Where Is Elder Scrolls V?

By Jim Rossignol on November 23rd, 2010 at 12:08 pm.

We don’t know much, but there are some clues. The most recent of these was bagged by Eurogamer.dk (via VG247) which suggests that the new game is not only in development, but is a direct sequel to Oblivion. An Elder Scrolls game had previously been touted for a reveal at this year’s E3, but did not show. Of course that doesn’t mean it’s not already a long way into development. Bethesda boss Todd Howard has already mentioned that two new games are in the works and we’re going to speculate that one of those has to be an Elder Scrolls game. The big question for many people has been whether the technology would move away from the Gamebryo engine – the recent id acquisition probably wouldn’t have provided time enough to base the game on id tech 5, but we can still dream – and a quote in this interview suggests that it is that familiar engine: “That’s our starting point – the Fallout 3 tech,” said Howard. “The new stuff is an even bigger jump from that.” Perhaps we’ll get something concrete about the release in the new year.

So, engine aside, what would you want from a new Elder Scrolls game?

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Quxxy says:

Less (not more) bugs, crashes, glitches and performance problems.

Tell you what, Bethesda, just re-release Oblivion with all the problems fixed and Stephen Fry as the token famous voice over artist, and I’ll let you call that #V.

• Bluebreaker says:

What an insane suggestion!
      A Bethesda without shipload of bugs never fixed? INSANE!

• Peter says:

Yeah, it just isn’t a Bethesda game if it doesn’t come with enough bonuses.

• NarcoSleepy says:

Playing with bugs is part of the challenge of Bethesda’s games! Every game is Hardcore Frustration Mode.

2. Muddy Water says:

More voice actors. A sense that these “great” cities are actually inhabited. Oh God, I could go on. Somebody else continue…

• Foxfoxfox says:

Capital cities with more than 12 houses/inhabitants please. Please see the Assassins creed series for reference RE building atmospheric populated locales.

And lose the in city load times, someone modded it for oblivion, it is possible.

• Subject 706 says:

Actually making a game that has a soul again, y’know like Morrowind…and oh, lose the level scaling, and for gods sakes, design better/more interesting dungeons. Again, like in Morrowind.

• Kadayi says:

Further to what Foxfoxfox says, maybe Cities that actually feel like they actually evolved, rather than ones that feel like someone said ‘circles make for cool plans’.

• Urthman says:

This would probably be included in my #1 suggestion:

Make it for PCs and then scale it down for the Xbox, not the other way around.

jaheira says:

@Urthman

Yes! You have achieved maximum correctness factor. Unfortunately there isn’t a chance in hell of this happening.

3. Ubernutz says:

Patrick Stewart. That is all.

• Meat Circus says:

If only it were that simple.

• Man Raised By Puffins says:

He was only in the last one for about five minutes. For the rest of the game we got a phoned-in (and I mean long distance, reversed charges, not-giving-a-fuck) performance from Sean Bean.

• Berzee says:

Boromir! I didn’t know Boromir was in this game. I may play it for more than 10 minutes, now I know.

Also, does anyone else feel the need to pronounce “Sean Bean” either as “Seen Been” or “Shawn Bawn”? Quirky pronunciation is all well and good, but that’s too closely juxtaposed for comfort. O_O

• Man Raised By Puffins says:

If it’s simply Sean Bean you’re after, I’d suggest just watching some Sharpe instead. Unless you enjoy listening to him tiredly recite absolute gibberish, obv.

• Berzee says:

HmmmMm. Mayhaps when I am bored and have nothing to watch, I will investigate this Shawn Bawn film!

• noom says:

Patrick Stewart should probably just do all the voices… it couldn’t be worse the Oblivion at least.

• Coillscath says:

@Berzee
      You’re half right. It’s pronounced “shawn been”

4. Tei says:

Engine side? big open areas, realistic faces for npc’s that can talk, walk and have his lifes (in Oblivium you can see how people to go bed to sleep). Stability and modability.
    Gamebryo is a proven tool to create worlds, and deliver all of the above. So a engine like Gamebryo.

Maybe the world building tools are more important than the engine here. If you where in need, I suppose would be possible to modify unreal to make games like oblivium. So maybe the important thing is TES, and not the engine.

5. Mccy_McFlinn says:

More of the same please.

Oh and people to be shocked/disgruntled when I break into their house at night and wake them from their slumber to ask them some inane questions about the town/surrounding area

• NecktieGrins says:

This was always my favouritest part of the Elder Scrolls games.

Hey, wake up. Yeah, it’s 3AM.

Tell me about Balmora.

No, nevermind who I am.

Tell me about Balmora.

Anything you need done?

Oh, okay.

Mind if I take all your shit?

Awesome. Later.

• DJ Phantoon says:

Yes, and have guards stop me when I’m ninja sneaking next to a door, waiting to be invisible. Have them turn around out of suspicion, and enter the home if I left it unlocked to check if everything is alright. Have them be so smart that I hate them, and then play stealth action style correctly. ALSO! A greater sense of immersion would be helped along if you could inspect more things. If there’s a dead body, let me look the damn thing over to find out why (if I didn’t do it) rather than just letting me take the trousers and doing nothing else.

6. Matt says:

Fewer mudcrabs. Why are Bethesda’s beach-dwelling monsters always so annoying? (see also: Mirelurk)

7. sredni says:

The glorious return of A Fool in Morrowind!

8. Xercies says:

Morrowind 2 instead of oblivion 2 please!

• faelnor says:

This!
      And I don’t mind the bugs or rough experience, just bring back a stranger, self-contained, bigger world with tons of weird quests, a PC-adapted GUI and less high elves.

• Pepelusky says:

This.

The open world of morrowind and its visual refernces instead of dots in the map and blue triangles pointing things for you were one of the greatest things i ever saw in general gaming. I really wanted a game that used this kind of design again.

• Michael says:

2nd that.

• MrCraigL says:

This.

I could rant about Morrowind over Oblivion for ages (in fact I did a bit in my big love letter to Morrowind here http://www.gamingdaily.co.uk/2010/morrowind/

• MrCraigL says:

[messed up my commenting, can’t delete this one. Nothing to see here, move along.]

• Xercies says:

@MrCraig

Really great, kind of reminds me of my time with it, though I only had one friend that played it at the time and he didn’t get really far.

As a younger teen I absolutly fell in love with it, while other people get annoyed at the game kind of making you get lost, i enjoyed every encounter I got and just loved exploring the land everywhere i go. At the time i was a really big geeky geek and it really captured my imagination.

9. Quests says:

“Where Is Elder Scrolls V?”

I hope it’s nowhere, after the last one. We don’t need other “immershun” rpgs, we don’t need a game that’s good because players trip out on graphics so they imagine they’re living beautiful adventures when they’re just bashing ugly cloned monsters inside cloned dungeons.

10. Meat Circus says:

With any luck, ON FIRE IN A DITCH.

11. Meat Circus says:

It’s good, I suppose, because it gives Bethesda time to sack their developers, and hire new ones that can create a decent engine, and sack their writers, and hire new ones that can write, and drown their voice “actors” in a well.

• DJ Phantoon says:

You want to drown Patrick Stewart?

I WILL FIGHT YOU, AND I’M NOT EVEN BRITISH.

12. Taverius says:

Well, the good thing about being based on Gamebryo is modding it is well-understood … but it better be daaaaaamn long way away from the tech they used in FO3.

13. Babs says:

At this point I’m not too bothered. Just release Elder Scrolls V and then give the engine to Obsidian for Fallout 4 please.

14. dreamkin says:

I think it’s one of the most overhyped games of this millenium. Still I’d love to play an Elder Scrolls game with a consistent visual style, a setting which actually makes sense, a story which exists and a system which does not make itself meaningless and/or make quests impossible to complete if you have leveled up enough and became stronger… I could go on and on…

But it all equals to NOT making an Elder Scrolls game. The last Elder Scrolls game I enjoyed playing was Daggerfall. And I probably enjoyed that because back then it was unique despite all of its flaws.

15. Rob Hale says:

Good character art!

Oh who am I kidding it’s an Elder Scrolls game. It wouldn’t be the same if the characters didn’t look like they’d fallen out of the ugly tree having hit every branch on the way down.

Rinox says:

Don’t really care much about which engine it uses, as long as the RPG side of things is top notch, like in New Vegas. I’d like to see them return to the character creation system of Daggerfall though, which is almost unrivaled and has been watered down through every installment of TES. If the trend continues, you’ll only be able to pick your name and 3 primary skills in TES V. Which would be…unfortunate. :-/

17. Vadermath says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! For god’s sake, let it not be the old engine! I don’t care how much they improve it, I still hate that unwieldy thing.

