Vindictus Looking Meaty In Launch Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on November 18th, 2010 at 10:09 am.

Free-to-play hack ‘n’ slash MMO Vindictus is looking snazzy with its Source-powered fighting scenarios, and it’s now out of beta and live in North America. The launch trailer (below) shows off some of the beasts you have to fight, as well as some of the melee moves that feature in the game. It looks pretty bold for an MMO, however unMMO that might actually be. Word from Nexon is that Vindictus is coming to Europe “soon”.

Any North Americans (or IP-spoofers) had a go?

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Dominic White says:

You don’t need to be American to play Vindictus. Merely smart and sassy. And proxified. Multiplayer will be laggy, but solo is just like running offline.

Cmon, though – you guys are the big-shot gaming journos. Try getting a European release-date out of Nexon!

edit: Also, see if you can’t find if they EVER plan to release Dungeon Fighter Online outside of the US. http://dungeonfighter.nexon.net/ – It’s another solid multi-biff MMO.

• Jim Rossignol says:

I’ve asked before. I’ve not yet had a reply from Nexon about Vindictus.

As far as Europe is concerned they’re keen to talk about Mabinogi and Maple Story, and not much else.

• Dominic White says:

Gah. Thanks for trying, anyway. Nexon are a very frustrating publisher – they keep any and all information on heavy lockdown. Getting anything out of them is like trying to extract blood from a particularly anaemic stone.

Their entire policy seems to be one of complete non-communication. Notice how the Vindictus site never, at any point mentions that the game is US-only?

2. pakoito says:

“It’s a really neat little game. Feels kinda like a hybrid of Monster Hunter and Streets of Rage, with a dash of Dark Messiah in there.”

SOLD! sold sold sold sold sold. Do wanna.

• Dominic White says:

“SOLD!”

No need! It’s free! Or at least it is if you’re a cheapass like me.

3. Giant, fussy whingebag says:

I read “…shows off some of the beasts…” as “…shows off some of the breasts…” at first. I guess the lady in the lead screenshot there made me think that that was where you were heading.

Anyone actually played this yet?

• Flaringo says:

I thought you were joking about accidentally reading it as “breasts” both times, when I realized I was the one doing it.

4. Davie says:

Played it, love it. It’s possible to solo most dungeons, which is great if you’re more of a single-player guy like me. Combat is absolutely excellent; they take full advantage of the engine and there’s ragdoll physics, improvised weapons, grabs, counters, specials–everything you might expect form a really good third-person slasher, but certainly not an MMO. It’s really easy to get a party together, too, although it’s always laggy when someone else is hosting the dungeon.

My only real complaint is the very poor character customization–you choose actual characters instead of classes, so I can change my swordsman’s hairstyle and eye color, but he’ll always look like an effeminate twelve-year-old. Likewise, if you want to be the spellcaster or the tank you have to be female, and if you want to be the standard melee fighter you have to be male.

Regardless of that little annoyance though, it’s really a very fun game, and since it’s free, everyone should check it out. Hopefully it’ll get a proper release in Europe for you fellows over there.

• MadTinkerer says:

“My only real complaint is the very poor character customization–you choose actual characters instead of classes, so I can change my swordsman’s hairstyle and eye color, but he’ll always look like an effeminate twelve-year-old.”

One of the few hard limitations of the Source Engine, I think. I know for sure that:

1) Source currently doesn’t support dynamically altering character models. (Hats and such are separate entities.)

2) No one’s done it in Source yet.

So the first guys to work it out will have to, at the very least, figure it out from scratch themselves and there’s probably more practical reasons that I’m not even aware of. It’s likely that doing so would also force them to redo the animation and physics systems as well, which would negate the main point of using Source in the first place. But that’s just an educated guess.

• Dominic White says:

Character customization isn’t great, but you get to tweak facial features, hairstyle, basic clothing, etc. And every piece of armor and equipment is reflected on your model.

