Hey Cube: Back To The Cubeture

By Quintin Smith on November 22nd, 2010 at 12:45 pm.

This is actually what pixels look like under a microscope.

This weekend, Andrew Dennis of flash game dev Edible Castle wrote to tell us about their Back to the Cubeture games, which I’m posting about despite Andrew admitting he didn’t read RPS until recently. What could he have been reading before that? What else is there? Soft drink cans and the instructions on parking meters, I suppose.

Back to the Cubeture is, however, pretty great, and will happily gobble up as much time as you choose to give it. It’s an adventure game where you guide spunky protagonist Cu Boy through time and space in order to bring criminal cat Padrino to justice. All of the dialogue’s massively keen to please, the world is cute, and plenty of the music and SFX is done by voice and is generally adorable. Go play! There’s a sequel on the way too, and you can watch the trailer below.

“Prepare for the adventure game of the week. Maybe even the month.”

Good work, Edible Castle.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. MrBRAD! says:

For how many years do I need to chain-smoke cigarettes to get a voice like that?

2. Amasius says:

How cube… ehm cute!

3. Giant, fussy whingebag says:

Jolly good cubing! Hold on to your trousers!

Is it trying too hard to be English, or is it just that English?

4. Tei says:

This seems to have all the 80 types of awesome. Looking back (see what I did here?) for it.

5. frags says:

Time traveling evil cat? Checking this out now!

6. terry says:

Loving the art style of this yere game.

7. Kollega says:

Cat cast as a villain yet again? Oh come on… this is supposed to be indie, defying the existing genre conventions! Why is that we can have the infinity of unique worlds and all kinds of plots and themes, but heroic cats are almost never to be found anywhere? Sigh.

• Ian says:

The heroic cats are outshone by the general bastardry of their kind.

• Wulf says:

I feel very much the same way about wolves and big cats, who’re often portrayed in a very negative way in games as well. It’s like game developers have a problem in their pants, that problem being feelings of inadequacy. :p This seems to be a ‘feature’ of humanity though; if something is capable, efficient, clever, and generally very good at what it does, there will be a collective effort by those who are not to portray said something as being the exact opposite of what it actually is. There are so many parallels of this in the Scientific world as well.

Someone should probably write a paper on it, it would likely be an entertaining paper, filled with home truths. Me though? I don’t feel the need to go around portraying efficient beings or creatures as anything other than what they are, since I don’t particularly feel too inadequate. But yes, whenever I see man’s triumphs over the evil, stupid things (which actually aren’t particularly evil, and are usually very intelligent), I can only think of it as feelings of inadequacy. To me, it just screams that they need their dicks embiggened. :p It’s no different than misogyny, really, it’s all the same stable of thought.

• westyfield says:

Siamese cats are always portrayed as the most evil of all – I wondered why everyone thought that I was a horrible person for having Siamese cats until I saw this a few months ago:

8. thesundaybest says:

I’m still watching the intro and already I like it. “Who’s the best guesser….?”

9. Flobulon says:

Hahah, I have so much love for Cuboy, I was constantly chuckling for about 20 minutes straight. Couldn’t complete the final showdown though, seemed a bit of a difficulty spike.

10. CMaster says:

Yay, got stuck!
    Got to the Indian, wandered back to town wondering if the drunk guy knew what his name was (now realise that I should have gone to the Totem pole). Now however, I can’t get back to the Indian as I don’t have the directions in the desert any more. Rubbish.

Also, it’s Pass-tah, not par-star.

11. Thants says:

Aww, I thought this was a new one but it’s the one I’ve played before. Anyhow, good to hear there’s a sequel on the way.

Oh, and for fan of this there are 3 cartoons of it as well.

Comment on this story