Steam Mega-Wonga-Ultro-Sale

By Alec Meer on November 24th, 2010 at 7:43 pm.

It started just a minute ago, and will be updating throughout the week with various mega-wonga-ultro-offers. Also, 30 dudes/dudettes/dude-miscs will be awarded the top 5 games on their wishlists every day, so you should totally load that thing up with the most expensive games you can find.

There’re even bigger discounts, if you’re prepared to collaborate with your fellow human beans.

In terms of the standard sale today, Steam’s offering Prototype (quite good), Shank (not so good), RUSE (ace), Deus Ex collection (50% incredible), Alpha Protocol (divisive), Counter-Strike Source (you know), Borderlands (mostly great), Sam & Max Season 3 (much better than the earlier seasons, I’m told) and the Indie Energy Pack (ludicrously good value for 5 interesting games) for Reduced Monies.

Details and prices here. All pretty good, I’d say, especially the energy pack. In 23 hours, we get brand new ones, with that cycle continuing until the 29th.

There’s also the giftpack sale, wherein you can get multiple copies of different games (Borderlands, Ruse, Deus Ex or Half-Life 2 today – again, all change tomorrow) for even more crazy-cheap. E.g. £40 for 6 copies of Borderlands, or £90 for 6 copies of Ruse. So, I would strongly suggest you lot get together in comments below or on the forum and form into bargain-tribes who can then play with/against each other in said games’ splendid multiplayer modes.

Oh, and that mention of getting something for your ‘nemesis’ on the Steam front page – reckon that’s just a gag, or another Valvian mystery-generator?

You should also totally buy Beyond Good & Evil for £2 from GetGames, or you’re an idiot.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Walsh says:

cry maybe I should just mail my wallet to Valve.

2. IncredibleBulk92 says:

WooHoo! Steam Sale time! Alpha Protocol for a fiver you say? Would you fine RPS folks recommend this?

Also the new Sam & Max season is &7.50, well worth that money. (On a related note I just sold my Big Kill in TF2 for 5 hats plus paints, lucky me :D)

• teo says:

No, Alpha Protocol is genuinely terrible in almost every way.

• goatmonkey says:

It hard to recommend but I did enjoy it for the most part, just go in knowing it will be a mess, I got it for free with my green man gaming credit but £5 is the upper limit to what I would say its worth

• Archonsod says:

Yes. It’s one of the better RPG’s of recent times, and one of the only ones not to involve blue aliens or pointy eared elves. As others have said, it’s very reminiscent of Deus Ex. Plus, hard to go wrong for a fiver.

• Markachy says:

Get it. Teo is very wrong. If you like games with a bit of soul and innovation instead of Call of Duty 27: Pink Special Forces (COD: PISFO) then you have to support this sort of game.

It is genuinely very good though. The sorts of people who don’t like it are the sorts of people who took years to realise the brilliance of the likes of Planescape Torment and Vampire Bloodlines

• Kandon Arc says:

Alpha Protocol is a decent game on the whole, though it comes close to being ruined by the atrocious boss fights – stealth is NOT a viable route in this game. I did play it on Xbox so I can’t comment on how well the PC version performs. At £5 I’d recommend it.

• leeder krenon says:

Alpha Protocol is one of the best games I have played this year.

• geldonyetich says:

Alpha Protocol is a great little romp, somewhat Deus Ex like, and most of the bugs have been obliterated by later patches. Granted, once in awhile one will crop up. I ended up finishing an extremely difficult boss fight involving a cocaine-snorting European mobster because he got stuck in the terrain.

• IncredibleBulk92 says:

Hmm well I did buy Call of Duty 27 so… Guess I’ll take the risk. I’m happy to put up with mediocre gunplay if the game still has a great story and some good writing.

It’s only a fiver anyway. I lose more than that when I fall over after leaving bars.

• IncredibleBulk92 says:

I also rebought Deus Ex, years after my original purchase with the hope that I make it past the stealth part of the tutorial this time. I’ve heard such good things about it.

