An Operation Flashpoint: Red River Trailer

By Quintin Smith on November 19th, 2010 at 11:38 am.

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising is getting an expandalone/sorta sequal at some point “between April and June” next year! There’s a hot new trailer out, and you can watch it below.

At first glance it might seem like a sweaty cache of live-action bravado that tells you little to nothing about the game, but I’m an old hand at this viral video stuff. There’s a coded message in this trailer. Just listen to the Johnny Cash song in the background.

There’s a man going around taking names
And he decides who to free and who to blame
Every body won’t be treated quite the same

There will be a closed beta and you can apply but you might not get in.

There will be a golden ladder reaching down
When the man comes around

The game will be available from digital download services.

Hear the trumpets hear the pipers
One hundred million angels singing
Multitudes are marching to a big kettledrum

Codemasters hasn’t released sales figures for Dragon Rising, but I suspect this is their way of saying that it sold 100 million copies. Impressive.

Voices calling and voices crying
Some are born and some are dying
And the whirlwind is in the thorn trees

Red River will feature a whirlwind in some thorn trees (?).

It’s hard for thee to kick against the pricks
In measured hundred weight and penny pound
When the man comes around

It is difficult for us to do anything about Dragon Rising’s Metacritic average of 76.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Rich says:

What happens if you play the same song backwards?

2. Alex Bakke says:

hear the trumpets, hear the pipers Quite clearly refers to the fact that you’re able to kill insurgents with all manners of instruments.

3. Quasar says:

You’re all missing the obvious point: Johnny CASH.

This game will definitely cost money. However, they will accept condoms as a trade-in.

4. Curry says:

Did anybody actually like Dragon Rising?

• mlaskus says:

I did, a lot.
      I find it to be a great deal more enjoyable than ARMA II.
      It works perfectly on all my computers, I can’t play ARMA on anything.

• JonWood says:

I think the biggest problem it had was using the name Operation Flashpoint. I picked up knowing it wasn’t going to be as hardcore as ARMA II, and really enjoyed it.

Yes, there are better games, but I certainly wouldn’t say that I regret the money I spent on it. I’ve not had a look into the mapping community, but the engine has a lot of potential to do interesting things with as well.

• Jason Moyer says:

I thought it was great if you ignored the crappy vehicles, which the campaign almost entirely did. The actual manshooting was good, and it has the best airstrikes I’ve seen in a game (better than Mercs2 even).

• Nick says:

I liked the way they could even be arsed making proper sights/crosshairs for the underslung grenade launchers. Top quality.

• Bobzer says:

If the pathfinding for AI, especially in vehicles, wasn’t screwed, I would have really enjoyed it.

Arma2 is better for making your own missions and playing with friends though.

• nil says:

Excellent midpoint between manshooting galleries (CODMWx) and European war simulations with amusing bugs and terrible UIs (ARMAx).

Which, of course, means it was hated by fans of either one.

5. Baka says:

So.
    Did anyone enjoy Dragon Rising?
    Instant buy and on of the biggest disappointments in the last years for me.
    If there’s an expansion coming, maybe the game actually has a fanbase?

6. Larington says:

I enjoyed it, but I fear I might be the minority here.

• patricij says:

Well, I tend to be in the minority, too. There is no love for MoH 2010 on RPS for example, while I really like it – I consider the SP a good experience with an interesting story if a bit short and with a feeling like when you jump right to season 7 of some tv series (+ the amount of buddy boosts makes me chuckle a bit) and the MP is just about right for me – the moddability of weapons is nice, I feel motivated to push forward, the gunplay feel meaty and I’m actually pretty good at it for the most part.

7. Skurmedel says:

A song about Jesus laid over footage of people loading their guns? Still, better than using Gimme Shelter for Call of Duty.

8. Brumisator says:

Actually, I’m curious as to whether Dragon rising really is that bad.
    But as an Arma2 player, I don’t feel like paying money to play a probably bad game.

• Michael says:

Well, it’s only a fiver on Amazon, or three fifty used. I doubt it would have got so much flak at those prices.

• Bornemannen says:

I loved the original Operation Flashpoint (by Bohemia) but Dragon Rising is just a very pathetic excuse, they actually tried to sell it as an mil-sim but with a bit more action. In reality it is just another action FPS with little or no connection to the original (other than the name). I bought it and played it for a bit but it just wasn’t that interesting after a while, not as an action game and definitely not as a mil-sim.
      I expect the sequel to be more of the same with equal crappy support. I won’t buy it.

While we’re talking Operation Flashpoint, there’s a mod in the making for Arma 2 that will recreate the Operation Flashpoint content for Arma 2. I would gladly pay money for that (instead of this crappy excuse).

9. PhiIl Cameron says:

This is actually a full, standalone game. A sequel, if you will.

10. trooperdx3117 says:

I was very dissapointed with Dragon Rising and the fact that their first trailer for Red River is a live action one does not bode well.

11. Joe Duck says:

I found Dragon Rising quite uninspired and not very interesting. It seemed to me way less “hardcore” than Arma.

12. Po0py says:

It always froze on me and there was no support so screw it. Why should I buy this when they pretty much abandoned the first one?

13. harvb says:

Wondered what that song was; it’s the piece playing in the last episode of Generation Kill, pretty much required watching for playing this or Arma2.

• Alex Bakke says:

Sometiiiiiiimes I feel like I’ve got TO

• Thirithch says:

Yup, make that another vote for Generation Kill. Anyone who’s liked The Wire owes it to themselves to watch it.

