Bolshy: Revolution Under Siege Demo

By John Walker on November 22nd, 2010 at 12:26 pm.

Where's the gun?

Set in post-World War One Russia, Revolution Under Siege is a strategy game in which you’re challenged to “save Holy Russia from the Red peril”. And it comes out tomorrow. Promising extraordinary realism in its historical detail, upon a very accurate map of Russia, it’s about taking the broken remains of the ruined army and rebuilding them into a powerful force. It’s looking like some hardcore strategy, using the AGEOD engine, and the sort of thing that requires a full-blown Tim Stone to understand. If you want to find out if you’re one of those, there’s a demo right here. The completely uninformative teaser trailer is below.

, , , , , .

1. Anarki says:

“Save” Russia from the Communists? That’s a bit messed up.

• MKharris says:

Well from the point of view of the White Russians they were trying to save imperial Russia from extremist revolutionaries. Whether the Imperial Russia was worthy of saving is open to debate of course.

My wife, being brought up in the Soviet, probably has much stronger views about it…

• A-Scale says:

A bit messed up to save Russia from the terror that murdered tens of millions, imposed a dictatorship lasting almost a century and left Russia in a feeble, still tyrannical state to this day? Yes, I would say that’s worth preventing.

• TCM says:

It wasn’t exactly the place to be beforehand. In fact, I’d say it sucked about as much, with more economic chance of death than political being the major difference.

2. Metal_circus says:

Call me a big socialist commie bastard but… wasn’t it the commies that saved Russia? (okay so it went all tits up but still!)

3. Moth Bones says:

Aaaaaaah! A strategy game where you took the role of Lenin in, say, 1905 and progressed onwards. Including trying to support the Communists in Germany after WW1, political manoeuvrings with Trotsky and Stalin etc. That would be way cool.

4. WMain00 says:

I uninstalled Tim Stone on my PC a while back. Will need to find my DVD.

5. President Weasel says:

There were a whole slew of “white” forces fighting against the “red” forces of communism. Some of whom were fighting to restore the monarchy while some were aiming to create a non-communist, non monarchical system. There were 4 or 5 years of civil war between these forces and the Bolsheviks, and between both of them and various nationalist forces trying to create their own states out of chunks of the Russian empire. Some of the whites ended up carving independent fiefdoms for themselves for a while too. The Western powers armed and supported the Whites for a bit, but in the end they got gubbed by the Reds.
    Quite an interesting period of history, and it looks like it might be fertile ground for a strategy game, assuming people can separate themselves from the politics and enjoy the little imaginary armies.

The Reds led to the disastrous collectivisation of agriculture and the persecution of the Kulaks, and to Stalinism and the eventual death of millions of their own citizens; the Whites were riddled with anti semitism and took time out from fighting the Reds to carry put pogroms. Not to mention the crazy stuff people like Roman Ungern von Sternberg got up to. So you could see the game as helping the jew haters defeat the peasant-starvers, I suppose.
    On the plus side, if you’re the Whites you probably get to be Cossacks. Who doesn’t want to be a Cossack?

• Om says:

Separating yourself from the politics seems like the last thing you’d want to do in this game. Crushing the reactionary counter-revolutionary Kerenskyites and Kornilovites sounds infinitely more enjoyable than dismissing AI Opponent #217

• President Weasel says:

Point.
      I meant separating yourself from value judgements, two legs bad, four legs good, and enjoying the strategy without any controversy.

In other news, today I learned about Nestor Makhno, anarchist leader and inventor of a horse-drawn machinegun platform. Thanks, Kári Tulinius.

• Vanger says:

@President Weasel

Actually, Antanta supplied Whites with ammunition very well – roughly the same quantity which Reds were able to make on central Russia’s factories.
      Amount of 3″ shells was even more.

Also, don’t forget the intervention.
      Would be fun to push French and American expedition forces into Black Sea and White Sea respectively.

• Sotto Voce says:

2 President Weasel:
      Contrary to the common misbelief pogroms were carried out by the Reds just as much as by the Whites, and to the much greater extent by the Greens (e.g. Petliura’s troops in Ukraine).

• Vanger says:

@Sotto Voce

Emm, no.

The Greens were Makhno’s troops. And Petlyura hated Makhno with passion.
      But yes, Petlyura’s short reign was really antisemtic.

On the other hand, I do not recall any systematic antisemitic actions by Reds, because a prominent number of commanders and comissars were Jews themselves.
      “Жиды-комиссары” as White propaganda described them.

• Om says:

@Sotto Voce: No doubt some pogroms did occur under the Reds’ watch but it is unquestionably false to assert that these were as common as under the Whites. The crimes committed by the latter against the Jewish population were myriad and systematic. In many devastated areas, the Ukraine springs to mind, it reached the point where Jewish communities would simply pack up and follow retreating Red Army divisions for fear of White reprisals. Bruce Lincoln’s ‘Red Victory’ gives a particularly memorable account of the subject

For a historical curiosity, here’s one of the few of Lenin’s speeches to survive. Just happens to be on anti-Semitism – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0ljxQsgUM4

@Vanger: I don’t like the label ‘Greens’ because there was no organised Green movement. Its simply something that’s applied to every non-Red/White force, but particularly peasant insurrections. Makhno’s army is often referred to as the Blacks while Petlyura was a nationalist

6. Kári Tulinius says:

Can I play as Nestor Makhno? I better be able to play as Nestor Makhno.

• vanarbulax says:

After a quick wikipedia (if I can use that as a verb) of the name I whole-heartedly agree. Sounds like one hell of a bad-ass leader.

• feighnt says:

yeah, i was wondering. games rarely bother with Anarchists, and most things that try to put Anarchists in ‘em just screw it all up. i’m not hopeful.