• Eric says:

Agree with Markachy, Teo is speaking from a position of soullessness that makes me sad. :(

Alpha Protocol has some mechanical problems, for sure. But it also has entire missions made of nothing but dialogue, and those missions are actually meaningful to the branching plot of the game. There are a ton of cool ideas in the game and it’s absolutely worth a fiver.

• Arthur Barnhouse says:

Why are you wringing your hands over wheterh it is good? it’s $5. Just buy it. If it isn’t good, you’ve only spent as much as a copy of Poker Night at the Inventory.

• Lobotomist says:

Get Alpha Protocol. Great game from great developer (Obsidian)

But play stealth character. It is all ready established that people that didnt like it, played non-stealth

• jalf says:

It’s pretty unpolished, and apparently, that has made it nearly unplayable for some. It worked without any issues on my system, and the actual *game*, ignoring any technical issues, is great. I loved it.

I just can’t guarantee that it’ll work as well on your system.

• Matzerath says:

I totally bought it! For that price I’ll be happy if it’s terribly great or fantastically awful. I imagine that it must be both.

• Ravenger says:

Pity Alpha Protocol still has the Uniloc DRM. I don’t buy games off Steam with third party DRM.

• Lilliput King says:

The story and writing are actually pretty lacklustre, so don’t go in expecting a Shakespearean masterpiece. It’s good in it’s own way, but I’m not sure how to classify that way. Its story is innovative not because of its content but because of how it was delivered. And I suppose not many RPGs bother to innovate in any fashion, so it’s definitely worth your time if you’re a fan of RPGs, ‘specially for £5.

• MrMud says:

Its genuiniely not great, but its not terrible either. And its definitely worth the asking price.

• sinister agent says:

Seconding MrMud’s comment – I bought it recently for the funsquare for a few quid. It’s worth playing, and for a fiver, worth buying for a bit of slightly unusual chatty/stealthy/upgrade-y shooty fun. Not without its faults.

• Nick says:

I enjoyed Alpha Protocol a lot.

• invisiblejesus says:

Note that Gamersgate has matched Steam’s price on Alpha Protocol, and they reset any and all activation limits by request, no questions asked. If you’re wary about DRM, they’re the way to go. I just snagged it, I’ve heard too many comparisons to Deus Ex and Bloodlines not to give it a try at this price.

• malkav11 says:

Alpha Protocol is one of the best games released all year, and is criminally underrated. Unless you’re one of the few poor souls for whom it doesn’t work properly. But five pounds/$7.50 is cheap enough you’re not out much even if that’s true, and if it does work for you, you just got a hell of a bargain. (I paid $50, when it came out, and count myself as having gotten my money’s worth beyond a doubt.)

• phlebas says:

@Lobotomist Are you sure? More of the complaints I heard were about getting to boss fights with a stealth character and finding them impossible and/or tedious without a combat-focussed build.

• latedave says:

Personally I played it as a combat character and thoroughly enjoyed it. However the combat is rather Mass Effect 1, its the story that really drives the game and the multiple paths really work very well. You’ll find yourself wanting to go back just to see the different possibilities and the actings pretty good. Downsides are stealth is not an option, it makes 90% of the game stupidly easy but the boss sections impossible which is a real shame. As mentioned above I only managed to kill the Russian boss disco mobster (not a phrase I thought I’d use often!) because he got stuck in the wall and the second final boss mysteriously grenaded himself, don’t think I could of completed it otherwise.

• innokenti says:

Just get Alpha Protocol. Barring Fallout New Vegas, it’s Game of the Year for me.

Sure, there is some lack of polish, but that is more than made up for the fact that it is incredibly fun to play throughout and has great replay value. £5 is ridiculously cheap for this.

3. oceanclub says:

I’m really torn about getting Prototype. It looks like a second-rate Just Cause 2. Since I already have that, have played it to bits but not finished it, should I just play that instead?