I reckon they just stuck with clear character archetypes to make it feel more like a classic brawler. You’ve got the fast dual-wielding guy, the tougher weapon-and-shield girl (yes, a female character is slower and heavier than a guy), the hulking grappler guy, the mage girl who uses telekinesis instead of picking up and throwing stuff, etc. You know exactly what your party members can and can’t do just with a glance.

5. Malagate says:

Looks fun, shoulda maybe posted this at a later GMT as I think more Americans are still sleepie-byes or getting ready for work.

Dark Messiah getting name dropped is a big plus for me, especially if it’s not as buggy.

6. Winged Nazgul says:

It’s obvious most of the effort and emphasis is on the combat. This isn’t your father’s MMO. This is more like Assassin’s Creed/Batman Arkham Asylum than the old tab, 1, 2, 4, 3. Everything else is a bit sparse MMO-wise. It’s like the reverse APB. The parts that need to be fun are indeed very, very fun. All the other bits that don’t really matter all that much are bare-bones functional.

• Dominic White says:

It is, essentially, all gameplay. It’s not something you play for four hours at a time, or spend ages organizing raid-groups. It’s a game you just pick up and play. There’s even a few anti-grind mechanisms there that stop you from playing it obsessively.

I’d say the combat is significantly more fleshed out than Arkham Asylum. It’s not quite Devil May Cry, but it’s close – it looks like the range of stuff you can do will increase over time, too. I’ve seen some clips of the Korean version, which is several ‘episodes’ further along, and characters get transformation abilities, aerial combos and other such stuff later on.

7. Droniac says:

At least another year is roughly what Nexon implies when they say “coming soon to Europe”. That was how they handled the European version of Mabinogi anyway. And that’s a shame, because what I’ve seen in gameplay videos thus far looks quite interesting.

8. Mooglepies says:

Looks a bit like Demon’s Souls to me. Being more like Demon’s Souls is something the industry as a whole should do a lot more of.

Excellent.

9. Escalus says:

The cool aspect is that it takes the achievment system and titles of WoW and other games and makes them integral to the gameplay. Completing achievements grants you bonus xp or cash, and unlocking titles gives you very small permanent boosts to your stats (+1 STR, AGIL, etc), so while they are most of the time completely optional, it makes unlocking them more than just cosmetic, while not essential to being successful.

• Seeker says:

This is why I dont like the game. The titles are just freaking HUGE grind to get and gets even harder if your not the right class for it. Even if they are “optional” these things give premenant states which to me gets rid of optional. Almost all the titles as well are solo so it discourages team play. With the limit on boat rides each week u’ll be always running all missions kicking things instead of using a fun playstyle to finish off guys. FYI most titles are 1k times of doing same thing and if its a boss title then u gotta do the entire area 50 times with always the risk of someone fuking it up at the end.

10. malkav11 says:

I finally took a look at Vindictus this weekend, as a friend of mine and I had just recently finished Borderlands (we could, of course, do another playthrough, but we’d rather not just now) and were looking for something to multiplay together, at least while WoW is still in a holding queue before the expansion. To my utter surprise, it’s pretty darn awesome. Since it uses the Source engine (combined with capable art direction), it’s gorgeous and heavy on the object physics – lots of environmental destructibility, and the dungeons have traps (falling spiked logs, rolled chunks of pillar, deadly machines roaming back and forth across rooms or hallways) and interactions like dropping bridges by breaking the ropes holding them up or kicking pillars down into doors to smash them open. Not to mention the kind of stuff you can do to enemies. The missions do get somewhat repetitive even early on – I’ve been doing a great deal of gnoll-slaying – and there’s incentive to repeat them, between bonus objectives and one-per-run “oaths” that add additional victory requirements or complications for a heaping helping of extra experience, as well as increasing your battle point score for the mission (it’s not uncommon for battles to require at least X number of battle points on a previous mission before you can access them, something which may not be possible on a single run). The story’s fairly threadbare at this point and the game is a bit talky about it in static dialogue boxes with, at least, attractive 2d character portraits, but doing the quests gets you plentiful gold, experience, and other items, as well as introducing you to game mechanics that are not necessarily obvious, and occasionally giving you a new skill. It’s not always helpful about explaining mechanics – it took me several missions to figure out why my mage was never taking damage despite being hit on a regular basis (the mage has few HP but a “mana shield” that must be taken down before she takes HP damage, and which seems to simply shrug off smaller hits, while taking up to five stronger attacks to go down…and it regenerates over time), for example. Multiplayer is laggy for people other than the party leader, but great fun. The game is easy for the first several battles, even on the Hard difficulty setting, but towards the end of the first battle tier things get much tougher – the Gnoll Chieftain, for example, is one hell of a fight – the first time Hard mode really meant it.

