Monty Python Facebook Games Inbound

By Quintin Smith on November 22nd, 2010 at 9:45 am.

Supposedly Holy Grail was a horrible chore to make.

I plucked this odd story off the Edge tree. UK studio Zattikka, creators of, uh, Isoball 2 and mobile phone title Mr Bean: Out Of Control, has announced that it’s acquired the rights to produce “social and browser games” based on Monty Python’s Flying Circus. They’ve also updated their site with a ‘Coming Soon’ header hinting at a ‘Ministry of Silly Games’.

According to Zattikka the surviving members of Monty Python (including animator Terry Gilliam) will be involved in the project, which is described as “a homage to all the characters, settings, sketc hes and comedic approach that has made Monty Python a worldwide phenomenon.” You can read the full announcement from Zattikka CEO Tim Chaney after the jump.

“Monty Python is one of the most iconic comedy licenses around, but there has been no new material for over 20 years. By acquiring these rights we will be transporting Monty Python into the 21st Century, with a totally new experience for their unique comedy that will delight old and new fans alike. Forget Web 2.0, this is Python two point one and three quarters”.

Hmm. More news next month, apparently. In the meantime, let’s all enjoy some classic Flying Circus.

Actually, that just makes me want to watch Look Around You.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Quasar says:

If they ruin Python, there’ll be a riot. But you’d hope that, with the Pythons themselves involved, it can’t go too wrong.

And let’s face it, Python is timeless.

2. Giant, fussy whingebag says:

Not really sure how they’d do this without it being a cheesy nostalgia affair… The quote from that Chaney fellow hardly inspires enthusiasm, as well.

I’ll reserve judgement, but I wager this will be something best avoided.

3. Unaco says:

Hmmm… I smell mini-games.

4. JackShandy says:

National Lampoons Chess Maniac five billion and one, anyone?

5. Spacewalk says:

If this will end up being anything like the minigames in the Holy Grail PC game than it should be an afternoon’s worth of hilarity.

6. MrEvilGuy says:

You english people are too obseeseesed with ontney pyton he is american!

7. Kid A says:

And now for something different: the ruthless plundering of a well-loved IP in the name of a quick buck.

Oh wait.

8. subedii says:

I thought Rock Of Ages was the Monty Python game.

9. Hodge says:

No Gilliam in the picture makes Hodge cry.

This reminds me though, did anyone here ever play Monty Python’s Complete Waste Of Time? It was a multimedia thingy that came out in the mid 90s. I missed it at the time, and have often wondered if it’s worth tracking down.

• zipdrive says:

Hodge, I bought Complete Waste of Time thinking it was an actual game and was utterly disappointed to learn that it was actually a bunch Windows 95-era widgets and nonsense that you could fiddle with. Some fart noises and such for windows sounds, maybe a mini game or two and a bunch of animations, sound clips and other bits to chase around with your mouse.

I returned it to the store, which I find strange, as I’ve never been able to return PC software, games included, any other time before or since.

• Jonathan says:

Surely this is the proper Monty Python game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK1fl8S-ztM

• Hodge says:

@zipdrive *shudder* Thanks for the warning. I’m still tempted to check it out, if only to see how bad it is.

@Jonathan Now that one I didplay… and it was rubbish. (apart from the little argument sub-game bit between levels, which was surprisingly well done).

• Jason Moyer says:

Complete Waste of Time did have an actual game hidden in it, you just had to figure out how to access it and then what you were supposed to do once you gained access.

10. CMaster says:

Shame that the amount of malware out there and facebook’s shoddy security means it’s not safe to do anything other than completely disable applications for facebook at the moment.

• CMaster says:

Oh, just in case anyone things I’m one of these security/privacy cranks with regards to Facebook, I’ll explain what happened to me, and why everyone on FB should disable applications outright:

From a friend, I received a link. A link to a page at facebook.com (I moused over the link and it was as it said, there was nothing odd about the URL – ie it wasn’t http://www.facebook.com.dodgysite.ru or anything). The message containing the link was a little odd, but feasible. I clicked on the link and just got a blank page with the FB banner at the top. However, I quickly discovered, leaving the page and returning home, that the application had given itself full access to my data, and sent out messages to numerous of my friends. This was without me authorising anything, just clicking one link to a facebook.com address.

• Clovis says:

I recently saw someone refer to “zyn.ga/Y1ST32″ as a thing to click on to get some Mafia War points. (Note: I have Mafia Wars blocked, but they wrote this themselves) I pointed out that such an address is almostly certainly a scam. But, it turns out, that Zynga decided to create their own URL shortener by buying an address in Gabon. Seems like a really terrible idea because it encourages users to accept weird URLs like that.

11. Xercies says:

Just watched Look Around You Very Funny!

Best Monty Python film has to be Meaning of Life for me.

12. Thants says:

Sounds like they’re just beating a dead parrot.

13. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Everything everyone else said.

14. Bascule42 says:

Nobody expects the Facebook IP acquisition.

15. Ravenger says:

Run away!

16. brulleks says:

There was an MP:FC game on the 8-bits, which was an extremely poor use of the IP as well.

If this wasn’t on Facebook I might be vaguely interested to see what cock they come up with this time around. As it is, then my curiosity has immediately been doused anyway, without any need for further disappointment.

17. strange headache says:

Well now I’m in an awful dilemma. Monty Python on the one side, facebook games on the other. I feel like a cat, with a buttered toast strapped to its back. Oh woe is me…

18. phuzz says:

That sketch will forever be linked in my head with Operation Flashpoint, because of this.
    (yet again showing off the potential of BIS’s editors)

19. Ezhar says:

Oh noes, RPS is turning into Rock, Paper, Ifoundalostcowonmyfarmvillefarm

20. Jhoosier says:

I both love and hate MP. Love for the joy they’ve brought me, hate for the way people abuse their comedy. I suppose if I had to have a religion, I’d be a Pythonite.

21. Saiko Kila says:

I hope they’re going to make it Python 2 compatible, because there’s no power on earth or in heaven which could make me to install Python 3.

22. Eli Just says:

I was just made aware of Look Around You. Now there is some quality comedy.

23. Araxiel says:

My nippels are not quit exploding with delight
    I ho tha th wi no me i up
    Because most games are bad on Facebook.
    Yes, Facebook, where the photos are taken with cameras.
    Where’s videogame repairman when we need him?
    If they’re going to ruin Monty Pyton then they will have to face my two most fearsome weapons; grapefruits, a pointy stick and the holy hand granade of antioch…my three most fearsome weapons; a slap in the face…ah forget it

helloooooooooooooooooo!