Where Is Elder Scrolls V?

By Jim Rossignol on November 23rd, 2010 at 12:08 pm.

We don’t know much, but there are some clues. The most recent of these was bagged by Eurogamer.dk (via VG247) which suggests that the new game is not only in development, but is a direct sequel to Oblivion. An Elder Scrolls game had previously been touted for a reveal at this year’s E3, but did not show. Of course that doesn’t mean it’s not already a long way into development. Bethesda boss Todd Howard has already mentioned that two new games are in the works and we’re going to speculate that one of those has to be an Elder Scrolls game. The big question for many people has been whether the technology would move away from the Gamebryo engine – the recent id acquisition probably wouldn’t have provided time enough to base the game on id tech 5, but we can still dream – and a quote in this interview suggests that it is that familiar engine: “That’s our starting point – the Fallout 3 tech,” said Howard. “The new stuff is an even bigger jump from that.” Perhaps we’ll get something concrete about the release in the new year.

So, engine aside, what would you want from a new Elder Scrolls game?

, , , .

1. Alexander Norris says:

Writing that doesn’t suck.

In fact, here’s the deal: don’t let Bethesda make ES5 on their own. Let id handle the tech and the gameplay, Obsidian do all the writing, and Bethesda do the mapping/creating-a-sense-of-place. The game would probably end up pretty good.

• Stick says:

Who does the QA? (Valve? Blizzard? I dunno who’s the Poster Dev for QA, really, but those are the ones that came to mind.)

I mean, id aren’t exactly slobs in that department, but with Obsidian in the picture, I just want to make *absolutely* sure.

2. devlocke says:

I am probably really weird, but I’d like to see TES go back to its roots and get bigger. I didn’t really get anywhere in Arena, so I dunno if I would still feel this way if I had, but I think Daggerfall was the sweet spot in the series. I loved Morrowind, and it’s the only TES game I’ve actually finished, but I was kind of disappointed by how small it was, compared to Daggerfall or Arena.

The series started out with this massive (presumably procedurally generated?) world, and each incarnation has made it smaller and smaller. I know that most of the NPCs in the first two games were less individual than the NPCs in Oblivion, but they were still pretty damn cookie-cutter in Oblivion, and there were way fewer of them and a they were in a much smaller area. I don’t feel like the trade-off between smaller worlds and more personalized worlds has been a net gain. I’d like to see a return to playing in a whole continent, with different native races and different scenery.

TES has gone from a continent to a region to a nation to… a smaller nation, I guess. Oblivion was alright, and my PC kinda blew when it came out, so I’ll probably pick it up this holiday season if it goes on super-sale and try to actually finish it this time. I haven’t ever hated a TES game, and Oblivion was probably technically more fun than Arena. But it was way less interesting, and I’d rather have a game that’s crazy huge and intriguing as fuck.

Games that are small but dense have their place, but that’s not the place I’d like to see the next TES game. We already have games that are doing that, and doing it better than Oblivion did. What differentiated the series, and made it way more interesting than a lot of other series, was its scale. And the scale has gotten smaller with each entry. I’d like to see that trend reversed.

3. the_fanciest_of_pants says:

Idtech 5 in a TES game is pretty unlikely. lots of baked lighting so a day/night cycle would be impossible.

Really though bethesda needs to put someone who can model and animate worth a damn in the lead character artist role.

The gimp they’ve had since morrowind is awful, just horrendously awful. I’m sure most people can see this, and it’s made painfully apparent mere weeks after a new Gamebryo engine game comes out and is modded.

Seriously this is a AAA (or is supposed to be) game developer and their character art is plain not up to snuff.

It’ll never happen though, because the bloke is Todd Howard’s old highschool chum.

4. Out Reach says:

Nondrick Mode.