18. pimorte says:

I’m pretty sure this is relevant to the article.

(ps where did the CAPCHA go???)

19. Merijn says:

The only thing I want from TES V is the following: DO. NOT. BRING. BACK. CLIFFRACERS.

• BlahBlah says:

I’d like to see one quest, featuring one Cliffracer, that you can make explode in Cliffracer giblets. BAM

Roman K says:

A plot, please.

• Meat Circus says:

A plot, writing, acting and a game would all be lovely additions to Oblivion’s formula, certainly.

• DJ Phantoon says:

Let’s clarify that: Oblivion had writing, but it was like George Lucas vomited onto a notepad with a pen, and an overworked temp had to rewrite all of it in twenty four hours.

• Hematite says:

@DJ Phantoon: The writing was worse than that, it was like George wrote it himself!

21. Gnoupi says:

A story in which we are not some “the one”, or in which at least people are wondering twice before trusting you. I don’t care if they saw me in their dreams, or if “something tells them that they can trust me”.

• Lilliput King says:

Would you accept “There’s something in your eye that tells me you’re trustworthy” (thanks to New Vegas for that one, at least three times)

• bildo says:

I could have sworn all elder scrolls games begin this way :X

22. Hunam says:

Diagonal run animation please.

23. PacifismFailed says:

Mount and Blades combat combined with Morrowinds setting

• bob123 says:

1. An improved Version of M&B combat while we are at it.

2.And an ironman mode making the enemies a real threat,like in Stone soup (no autoleveleling baddies plz).

3.Coop mode! maybe let others play the part of the evil ones (or get some AI worth the name).

• bob124 says:

PS: More weapons! (Gimme back my Daedric Spear!)

• Jamjelly2 says:

Hell yes with that Mount and Blade combat.
      Also, no coop should be considered at all until that singleplayer is completely sold. Completely.

24. Meat Circus says:

Oh, so much Oblivion hatred. I love RPS comments threads.

*group hug*

25. Freeedooom! says:

” what would you want from a new Elder Scrolls game?”

That it’s not crap?

26. Howard says:

What would I want for TES 5? Some fairly simple changes but I doubt they will happen as Bethesda, as with most companies, are very focussed on the console market. But hey I can dream:

– Less “consolised”, kid friendly interface and levelling system; this was the biggest issue with Oblivion and turned it away form being a great RPG IMHO
    – A more vibrant and believable world; Although Morrowind was massively technologically inferior to Oblivion and populated by silent, wooden NPCs that doddered around in very tight circles, I still say it is by far the more atmospheric game. Oblivion’s world just seem empty and devoid of any real or believable life (an issue mostly caused by the simple dearth of NPCs – why was the capitol city a ghost town?)
    – A combat system that makes sense. The woefully underpowered bows and ridiculously simplistic sword play made the entire thing a joke.
    – A magic system that is worth using. If we are gonna have magic, then lets bloody have magic! The magic system has always been a bit of a shambles in the TES games: time to make a change!
    – A world that cannot be traversed in 20 minutes. Being able to walk across a “continent” in under 20 minutes (you really could – I tried) was just ludicrous. Again though this is a limitation of the consoles most likely.
    – A fast travel system that does not turn an already small game into one that can fit in a shoebox. Why they could not have a system whereby you could travel between major settlements by renting a horse or a seat on a carriage but smaller locations had to be reached on foot (or your own horse, ofc) is utterly beyond me.

As I say though, not only will these issues not be addressed they will be made even worse by the ever increasing focus on the 360 as the main platform. The sooner that accursed, worthless box dies the better. I am sick of good games being hobbled by it.

• Guigr says:

Why they allowed fast travel everywhere is because some kids complained about walking in Morrowind.

• Howard says:

@Guigr
      I know. Tragic innit? The exploration aspect of Morrowind was one of its greatest features and the fact that long journeys, even if you had made them previously, had to be planned and thought out was amazing.

As I say, the consoles killed Oblivion.