P.

• RobF says:

Prototype is a shave or 6 away from being absolutely brilliant. It’s totally wrecked by insane-o difficulty spikes but it has, without a doubt, the best opening 10 minutes of a game ever.

It screams “I AM VIDEOGAME, FEAR ME” and has the balls to back it up.

Unfortunately, it then strips you of all the impressive punchy powers and becomes a bit of a slog after that but it’s fun enough if you can grit your teeth through the stupid-spikey-hard-bits.

• Archonsod says:

It’s a bit more like Assassin’s Creed than Just Cause to my mind. Except with more eating people and less assassination. It’s worth it for the money, and does some interesting things with the open city 3rd person game concept. Really depends on the money, it’s worth eight quid in my book, but it’s not an unmissable bargain by any means.

• Starky says:

Prototype is a good game that falls just short of greatness as said, by a few niggling issues…

Now, that said you can elevate Prototype into full-on greatness if you just swallow your gamer pride and play it on the easiest difficulty setting – not because normal or hard are actually harder – just because easy reduces the stupid cheapness of the enemies lategame – the makers of this game didn’t seem to understand how to make it harder on harder difficulty settings, so they just made enemies cheaper (stunlock, knockdowns, stunning counter attacks, so on).

The game won’t be a challenge, but it will be FUN. You just can’t not enjoy picking up a car and throwing it at a Helicopter.

It is also a game that is just better with a 360 controller plugged in also.

Upgrades you MUST get ASAP if you want to enjoy the game – hunter throw (dirtnap?) and ground spikes (+ upgrades, you get that one at the start) makes fights with hunters much more fun.

• Jockie says:

It’s a game that reaps benefits for the sandbox player, by which I mean the kind of gamer who likes messing around with a bunch of fun tools in a large environment causing havoc. Elbow dropping tanks from the top of skyscrapers, using pedestrians as human surfboards, running up walls etc.

Storyline, characters, missions etc not so great.

So kind of like Just Cause 2, yeah.

• Clovis says:

It sounds like you can’t change the difficulty part way through then? That should be a standard feature on all games.

• Starky says:

It should be yes, but sadly it isn’t.

• Tei says:

For one reason of another, Prototype is on my list of best 5 videogames ever. Is superweird because is not that good, but the science that I use to calculate this has never failed to me. Very recomended game.

• Lilliput King says:

It’s fun! Really fun. The amount of destruction you can cause is absurd, and it just feels right doing it. I can’t remember when I started giggling maniacally (it was either when I summoned dozens of gigantic spikes that tore a street in half and impaled three dozen pedestrians, or when I hurled a car down a street and jumped on the back, surfing the waves of broken limbs and bodies), but I do remember that it took a good five minutes to stop.

It’s probably the best superhero game ever made.

• drewski says:

As others have said, the first ten minutes are possibly the greatest ten minutes in videogaming history. Then they take away all the things that make the game fun, nerf your powers and the game turns into a tedious chore.

If you really, really like beat-em-ups you’ll probably like it, and it does do some nice things, but the difficulty spikes are insane and at the end of the day you’ve played the best bit once you’ve played the intro.

• DrGonzo says:

If you enjoy scaling skyscrapers and punching holes in womens faces then Prototype is the game for you. The actual campaign is a bit odd, and the difficulty is all over the place. But as a 30 minute mess around in a sandbox city, it’s excellent fun.

• d00d3n says:

Prototype is a very flawed game with some fanastic game mechanics. I get the comparisons with Assassins Creed in that both do this maximalist sand box experience where you are essentially a god and the designers have to throw everything at you to make it challenging. Both also have unique basic game mechanics that make it fun to play in the moment despite flaws in level design, mission design and so on.

The most accomplished single aspect of the game that stuck with me was how great traversal across the skyscrapers of New York felt. You run at full speed vertically up the chrysler building and you jump off the top several hundred meters AND THEN you glide for a kilometer or so AND THEN you change direction mid air with the second jump ability and reach another skyscraper to repeat the same thing. Never gets old.