5. 360Urban says:

I still enjoy playing Oblivion, despite completing it for the first time almost 2 years ago now. I play on the 360, and tech-wise, there are some major hiccups with both mechanics, the archery system in particular was terrible, and the most recurring problem I had graphics wise were textures and objects like tree and shrubs popping into the frame abruptly. Speaking of archery, why is it that you cannot be shot in the head with an arrow in Oblivion? For some weird reason, if you shoot an enemy in the head or receive an arrow to the noggin yourself, it doesn’t show :-S.

Probably the biggest pitfall though, is the lackluster and boring main quest. I’ve only ever completed it once, and afterward the only quest that I enjoyed throughout the story was the battle for Bruma, an event that should have blown the minds of gamers with its scale and intensity, but was actually a laughable affair that could beat with the bare minimum of allies at level 15. And that was the best thing.

One last thing: get rid of the cursed tutorial, or at least put in the option to skip in like New Vegas. Anytime I want to experiment with different classes or races, I have to trudge though that gloomy-as-shit sewer every time.

P.S. Did anyone else hate that stupid Dunmer in the cell across at the beginning? DB=awesome

• pakoito says:

The last 2 times I’ve installed oblivion (I do it once a year, load it with thousands of mods and then quit after being bugged the crap out) I’ve spent more time in the first quest than ingame. I can do it almost in speedrun fashion.

• Nallen says:

Save game at the sewer gate.

Come on guys everyone’s doing it.

• pakoito says:

You cant savegame when you’re using and changing tons of mods because the game will break every time you activate or deactivate one.

• Urthman says:

Alternate start mod:

Arrive by ship, generate your character, answer a few questions about your character to get some starting gear, and immediately step into the outside world.

6. Kurt Lennon says:

I hope it’s so clunky and buggy that it disgusts me, like every other Bethesda game.

Just make sure it runs like utter shit, Bethesda. I know you won’t let me down.

7. brian meibaum says:

Don’t change me into a vampire in the middle of a quest and make me spend the next few game sessions on a scavenger hunt to become normal again. 5 Grand soul gems?!

Make melee combat more fun and effective. Magic was the only way to go in Oblivion.

The whole Soul Gem system of charging magic items…get rid of it.

8. Gary W says:

For Elder Scrolls V, I want:

a graphics engine by John Carmack,
    gameplay mechanics by Shinji Mikami,
    dungeon design by Arkane Studios,
    and writing and dialogue by Obsidian.

Let Bethesda do what they’re best at:

marketing and PR (and “radiant” AI).

9. Thelonious says:

I want to see the return of Michael Kirkbride to the creative team and more of his loopy worldbuilding genius. Very disappointed by Oblivion’s lack of hermaphroditic demigods or armour made from insects.

10. Hippo says:

Just don’t make it an MMO, and I’ll (probably) be happy.

More elaborate answer: Fallout: New Vegas is Bethesda’s best game since Morrowind (no doubt because it is an almost perfect marriage of their own tradition and the type of game that Obsidian is known for). I hope they borrow everything they can from that.

11. Taillefer says:

More Mad God, less …bad dog.
    ?

12. Freeid says:

No more level scaling dungeons, totally took the pleasue out of dungeon delving for me, you instantly new what kind of creatures and what kind of items you were going to find in there.

13. Dood says:

Characters that don’t stare at you throughout conversations whithout looking away or blinking.

14. K says:

Less combat, which is more meaningful instead. As difficult as Stonesoup, but without the “hilarity” of Oblivion Combat (running away like a maniac while waiving around a magical stick). Not as easily breakable economy and magic systems which have some depth. Interesting dialogue and NPCs that are important for more than five minutes. More than two voice actors, or less voices conversations.

And most important of all:
    A UI designed for the PC, not some Fallout3 abomination.

15. CitizenMac says:

Aside from the obvious (better writing, better quest and story design, better world design – am I just wishing for the Moon, here?), I’d like to see an option to keep the world persistent for all the characters you create. So, for example, my main char could go off and save the world or defend all the squirrels in the forest or whatever, while another character of mine becomes head of the Thieves’ Guild, and another buys a house and grows crops, and maybe hears stories about the mighty squirrel-defender or the devious new head of the Thieves’ Guild who totally stole all the ladies’ underwear on his way to the top. Not with any online implementation, mind you, keeping it strictly single-player. And of course, keep it optional, for anyone who just wants to go through the game again with a different character.