But now I want a game with Sgt. Colbert and Cpl. Person, the latter telling me that we’re fighting in Tajikistan because of their lack of good pussy.

14. RiptoR says:

I actually liked Dragon Rising a lot. Only one thing really annoyed me a bit, namely the vehicles and their handling, but the infantry gameplay and squad commands worked really well imho.

15. jackflash says:

I considered buying Dragon Rising for a Fiver on a Steam sale, but people on the Steam forums it was a steaming turd even at that price, so I never bothered.

16. Hydrogene says:

These soldiers look very photorealistic. It’s impressive.

17. Alfius says:

Dragon Rising was a good effort but ultimately to blew chunks because of two works:

Tether Zone.

18. 12kill4 says:

I found most of the original to be a bit tedious… However I feel like I got my money’s worth on the supply depot raid mission that takes place at night… That level was magnificently atmospheric for me and one of the best SP experiences I’ve had, period, however I think even that was somewhat based on my getting lucky with the scripting. The rest of the game felt like a glorified shooting gallery / walking sim, with ammunition restrictions providing the only illusion of tension.

I feel like the game would benifit more from a greater focus on special operations infanty, and the faintly puzzle-like dynamic of analysing and engaging superior forces; and a general move towards encouraging more improptu planning and execution…

19. ZIGS says:

PROTIP: this’ll deviate even more from the original Operation Flashpoint and go further into Call of Duty territory. You heard it here first folks!

20. Mccy_McFlinn says:

I nabbed Dragon Rising for less than £5 in the summer Steam sale and was very happy with it for that price – I’d have been choking bile had I forked out £20-£30, though. I enjoyed it once I’d got past the fact that it’s nothing like the original or the ArmA; much like Splinter Cell: Conviction isn’t anything like that earlier ones but still a good game for what it tries to do.

The Co-Op multiplayer was good fun (provided you could find anyone to play with). I never played deathmatch and never want to. Were it not for the Co-Op, I’d struggle to have even played it, the single-player was a little drab. The fact that you killed pretty much everyone on the level missed the point of the original; coming out with your life and a smattering of confirmed kill only added to the sim aspects of being a soldier and being part of a tight and deadly team. Co-Op redressed that as every player gets involved and is deadly in their own right, rather than just telling you they’ve spotted the body of the guy you just shot.

21. Pokemanz says:

GFWL? Damn you, Codemasters!.

• Unknown says:

Yeah, I’m betting Red River won’t have dedicated servers either. Just an other straight from console port, like most GfWL titles.

22. Stranglove says:

Tajikistan, eh? sounds a lot like a certain setting for a rather recent military simulator…

23. kharnevil says:

Dragon Rising was fine, and fun for about 6 hours (if that), because you’d have finished it by then.

I was impressed by the visuals, the artillery and grenades were amazing. The price? well the setting was fine, but the linear story was the most disappointing part, It took me about 5 missions before I realised I was playing 2 different characters.

Comparing it to operation:flashpoint where you got to drive the tanks and aircraft and be part of the war sweeping around you, I felt that most of the time I wasn’t doing anything constructive, apart from climbing a hill, shooting some guys and watching the cavalry roll in… early,…when I hadn’t even cleared the bloody town.

So much potential with that seemed to be built into the game but were not implemented. I wanted to change my loadout, change my buddies loadouts, drive and fly. Set up the force deployment. (all viewable before a mission, just they didn’t seem to be changeable).

Meh, the explosions were pretty enough to keep me interested for 6 hours. Until I realised you could steal helicopters and APCs from your allies.

I always felt flashpoint was about the war going on around you, and you being able to help out where you could, not being led through checkpoints that were randomly designed.

24. Unaco says:

The album that song is taken from was “American IV: The Man Comes Around”. It was the only original song on the album (the rest of the album was covers, or re-recordings of older Cash tunes)… and it was Cash’s last. So… the only original feature of this game will be the intro movie, and the rest will be ‘covers’/a clone of the new MOH/COD/MW games. And it’ll be Codemasters last game. Ever.

25. Motorheadache says:

Tons of potential that didn’t quite deliver.
    I bought it at release, and still don’t regret the purchase.

There is a community, and some have poured
    alot of time into modding the game.

Cheers.

26. Al3xand3r says:

Dragon Rising had potential, it reminded me of the first Ghost Recon game. This sequel will hopefully go further towards that route, and maybe offer dedicated servers which they said they’d patch in for the former yet later failed to deliver if I’m not mistaken…

27. 8bit Zebra says:

The Salvation War: The Game. I called it first folks.

28. Fred Gherkin says:

Hope no one falls for this bullshit. Codemasters dropped suppot for Dragon Rising like it was cancerous.

29. bill says:

They used that somg awesomely in the last episode of season one of Terminator: SC Chroinicles.

Shame they didn’t really follow up on that awesomeness.

30. Viper50BMG says:

Picked Dragon Rising up for cheap on Steam and haven’t regretted it; it’s a great infantry sim/rifleman shooter. Once I got past the terrible vehicle handling, and got the fact it was pretty much exclusively a footsoldier’s game, I realized that, with it’s ballistics model, emphasis on mid-to-long range combat (CQB/CQC being deadly and rare) it was like a grown-up spiritual successor to Novalogic’s classic Delta Force games (the old ones, before the series took a nosedive). After that, it was great. Though, I will admit, I only suffered one crash bug, in the last mission, right at the end, other than that, it was stable; your experience may vary.

31. poop says:

reminded me of generation kill, but only in a way that made me slightly angry at them for missing the point of that scene and for making me want to watch it again when I let a friend borrow my DVD :(

32. Bryan says: