Okay I Have No Idea: New Glitch Video

By Quintin Smith on November 23rd, 2010 at 2:30 pm.

Of course! Use saucery with, uh, undoplasmic... arts... no.

Jim posted about upcoming 2D browser MMOG Glitch at the start of the year. Back then, it all sounded deeply enigmatic. Developers Tiny Speck (a collection of ex-Flickr founders) stated that the game would see you exploring and growing the minds of 11 giants,and would be targeted at “people with above average intelligence and sophisticated tastes, in their 20s or early 30s.”

Now, there’s a video out. A video that doesn’t shed light on the game so much as spray you down with words and images like you’re nothing but a misbehaving dog. There’s also a song. A song which walks you through the game between chimes of “And that’s what this game is!” What is the game, Tiny Speck?! I don’t understand…

Watch the video for yourself below. In all seriousness, it could be the best trailer I’ve seen all month.

Piques your interest, no? Many more details on the official site.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Dominic White says:

It looks like a bizarre hybrid of Maple Story and perhaps.. I dunno, some generic browser game? Maybe Farmville?

I really don’t get a 20s/30s demographic vibe from that trailer. Maybe tweens, but not my age.

• Severian says:

I think it’s because you can make smoothies in the game and everyone knows 20-30 somethings are obsessed with smoothies.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Well, maybe you’re not intelligent or sophisticated enough!

• BAReFOOt says:

I’d call it a social network jump-n-run MMO with lots of crafting. In other words: A GUI for Twitter, with an excuse for micro-payment? :P (I hope I’m wrong.)

• truths33ker says:

” A GUI for Twitter, with an excuse for micro-payment”

this :/

Pretty-much exactly what it looks like to me (with some Little Big Planet swipery thrown in).

You stated it so much more concisely than I could have tho

• ORYLY says:

I’m amazed that they’re advertising the grind. At 0:50, a progress bar takes up the whole screen!

2. The Hammer says:

The official site says:

“This is not something
    you’ve seen before.”

And I’m inclined to agree.

3. Kory says:

That trailer made me feel sick… What was that madness!?

4. dobber says:

do not want! do not want!

5. Lewie Procter says:

It looks like it’s full of all the horrible stuff that social games and MMOs always have, although it’s obviously got a bit of design flair with the menus and flashy stuff all over the place. Presumably it’s a free to play/pay money for pretend stuff game?

6. yhancik says:

Glitch ?

What next, a casual MMO racing game called Circuit Bending ?

(I’m sad the song doesn’t sound more like Bogdan Raczynski)

7. SpinalJack says:

It looks like you take items you find and combine them to create new things or grow new plants or similar and you get favour points from one of the giants which you can spend on upgrades. It sounds like a grind fest and I’m not sure that the rewards will be for doing it other than achievements and sharing stuff with friends. It looks a bit more involved than farmville and that would probably lessen it’s casual appeal… in fact I don’t know where this is targeted at. Will have to play it to find out I guess.

8. The Hammer says:

Actually, having a look at the site, the game seems keen to attract disenfranchised gamers.

Glitch apparently “involves very little war, moats, spaceships, wizards, mafiosos, or people with implausibly large muscles. Also: we have egg plants. Egg plants make it very different.”

As for the payment question…

“Glitch is free to play. Some game items will be purchasable and there will be premium accounts available by subscription. We want to make sure anyone can play the game, and also make it easy for anyone to give us money, should they be so inclined.”

I’d say it doesn’t sound too bad at all; certainly not deserving of scorn quite yet, even if the trailer DID deploy a Glados-alike for the narrator.

• Dominic White says:

Well, if they want my interest, they’re going to have to show some depth to the gameplay beyond making numbers go up. Puzzle Pirates springs to mind as a great ‘casual’ MMO that actually really engages the player by making even the most menial of tasks an involving real-time puzzle game.

9. roBurky says:

All I get from that trailer is it is full of drip fed external rewards and numbers that go up. That does not pique my interest at all.

10. SHDR says:

The first thing I see in that trailer, the preview frame, immediately reminds me of the monster from Watchmen: http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/watchmen-squid-monster.jpg

Strange.

• MadTinkerer says:

As for me, despite the goofy song playing, the giants seemed to resemble Eldritch Abominations From Beyond Time & Space. Also Pokemon. Simultaneously.

Dang it, now I want to play the game.

• Dominic White says:

They are the Noble Circle Of Horrorterrors – the Gods of the Furthest Ring, patron deities of the Dark Dreamers.

Name the reference, win an E-cookie.

• My opinion is terrible and I'm sorry says:

Hey, a fellow Homestuck fan. Let’s be tangle buddies.

11. Lars Westergren says:

That was lovely.

“There is Cosmo-booooooot and Matt!”

12. Fuzzmz says:

After playing some time in the alpha the game is pretty fun and entertaining, even though it at times resorts to grinding in order to complete a quest.

What makes it nice is the quirkiness of the world and the options you have to interact with it (milking butterflies for example) as well as silly quests (the quest itself and the way it is presented to you) like kissing 5 players after eating garlic or drinking 12 beers.