• TheTingler says:

Every time I consider buying Prototype, I think “why?”. It’s such a compelling argument that I don’t.

4. Rinox says:

I got Alpha Protocol on the sale. :-) Rest doesn’t interest me much, or not enough at the price they’re at (Protoype, Shank).

Does anyone really have 10 gamer friends left who don’t own HL2 already? Dang! (re: gift pack)

• somini says:

I don’t have HL2.You can give me…
      *shameless plug*

• Rinox says:

Haha, if I didn’t have to buy 10 copies at once to get the discount I might have done so. :-) I came close to saying “‘if another 9 people respond I’ll buy the 10-pack and give them all a copy”, but seeing as I don’t even celebrate Thanksgiving that may have been a bit much!

• megaman says:

Besides, it might be hard to find 9 other people who still don’t own HL2 :D

5. Nero says:

Oh my.. I guess I need to get on making a wishlist then. Also, buying games that I have no time to play. Hooray!

6. terry says:

Just yoinked Alpha Protocol, which I was on the fence about until the price dropped. Thanks, Valve. Thalve.

• subedii says:

It got a lot of negativity, most of which I felt was unwarranted. People kept complaining about the fact that it didn’t play like an FPS where you could Bullseye every target at 50 feet.

The shooting RPG levelling works more along the lines of Deus Ex, where things start out tough but that’s what forces you to specialise, and eventually you become a devastator with your chosen weapons. Once you’re good with that, it’s fine.

There were also a lot of complaints about bugs, which I can’t say I really ran into so I can’t comment on that.

What I will say is that it’s got a storyline where player decisions can and do have drastic influence on how it plays out, which was pretty impressive. It’s one of those rare games where the ‘evil’ choices aren’t just about the main character drown kittens whilst smiling menacingly. There was rational motives behind whichever approach you could take, and the game played out appropriately. If you wanted Thorton to be a complete psychopath, then you could, but that was just a style of Thorton that “got the job done at all costs”.

I also felt the voice acting was top notch, and certainly, Josh Gilman does a really good job for Mike Thorton. Certainly much better and more subtle than Mark Meer in Mass Effect ever managed. A lot of that probably came down to the fact that the people writing the dialogue were actually sitting in on the voice recording sessions to give direction. I felt it did a lot for the quality of the voicework.

• jalf says:

Yep, as long as you think of it as a Deus Ex, rather than a Half-Life, it’s a really good game. The combat *isn’t* bad, it’s just not an FPS. It is very similar to Deus Ex, and I don’t recall people raging at Deus Ex having a terrible broken combat system. It’s just based heavily on character skill rather than player skill. Perhaps that’s an old-fashioned design choice, but it worked for Deus Ex, and I felt it worked for Alpha Protocol.

• DrGonzo says:

I bought it earlier. I always prefer playing games that try and fall on their faces than those that are polished but unoriginal.

• terry says:

Thanks for the detailed comments chaps, I’m still downloading it but I’m quite looking forward to giving it a shot. I’m a dialogue fiend so this is definitely up my alley, so to speak.

7. KingCathcart says:

Oh bugger. I still haven’t played half the games I bought last year.

8. Bas says:

Sweet. Added some stuff to my wishlist now, thanks!

9. subedii says:

Also worth mentioning, Direct2Drive are also having a promo going at the moment where 1 in ever 5 orders is completely free.

As in, when you place your order, you have a 1/5 chance that your entire basket will actually be free. Pretty good idea for a competition.

After being a 1 horse race for so long, the competition between DD sites is finally starting to get interesting.

Destructoid also say that they’re offering to price match with the other major DD sites (Steam, Gamersgate and Gamestop), but I’m not sure I’m seeing that anywhere on the site. Maybe it’s just a default policy now or something?