• sredni says:

The biggest issue with Oblivion was the bloody difficulty of the levelling system. Its almost impossible to keep track of how many levels you’ve gained in each skill and how those levels will affect the number of points you’ll need when you next level up. I had to write it all down. You need to have a pretty detailed plan of how to level your character before you even start, otherwise you will hobble him/her severely by the middle of the game. While it was interesting and provided a bit more variety than your average ‘level up, add 2 points to max health, pick skill upgrade’, it was also a bit like doing maths homework.

• Matt says:

There was fast travel in Daggerfall, you young whippersnappers!

• Howard says:

@sredni
      No. No, no, no! Oblivion’s system was a very simplified version of Morrowind’s. You did not need to monitor all the secondary skills, it was just to your advantage to do so if you wanted to power level. We need MORE intricacy and difficulty in the levelling, not less for god’s sake!

• sredni says:

@Howard

Yeah, I remember Morrowind being even harder. Look, intricacy is all well and good, but the character crippling really annoyed me. I felt it was a little too harsh, but whatever, my main point was that calling it ‘kid-friendly’ seems a bit rich. Plus it hurt my smart-feelings.

• Reid says:

Part of Morrowind’s odd charm was its wooden characters. In that setting, it seemed to make them more alien. Since they were all dark elves, I figured that the the strange, silent stares you got when you went anywhere were cultural. It only broke down for me at the Imperial towns.

I still remember the time I tripped over a fishing village on the northern coast of Morrowind. The sky had been so lousy with rain that day that I couldn’t tell if it was day or night. Little houses on stilts seemed to materialize from sheets of rain. God, was that town a horrible place to live. I found the one bar in town and bought a drink for the Norseman cursed enough to live there.

• Jamjelly2 says:

Fast travelling should definitely be included. That is based on the assumption that Bethesda has the same amount of creativity in its landscape variety. Oblivion’s exploration consisted of walking 2 minutes and finding the same bland featureless cave. whoop-de-fucking-doo.

However, if the environments improve in the slightest, then fast travel should be demolished.

27. CaptainHairy says:

New Elder Scrolls? Hell yes I want another one. Just so long as the Gamebryo engine goes away. Not necessarily just for me, but for Bethesda’s credibility as a company.

Though I would really like to see that goddamn engine die.

EDIT: Having now read the flood of comments that happened while I was typing this, I do kinda want to see some things in particular for a new Elder Scrolls game:

* Cities that are actually cities, not tiny hamlets (compare any Assassin’s Creed city with the Imperial City or New Vegas).
    * A powerful, dangerous magic system. I’d like it if magic was significantly different from other combat options. Pretty much every combat effect except for summoning could be done without magic.
    * Social interactions to make more sense (New Vegas’ huge improvements on stat and perk related conversation options was a decent start, but more needs to be done).
    * If the game area cannot be increased significantly, then decrease the size of the area that it is supposed to represent. Morrowind’s Vvardenfell was a relatively small island off the coast, and it still felt bigger then the whole of Cyrodil.
    * A return to the depth of side quests that Morrowind saw. Oblivion had what, 4 major-esque side quest lines, one for each guild and one for the Brotherhood. Morrowind had something like 18 joinable factions with a quest line for each.
    * Removal of total levelling enemies. Not only does it remove a lot of the fun of exploration, but it also makes for some dumb situations, like bandits all running around clothed in full glass armour late in the game.
    * More in-game literature. The fact that most of the books and such from Morrowind were simply re-used in Oblivion makes sense, but that so little extra was added was a great shame.
    * If they get in a big star actor, and publicise the game around such a feature, KEEP SAID ACTOR’S CHARACTER IN THE GAME FOR MORE THAN 5 GOD-DAMN MINUTES.
    * I’d like Bethesda to lean back on nickel-and-diming for minor content. Horse Armour was really the beginning in this whole DLC debacle.
    * Learning from the modders as to what people want. If a mod gets a lot of downloads, that means people wanted that feature in the game, but Bethesda didn’t include it.
    * Similarly, take whatever fan-made bug fix pack comes out, and with their permission, take it apart and find out what things it fixes and whether they introduce any new bugs, then go ahead and make it an official patch. No excuse for bugged content in a game for which a fix exists.
    * Oh god, there’s probably more, but I’ll stop for now.

• Urthman says:

Elder Scrolls V: Anime Barbie Dress-Up Simulator

• CaptainHairy says:

@Urthman SCREW YOU IF I WANT GIANT RETARDED EYES AND GODDAMN STICK ON WINGS THAT DO NOTHING IN GAME YOU CAN’T JUDGE ME.

