Conducting War: Red Orchestra 2 Pics

By John Walker on November 23rd, 2010 at 12:18 am.

I can see myself in the army if I were allowed to lie down all the time. But not with the guns. In a bed. At home.

Mod-gone-pro Red Orchestra sequel, Heroes of Stalingrad, has released a bunch of new screenshots. The last time we saw such a thing was in June. Some of them show men with guns. Others show completely empty rooms. Why do all developers and publishers, of all sizes, continue to release screenshots of empty rooms despite their being of no use to anyone in the entire universe? (This game looks interesting, but what might it look like if neither I nor anyone else is playing it?) I’ve no idea. I’ve chosen not to include them below, so sorry to those who were desperate to see a big empty blue-ish building. There’s also a swanky trailer below that’s a wee bit old, but I don’t think we’ve posted it before.

For more info about the game, check Alec’s write up of it, and 25 minutes of footage that Quintin brought to our attention. Meanwhile, click on these, and the one above, to see them bigger. The game’s due out some time next year, although it’s already got itself a Steam page, which will at least tell you system specs.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Reefpirate says:

Whoa boy. Your screenshot exploded on my RPS front page…

2. Novotny says:

Can’t wait for this.

3. Berm says:

My most waited game of 2011.

4. Novotny says:

Um – doesn’t that german fellow in the third pic look awfully like Alan Partridge giving it some ‘AH-HA!’? The officer is clearly ordering the rifleman to shoot him immediately.

5. Jason Moyer says:

Has there ever been a trailer for a WWII game that didn’t take at least one scene directly from Saving Private Ryan?

6. Alex Bakke says:

That was a really nifty trailer! It managed to get all of the cool mechanics featured.

• kwyjibo says:

Random scenes without any narrative direction, doesn’t make for a nifty trailer.

• D says:

Think of it as 3rd person in-game footage. At first, you were that guy who ran and got his legs exploded. Then you respawned and ran to get exploded as the second guy. Then you got mad and teamswitched. You see where I’m going with this.

7. tycho says:

You can just see the officer in the second pic shouting ‘BANG’ while pointing his finger at the soldier, who clutches his stomach briefly before realising he isn’t actually shot.

8. Doth Messar says:

I was scared they weren’t going to put tanks in. I see now that they may be. I also can’t wait for the Pacific add on to come with it. Going to be a very non-productive 2011 for me.

• KingTalo says:

The tanks will be fairly realistically detailed (for an FPS), the tank interiors are fully modeled and animated.Each position is, by default occupied, by a bot (the AI is vastly improved over RO:Ostfront), the player can choose to keep the tank locked from other players and move/switch to the other positions inside the tank.

They announced that the game will initially ship with 2 tanks (one russian, one german), and that the first content pack will include 4 new vehicles (2 tanks, and 2 transport vehicles; again, one for each side). It will also include new tank maps, as always based off of real engagements. Any gameplay content update for the game will be free (as they’ve always done).

And as for the pacific front mod, it’s semi collaborative. They said that if the mod team comes up with something really good, they’ll take it polish it up, sell it on Steam, and let the mod team share in the profits (I think that’s what their challenge was). If the pacific mod ends up decent, they’ll just upload it on Steam for free.

Anyway, it’s looking good, can’t wait for the open beta (hopefully this year still?) as I doubt this game will have a demo (though i’m an RO junky, I really want to see if my specs can handle RO2)

• JB says:

I like the fact that you’ll have to wait while your avatar clambers around the interior of the tank when you switch position.

• coldwave says:

>the player can choose to keep the tank locked from other players and move/switch to the other positions inside the tank.

Oh my, I can already see griefing potential.

• kulak says:

Actually, this removes griefing potential.

The locking of tanks is in respect to spawning.

If you select a tank class, you will spawn inside a tank. If you are a tank commander, you can choose to “lock” the tank before it spawns, and only let people you want to spawn inside.

To be more realistic, tanks spawn with full crews now, so if other players don’t join, AI fill the slots.

This stops what occasionally used to happen, where some asshole could repeatedly get inside your tank and either drive you into a minefield, or occupy the gunner seat and not use it.

• Skurmedel says:

Yes this is a definite improvement. Only problem I see is if there is not tanks enough to go around and everyone wants to drive on their own. But it is in effect like this already, so maybe not a huge problem.

9. Barman1942 says:

Oh boy, is that the Lafette tripod for the MG42? I think it is!

Also that snow looks delish.

10. wazups2x says:

Can’t wait for this game, it’s going to be great!