Most of the quests are just ways to introduce you to the mechanics of the game and get you exploring the world.

The community so far is great and the in-game help chat channel is priceless as well as fun.

• maniacyak says:

I got an invitation this weekend and played for a while. I hugged a crab.

It’s interesting, pretty, obviously made with a lot of love, but still rather raw. I’m not sure if it quite knows what it wants to be yet.

• Fuzzmz says:

Yes, but at the same time it evolved in a nice way from the start of the alpha; back then you had no tutorial quests, no idea about what to do in the world and how to approach it. If they manage to keep that up it might end up a nice game to sink some time into from time to time.

13. Jakkar says:

I feel inclined to fix the target audience to read;

“20-30s who consider themselves to be of above average intelligence, and drink red wine because they feel it’s classier than lager, while strenuously avoiding anything that could be considered ‘average’ ‘pedestrian’ or ‘cliche’, only to create another.”

.. leading to a product description of;

“Casual browser MMO designed to fill the time-between-tweets for bored internet hipsters”

Oh dear. I think I’ll stick to Die2Nite, for all that it lacks physical action.

14. Chaz says:

I’m not too keen on the art style, and as a 30 something plus I can’t say that it looks even remotely interesting to me. But then I’m not really into the whole Facebook, Twitter social networking thing, which looks like the sort of group this game is aiming towards.

15. BobDicks says:

I’m only of average intelligence so I’ll just go back to staring at my PC-Idiot Box and slobbering all over my fat dumb stupid self.

16. James says:

That was (I don’t know what to put here).

I signed in just to share that with you all.

17. Corporate Dog says:

That’s not at all like Call of Duty: Black Ops.

18. outoffeelinsobad says:

Remote Herdkeeping. Sounds useful.

19. KillahMate says:

I get the feeling the people who are calling this ‘cookie-cutter’ didn’t really pay attention to the trailer.

Seriously, at the risk of spoiling the joke – look at it. Let’s just say this would be Mr Lovecraft’s favorite MMO.

20. elyscape says:

And that’s what this game is!

21. Arnulf says:

“people with above average intelligence…”
    I think I’m this. Hehe.

… and sophisticated tastes,…
    Hm. Not sure if that applies to me too.

… in their 20s or early 30s.”
    Damn! And here I thought that was a winner. Oh well, next one please!

22. godgoo says:

it’s like if They Might Be Giants and Adult Swim made game trailers

23. Tei says:

In the year 2011 the aliens landed on earth.

The average inteligence of the aliens where 21003 points, the average for humans is 105.

The aliens tried to “play” with the humans (being soo smart, 20/30 years old forever,etc… all wanted was have sex and play games). So created pocket dimensions, items disociations, disloged moebious facts and party animals. The chaos, terror and fascination that erupted destroyed the whole human civilization.

One day, the aliens abandoned the earth,… a lot of alien artifacts where left. The people that hunt these items are called… STALKERS.

But you don’t play here as a stalker, you are a party animal here, originally intended as a in-joke, and a agresive-pasive stance against authority. You play in a pocket dimension modeled after Web 2.0 and Second Life.

24. Not that guy says:

Seeing as the game takes place in the minds of lovecraftian horrors, and the trailer took a turn for the dark at the end, what with the crows, I hope that this game has a horrifying underbelly to it’s farmville sheen. (Not that Farmville doesn’t already have a horrifying underbelly)

25. Nallen says:

…stated that the game would see you exploring and growing the minds of 11 giants,and would be targeted at “people with above average disposable income, in their 20s or early 30s.”

26. soylentrobot says:

…what

that looks awful. All it reminds me of is some Facebook game.

Also, the places look a little simple and idellic for the thoughts of those giant monsters

27. PleasingFungus says:

I do like Lovecraftian monster-giants. Also, numbers going up.

We’ll see how it is, I guess!

28. Flakfizer says:

No. This didn’t pique my interest. Quite the opposite.

More Onionbog please.

29. mwoody says:

This looks atrocious, but so obviously so that I’m led to believe that’s the joke. It shows you doing horribly boring, farmville-y things in a hellish loop, building steadily to a crescendo of disinterest until demon-crows appear and tear the screen apart. I’m hoping that it intends to turn that genre on its ear and sink the happy-looking visuals into some sort of nightmare twist.

Or it could just be another shitty side-scrolling Flash harvest moon wannabe. Who knows.

• Dominic White says:

Apparently the crows turn up in un-maintained areas and ‘hate creativity’ and ‘eat ideas’. It really does sound like a concept straight out of a kids game, not something aimed at intelligent, mature adults.

• Mo says:

As opposed to guns and terrorists and blowing shit up and stuff, which is totally more mature and intelligent?

• Dominic White says:

You’re talking to a guy who just spent two hours playing LittleBigPlanet (which, tangentially, is infinitely more creative-looking than this, and LBP2 is producing some amazing things even in beta).. Ranting at entirely the wrong guy.