Also on my wish list, now that I think of it: Bigger enemies that still make sense to fight. Dragons are a good example of Things I Would Like To Kill.

• Jamjelly2 says:

More people in cities would be awesome. But the more that there are like the large amounts in Assassin’s Creed, the less personality and variety the people will have, which was already a big letdown in oblivion.

28. Langman says:

I love how some people are hilariously trying to imply there was no ‘game’ in Oblivion – I guess the rest of us who poured hundreds of hours into it must have been hallucinating.

• Meat Circus says:

Not really. Gamers pour hundreds of hours into any old shite, so it’s hardly proof of anything.

• Howard says:

Rant all you like, Meat, but Oblivion was a good game. Massively flawed no doubt but there was a huge amount of fun to be had with or without mods. The one and only reason I don’t go back to it more is that I played it too much and there is nothing left to see. I have no regrets buying it or its add-ons at all.

• kaljtgg says:

Saying Oblivion didn’t have game is ridiculous. Game is all it had, it certainly didn’t have voice acting, actual writing or a plot.

• Subject 706 says:

Well sure Oblivion had game. Bland, generic and boring, but still game.

• Pamplemousse says:

My favourite bit was when the leader of the fighters guild came up to me and said:

“Mudcrabs are a real threat, I wont go walking by the riverside alone anymore.” Or words to that effect. The leader of a fighters organisation, scared by some small, fairly apathetic crabs.

Another great bit was when the beggars would ask for coin in their most common of accents, before reverting the the posh female voice that every female seemed to have.

Oh! And that bit when your walking around in somebody’s house, helping yourself to everything not nailed down and the BAM “STOP. YOU HAVE BROKEN THE LAW”.

• Danarchist says:

Arguing with “Angry Internet Men” is like trying to hang christmas lights with a slingshot.

Some guys will never be happy unless a game literally grabs them and pulls them into it’s world in some Tron-esque fashion. And even then they WILL find some minor nibbly thing to complain about for the rest of the existence of the interwebs.
      Interesting article on gamer entitlement:
      I enjoyed oblivion also, and Fallout 3, I so far have hated mount and blade and numerous other “Forum Darlings”. I am well aware if I state this on a forum some other bored IT guy somewhere else in the world will write a 4000 word diatribe on how my opinion is totally wrong or I work for the distributor or something. Just look at the flack RPS took for their fallout: new vegas review.
      Simple rule of the internet: If your opinion differs in any way from the Forum Troll Collective you will be abused and insulted until you leave the site in frustration. It’s allot like chain ganking someone till they log off. It gives griefers a small tingle of joy in their naughty parts.
      Never talk positively about:
      World of Warcraft
      Oblivion
      Fallout <2
      Free to play anything
      games for windows live

29. Pemptus says:

A character progression system that isn’t broken and exploitable, npcs that don’t act like dough-faced mannequins, a unique world that doesn’t consist of copy pasted terrain, enemies that don’t level with you.

That would be fine for a start.

30. Simon Jones says:

Surely the main question isn’t what engine they’re going to be using, but whether they’re going to bother hiring actual writers?

31. Nallen says:

RAAAAAAGE

As in the Rage engine. Ta.

Oh, engine aside. Um, dragons? Decent melee? More awesome Dark Brotherhood?

I’m not very creative and shouldn’t work in game design.

• Meat Circus says:

If you worked for Bethesda, I think you’d be burned as a witch. What is this “decent melee” of which you speak?

• Subject 706 says:

“I’m not very creative and shouldn’t work in game design.”

That’s what all the Oblivion game designers said.

32. Meat Circus says:

Alternate questions for this post’s title:

* “is there anyone who actually gives a shit about a sequel to Oblivion?”
    * “is there any PC gamer who actually *liked* Oblivion un-modded”?
    * “Would you rather hack off your own genitals with a rusty cut-throat razor or play another game on the Gamebryo engine?”

• Jonathan says:

Yes, hello, and no.

Those questions are not as interesting as the post title. Next!

• Terraval says:

Yes, hello and no but would much rather see Rage.

Oblivion was a great game, so was Morrowind, and they were different in many fundamental aspects. End of cocking story, can we all now move on and agree bethesda are rather bloody good?