11. ugg classic tall says:

12. julie1231 says:

It looks so great.
    [url=http://www.goodorient.com/prom_Dress_C333]Formal Prom Dress[/url]
    [url=http://www.goodorient.com/Wedding_C671]Wedding Ideas[/url]
    [url=http://www.goodorient.com/Wedding_C671]Cheap Wedding Dress[/url]

13. BananaBungalow says:

Not interested if they can’t get the netcode right this time.

• Skurmedel says:

In what way were the netcode in RO wrong? I’ve never any issues with it. Bolt-action rifles break down somewhat when you’ve got something like a >130 ping, but that is hardly a good ping either. I don’t expect anyone to be able to use the railgun properly with this latency either.

14. A-Scale says:

We live in an amazing world where games like Bioshock and Red Orchestra get proper sequels. I am so very pleased about this. The original RO was a one of a kind game. I can only hope the sequel will be as well.

15. Flaringo says:

Woah, am I the only one seeing the freaky optical illusion in the first picture? It’s a 2-floor house, but the way it’s taken makes it kind of look like it’s all on the same floor, so the guy standing underneath the guys on the second floor just looks like he’s really small.

16. Rii says:

“There’s also a swanky trailer below that’s a wee bit old, but I don’t think we’ve posted it before.”

The trailer has been featured on RPS before; here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09/02/red-orchestra-the-pax-trailer/

Hence the reason tags should be as imprecise as possible whilst preserving utility: Red Orchestra, period.

• D says:

Or rather, the “Tripwire Interactive” tag will get all posts about Tripwire related games. This post is tagged only with “Tripwire”.

17. Snidesworth says:

“For the first time ever in a first person shooter gamers will be able to experience WWII from the Axis side in a German single player campaign.”

Is this really true? Has nobody else ever made a single player FPS that gives you an Axis campaign?

• Skurmedel says:

I don’t think so actually. Plenty of strategy games, but no first person games that I know of. Mostly you play Axis as a faction in multiplayer.

• coldwave says:

There was a Polish game where you fight after the war against Soviets as a former German sniper who surrendered to Americans. Or something.

18. wilsonam says:

We haven’t been able to find any FPS where you can play SP as the Germans… but tell us if you find it! Tanks long since confirmed. Locking of tanks is indeed to prevent griefing. Dates on the various Beta programs still TBD. yes, that is a Lafette tripod – but with the MG-34 on it, not the MG-42 :)

19. Shadrach says:

I’m looking so much forward to this! Too bad it does not have the IS-2 Greatest tank of WW2 but that can come later. Back to coding Alan!

• tigershuffle says:

so long as they let 3rd party modders have a free rein again…..we can expect Darkest Hour 2 and Mare Nostrum 2……. :) hopefully

Hope the Sov tank is T34-76 and German tank is PZIV …..the Tiger and IS2 etc can wait a little while…but IS2, KV, Tiger n Panthers and all the others would be nice

20. herpa says:

German singleplayer campaign?

Yes please, it’s about goddamn time.

21. Davee says:

Damn it, TW – you are getting me all hyped up!
    Easily my most anticipated game of 2011. I can’t wait until I get my hands on a Mosin again.

• P3RF3CT D3ATH says:

Mosin Nagant and IS-2, the best rifle and tank of World War Two.

• Zaltehook says:

While the Mosin Nagant was and still is a fine bolt action rifle it was definitely not the best rifle of the era.
      That title fits the M1 overall and the German Mauser/K98k for bolt action much better.
      I own two Mosins(a Russian Izhevsk 91/30 and a Finnish M91) and they shoot like champs, but there’s a reason I’m still looking for a K98k and a K31.

22. rammjaeger says:

So John Walker, just to answer your question on why devs and publishers release screenshots without gratuitous action in them:

Believe it or not taking really awesome press-worthy screenshots is VERY time consuming. Unless your game is SUPER scripted (like I don’t know, some recently released FPS games) getting action shots is very difficult when everything is dynamic. Perhaps very large publishers have an entire legion of people that just sit around doing nothing but take screenshots. But when your a larger indie like Tripwire any time we take screenshots it takes a person away from actually finishing the game. So we usually mix in some cool action shots with some cool shots of the level. Screenshots like this one:

We feel are pretty awesome and atmospheric, but would be pretty difficult to try and get just right with other human players or dynamic AI running around battling (you know “lets stand in this place for a while and hope someone has a gun battle in front of us so we can take a picture”). We feel shots like this are interesting enough to stand on their own without any explosions or guys standing there shouting and pointing with their mouths open.

So sorry to have gotten your goat, but our fans I think will be happy to have more screenshots than less released, with action or not :)

Comment on this story