• Archonsod says:

Nah, they’ve got a blurb about it near the top of the page. Basically, until the 31st December if you buy a game off them and then find it cheaper on certain rivals they’ll give you back the difference.

10. Tusque d'Ivoire says:

my god, I’m going to spend a lot of money this week. which is wrong, because christmas is coming up. i don’t think valve intended it that way. can anyone say anything about the indie pack that is on sale?

will finally yoink CS:S to play with mates.

• mep says:

Only one I know from the list is Galcon Fusion. I picked it up for 2 quid early february and played some 100h so far. It’s that addicting.

• Matt says:

100 hrs? Damn… when each round is about 3 minutes long, that’s really saying something!

11. Stu says:

Fuck gifting them, I’m buying the HL2 10-pack and playing them all back-to-back.

• subedii says:

At £1 each, I’m kind of tempted to buy a Deus Ex Giftpack and gift the copies to some friends.

£14 for 10 copies of HL2 is also ridiculous. I’ve still got my spare copy from when I bought the Orange Box.

• CreepingDeath says:

It does make me wonder if there is anyone on Steam that HASN’T got a copy of hl2 yet.

Surely at this stage they should do a portal and give it away for free for a weekend

• DrGonzo says:

They did give away Portal for free, and it wasn’t just a weekend, you got to keep it forever but the offer only lasted a weekend I think.

12. John H says:

I’m down if anybody wants to split the price for the 10 pack of the half life 2.. If you can think of a way to do it properly.

• John H says:

(Or if you just mind gifting 1 to me) :P

• Sander Bos says:

John, if you post your (steam account related) email address I can gift it to you….

• John H says:

Hey sorry. Not too sure if i can still get onto that deal, that’d be awesome though, man.
      My steam ID is: HuntOOR

• Sander Bos says:

Err, ‘HuntOOR was last online 223 days ago’. Anyway, I think you have to accept me as a friend on Steam and then Christmas can come early…

• John H says:

Mistake there^_^
      I’m online daily (off-and-on).
      And i don’t have a request so i guess it’s wrong or something.
      What is your ID, and i will add you?

13. Teronfel says:

Great deals!!! I just bought deus ex and alpha protocol

14. Markachy says:

Please everyone get Alpha Protocol. At that price it is an absolute steal. The combat isn’t great, but after a few level-ups (being sensible in what you level up in), its world of fantastic voice-acting, suitably good dialogue and JAW DROPPING amounts of potential story permutations will win you over swiftly.

Its like Deus Ex’s whole “one person’s experience isn’t like another persons experience” taken to a whole new level. Like having the Paul dying/not dying choice happen at pretty much every major plot point. It really didn’t deserve the panning it got from a lot of people.

15. frags says:

What are the odds of getting my wishlist fulfilled? 1 in 5,000,000 now? Oh and there’s no Alpha Protocol for my region :(

• lostrootpass says:

The facts:
      * 30 winners every day
      * 30 million active Steam accounts, according to Valve

So the absolute worst case scenario is 1 in 1,000,000 — five times more optimistic than your estimate.

Now, let’s consider that there are criteria to eligibility:

* Account must be in good standing
      * Wishlist must have at least 10 games

I’m willing to bet that a lot of the recent growth burst in Steam activity is due to the recent surge of Steamworks retail titles (MW2, CODBLOPS, FNV, Civ V, etc) and not everyone uses their Steam account to its full potential, instead using it out of requirement/obligation.

Now consider the ones that do. Of them, not all will have 10+ titles in their wishlist. Of the ones that do, not all will have a VAC status of “in good standing”.

Interestingly enough, even though for the competition you only win the top five, it’s only in the smallprint that it’s stated that you have to have at least ten in the wishlist.

My estimate, using science, is that the actual chance of “winning” is approximately 1 in 650,000. And that’s each day. Because winners won’t be selected more than once, your odds improve (not dramatically, but they improve) over the five-day sale period.