Of course, knowing nothing about coding etc. I don’t even know if such a thing is possible without releasing all sorts of little game-breaking demonic pixies. But it’d be nice.

16. Gothnak says:

Better combat, not just madly pressing LMB to swing a sword until your enemy dies or you drink some potions…

Characters who don’t all sound permanently depressed.

The characters to look as nice as the landscapes.

17. terry says:

A new engine, really. Gamebryo was creaking when it was released and frankly now it’s geriatric.

• skinlo says:

I disagee there, Oblivion was one of the better looking games when it came out.

• terry says:

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I was as impressed as hell with Oblivion’s visuals the moment I left the sewer, and with mods it’s still a genuinely beautiful experience these days. I mean simply that the engine doesn’t best support the sprawling complexity of these games anymore. When I played Fallout NV lately it infuriated me that my damn NPC companions still couldn’t jump tiny fences (or at all, as far as I can tell) and immediately charged around like lunatics around any obstacle. It looks terrible when NPCs pop out of the sky upon entering a scene, it drives me bananas to see the twitching ragdolls and the physics “unlocking” and a myriad of other really jarring faults. That’s not to say there hasn’t been improvements, but I’m starting to think that while implementing a number of hacks to get something that works 90% of the time was acceptable in 2006, it’s not so much anymore.

18. groovychainsaw says:

A procedurally generated world. Seriously. Forget a main plotline (as writing, acting and actual missions were all pretty unexciting in Oblivion), give me proper exploration wrapped up in some good RPG mechanics. Exploration was one of the best things in Oblivion. Once I ‘d banned myself from fast-travelling I stumbled across far more stuff. Keep it interesting and don’t let the ‘dungeons’ get repetitive (traps were good too). Think mountain pass villages, desert nomad traders, mysterious castles with no inhabitants. Make it the same size as daggerfall, which is still my favourite Elder Scrolls game (just). Learn from the ideas behind minecraft/dwarf fortress.

(This will not happen, but I can dream, can’t I? I suspect the world/quests will be basically oblivion 1.5, and I’ll still put in a couple of hundred hours across various char builds)

Also, obviously, get rid of the auto-levelling of loot/opponents. I’m actually pretty sure you will do this, as new vegas seems to have done this to great effect (Deathclaws are B^&*^&d hard if you comes across them early, and I assume they don’t scale up with you?). And part of the excitement of exploring in an RPG is coming across a tough area or a high-level bit of loot. Its fun to run away sometimes :-).

As for the NPCs, I don’t expect much improvement, as I think they are genuinely hard to do and I wouldn’t want the compute power wasted on them. Thinking back to the ‘radiant AI’, sure it was flawed, but it was still trying to achieve more than NPCs in most games do nowadays. Although it is responsible for cities feeling like they’re recovering from the black death. But they are still more interesting and RPG-y than the ants crawling around assassin’s creed. Waiting for people to leave their homes so I could rob them was genuinely interesting, and more of that sort of element would really set their game apart. If they could achieve both decent AI and large numbers of them too, fair play, but I suspect that would require more power than they have available (even if they were writing only for the top 1% of PCs).

I could ramble for ages, but I’ll stop here. I expect Oblivion 1.5 with little innovation over the previous installment. I’ll be happy with that, albeit a little disappointed. Let’s see what happens….

• roryok says:

a lot of people on here saying they want procedural content.

I doubt Bethesda will go for it, but the day a dev does develop a good looking procedurally generated RPG is the day they’ll get rich.

19. skinlo says:

At the time, I remember Oblivion looking really good, one of the best looking games out there. However, it almost seems that the engine hasn’t been changed since 2005, so hopefully they’ll come out with a comepltly new version of it, or the new ID tech.

I don’t quite get the hate for Oblivion, I think its rose tinter glasses syndrome. I much prefered Oblivion for the fact that you could travel to the other side of the map quickly, not all of us want to spend 2 hours actually trying to find a well or something.

20. NintendoNinja says:

A more stable savegame platform! Don’t know how many time my saves corrupted! Damn Oblivion & Fallout >_<

21. Fujisawa says:

What I want: more populous and sprawling cities, mounted combat, some skill based melee combat along the model of the old classic “Severance:Blade of Darkness”, greater variety of wildlife to hunt, seasonal herbs and plants that replenish over time for the alchemy and keep the free range skills development; being able to define your own class based on improving the skills you actually use through your in game through use is definitely the way forward.

Oh and give us co-op play – my biggest gripe about oblivion (as with stalker) was that the joy of exploring a large immersive environment was always tempered with a certain lonliness, I wanted to be sharing the joy of exploring new lands with my chums.

• skinlo says:

I disagree about the co-op bit, that one of the reasons why I like Elderscroll games and things like Minecraft so much, it allows you to play the game the way you want to play it, not the way other people want you to play it.

• SanguineAngel says:

I also disagree on the co-op I’m afraid. I do know what you mean about the lonliness but I can’t help but think that this could be better tempered by great character writing, imaginitive story-telling and a genuinely dynamic game-world (IE each independant aspect of the world affecting the others.

• irongamer says:

@skinlo and @SanguineAngel

Co-op would be an option and not required. Done right it would not mess with the story. Experiences are always more fun when shared with a friend.

22. Casimir's Blake says:

Bethesda:

Fire your animators, art directors, writers, voice actors. Hire new ones. Don’t take iD’s advice on this, either.

Make a dungeon crawler. As in proper Ultima-crawling. iD DID do a fairly good job of this with their mobile Doom RPGs.

NO QUEST ARROWS. ANYWHERE. Fallout 3 makes you feel like you’re being led by the nose all the time. Keep a quest journal for me, that’s handy thanks. Heck, I appreciate a mark on a map, too. Let me find my way somewhere, and enjoy the sense of discovery an RPG should provide. Don’t dumb down.

Don’t consolify. Don’t dumb down. Please?

(Other people have spent precious time in this thread being more specific, so I’ll finish by saying: I like dungeon crawling. I don’t much enjoy trudging around an overworld, it’s something that I can take or leave. Dungeons in Daggerfall and Morrowind were good but still didn’t quite have the claustrophobia, depth or sense of discovery as Ultima Underworld.)

• SanguineAngel says:

I reckon some difficulty levels would be the way to go here. Easy would include the sort of nose leading that a lot of games are coming to use exclusively. Medium would ditch the nose leading, perhaps ramp up combat and introduce some realism tweaks perhaps. Hard would be all out tough no compass, fatigue and figuring things out yourself sort of affair.

Don’t really understand why developers insist on creating a game and then telling you exactly what to do every step of the way instead of letting you figure it out yourself.

23. Schadenfreude says:

More nuclear sheep!

24. adonf says:

Top-down, ASCII-based view with turn-by-turn movement.

Oh, and an Ipad-only release.

25. Peter says:

Short of a new engine, i’d most like to see, in no particular order: this is a long wish-list…

-magic spells with new geometries and delivery vectors, such as cones, rings, seeking missiles, etc
    -alchemical crafting of grenades/bombs/mines
    -elemental effects that are meaningful and interesting, maybe like a slow or freeze effect on frost, stun and chain effects on lightning, light and a chance to ignite enemies/torches/everything with fire (without DOT pre-specified)
    -sustained magic effects that can be toggled on/off instead of cast for a fixed duration
    -alteration spells to repair armor/weapons, or to aid their repair indirectly
    -get rid of the spell effects that serve no purpose but to annoy the player character: burden is worthless against NPCs, but could be more useful if NPCs carried some balast; attribute and skill damage spells make almost no difference to an NPC’s fighting ability, but cause the player to have to find a way to heal the damage
    -just in general, debuffs should be a more important part of combat, as it is, it’s almost always easier to just kill an enemy with DPS than to soften them or hinder them with debuffs during the battle (a few debuffs might be useful, like the chain trick with weakness to magicka)
    -rethink armor: fallout NV is doing better, with a damage threshold, but what I’d like is a damage threshold on heavy armor, and a %damage reduction on light and heavy armor, but with cheap light armor very fragile…it can save your life from a couple of good blows, but will be in tatters shortly in a large melee
    -the difference between blunt and bladed weapons should be more than cosmetic: actually, oblivion pretty much made blunt weapons all around worse than bladed, but maybe maces could have advantages against heavy armor, and be very durable, while swords are deadlier against bare flesh, with axes somewhere in between
    -spears and pikes could be fun
    -player spell-crafting/enchanting that lets us craft the same sorts of enchantments and spells that we can find pre-crafted: at least, the bounds for duration/damage/etc should be 0-inf, not 1-100, and enchanted items should be able to have a variety of effects, not just a single effect: Morrowind did these things so much better than oblivion
    -a feather enchantment should reduce the weight of the item, not just increase the player’s carrying capacity: fort strength already does that
    -i would like some open-ended goals, that I can always pursue further because I feel like it, rather than because someone is telling me to. Enchantment crafting provided this in morrowind, plus there seemed to be interesting things hidden potentially anywhere in morrowind, so thorough exploration paid off. The ability to recruit followers, give them assignments, send them on quests, might help…at least the favors wouldn’t all go one way, maybe. Maybe building and improving a stronghold/village or something
    -i shouldn’t have to strategize my skill ups to maximize my level ups–I always be happy to level up, I shouldn’t wince when it happens too soon, and I end up with bonuses to the wrong attributes (or worse, low bonuses because I only raised a variety of skills a point or two each): there are several ways to fix this

• SanguineAngel says:

I like your list, especially the armour, weapons and open-ended goals points.

What this guy said.

Oh heck there is SO MUCH potential for the ES games. As evidenced by so many great ideas here. I’d really really like to see them cash in on that.

26. DarkFenix says:

So, another game that will be released a buggy mess, will only ever be any good when modded to the eyeballs and will plunge screaming down into the deepest depths of the uncanny valley again. Yay… I think.

27. Joshua says:

Have the story, not the exploration, be the focus of the game. And more interesting role playing.

Exploration is good, but having only slightly silly things to do while doeing so gets boring after a short while.

28. Frosty says:

Get Bioware, Obsidian, CD Projekt and Valve to clobber together and make it for you.

On a more serious note as much as I bitched and moaned about Oblivion I still sunk hours and hours into it. The Shivering Isles showed that Bethesda hasn’t lost it’s quirky side either so if they just bring that back it’d all be good.

29. bleeters says:

“They say Elder Scrolls V is in development”
    “Not a bad game, if you have the stones for it”
    “That’s what I heard”
    “Good day”

• Fwiffo says:

I hear procedural generation worship has become more common in the RPS isles.

• jarvoll says:

“If you’re looking for an adventure game review, I hear John Walker at RPS is the best place to look.”

“Bye.”

“See you.”

• Nick says:

Oh, yes. STOP RECORDING THE SAME AMBIENT DIALOGUE LINES WITH DIFFERENT VOICE ACTORS. Seriously, write small variations for each voice actor, having two people same exactly the same damn line is so utterly dreadful it makes me rage, let alone every single bloody character.

30. perilisk says:

* Better writing, and a speechcraft system that isn’t as asinine as Oblivion’s or tedious as Morrowind’s. FO3 or FONV style is acceptable.

* A leveling system that you don’t have to “game”. They should just make attributes level up separately from skills altogether, and secondary stats should be based on attributes rather than level.

* Find a way to discouraging boosting skills through grinding (or rather, make it easier to boost them by actually applying them where they’re needed.). Acrobatics should be a little more useful/less boring in general (maybe expand it to include climbing, expand athletics to include parkour).