In summary – play this game. It is great fun, substantially more polished and better translated than most F2P Asian MMOs I’ve tried, does not appear to particularly require financial investment to get anywhere (you can rent bikinis for your female characters, though!), and while it does have a somewhat grindy element to it, especially if you’re trying to craft your own gear instead of buying it from other people, that is, I find, substantially mitigated by the exuberance of the combat.

11. FuzzyKitty says:

I’ve played this for a bit and adore it just for the ability to throw things into other things. This is the (only) reason I enjoyed Deus Ex: Invisible War over the original – because comically beating ragdolls to death with a basketball or water cooler is more entertaining than an engaging storyline.

Sure, I have a weapon and it might have stats. I’m level 12 and I have no idea what that even means. This lack of understanding doesn’t stop me from picking up rocks and smashing them over enemies, then picking up the enemies and smashing them into other ones. I level up sometimes, but it doesn’t really change anything.

The game lets me train skills over time, but none of the ones I have available say anything like “throw things like Randy Johnson” so I usually just pick randomly and hope for the best.

• Dominic White says:

Throwing doesn’t do a lot of damage, but braining an enemy with, say, a boulder, does a lot of stamina damage. Get a boss down to 0 stamina, and they’ll just stand there, dazed and helpless for a while.

As such, you should never, ever pass up the chance to brain a boss with a bloody great treetrunk or a chunk of fallen pillar.

• Davie says:

Actually, I’ve noticed whacking bosses with the really big objects is often far more damaging than just using your weapons, in terms of HP as well as stamina. The downside is, of course, incredibly slow attacks, plus the objects break after a few hits. It’s great in a group though–get a couple guys to distract the boss with regular attacks and have another one sneak up behind him and beat the everloving crap out of him with a signpost or a cauldron.

12. malkav11 says:

Oh – if you use the standard install method, immediately thereafter you MUST go exterminate Pando Media Booster from your system. It’s the P2P downloader for the game…but it will also continue to run in the background, without any sort of message or system tray icon, and cheerfully hog all of your upstream bandwidth to seed more copies of the client outwards without so much as a by your leave. Terrible, especially considering the game’s multiplayer is also peer to peer.

• Dominic White says:

Alternatively, once it’s installed, just open up your Installed Programs page and remove Pando Media Booster. It”s safely and easily removed.

• Pony Canyon says:

Isn’t that what malkav just said?

• malkav11 says:

Yeah, it’s not like it’s a virus or spyware or anything. It’s a perfectly legitimate program that uninstalls easily and is used to facilitate downloads on quite a few free to play games including Turbine’s DDO and LOTRO. It’s just also invasive and horrible and never bothers to do things like ask permission or give any obvious sign that it’s running or hogging your bandwidth (I only noticed because I run a bandwidth meter at all times due to my 200 GB monthly cap), and it should be replaced by a more user-friendly peer-to-peer option, that’s all.

• Kektain says:

Thanks for mentioning that. How private it is about consuming all that bandwidth borders on shady. I’ve just renamed the main executable instead of uninstalling it on the off chance I need it for something in the future.

Of course we probably happily agreed to it in the voluminous EULA.

13. Flaringo says:

I think the fabulous selection of underwear is what truly makes this game so brilliant

14. Bhazor says:

Some how it reminds me of Ninja Gaiden (especially the polar bear boss http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p85zuDcV70). Which is nice because Ninja Gaiden is pretty great.

15. Marcin says:

Tried it, great fun if you want to play solo and only up to level 9 or so. After that the enemy bosses have approximately four whorejillion HP and take off half of your health at a swipe, so you’ll need a group. Unfortunately, grouping is P2P (peer to peer), meaning you’re going to be warping all over the place and failing to connect any attacks.

Good for several hours until you get there, though!

• Arglebargle says:

Yeah, I found it fun but it got cloying pretty fast. Genre’s not my particular cup of tea either, so that may account for it. Cartoon sort of story. The difference between the first Boss fight and the previous missions was pronounced. Deleted my copy before the Beta ended.

Too bad, because it was sorta fun thrashing Gnolls. A popcorn game, not a full meal.

16. J-Spoon says:

Game is great fun, played it during beta, haven’t had a chance to play the full deal with all the classes and such. I’m told they didn’t wipe for release, so I guess my guy is still there?

Anyway, very good combat, even though dungeons are repetitive, it got boring very slowly. Felt it could use a little more variation with regards to the standard combos (I only had three or so available at my level) but then again I didn’t level past 20 (yet).

For the hardcore MMO players, know that the story is sparse and the dungeons are all instanced. Being a lone wolf kind of guy, wasn’t much of a problem, but if you’re big into seeing people killing mobs as you run by to… find other mobs, then this won’t scratch that particular itch.

Multiplayer is laggy as all hell. I had the misfortune of partying with some Chinese people and that was pretty much like playing on dialup (shudder). Kind of a problem when every dungeon has a boss.

Overall: Recommended.

17. irongamer says:

A friend and I have been playing for a while now. It is really fun. It is not an open world, but the combat makes up for it in my book.

I have tried to play some standard mmo games after playing Vindictus. The combat in the standard mmo games is so bland after Vindictus. It makes the other mmo combat mechanics feel like shoots and ladders.

When someone matches a big open world with combat like Vindictus I will be a very happy gamer.

If you have a friend to co-op content with it is even better. I’d recommend giving it a shot, it is free after all.

18. Railick says:

I’ve been playing this for a few days now and I must say I find it rather amazing. It runs pretty well on my laptop with the settings lowered and is a lot of fun to play. It’s a nice change up from the standard (I click you until you die) type of combat or even the (I click hot keys until my skills kill you) type of combat.

19. Al3xand3r says:

I was looking forward to a Monster Hunter Tri equivalent for my PC when I got the beta but, sadly, the action is pretty shallow and mindless combared to that game, and closer to something like Phantasy Star Online. It’s pretty limited so far as well. I suppose it will scratch the hack and slash itch for some but damn, what a let down. Maybe by the time we get it in Europe (I had to use proxifier to play the beta) it will have evolved somewhat at least. I’m not gonna hold my breath though.

20. Maj.Havok says:

Love the game so far, it is not for the hardcore MMO player, as you could easly hit lvl cap, it’s 38 ATM in a couple days of continuos play(as some have). But for a casual action mmo player like myself it does a lot right to get me to come back every day. All dungeons can be done alone but as they get tougher you will need help. Combat is fun as almost everything can be used as a weapon even the dead bodies of fallen enemies. Nexon’s plan is to have the game catch up (or at least be close) to the Korean version within the year, so that means updates at least every other month and we are getting one Dec.1. It’s free to play so there is nothing to lose if you don’t like it. The European version is rumored to be coming at the end of 2010, but more than likely first quarter of 2011.