• mwoody says:

Whoah, “wishlist must have 10 games” – that’s a big one that I’d missed. Thanks for the heads up.

• MattM says:

I would argue that your odds go down each day since far more people are going to be creating wish-lists than will win the contest and be eliminated each day.

• fallingmagpie says:

Aaaarrrrggghh quick add five more games I thought I only needed five

16. Ricc says:

That “nemesis” character has been part of the Steam Community front page since it launched. Anybody found an elegant way to construe an Episode 3 hint out of this yet? :P

• DJ Phantoon says:

Gordon Freeman ends up being the bad guy.

WHAAAT A TWIIIST

• Rinox says:

I always knew the combine were actually trying to save Earth from Gordon Freeman and his henchman the G-Man!

• Tei says:

G-Man is the bad guy, and all you did on all games, was to advance his agenda for total control. He is the big evil, the combine are just a small evile.

• MattM says:

G-Man has always seemed pretty sketchy so I don’t know if it would be a twist or not for him to be the big evil of Half-Life.

• MadTinkerer says:

The G Man himself is not the mystery, but rather who his employers are and who the heck is “bidding” for Freeman’s “services” over the course of Half Life 2 (99% sure it’s not the Resistance).

Is the G Man a Bad Guy? Oh heck yeah: he’s a kidnapper and he has no qualms about offering Freeman’s services to the Combine, at least according to Breen, and at the time Breen had no reason to lie. Plus, I forget where it’s mentioned (might not be strict canon) but the G Man provided the “sample” that caused the Black Mesa Incident, and may well have been responsible for framing Gordon Freeman. Oh, and he’s got no qualms about using hypnosis, on mortally injured young women, to deliver messages.

Plus he’s deliberately creepy and likely not even human.

So pretty much all signs point to the G Man being the bad guy.

17. Christopher M. says:

Gah. I have $20 to spend, and I’m torn between snapping up the first things I like that come on sale, and waiting for the really good deals…

• Heliosicle says:

Always the tough choice. I’m taking a chance and not buying anything today.

18. Simon Dufour says:

I’d also like to know what’s the indy pack.

• MadTinkerer says:

Brainpipe (fun trippy corridor-flying game)
      Galcon Fusion (arcade 4X, not unlike Eufloria on crack BEWARE: will eat your free time)
      Protogalaxy (fun shoot-em-up)
      Gridrunner Revolution (fun surreal shoot-em-up by the maker of Llamatron, Space Giraffe, Tempest, & Tempest 2000)
      Quantz (fun puzzler)

19. Mark says:

This is exactly the price drop I was waiting for and expecting to come on Steam, with regards to AP. At the time I couldn’t justify checking out the game just for the sake of curiosity, but at £5 that’s much more acceptable.

Also, Shank is good and worth the price. Played it on the 360, so I’m not sure how it would work with a keyboard (probably badly). There are some slight kinks, but on the whole it’s visually polished, intelligently designed brawler. Prototype is also fun, but more of the dumb kind, though.

20. orangedragon10 says:

Filled up my wish list, bought Alpha Protocol for myself, and bought Super Meat Boy for a friend. A good day’s work!

21. Unaco says:

Oh dear. I kind of hope I don’t get paid on Thursday now. I have enough games to keep me going ’til at least early next year… but if I have shekels, I’ll likely pick something up. I hope I can actually resist ’til they do something similar over Christmas.

22. noobnob says:

What the dickens, no Alpha Protocol on Steam, but it’s available on GamersGate for me. I don’t get these regional restrictions…

Can anyone vouch for the Indie Energy Pack? Are the games any good?

• TeeJay says:

Well I’ve just been trying to play ProtoGalaxy but I am getting frustrated by the wierd menu lay-out and non-existent? hotkeys – for example I just got stuck in editor mode with no obvious way of exiting and ended up having to kill the process. The few posts over on the Source Studio forums seem very technical but I can’t yet find some very basic and simple instructions of how to get into the single player game (I just keep getting sent back to the basic tutorial (although I think you can exit this one using the ‘return’ key), either that or something about going online.