• Pony Canyon says:

I’ll play the Gamebryo game.

Oblivion was decent and of course modding made it much better. Sure, it had plenty of failings and no its not the greatest game of all time.

People love to resort to extremism when it comes to games criticism. It’s always either the best or worst game of all time.

• strange headache says:

Meat Circus, did Oblivion once steal your Ninja Turtles lunch-box or something?

• Hidden_7 says:

Bethesda games have been milestones in my gaming life for years, so yes, very much so I care about the sequel to Oblivion.

Oblivion being released around exam period failed me a final (I probably wouldn’t have passed anyway, Biological Psychology wasn’t my strong suit, but Oblivion certainly didn’t help when it came time for studying), so yes I very much liked it unmodded. Mods improved it, certainly, but I’d be more than willing to dive back in for an unmodded playthrough.

And yeah, Gamebryo isn’t the best, but it does do a bunch of things well (aforementioned mods), I don’t really mind it. I’m rather cheerfully playing through New Vegas right now.

33. BarerRudeROC says:

What I want?

SKOOOOOOOOMAAAA

Schaulustiger says:

Just make it heavily moddable and rely on the community to shape it into a game.

35. LynchBeard says:

Fallout 3 without guns.

36. Kantorai says:

I want to swim in the Black Marshes unaccosted by mudcrabs of fish (once I have reached lvl 5 and/or found a reasonable long stick). Otherwise I agree with Quxxy in the first post: less (not more) bugs on release. Not keen to revisit Cyrodiil again.

37. zergrush says:

It shouldn’t need a shitload of mods to become playable / fun.

• roryok says:

hear hear.

Three ideas for TES-V:
      – Triple the number of people in cities and make them look lived in – less like theme park gift shops
      – bring back daggerfalls random dungeons
      – Hire (or at least involve) the teams and individuals behind the best mods for oblivion, give them a say in what gets added.

38. Handsome Dead says:

Maybe exploring the planes of daedric planes of oblivion. A game of 5 or so mini morrowinds.

harvb says:

I’d love a return to the sandbox and wide-open spaces of Daggerfall, the freedom to choose and to just exist.

I’d also like more of the random twists. How cool was it that, firstly, you could become a vampire, and then later you would get approached by a small vampire child who offered you a chance to join a vampire clan.

Forget the shoe-horning of Oblivion or the scaling combat so that there were no instagib fights – that’s half the point of becoming supertough. Also allow us to get our own place and quest and crusade from it. A Mass Effect style team choosing affair with a base.

Forget the big name actors, CGI cut-scenes and console related gibberish.

I can’t wait to see what they do for it, but can’t but expect it to be an awful console hash.

AndrewC says:

I would like there to be a questline where the Mages’ Guild has been split into two factions. The first, traditionalist, faction wants magic to remain as arkane, obscure and difficult as possible and always complain about the second faction, which has tried to make magic as fun and accessible as possible.

In the quest line, The first faction dies and dies and dies and dies.

AndrewC says:

Until the final mission, that is, where it is revealed that, yes, the incredibly complex and awkward system of magic the first faction uses does, eventually, yield far more powerful results than the shallow second faction’s magic but it’s just that it took until the very last mission for it to be ready.

In order to prove themselves right, the first faction choose to use their magic to destroy the entire world rather than have the second faction in it. They destroy the entire world.

• Erunion says:

You are asking for actual player freedom and plot.

You ask for far too much.

• Dervish says:

@AndrewC
      I see what you did there. Funny, but you have bad taste.

• DJ Phantoon says:

I thought it was appropriate. And in merely poor taste, not bad taste.

41. toni says:

I’d like Bethesda to step back, reiterate and take in all the help they can get from Carmack & Co. because after Oblivion/FO3/NV we all can see that they can’t release a quality engine – far from it – and are not even remotely possible to fix all mistakes properly for the next release – NewVegas is the same buggy mess FO3 was. Not to speak of their broken scripting making the game either crash or sometimes renders Quests unsolvable – that’s ontop of the technical problems I might add….

other than that if it’s more like ElderScrolls and NOT like Oblivion – I’m in.

42. riadsala says:

What I would like to see:

The passage of time.

In Oblivion, everything happened to your schedule. The words is ending you say? Gates to hell opening outside a town? Never mind, I want to become head of the mages guild first. And the fighters guild. and the assassins guild. etc.