• Kieron Gillen says:

I have an enormous history crush on the Ukranian Anarchist period. SIGH.

KG

7. Om says:

I’ll be grabbing this, not least because I am a huge fan (read: geek) of the period in question. That AGEOD have an excellent reputation is a plus. Demo away Comrade!

8. MrMistofales says:

Is that the ‘Manych Depression’? Please tell me that’s pronounced how I think it is…

9. MrMistofales says:

Is that the ‘Manych Depression’? I hope that’s pronounced how I think it should be…

10. Rasputin's Own Bear says:

Ah, an RCW game. It’s strange that there are so few, really. One of the coolest wars ever.

11. Vanger says:

Will there be armoured trains?

Russian civil war was probably the only war in which armored trains played such a big role.

• MrThingy says:

One of the things that sticks out in my mind from Dr Zhivago was that armored train thingy.

Oh, and Goldeneye… :]

• Alikchi says:

Yes! Armoured trains are fully modeled and even individually named.

12. Alexander Norris says:

That is possibly one of the best teasers I’ve seen in a while. I especially liked the thing with the red arrows.

13. ASD says:

Hear hear, Spinoza.
    A game where you played as Makhno would be fantastic. Plus he’d make for a great (interesting, “badass”, etc.) character. I don’t think I’ve been able to personally sympathise with any side in videogames in which political views are propounded.
    Sadly it will probably never happen.

14. Spinoza says:

*you are spam* followed by error to *drop as line* link. both my post deleted. Please RPS fix or do sumfink.!!!!

15. Scundoo says:

RPS’s post is misleading. You of course can take any side in the struggle. Just the soviet music you heae on the games website (as opposed to God save the Tsar) would be enough of an indication…..

16. A-Scale says:

Oh fuck YES. FUCK YES. I LOVE THIS. I LOVE SOVIET STUFF.

In retrospect I’m afraid that this isn’t a game for me. Sad sad sad. Still, very cool concept.

17. Torgen says:

You know, I have a Russian Jewish friend whose family escaped the USSR when he was a child that has a different take on the “Reds weren’t anti-Semitic” remarks.

• F.V. says:

Quite a few of the bolsheviks were Jews, the best known being Trotsky, Lenin also had a little Jewish blood. Revolutionary Insurrectionary Army of Ukraine (Black Army) also had a few Jewish members.
      Here’s what Lenin had to say about Pogroms and antisemitism:

“The tsarist police, in alliance with the landowners and the capitalists, organised pogroms against the Jews. The landowners and capitalists tried to divert the hatred of the workers and peasants who were tortured by want against the Jews. … It is not the Jews who are the enemies of the working people. The enemies of the workers are the capitalists of all countries. Among the Jews there are working people, and they form the majority. They are our brothers, who, like us, are oppressed by capital; they are our comrades in the struggle for socialism. … The capitalists strive to sow and foment hatred between workers of different faiths, different nations and different races. … Rich Jews, like rich Russians, and the rich in all countries, are in alliance to oppress, crush, rob, and disunite the workers. … Shame on those who foment hatred towards the Jews, who foment hatred towards other nations.”

• Torgen says:

Yes, and we see how well the Russian Communists hewed to the words of Lenin and Marx.

• Wandered_In says:

@ Torgen
      I believe I speak for many when I say: Screw Stalin. Bastard.

18. F.V. says:

Of course a few people like Mikhail Bakunin, who actually was a anti-semite asshole, predicted that the Bolsheviks would end up being just as bad as the Tzars.
    Imagine how different the Soviet Union had been if it had been Trotsky that took power instead of that insane douchebag Stalin.

• feighnt says:

… the Soviet Union would’ve likely been just as bad if Trotsky was in power. Trotsky implimented many of the oppressive, inegalitarian stuff that Stalin simply carried on with or expanded. if Trotsky had stayed in power, he likely would’ve just expanded on it too.

Trotsky, however much he viewed himself as a socialist, was a very *bad* one. one that believed that, in order to make a socialist country, you had to create something extremely non-socialist. same goes for Lenin, and the other Bolshevists.

• Kieron Gillen says:

ANARCHIST COCK-FACT GO!

Bakunin was impotent.

KG

• Om says:

Say what you like about Bakunin Mr KG, but he’d destroy you in a beard-off

(It just struck me that RUS is going to have a lot of facial hair. Not sure if that’s a good thing…)

19. Moth Bones says:

To pin anti-semitism in the early 20th century on any particular political faction seems a bit odd to be honest; it was endemic, having been encouraged by the established Christian churches for centuries.

• Torgen says:

My point exactly.

• Om says:

Hmmm? Surely that is all the more reason to applaud early efforts to oppose anti-Semitism?

I mean, here we have two very contrasting movements – one was rabidly anti-Semitic even by the standards of the time, made extensive use of anti-Semitic propaganda and lies, and actively encouraged pogroms; while the other consistently condemned such actions in the strongest language, took active measures to educate the non-Jewish population, and placed no barriers to the advancement of Jews in their own organisations.

Not everybody is a fan of the Bolsheviks (understatement) but it has to be acknowledged that they were exceptionally progressive for their time in this regard. Certainly they disprove the idea that all “early 20th C political factions” were equally anti-Semitic

20. wordsmythe says:

While some of the bigger facts are fairly dependable, things like which enemy of the revolution was anti-semitic are much more difficult to say with any certainty. The USSR spent a lot of energy on crafting a very specific version of history–a version that portrays enemies as vile creatures of ignorance and greed while portraying the heroes of the revolution as secular saints. There may be truth on both sides, there, but I can’t claim to know it.

It’ll be interesting to see how this game depicts the stories and individuals of that era.

21. Alikchi says:

The demo was quite a lot of fun if you take big dense games as a challenge (I do)