I’m sure here is a good game under the lid, if I can figure out a way in…

23. Caleb367 says:

Great they will get more titles on each day, since they’ve managed to nail exactly the ones i’m least interested in. ‘cept Prototype which is awesome. Also already in my possession.

24. coldwave says:

Ok, don’t laugh, I just bought Deus Ex.

25. Gotem says:

be aware that the wishlist must have at least 10 entries to be elegible for the contest

Edit: you are right

*ehem* the number of items shall be five, and five is the number of items. ten is right off!

26. Frosty says:

Gods how I hope Bioshock 2 ends up in this sale at some point.

• MrTambourineMan says:

I bet it actually will (it was on sale on GFWL last weekend as well).

• MrLongHair says:

I didn’t enjoy Bioshock 2 at all.. just a warning. Loved the first one and felt the second was a dull re-hash. Just MHO tho.

27. Lars Westergren says:

Note that you must have at least 10 games on your wishlist to be in the lottery…

28. Matt W says:

Sir, sir, can I be excused sir, I already own three copies of BG&E.

• Little Tohya says:

I started it on PS2, got a couple of hours in, didn’t think much of it, not interested in spending £2 on it.

Prototype however, currently downloading.

29. Kloreep says:

Another sale folks might want to hear about: Dragon Age Ultimate Edition for $25 at Impulse.

30. President Weasel says:

The RPS Thumb-o-tron said “FOUR THUMBS UP” for RUSE so I bought it. I’m hoping our “we would play civ 5 if the mupltiplayer wasn’t irksomely buggy” group can get some enjoyment out of it.

Is it too early to give the gift of games as a Christmas present? What are the rules on that; is there a Christmas present demilitarised zone I’m not aware of?

31. OldRat says:

Well, I now have a wishlist. It is, indeed, loaded with expensive, new, shiny games. Of course, I will never, ever win anything, but hey.

32. Mccy_McFlinn says:

I LOVE STEAM SALES!!!!!!

33. Tally Lassiter says:

Shank, not so good? Rubbish. I loved the game and still do. I worked out a not so bad keyboard setup too but now I have a controller so me and my roommate or me and my girl can play together and it’s excellent fun. I already have most of what interests me from this sale, though. I’m only going to get SM[eat]B I think.

• andy clementson says:

Seconded. Shank is ace. (soz, didnt see post before posting)

• puked says:

Shank looks like some stylish bastard child of Final Fight and Metal Slug, at $10 I pretty much have to try it.

• bonjovi says:

shank is well worth its full price. on sale? – must have.

if you like fighting side scrollers that is (if you don’t then you’re weird :P )

34. Casimir's Blake says:

Hang on, is this still RPS, the bastion of gaming journalism we’ve come to know and love?

For the same reasons I never bought Psychonauts? Or most of the games in this sale and previous Steam sales… there’s not enough time in the day? None of the games are that compelling? I’ve got enough to do in my life when I’m not working, writing an album, and staving off a Minecrack addiction?

Alec, are you taking over where Kieron’s pushy, offputting machismo left off? At least Quintin qualified his reasons for disliking New Vegas…

• Alec Meer says:

I know you’ve put a lot of effort into finding an excuse to turn playfulness into a fight, but I don’t want one. Byeeeeee!

• Unaco says:

I think that retort is possibly better than many of the games on today’s sale. It’s getting added to my collection of “Wonderful Things People Have Said on the Internet”. I tip my hat to you Mr Meer.

• Matzerath says:

No slacking off! Get back to work on that album!

• Casimir's Blake says:

Actually the album’s finished.

Probably also because I didn’t waste money and time on games that will never get played. I continue to read RPS in the hopes that they will mention titles that might be of interest (and for what it’s worth, Protogalaxy looks superb), but being pre-emptively proclaimed an idiot for deciding not to spend money on something?