Why not take some inspiration from

a) Dead Rising.
    b) Sid Meier’s Pirates!

So, while you can join every guild if you want, you probably won’t have enough time to become head of them all. As your character will age. And at some point, you might want to retire and live happily ever after in that castle you acquired. Add in a High Score table, and you’ll have a really nice re-playable game. In each game you have to make real choices, and you can see how they pan out.

This might also provide a way of tackling the daft difficulty/levelling scaling. If you chose to igore the main quest for years while you do sidequests, then the evil bad guy is going to carry on with his plan for world domination, and you’ll have to live with the effects. And the longer you allow him to carry on, the harder it’s going to be defeat him later in the game.

• SanguineAngel says:

Hell yes. In fact I do think most RPGs do the same and shouldn’t. So well said and a heart agreement.

Colthor says:

They should get rid of any pretense at a plot or main quest, and let us just get on with the interesting exploring, looting and picking flowers without pestering us about Kvatch.

If they want some sort of background then don’t have it as a linear series of quests that don’t kick off until your character gets to Plotville. They’re a tedious waste of time. Maybe have a war between two states, with strategic AI controlling the armies. Don’t force the player to join in or pick a side, let them do what they want – if that’s picking flowers or watching as the AIs fight the war by themselves, then so be it.
    Somewhere between the Goblin wars in Oblivion, and Space Rangers 2, maybe.

And yes, I enjoyed Oblivion unmodded. A lot.

• riadsala says:

“Maybe have a war between two states, with strategic AI controlling the armies. ”

I had that idea a while ago. It would make for a brilliant game if done well…. implement some sort of Civ like metagame. Then all sorts of quests can be generated as the meta-game progresses…. you could chose to work for home country and sign on as a mercenary. Or you could become a spy, and try and sneak into an enemy city and open the city gates before an attack. etc etc etc.

• disperse says:

@Colthor

Yes, this! When the developer is pouring resources into making predefined quests they are, by nature, ignoring the things that actually matter in an open-world game: interesting locations to explore, fun things to do. Also, if you aren’t afraid of ‘breaking’ a scripted quest you can allow unexpected things to happen. The player failed to close that Oblivion gate in time? Whoops, now Anvil is overrun by demons.

44. foodstamp says:

I want a decent character modeler on staff, and someone to give a crap about animations. Their games look pretty good in the screenshots. In motion… yikes. That third person camera really shouldn’t be used.

45. Ian says:

Wait, Meat Circus didn’t like Oblivion? Sheesh. Could’ve told us.

46. Aska says:

New TES game:

* Towns of Assassin’s Creed proportion and feeling of ‘life’.

* More quests and themed areas, not three dungeon types rehashed over and over again without any atmosphere in them except a ‘cool trap system’ which is entirely predictable.

* NO LEVEL-MATCHED mobs/dungeons, NO LEVEL-MATCHED CRAP LOOT FROM DUNGEONS.

Seriously, the level-matching of all mobs/rewards/dungeons was the single most game-breaking part of Oblivion, and that was what made me throw my copy away (console, so no nifty mod-hacks to fix those parts…).

Bandits with glass armour attacking me on the map? Seriously?
    Where did all the rats go? They spontaneously evolved into bears?

Oh, and the rubber banding, my horse actually climbed a vertical city wall, then snapped and flew away far far away. While hilarious, also completely game breaking.

47. pakoito says:

It’s my most anticipated game ever.

* Less bugs.
    * Gameplay balance. (* NO LEVEL-MATCHED mobs/dungeons, NO LEVEL-MATCHED CRAP LOOT FROM DUNGEONS.) <- That
    * Minigames á là GTA: milking cows, jousts, sheep herding?
    * More better "life" simulation for both you and the NPCs: marriages, buy/sell every house, start a business, craft stuff…allow me go all about "The Sims Medieval" if I feel like it.
    * If not armies, at least parties with non scripted smart AIs.
    * Make the world more dynamic with more real time events. Even though it was covered in Oblivion most of them felt heavily scripted.

Bethesda has now a lot of references on what to do and what to improve thanks to GTA, Minecraft, Fable, Guild Wars 2, Mount & Blade and others.

• SanguineAngel says:

Minecraft would be a very good thing for them to look at. As a world simulator it is unparalleled and they really should aim for the stars here.

