It’s A Reel Good Time: Radical Fishing

By Quintin Smith on November 24th, 2010 at 1:12 pm.

I went fly-fishing once and hauled in a trout with its eyes missing. True story.

You all downloaded and played Super Crate Box, right? Back when that came out I pored over Dutch developer Vlambeer‘s site to see if they had any other projects. They had better than “another project”. They had a game called Radical Fishing, which as of today has been released in browser-game format. I think I’ll just let this game speak for itself. You can play it here, and watch trailers for both it and Vlambeer’s next mini-project (entitled SPACE MURDER) below. Man, we have so many indie teams doing wonderful, wonderful work these days.

I’m really enjoying the number of developers that are putting out trailers which go completely off the rails towards the end. This is a trend to be encouraged.

And here is SPACE MURDER. There’s a lot in this trailer that makes me laugh.

As I understand it, Vlambeer wanted to finish this game in 1 week but that pretty much hasn’t happened.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Handsome Dead says:

You stole this from your wife, afraid of the day she would kill you.

This is the best game. The only way it could be better is if Billy was Ice T

2. AndrewC says:

The trailer fails to explain that, once you catch the fish you throw them in the air and shoot them with a big gun. It isn’t explosive decompression, the bends, or hilarious indie randomness, it is you blowing the shit out of fish.

ACCEPTABLE

3. Alexander Norris says:

Surely it’s “It’s a Reel Big Fish,” Quinns?

4. Babs says:

It’s essentially a reverse of the ‘launch a hedgehog/turle’ games, only with more skill involved.

My favourite bit is after you shoot all the fish and he just sits there while fish blood and gore falls from the sky around him, revelling it his piscicide. Awesome.

5. Lewie Procter says:

Oh very nice, I remember seeing the reveal trailer for this and thinking it looked delightful.

6. jeremypeel says:

Absolutely can’t wait to play this when I have time later; I never stop going on about Vlambeer at the moment, they’re fantastic.

I submitted ‘Space: You’re In It’ as my entry for the space-game-in-a-week naming competition, but I must concede that Space Murder is undisputably better.

7. Bascule42 says:

My name? It’s J.R.Hartley.

8. Dominic White says:

SPACE MURDER needs to be somehow worked into being a prequel to SPACE FUNERAL. I know that wouldn’t make any sense, but that, in itself, would make sense, nonsensically.

9. JW says:

rock paper shotgun this is why I love you

10. Rob says:

What a fantastically fun game. I’m not too surprised though, coming from the makers of the awesome Super Crate Box.

11. RagingLion says:

I’m really digging the boss music for SPACE MURDER.

12. msarge says:

This is one of the reasons I love PC gaming.

13. Perching Path says:

From the game’s fishopedia:

“Lipfish
    Piscus Lippaeanius
    A dumb and rather heavy fish known for its lips
    Commonly used in west african cuisine”
    screenshot

I’m hoping there’s a joke/reference here I’m not getting, because I don’t much like the pseudo-joke I am getting.

14. Bahumat says:

Radical Fishing made me laugh out loud far too many times.

Fishipedia entry:

Name: MONSTER EEL
    Description: HAARBGLARARBHGHGHGAHGHHH

I died laughing.

15. bob arctor says:

Hmm it wouldn’t let me fill the encyclopedia, that blue fish with the goofy eyes is bugged. Won’t unlock it. Also no victory screen for having everything and getting the prize at 500m.

Oh well, still awesome game, played it for ages.

16. Zogtee says:

I would totally pay monies for these games on Steam or the iPhone. Just sayin’.

17. amishmonster says:

Oh god, the boss robot in Space Murder is shooting out Mike and Ike’s! Run from the liquorice horror!

18. Down Rodeo says:

That is an awesome game. Even the music!

19. Dominic White says:

The double-speed music in the Radical Fishing trailer is totally better than the super-laid-back version in the game itself. It doesn’t sound nearly half as manic and unhinged as the game itself is.

20. President Weasel says:

I liked the laid back music, myself.
    I also “won” the game, but I never managed to get that brown armoured fish. The hairdryer wouldn’t electrocute it, but neither would it grab the bait. Whenever I caught a fish below it and started back up, the possibly-a-ceolocanth was gone.

21. Reko says:

Hmm. I can’t seem to exit the shop after the tutorial level – the clicking, it does nothing

Comment on this story