Poker Night At The Inventory Released Today

By Quintin Smith on November 22nd, 2010 at 6:15 pm.

We’ve got mere hours to go until comedy poker sim Poker Night At The Inventory unlocks over at Steam. Have you got it pre-ordered? It’s cheap! A paltry £2.92. That is literally no money.

In case you’ve forgotten, this bizarre camembert-powered dream of a game has you playing cards with Max from Sam & Max, Tycho from Penny Arcade, Strong Bad from Homestar Runner and The Heavy from Team Fortress 2. As a neat extra, beating each of these characters earns you an item of theirs that can be equipped in Team Fortress 2. The latest trailer (which I don’t believe we’ve posted) lies below, and John’s Wot I Think lies in wait at some point in the near future.

I used to have poker nights with my friends when I was about 16. Sometimes that felt pretty cool, and sometimes one of my friends would bring along a kebab and lay it out on the table like a backalley doctor opening up a gunshot victim. My playing cards are still smudged with chilli sauce. I do not miss being a teenager.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Kaira- says:

Fools! It’s Max from Sam & Max!

• Ricc says:

Also, my jaw literally dropped to the floor, when I saw the use of “literally” in this post. ;)

2. Octacon100 says:

I bought this for the tf2 hat. Because getting a game for the price of a real tf2 hat in tf2 is a bargain.

3. Out Reach says:

I ran to steam when I saw this… It’s not out for another 6 hours >>

4. Berm says:

Says it will unlock tomorrow for me.

5. Fumarole says:

Is Tycho voiced by Holkins? For some reason, in my head, that voice doesn’t fit with the character.

edit – apparently not, as a quick wikipedia search reveals. It is this guy:

• Arthur Barnhouse says:

Yeah, that guy just isn’t Tycho to me, but the PA guys liked him so maybe he’ll be better in the game than in that trailer.

6. Berzee says:

I think this is an amazing idea and I would play it in a heartbeat if:

1) It did not have Tycho.

2) It was not cards.

7. faelnor says:

Poker that is not multi player is scarcely poker at all.

• Vandelay says:

It’s not multiplayer? That does seem a bit pointless. Oh well, it is only just under £3, so probably still worth a punt.

They should have had Guybrush though, instead of that Penny Arcade guy. To be honest, I didn’t even know who it was when I watched the video.

• subedii says:

I’m guessing LucasArts wouldn’t be as keen on the idea of Guybrush appearing in a game they don’t control the content of. That’s just speculation on my part though.

• Vandelay says:

Probably a good point. It was my initial thought too, which I dismissed when I thought of Max. Of course, that is forgetting that Lucasarts don’t own Sam & Max.

8. Mark says:

Why can’t this not be multiplayer? :(

Ah, to hell with it. A game worth less than a return bus ticket is hardly a high risk investment. You got me, TellTale.

• Arthur Barnhouse says:

I’m having trouble deciphering that statement. Are you mad because it doesn’t have multiplayer, or mad at people who are demanding multiplayer?

• Mark says:

The first thing.

9. terry says:

I believe the reason it’s not multiplayer is sorta the whole point of the game is the banter between the characters, which would be difficult to do MP (unless they did it like ComicChat or something similarly horrible).

• CreepingDeath says:

I could give you a massive hug right now! Finally someone that understands why its single player only!

And trying to explain that to those that are crying over no mp is like talking to a brick wall… that’s constantly collapsing on me -.-

• Po0py says:

Well, to be fair not a lot of people know much about the game in the first place. There has been very little in the way of previews and talk about it on the various sites other than the fact that it is a poker game and involves a whole bunch of different characters from other games. Oh, and you get a TF2 hat. That’s it.

10. Kadayi says:

Steam? But Steam is the evillest of evil DRM (because you, the sheeple don’t realise it’s DRM). This is wrong, totally wrong. By buying this game you are handing the freedom of future generations of PC gamers over to the tyranny of The Man. I hope you can all sleep easy at night, you, you murderers….

/S

• Froibo says:

Everyone knows steam is DRM they just don’t care because unlike other DRM steam offers you services in exchange for it.

• Lilliput King says:

Kayadi, you have become what you hate.

If you stare into the abyss long enough etc etc.

• Koozer says:

I may enjoy the rest of this thread.

• Mistabashi says:

Although I’m wary of provoking yet more DRM discussion in a thread that doesn’t even warrant it’s mention, I feel I must correct you:

SteamWorks is DRM. Steam is not. Unless the game uses SteamWorks it doesn’t use Steam’s DRM system, it uses whatever the publisher chose to use instead.