* A world that sort of attempts to make sense. Like, where every fort isn’t ruined, every mine isn’t occupied by monsters, and the number of farms seems roughly appropriate for the number of cities.

* Cohesive vision. For the most part, FONV tries to tie its factions and areas together into the main plot and to each other. In contrast, none of the main guilds seem to give a damn about the Oblivion crisis, despite it being sort of an apocalyptic thing. There’s no sense that as gates open, people are mobilizing their resources for war, becoming mistrustful, suffering materially from traders being attacked by daedra. It’s just some random dungeons for you to do.

* Characters that are memorable for something other than being annoying as shit.

* Some sort of meaningful choices in quests. Would also help if there was more than one morally justifiable decision rather than The Good Choice and Teh Evul Choice.

* Hire Obsidian do all the writing and quest design, and let Bethesda add a bunch of random, pointless dungeons to the end result.

31. Berzee says:

Just gimme faces that don’t look like they just had their wisdom teeth removed. Also…strangely enough…I sometimes think there is *too much to steal* in these games. If I don’t steal it all, I feel like I’m wasting the opportunity. If I do steal it all, I feel like a jerk and I get bored real fast.

• Brian Manahan says:

It would be nice if AI could detect suspicious behavior. Undoubtedly difficult to implement, but it would be sweet. Sort of like creeper detection. If someone crouches in the corner of your store all day, maybe you should be concerned. And possibly call the guards to have them removed from the premises.

• Nick says:

Well, they sort of had that in Oblivion, where if you went out of the shopkeepers sight they would follow you and comment on it. They need to make lifting items with Z count as illegal (with, say, a verbal warning not to touch then after a short while detected as a crime).

32. randomnine says:

A main quest line that doesn’t suck or constantly expose the limitations of the engine and design.

Melee and archery that’s fun and visceral. See Condemned 2, Dark Messiah, Zeno Clash.

A difficulty curve that’s reasonable, stable, and survives different character choices while perhaps gently shaping them. Glass armour bandits aside, I honestly think Oblivion’s levelling system was fine. All it really needed was for enemy level to be driven off an honest assessment of your character’s combat ability, not your tangentially-related experience level. At the very least the major/minor skill system needs to be dropped.

Better horses. Red Dead Redemption quality as a minimum, but SOTC’s horse.would be nice. In a game world as dense as Oblivion’s, getting around could be a fair bit more fun.

More varied dungeons. Or a greater focus on the generally better overworld quests and less on dungeon crawling.

I think I can live with the rest of Oblivion’s quirks, like the tiny and mostly vacant “cities”, the mud-crab obsessed clone-NPCs and so on. I’d just like the core gameplay of moving around and killing stuff to be more enjoyable, as I’ve already played Oblivion to death and can’t bring myself to start it up again.

33. Bureaucrat says:

Ditch the ‘learn by doing’ mechanic. It just encourages silly metagaming (jumping off of every statute in town, taping down the walk button to ‘sneak’ into a corner for an hour, spending an afternoon summoning skeletons only to punch them to death, etc.) and is way too easy to break, exploit, and/or stumble into a character build that is doomed without said metagaming. Stick to a level/skill progression system similar to what was used in FO3/NV.

Gamers in general are way too tolerant of ridiculously stupid rules design. (And way, way, way too tolerant of crappy writing.)

34. Cathartis says:

-bring back the Morrowind travel system (boats, caravan/silt strider, mages guild teleport, and the fairly-secret Propylon Index system).

-more interesting and unique dungeons to explore. the ones in Oblivion were horribly repetitive. Also, more dungeon types, and ruins that conceivably could have once been inhabited.

-cover a smaller area of Tamriel in higher detail. Morrowind was a far smaller area on the map than Cyrodiil, but done to a larger scale.

-actually take advantage of the vast amount of interesting history, magic, metaphysics and politics available in the TES universe. Oblivion was atrocious in this regard.

-allow quest critical npcs to die, but have a back-path for the main quest so you can still complete it even if you screw it up the conventional way (Morrowind had this).

You can tell I’m a massive fan of Morrowind =P

35. Text_Fish says:

Less bland LotR style fantasy and MORE Morrowind style craziness.

36. Cooper says:

SHADOWS

Do you know what makes that wonderfully rendered sunset immediately immersion breaking?

When that massive cathedral or tower doesn’t cast a long shadow at sunset.

Seriously, the E3 demo of Oblivion had real time environemtnal shadows, not just NPC shadows. That they haven’t been included in the Fallout games yet is a mystery. They’ve been part and parcel of basic game graphics for years now.

I’m not a graphical elitist, but it is one of those things that, once noticed, is impossible to un-notice.

Also. Stop building your game worlds out of a bunch of really bloody obvious puzzle pieces. One ruin looks like every other because they’re the same dozen pieces arranged differently…

• Hrnchamd says:

Shadows you say? There is a custom build of the graphics extender for Morrowind that does something like that. Preview.

Of course I had to write it for Morrowind first *wink*

37. Navagon says:

My main gripe with Oblivion was how much of a generic fantasy world it was compared to Morrowind. The lack of voice acting, the world levelling up with you, the extreme lack of actual content – just the same stuff repeated over and over and the lack of interesting lore just made it seem very bland.

Morrowind had more than its fair share of flaws. But it compensated for those by providing a rich and interesting world to explore. More of that please.

38. mbp says:

Please please please fix the dynamic scaling that had beggars running around in daedric armour by the end of the game. It totally killed any immersion for me.

39. disperse says:

A lot of this has been said already but I have to put my 2 cents in:

*Remove the grind: I don’t want to have to escort NPCs, fetch books, repair weapons, recharge magic items, combine hundreds of alchemical ingredients, play conversation mini-games, jump everywhere, sneak constantly, and generally do anything I don’t already want to do in order to play the game.

*Focus less on scripted quests, more on world-building: In an open-world game exploration should be rewarded. More time should be spent creating interesting things for the player to discover and less should be spent on creating side-quests. Especially if the side-quests are: go here and fetch this.

*Let the player’s actions matter: Go on, don’t be afraid. Let the player horribly break the world, it’s their world after all. This isn’t a MMO, you don’t have to worry about how the player’s actions will affect other players. Let the player assassinate the king which will then ignite a war of succession. When the player fails to close an Oblivion gate have the demons swarm out and destroy nearby towns.

*I don’t care about: fancy graphics, fully voiced NPCs, better animations. Use the same engine and spend the time creating content instead. Use text-boxes for NPC dialog, it worked for the Ultima series.

My first week with Oblivion was amazing. I thought: “this is great, it’s a fantasy world I can explore as I wish.” After that it became a chore. “I could play Oblivion but I have a pack full of alchemical ingredients I need to combine and the Mage’s guild has six fetch and escort quests lined up for me.” It’s a game, it shouldn’t have a TODO list.

In short, find a way to make TES V feel like that first week every time I play it.

40. BobDicks says:

Sorry, the next Bethesda game won’t be The Elder Scrolls 5. I unclog toilets for Bethesda so I get lots of insider info and the next game is going to be “The Elder Scrolls Adventures 2: The Lusty Argonian Maid”. Yeah they’re reviving The Elder Scrolls Adventures. Fans of Redguard will be very pleased.

41. BlueCheeseRocket says:

As long as the Lusty Argonian Maid doesn’t face the temptation of grinding for stats, and has a much, much greater variety of enemies to face, she can talk stupid and bump into walls all she wants. Amusing, funny old girl.

42. Ice-Fyre says:

I don’t need a sequel, I’ve still got Morrowind! ;-D

• Navagon says:

But imagine a Morrowind with adequate AI, a more dynamic environment which doesn’t solely rely on you to push things along. So you’ve got towns that are better protected against the increasing number of threats. Nomadic tribes that aren’t just dusty northern towns. No Cliff Racers. Better combat. A more extreme and noticeable effect of Red Mountain and / or Dagoth Ur on Vvardenfell and subsequently a more noticeable strain on Imperial presence on the island.

A remake could be good.

43. derella says:

Character models that don’t look like ass. I really hate the way people look and move in their games. I don’t expect it to change though… Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3 all suffered from it.

44. gou says:

Coop capable morrowind please and er… well thats it actually

45. Collic says:

Ahh damnit, shame about the engine. The list of what I’d like improved isn’t that long, really.

A voice acting budget
    Some real effort in improving character models and animations
    A little less hand-holding
    Better environment variation/ world design – a return to the fantastical stuff of Morrowind basically

Everything else about Oblivion was fine really. One thing I hope they don’t do is move toward the notice board style side quests – jobs for hire basically – that seem to have been cropping up more and more in modern rpgs. Keep them interesting, and give them some context.

46. coldwave says:

I want Fargoth back, he was cool.

47. Ragabhava says:

The world of Oblivion felt like a giant plastic theme park with no other vistors but me. After wandering around from one attraction to another for some time whilst shouting “hello, anybody knows where the toilets are ? ” and kicking NPC dolls in the groin out of boredom I left never to return again.

48. Max says:

I’d like to see a nice balance between Morrowind and Oblivion, to be honest. It’s idiotic clinging to a single gaming and hating everyone who likes the other one (I’m looking at YOU, Meat Circus). I’m convinced that it mostly comes down to which you played first anyway. Everyone who first fell in love with Morrowind/Oblivion saw that there was another Elder Scrolls game and thought “I loved that other Elder Scrolls game!”, but then played it and didn’t like how different it was and so decided “Everyone who likes Oblivion/Morrowind sucks!”

There were a lot of things that I didn’t like about Oblivion – a lot of stupid design choices that I think dragged the game down from greatness. But that doesn’t change the fact that I still spent hundreds of hours playing it. And that was without any mods other than interface and texture upgrades.

Where Oblivion fell flat was in its cut and paste locations and auto-leveling systems – both of which were simply time-saving techniques for the developers’ sake. All that a good sequel needs is:
    -New engine (Gamebryo can’t keep up)
    -Less cut-n-paste, more hand-crafting of content
    -Broader gameplay options

If Bethesda bases their design on that, I trust them with the rest.

49. BobDicks says:

All the hype and constant praise Morrowind gets kind of ruined it for me. The internet led me to believe it would be like drinking sweet ambrosia the nipples of god while a host of give me an “enhanced pat-down” (*winkwinknudgenudge*) but when I finally got to play the game it just seemed like an above average RPG and now I feel kind of bad about it,. I know it’s supposed to be the greatest RPG man has ever made but I just can’t get over the slow pace or bad combat system to find the greatness that everyone else seems.

Maybe I’m just really fucking dumb or I lack the patience for it.

50. Huw says:

Where were all of you lot when the game was released and I was the only person in the WHOLE UNIVERSE calling it a pile of shit while the media were all creaming their jeans over it?

For all of the reasons mentioned so far, Oblivion was a *massive* step backward from Morrowind and of my biggest gaming disappointments ever.

• BobDicks says:

Some people say the same thing about Morrowind and Daggerfall.

• BobDicks says:

• BobDicks says:

It’s like a big conga line where everyone calls the guy in front shit and says the one behind him is the greatest there ever was.

• Huw says:

“Some people say the same thing about Morrowind and Daggerfall.”

So?

“So yeah you’re nothing special. Every TES fan says this about the latest game in the series.”

I certainly felt special at the time. Couldn’t find anyone else who felt the same way I did. By the way, I’m not a particular fan of TES; Morrowind is the only game in the series I really loved.

It’s almost as if I can form my *own* opinion on games, isn’t it?

• BobDicks says:

“It’s almost as if I can form my *own* opinion on games, isn’t it?”

awesome *thumbs up*

• BobDicks says:

but that’s okay I hated it even before you did I hang out here http://www.rpgcodex.net/ wanna be BFFs i know all the cool guys there