21. Warskull says:

I was unimpressed when I played it. It seems like a good idea, but the combat is really clunky. It needs to be smooth and crisp like DMC. In this game it feels like you are locked into attack animations forever after you swing a weapon. Even in single player runs the combat feels a bit poor. Plus it is a Nexon game so you know after a bit the grind goes through the roof and they try and force you to start doing micropayments.

• Al3xand3r says:

Eh, not being button mashy enough like DMC is certainly not one of its many obvious flaws. Monster Hunter thrives on mechanics that “lock you into animations” meaning everything you do has a strategy behind it and a consequence ahead, and is all the better for it. The mechanics here just aren’t very good. Perhaps the faster sword & shield clash would appeal to you more, unless you found that slow as well, to which I can only say, eh, okay then.

22. Meatloaf says:

It’s quite good, if a bit flawed. There’s a wierd slump in enjoyment from when the effect of “holy crap I can chokeslam a gnoll into a wall in an MMO.” wears off and when the game gets a bit more complex. But still, it’s a good time.

One of my favorite things is the presence of giant dice on the party-gathering boat scene. You can just pick up a huge six-sided die and chuck it at something. It’s lovely. In theory, you could play Shadowrun there.

Arathain says:

I’ve played it for an evening and rather enjoyed it. I shall likely go back to it, although I don’t know if it’s going to stick heavily enough for multi-week play. We shall see if the combat develops a bit more as I level, as it’s a touch simple in the early missions.

The decision to use Source is a brilliant one. Having all sorts of stuff to smash and throw about adds a lot to the fighting. I am inclined to think MMO is a big misnomer though- like a few others of these Korean free-to-plays I’ve looked at it’s basically all small group instances with a communal hub. Monsters drop random crap that vendors can turn into real items, and that’s about as MMO as it gets.

I quite like that finishing off the occasional downed monster for extra loot is accomplished by giving them a solid kick in the ribs, rather than any fancy takedown animations. Oddly charming.

• Dominic White says:

“We shall see if the combat develops a bit more as I level, as it’s a touch simple in the early missions.”

It definitely broadens after the first ‘zone’. You don’t even encounter any real bosses until the Gnoll Chieftain around the 10th or 11th mission, who has the ability (at least on hard mode) to one-shot an unwary player. Once you’re out of those ruins and onto the second region, things start requiring more skill and attention.

24. Kevbo says:

Its worth a try since its free and is certainly a great step in the right direction for action combat in an mmo. However there is something that I can’t put my finger on that keeps this from being in my play list. It may be that they cling to an archaic quest/town system and that joining others on ‘boats’ isn’t always the easiest. However I haven’t played since the beta so I should try it again. Definitely worth a shot for anyone who likes mmos and action games.

25. Danarchist says:

Ok just got done playing for the last…..5 hours, it’s 1 am. It took me longer to chose which emo hairstyle my guy was gonna have than it did to download the whole game and install. I thought when I logged in and suddenly found myself sword to mandible with a giant furry white spider was a nice introduction, and the cut scenes kept making me think of final fantasy 7. I played one other mmo with combat like this a long while ago, bloody something. Anyways the fast paced combat never really got boring. I intended to login, make a character, then spend the night reading about the game, instead ive been chopping Gnolls and crazy ass goblins to bits and giggling like a 12 year old with a playboy.
    God dammit.

26. ChampionHyena says:

If I don’t comment on this, I will be a sinner in the eyes of PC gaming.

Vindictus is some of the most addictive loot-hoarding armor-crafting Gnoll-suplexing ridiculous violent fun I’ve had for free. The whole F2P architecture has you mostly paying for cosmetic/storage stuff and repeated high-level raids such that the average player won’t notice it. Everything looks gorgeous (which is shallow of me, I’m aware) and combat is immediately satisfying, two things which I’m not used to getting in an MMO (or multiplayer action RPG or whatever the hell we’re calling that Diablo-style instanced party play nowadays).

Go play it. Tell your friends to play it. Play it with your friends. And, uh, learn to deal with a little lag. Nexon’s netcode’s never been the most stable.