• Kadayi says:

/s for sarcasm.

^..^

• Lilliput King says:

“What was great about this site back in the early days was it was full of people who actually wanted to talk and discuss games as a progressive medium with some enthusiam, somewhere along the way the rot set in though and it’s now been overrun by people who are more interested in arguing about how great games were back in the old days or how they won’t support certain developers because (insert pram from rattle argument) they dare to try and save guard their profit margins. It’s fucking tragic really…..”

• Kadayi says:

@Lilliput King

Indeed. No doubt said by a wise man. Probably one making a point, by pre-emptively lampooning idiocy.

• Lilliput King says:

You genuinely can’t see the irony of this situation? You aren’t discussing videogames, you’re discussing discussing videogames, and at times discussing discussing discussing videogames.

• DJ Phantoon says:

Lilliput, did you quote that from some post on 4chan?

• Kadayi says:

@Lilliput King

I’m all about the irony. That’s the beauty. Can’t you taste it? Like Silver.

11. DSVella says:

OK so i am not sure whats going on here. This morning at 8AM. it said 1 hour to go. Come home at 7PM. 5 Hours to go. Something seems to be going wrong.

Tell Tale, can I have my game please?

12. Medina says:

Would it be better to this of this as a TF2 item pack that comes with a stand alone mini-game?

13. ZIGS says:

So wait, now they’re giving free games when you buy TF2 items?

14. DrugCrazed says:

Feh, it’ll be a laugh.

15. pakoito says:

We need a review to see if the games AI is up to the level, but I won’t buy it out of pure gimmick.

16. geldonyetich says:

The low price tag probably having to do with it being a poker game weighed down with jokes that aren’t particularly funny the 20th time they’ve been delivered.

Expectations set appropriately low, sure, I can afford $4.50.

• geldonyetich says:

About 8 games in (and running -$30000) I can say that the banter isn’t that repetitive. Even when I’ve heard the line before, the appeal of the atmosphere of the Inventory remains, so it’s a pretty decent poker experience indeed.

Now, if only I were lucky enough to be dealt better cards. This game seems difficult if only because of the sheer cosmic cruelty involved in the luck of the draw.

• DJ Phantoon says:

I’m doing quite well. Just understand that the characters will play like they should, more or less. Tycho won’t do more than check half the time, Max will bet half his money when he has nothing, Heavy will press any advantage to force you to play bad cards or lose too much, and Strongbad will randomly bet at the start, go all in, and get a winning hand on the last card. You can bluff them, and they seem to be able to recognize if that actually could make a hand, or if you’re randomly betting.

17. The One and Only says:

To be honest, Max and Heavy are the only reason I bought this game.

Considering it’s Telltale though, I’m expecting it to be a good laugh, I had fun just watching the trailer.

18. Army of None says:

LITERALLY no money, Quinns? What about metaphorically? Is it figuratively, zero currency units? Relativistically, absence of all bits of moneys?

Also, yay! I may buy this game, either for myself or a friend, this holiday season.

• faelnor says:

Everyone knows that english pounds are literally not money!

• Vinraith says:

I’ve never understood how British folks get around carrying all that weight anyway.

• DJ Phantoon says:

Is Vinraith Canadian, or something?

• Devan says:

No, Canadians know that pounds are units of money, not mass. That said, we’re not quite sure what to think of a “quid”.

• DJ Phantoon says:

Oh, I automatically thought it was a fat joke.

• Vinraith says:

@Phantoon

Nope, it was a “Americans don’t understand foreign currency” joke. We’ve got no room whatsoever to make fat jokes, after all.

19. MrEvilGuy says:

For a person who rarely talks while hanging out with friends, this game will eradicate the need for real friends.

20. TCM says:

It’s not like I only have $10 to my name, or anything.

Wait, yes it is.

Frig it, bought it anyhow.

21. giantRedButton says:

It is released now, installing it right now.
    Got unlocked a bit early (22. Nov is only for another 12 minutes though)

22. Dominic White says:

It’s up. It’s fun, charming and simple stuff. It won’t change your life, but it sure as hell beats Solitaire. There’s a basic (text/illustrated) poker tutorial in there, and a list of hands in order of winfulness, but it’s not much of a teaching game.

It’s funny stuff, though. Nice feature: You can choose whether Tycho’s swearing is beeped or not. I reckon a nice little way to pass 15-20 minutes every now and then.