• Jah says:

Saddles for pigs?

For one, the social interactions just have to be improved. No more talking heads and time-freezing everytime an NPC wants to have a chat. You could do this with a lock-on system similar to Peter Jackson’s King Kong, added with a reply menu. This could be a useful feature for consoles if extended to locking on to foes, on a given distance, whether you wanted to engage or speak to them.

• pakoito says:

I was just playing Outcast and you can be stopped mid-conversation by attacking enemy forces and then hell you have to run.

That game is alive.

• Peter says:

Oh, Jah’s comment on time freezing during conversations reminds me of how pointlessly broken Charm spells are in Oblivion. Why did they even put long duration Charm effects in there?

48. SanguineAngel says:

Things I would like to see in Elder Scrolls V can almost all be seen in mods for Oblvivion. They really ought to look there for a large amount of inspiration. What would primarily interest me:

– A more believable living world – trade caravans, affectable economy perhaps even dynamic social structure.

– Realism options. There was some effort made in New Vegas (i know, different developer) but there is still a long long way to go. And yet, again, the modders did a perfect job of it. I’d like to see an optional realism mode, or a Hard Difficulty that includes realism options would be great.

– A big bugbear for me was the way they handled quests. I’d like to still see a massive range of quests but what I would REALLY like to see is quests interacting with each other. Decisions that the player makes in one area havign an effect elsewhere, cutting off routes and opening new ones. Given the nature of the game, I’d also love to see these side quest effecting the nature of the Main Quest. And lastly, I’d love to see these side quests expanded further – becoming entire stories in their own right. I’d settle for less side quests and a few long storylines.

In fact, my big issue with Oblivion was the way none of the independant elements of the game world interacted with each other convincingly or at all. Given that the entire game was intended as a sandbox experience, I would expect the world to react as a whole to my actions and it never did. I would like that to change for ESV really. I very quickly got bored of Oblivion simply because nothing I did seemed to matter at all. There was so much potential that it was painful. It was only when the modding community really got fired up that the possabilities were realised. But it was not ideal – most mods are in some incompatible. It would be far better, naturally, if the game was feature rich and exciting on release.

Hodge says:

I don’t want an Elder Scrolls V. I’d rather be completely blown away by something incredible and new from a developer I’ve never heard of… rather than see yet another incremental installment to a tired franchise that hit its peak over a decade ago.

And yet, when it inevitably is released, I’ll almost certainly buy the thing the day it comes out. *sigh*. I get what I deserve.

• Face says:

Yeah, we’re in trouble here, waiting for Bethesda to rediscover the things they used to know. They’re not an ambitious young developer anymore – they’re at that ‘height of empire’ stage, where now that they’ve attained power and money, their overriding priority has become to A) keep what they have while B) making even more. Watch for even more emphasis on the main quest, an even more generic fantasy world, and an introduction and epilogue narrated by Ian McKellan.

The next Morrowind will not be made by Bethesda.

• Face says:

Oblivion sold so well that the corporate side of Bethesda will not allow major changes to its formula (that’s why they’re making “Oblivion 2″, rather than TES 5), and they’ll be perfectly right to do so from a sales perspective, because this game will sell mega-millions no matter what they do. The auto-leveling problem will be slightly tweaked and the developers will talk in carefully modulated “enthusiastic” language about how they’ve responded to complaints from the fans while still retaining the “accessibility” of the old system and they think everybody will be really pleased with the result. Developers who don’t talk in carefully modulated “enthusiastic” language either no longer work at Bethesda or are longer allowed near the press.

For Oblivion 4 the preview buzzwords will be innovation, new leveling system, new facial technology, etc.

50. Zogtee says:

- Actual art direction. Consistent and inspired.

– Quality character models, including animation and textures that doesn’t make you cry.

– More voice actors or none at all. Either get more voice actors or save your money and just fall back on text.

Most of all I want to see inspiration. Don’t just do another game, because it’s expected of you, do it because you really want to and have shitloads of cool ideas.

• roryok says:

Actually yeah… I doubt they ever would fall back on text, but I’d be cool with that. imagine how much more content they could fit if they didn’t have to fill a dual layer DVD with digitised speech.

And as for the content itself, proceduralise the whole lot. I want procedural NPCs, quests, dungeons and towns.