGate team are reaching even higher this time around, with a sprawling, impressive world playing host to this walkthrough. Admittedly, Prejudice is hard to get too excited about, simply because Section 8 didn’t quite have the staying power I’d hoped for. Nevertheless I’m interested to see how TimeGate have built on the original, and game modes like this a promising start.

__________________

« | »

1. MrEvilGuy says:

That guy was hilariously optimistic about how amazing the game is. Nice!

2. The Pink Ninja says:

I’m actually interested in this game now

Any good, or just a poor man’s Reach?

3. Warduke says:

I bought the original Section 8 on release day and as much fun as I had with it I don’t think I ever saw more than 20 people online at one time playing it. That’s 20 people total worldwide on release day and the weeks afterwards. Servers were mostly empty and it just never took off like I hoped it would. I enjoyed it but playing against bots gets old fast. I can’t believe they got funding for a sequel of a game nobody was playing.

4. Jim Rossignol says:

We had a couple of RPS events playing the original, and it was great, but yeah it was pretty dead the rest of the time and no community we could get into. Shame.

• Warduke says:

Yah the game had a lot to like just couldn’t ever find anybody to play with. I’ll probably end up picking up this one too once it gets cheap but not on release. It would be interesting to hear how they plan on getting more people involved this time around. Folks that complained about the original game’s lack of players in the TimeGate forums got their threads locked pretty quickly and no one from TG ever addressed it. Definitely a head in the sand mentality over there. Like you said Jim it’s a shame. This game coulda been so much more with a solid community behind it.

• Collic says:

I played it during open beta and it was a lot of fun. didn’t ever get around to buying it though, and by the time I would have considered it I heard the games community was pretty dead. Hopefully this one will fare better. It looks like they’ve upped the lethality of the weapons which should really help as far as gameplay goes.

5. Senethro says:

Did they ever tweak that super-irritating way your sensitivity changed between looking about and aiming? Felt like your sensitivity was quartered so it was impossible to get comfortable with both.

6. Mashakosha says:

Hooray for S8! I do enjoy it, but the aforementioned community (or lack thereof) is the main problem.

7. UW says:

one of those “co-op vs waves of bots” type modes

That’s pretty much just called horde mode now, right? I know GoW2 was cruel to us PC Gamers but I think the name works.

It’s a shame that what is fundamentally a good game couldn’t acquire a dedicated following. Even a small one would be enough that people who just decide to check it out will actually be able to play the game as it was intended.

• Phinor says:

Never heard of that word ‘horde mode’ before you brought it up. I did play the original GoW but as the sequel had nothing to do with PC, I skipped everything about it. Anyway, I shall not accept ‘horde mode’. But we do need some easy way to say it. I was thinking co-op defense which is what they called it at some point in CoH Tales of Valor but is that too explanatory? We need something snappier.

I liked Section 8. Hopefully the sequel has players, too.

8. DK says:

I hope that video isn’t indicative of weapon lethality in regular multiplayer, because the fact that Powered Armor actually protected people was one of the best things about Section 8.

• Warduke says:

Yah, I’m hoping those were just weak bots. The power of that sniper rifle definitely concerns me. If it’s that easy to kill guys in mp they will have to nerf it again I’m predicting.

9. Wedge says:

Actually it was called “Invasion” back when it was UT2kx and had awesome add-on packs and RPG mods for it…

10. frags says:

I’d buy Section 8 if it featured the bad voice over of a developer commenting on everything I did. I want that guy instead of Unreal announcer guy or TF2 announcer lady any day.

11. Farkeman says:

i bought section 8 on release date too , i have a blast with the game , but lack of dedicated servers and support (also a bad release date ) stopped the game from growing , section 8 is amazing game but its just dead atm , im so happy they are making a sequel , i hope they will learn from theyr mistakes , coz man , this game looks freakin awesome …

overdrive is more than enough for me to buy the game , i love that feature ^^

• Malibu Stacey says:

It has dedicated servers. Getting one hosted is pretty difficult from what other people have said.

First thing they can learn is not to use GFWL.

• subedii says:

I think what he means is that they couldn’t get Dedicated Servers up and running initially. IIRC that was due to problems with GFWL.

I’m sensing a pattern here…

12. Reapy says:

I sort of lose interest in fps games when they are demoed using a controller rather then a mouse, which pretty much says console. I thought section 8 was on the pc? I am probably wrong though.

Some other stuff about this that really hurts it are lackluster special effects. The bullets are ‘boring’ white lines, fire impacts are pretty bland, and when you make a kill the enemy sorta pops over way too fast.

As much as this is nit picking, this game has pretty much nothing new to over in terms of gameplay, and has sub par special effects/animations etc, it is hard to see why you would grab this over another more well established FPS. Jetpacks, I guess?

13. gerafin says:

Blast. For some reason, every time someone says “four player,” my mind interprets it as “foreplay-er.”

14. Evernight says:

I am going to put this game and it original in my long list of “Games that look good in theory but don’t work in practice”

Ideal conditions = awesome
    other 95% of the time = lame

15. Heynes says:

This actually looks kind of fun. Will have to give it a try when it comes out.

16. Savage says:

So much potential for Section 8 on the PC was lost due to it being tied to GFWL. All the various communities that attempted to support it (including ours) eventually gave up in frustration due to any semblance of support from the developers.

My advice: If you really want to play this game, buy it on console….or 3 months after you get it you’ll be wondering (again) why the only opponents you can find are bots. This sequel will be DOA on the PC.

The last game was crying for the Steam level of support/ease of use….but I guess these guys prefer the $$$ Microsoft throw their way up front to the chance of actually having a successful game. Yet another shabby console port that does not deserve exposure in PC Gamer.

17. Jubaal says:

This looks like it could be fun. It looks abit like Tribes meets Planetside. So much so it convinced me to pick up Section 8 for under £4 inc p&p on Amazon Market Place.

18. The Innocent says:

Sweet. I loved the first game. Logged on recently and played with a few isolated people, and it was still fun. I look forward to more people being online.

19. Personoic says:

Holy mag reload! That’s freaking awesome.

20. The Deleter says:

I like the enthusiasm of the commentator here. It’s always good to see someone genuinely excited about their game and what can be done in it, rather than the bland, “this does this” style of other demos. That said, I’m probably not going to get this for a vareity of reasons, although it does look pretty fun.

Comment on this story