Lara Gets Online Co-Op, At Flipping Last

By John Walker on November 23rd, 2010 at 6:38 pm.

Hooray, we can all be friends now!

Coo, at last, the completely excellent Lara Croft & The Guardian Of Light has online co-op. Quite how it didn’t ship with this feature – something pretty essential to its core design – is a mystery. But it’s finally there now, and since you’ll have bought it via Steam it’ll automagically update the next time you load the grey gaming window. This’ll let you play the game with a chum, which I’d rather like to do now please. There’s also a few other tweaks, including graphical and audible improvements, refining of both mouse/keyboard and controller input, and general stability. So good!

« »

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Wolfox says:

It should be “Lara Croft & The Guardian Of Light”, not “Lara Croft & The Angel Of Light”.

2. Brumisator says:

I played the demo, and it was pretty neat, but I don’t have a gamepad, and for possibly the 1st time ever, I feel it’s necessary for some of the diagonal jumps.

• pkt-zer0 says:

Not really, I got through the game just fine using the keyboard. Jumping has fairly generous auto-aim going on.

• Matt W says:

I got the same impresson from the damn jumping-between-blocks bit in the demo, but having bought the game and retrieved my gamepad, I decided quickly that mouse and keyboard is much better. The only bits you need precision jumping are that one bit in the first level and some rotating platforms later, and for the rest of the game mouse-aiming is way better than having to use a toggle button to activate your guns.

• DrGonzo says:

I’m on the fence. I can see why people would prefer both over the other. The aiming is much better with a mouse and keyboard, but the platforming is easier with a controller in my opinion.

Rinox says:

Seems like the demo still doesn’t include online co-op though, or am I missing it? It’s just that I wouldn’t mind buying it just on the promise of online co-op fun, but I’d have to convince a friend to do the same and that will be hard if I can’t at least have a test run with him/her…

• Sevrinus says:

Buy the game and have your friend over to play same PC coop. They will like it so much they will purchace their own copy and you can play on your own PC’s from then on. Though I personally find it the most fun to play together on the same PC. Something about being able to actually punch someone next to you when they make fun of your lack of jumping ability . . .

4. Butterbumps says:

…core design…

I see what you did there. And yes, it’s about damn time.

5. Urael says:

I think to buy this game I’m going to have to overcome my viewpoint prejudice. I’m used to her from behind (fnar), not watching from up on the ceiling!

Still…I do love me a bit of Lara. Perhaps I can convince a friend to pur-chase for the upcoming gift-fest.

6. Xercies says:

I want to be your chum!

I don’t have the game though :(

7. Grawl says:

I’m having a fight with a buddy over who gets to play Lara :( This game brings so much sad things into the world.

• BAReFOOt says:

Hey, let him have her. Because: Do you want to be a woman, or be with a woman? (Doing things…)
      See… ^^

• Jharakn says:

Getting grappled by her while she jumps up and down on your golden spear?

UW says:

I call it a “Spear of Darkness”, because of the way I stick it in things, and then it explodes!

8. pupsikaso says:

Hm, not sure if I want to even bother with this now. Having expected the game to have online coop from the start, I was very disappointed by the half-lie. And playing the single player after having just finished the super excellent Blade Kitten, it felt really mediocre and I quit after the first chapter.

9. Max says:

Yay! Except I already got 100% completion playing coop with a friend of mine, so I think we’re a bit Laura’d out.

10. Dominic White says:

Online co-op, essential? Hardly. This is a game that thrives on local play. Shouting and pointing and gesturing wildly and elbowing your buddy in the ribs when they decide to let go of the grappling hook when you’re dangling over a bloody great spike-pit are all key parts of the experience.

• DrGonzo says:

Not all of us are blessed with real life friends who game. But your right, this is so much fun when your sitting next to each other. We were constantly shouting at each other, in a good way. Rarely do I find myself actually discussing the game itself so much in a coop session.

11. CMaster says:

Had a friend up for the weekend recently, so bought this on a whim. Was awesome fun local, and will be really glad to be able to share it over t’internets.
    Went back to do a couple of challenges SP – puzle design is really uninspiring in single player it seems.

12. Spy says:

This game has mouse glitch in PC online coop game mode. Your teammate it his pc can’t see where you point, it show that you always shoot to back :). It is ok if you use gamepad, but if you use keyboard and gamepad then that glitch ruine the game.

UW says:

I must put forward that playing this game locally with a friend next to you is way better if you get the chance. I know sometimes that’s not practical and the online is a necessary feature, but games like this really just work a whole lot better if you’re in the room with someone.

14. kevin says:

At last! I preordered on steam and haven’t even bothered opening the game until now that it has coop.

15. Lukasz says:

Am i the only one missing split screens?

16. iSoLateD1 says:

finally they add co-op, I go online to play, and…. no ones playing? :(

17. nop277 says:

It’s a nice game so far, the controls are a bit tricky at times but I think its just I’m not use to this type of game. I never played a Lara game before, I just remember watching my dad play it long time ago. Anyways I saw the online feature, I can never see any games in it. Is it just dead, or am I just doing something wrong? atm I’m assuming the first, because it doesn’t seem to be that popular of a game, I didn’t hear about it till it went on sale for 7.50 on steam. It still would strike me as odd that there are no games running.

18. Shih Tzu says:

AF Tank Woman for $17? Pffft, I got it on a Steam sale for $4.99. Good if you like the Tank Woman series.