23. malkav11 says:

Everything about the game tempts me except the poker, as I have no real interest in poker. Hence I never bothered to get it.

24. TCM says:

Rest assured, Tycho’s personality is completely intact and startlingly, hilariously accurate.

It’s not a game I will marathon play, for sure, but a couple tournies a day should keep things fresh and fun. Lots of the conversations are good stuff.

25. Po0py says:

It’s a rudimentary poker game. The only thing it really has going for it is the dialogue which is decent but not laugh out loud funny, imho. A lot of the humor requires knowledge of the S&M and StrongBad games for understanding. Other than that you might as well be playing for play chips on PokerStars. For a couple of pounds it’s pretty decent, I suppose.

26. GenBanks says:

Only played about half an hour but I really like the dialogue, and the poker has been fun so far. Lots of ‘in’ jokes related to the characters in question, so if you haven’t played any of the games involved it won’t be as funny. The Heavy’s dialogue though, is absolutely spot on and hillarious imo.

27. Sinomatic says:

As someone who has been meaning to re-learn how to play poker for the last several years, I’m finding this quite a fun way to pass the evening. For £3 its been worth it for me, and that’s not even counting the TF2 items that I may win at some point. If I ever actually win more than a few hands.

28. buemba says:

So far I’m really enjoying it (Specially since it seems Max bets/folds at random regardless of what cards he has, which fits the character beautifully), but once the dialog starts repeating itself I doubt I’ll keep playing since the flow of the game is too slow for my taste.

Still, well worth 5 bucks. Hell, I’ve lost more on actual poker.

• Sinomatic says:

Right-clicking seems to skip the dialogue along, to help speed things up….

29. The Hon. Reverend Fred Gherkin says:

You could save some money, watch videos of the banter on Youtube and then play some proper Poker elsewhere.

• GHudston says:

For the price of the game, I’d rather reward the creators for bringing the funny. It’s less than £3 for christ sake!

• DJ Phantoon says:

When Telltale games charged an outrageous sum of five bucks for a game about Poker, Fred Gherkin was there to say “NO!” We should all follow his example, and DEMAND that games be produced by bored or incompetent studios that charge a normal, AMERICAN, sixty dollars. Vote Reverend Fred!

Also, what? Where are you going to find a cheaper Poker game? Protip: Leave the banter on the setting it’s supposed to be at. The games will take too long and you’ll hear all the jokes too quickly if it’s any higher.

• GenBanks says:

Good idea… if you want to strip the banter of all contextual charm, don’t care about tf2 items, and can’t afford a price point equal to the kebab at the end of a night out.

30. MadTinkerer says:

Was that a reference to the recent controversial court case in California? I think it was. :)

EDIT: Okay, that wasn’t very clear: I’m referring to the opening cutscene of the game.

31. Rick says:

Its good. The game mechanics work well, the characters are engaging, the dialogue from all four is spot on and funny. The only complaint I have is that the environment isn’t that dynamic. It would be nice to see some of the characters they show on the introduction moving around, to make the place feel more alive. Instead, all we get once we’re at the table is Flint sitting at the bar not doing anything and Bluster Blaster sitting next to the bar not doing anything. Then its heavy sitting in an alcove not doing anything, Tycho sitting at the bar not doing anything, Strong Bad playing Bluster Blaster, and Max walking around not doing anything.

But that’s ultimately only minor niggling, the actual important parts of the game are well executed.

32. Fergus says:

For the ridiculous acid-induced fantasy that it is, it’s pretty good. Good use more slapstick humour, though. Having Max and The Heavy at the same table without there being some kind of cartoonish violence occuring at some point seems like an opportunity misse.

33. Hmm-Hmm. says:

I guess I just don’t understand why people would want to pay for digital card games when the real thing is so much better. I guess it can be annoying if you have few friends living nearby (or they dislike card games), and it can be diverting to play a card game by yourself.. but for that last there are plenty of freeware card games available.

• Dozer says:

I suppose, at this price, PNATI is cheaper than a really good deck of cards.

• KillahMate says:

I don’t understand how people don’t understand that other people are paying a very small amount of money for an opportunity to spend an evening or two with the Heavy, Max, Strongbad and Tycho. Which is what this is. Poker is mostly a glorified excuse.

34. Oak says:

Strongbad is as revolutionary as Napoleon.

35. MikoSquiz says:

I’m enjoying it, except for the lack of a setting that turns Strong Bad off. He’s not amusing, just grating.