• The Hammer says:

Yet still a self-confessed lover of Bayonetta.

Stones and glass houses, Dom.

• Dominic White says:

I… fail to see any kind of point here other than an awkward, labored attempt at an ad-hominem argument.

• The Hammer says:

All I meant is that you’re being unusually dismissive of a game that is open with its target audience, especially when certain other games you’ve voiced approval of have been arguably more immature; kids games with boobs and blood, basically.

I understand that it’s a somewhat provocative statement for a developer to come out and say they’re going after the “above average intelligence” wallet, but the way you’ve been speaking, it’s as if you’re representing 20/30 year olds everywhere, and that this game couldn’t possibly be of worth to your age-peers.

Y’know, it’s an independent dev which doesn’t have the marketing budget or manpower to pump out a meticulously made, highly expensive trailer.

• Dominic White says:

I was just singing the praises of Puzzle Pirates above, which isn’t aimed at ANY demographic, as far as I can see, and while looking like a Playmobil set, is accessible and enjoyable for any and all people.

This is a game clearly marketing itself at a 20-30 year old ‘discerning’ market, but it looks like Farmville meets a slightly awkward looking platformer. They’ve set themselves this particular niche to market to, and certian expectations to live up to. So far, they’re failing pretty miserably.

• Josh W says:

I wondered the same seen as it has a box for learning a skill early in the video that says as it’s text:

“You fool, your not learning anything.”

The thing is, if it does work that way, it’s not a game for me; I can’t be bothered to move through hours of uncreative box ticking just to share a smug ironic nod from the creators about how pointless it is. That’s basically how corporate incentive structures work.

A game about expanding the game itself? That’s interesting, swapping points from one explicit metric to another with no transfer quirks to game, no estimation of divergent systems (like games with aiming and bouncing and stuff), no configuration puzzels with stuff like rotation and swapping, no timing of spatial paths, no understanding ai motivation and redirecting it, or other kinds of physics-equivalent-difficulty problems? That’s not.

Get some better maths people, some better structure.

Now this critique might be totally unfair, the game might not be just a series of variables you top up like slowly evaporating glasses of water with a cutesy veneer, and it might not be an ironic art-game dig at genre conventions. If so I’m just jumping to conclusions in a slightly crazed early morning manner!

• Tei says:

“You fool, your not learning anything.”

Is fun, so is mean to laught. If we are goint to have this type of games, I am pro-fun, fun is some of my favorite stances.

• Josh W says:

Yeah, looking at it with a bit of perspective, I’m being too harsh! Probably due to being pissed off at being overstimulated with videos and coffee too early in my day.

I agree, fun is in general a good thing, something we should have more of even. :)

30. Jake says:

Isn’t the music/funny voices/comedy sound effects at odds with the ‘sophisticated tastes’ part of the mission statement? I mean, the game might be great but the song sets a bit of a CBBC tone.

31. ken says:

I was interested in this game. Now, not so much, and I’m more confused than ever. Fail.

32. Internet Friend says:

I half expected this trailer to segway into ‘particle man’ and be done with it.

I also noticed that someone earned the ‘soil appreciation’ skill. Which is good. Don’t want the dirt to feel undervalued.

33. thesundaybest says:

It looks absurd, and I think games could use a big dose of absurdity. They may have shot themselves in the foot a bit by making the statements about intended audience, but I don’t think we should let that colour the game. Is it aimed t hipsters? Probably – but what part of popular culture isn’t these days? I don’t begrudge them one whit for aiming at popularity. Giving them the benefit of the doubt to see if they do something different (and considering the talent involved I think they will.)

34. A Button says:

Oh good. A game that positively hemorrhages the squishy, shiny web 2.0 artistic design garbage. It even has a song that doesn’t rhyme sung by a husky-voiced woman!

35. Edwood Grant says:

Ok it was a little weird, funny and at the same time “normal”… but what was that with the insane crows ending?…

If there is something that I know is that “Glitch”, means precisely that, that funny little world could be scary with glitches inside I think….

I dunno I feel attracted to it, and afraid at the same time T_T

36. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Awful dressed up in cutesy trappings?

37. Thants says:

The trailer is fun, but it feels like it’s desperately trying to obscure a grindy, micropayment-hell of a game.

38. FarmVille Game Card says:

I was looking forward to this game, but now what I saw it sux, honestly. Just my view of the game.

39. James says:

It seems to be basically Game Neverending that Flickr started out as (no surprise, same team?) in2002, but given a slicker interface.

40. alex dante says:

This looks remarkably like a modern revamp of Lucasart’s Habitat.

41. Redford says:

I have determined that the only way this game could really be interesting to me is if the giants can actually fight, and these fights are a massive cooperative effort by everyone logged onto the two giants at that time.

What are the chances of that actually happening though?

42. elyscape says:

I’m torn about this comment. On the one hand, it’s spam, and I hate spam. On the other hand, Shoes Forking is the most hilarious domain name I’ve seen in a while.

43. K says:

If you cross a shoe with a fork, do you get s a shork?

Comment on this story