It’s like I’m reading latter-days PC Format again.

• mcnostril says:

Pushy Offputting Machismo.
      I wish I had musical talent so I could make a garage band and name it that.
      Then I’m glad I don’t because I would probably be changing band names every 15 minutes and never actually do any music.

• JuJuCam says:

BG&E is like an 8 hour game. Most of which is fairly enjoyable. If you can’t spare 8 hours and two of your fancy British pounds for a game what are you doing reading a gaming website at all?

• DrGonzo says:

BGE is a good game and all, but I wouldn’t say it’s a must play or anything. It’s a better idea for a game than it is an actual game if you get me. It has a lot of potential to be some kind of game about journalism and investigating, but basically just ends up being a lot like Zelda. Like I said, very good, but not a classic.

Now Psychonauts on the other hand, it basically has the best level design I’ve ever seen. Yeah the first 3-5 hours are pretty shite. But it really picks up after that.

• Collic says:

Admit it, you only posted a contentious comment on here so you could pimp your album :P

• mpk says:

I’m with Alec. Calm down dear, it’s only a commercial.

• ceebux says:

+1 for Collic.

Sneaky URL add, there.

• skinlo says:

Silly emotional musician.

• panther says:

listen to meeeee im a musciaannnnn

• invisiblejesus says:

Kieron and machismo in the same sentence? Dude, NO ONE who listens to Kenickie may be referred to as having machismo. NO ONE.

35. Arthur Barnhouse says:

$2 for Beyond Good and Evil? I wish I hadn’t already bought it so I could buy it again.

36. Clovis says:

Steam should offer a 10 pack of Super Girly Pink Pony Time! or whatever. I bet they’d get quite a few sales from jokesters looking to pretty up their friend’s games lists.

• mwoody says:

This… is actually clever as hell. Wow. Y’know, if that “YOU ARE WINNAR” game was on Steam, for $10 for a 10-pack… They’d probably make more than many actually good games.

37. laikapants says:

I don’t know if it is a good or bad thing that I already own most anything I would’ve considered buying in this year’s wallet murder spree. At least AP dropped to an agreeable price.

38. andy clementson says:

Why are ppl down on Shank? is there some game killing exploit like rise of the machines 2 in it or something? if so, dont tell me what it is ’cause i think the game rocks.

• Mike says:

I, for one, had a blast playing Shank.

• Samuel Erikson says:

andy clementson says:
      November 24, 2010 at 9:12 pm

I spent about 20 minutes with it and found the gameplay not to my tastes and the lack of subtitles completely hateful and reprehensible. With subtitles I might have stuck with it, but any game that forces me to listen to its (invariably) mediocre voice acting to get the story is not worth my time.

• DrGonzo says:

I think hateful is probably taking it a little far. I found it to be very entertaining, but way too short.

• Samuel Erikson says:

DrGonzo says:
      November 24, 2010 at 11:03 pm

Perhaps hateful is a little extreme. How about completely ignorant of basic accessibility?

• DrGonzo says:

Yeah that’s perfect actually.

• invisiblejesus says:

I really liked Shank. I’d buy it (or likely would already have bought it) if I hadn’t already grabbed it on my roomate’s PS3 a couple months ago. If it dropped to $5 I’d likely buy it again on Steam just to play with a 360 pad instead of the crappy Sony controller.

• Insidious Rex says:

As someone with deaf relatives I find the lack of subtitles as standard for many games to be a particular bugbear for me. Not to mention the borderline contempt that television treats their subtitles, try to watch The Simpsons on channel 4 with the subtitles and see how many jokes get changed or missed completely by the omission of certain words.

39. scardb says:

Does the wishlist giveaway work with pre-orders too by any chance? (You can add games to your wishlist in advance but I want to know if they’ll be honouring that giveaway in several months when a game such as the witcher 2 actually releases). I couldn’t find an answer within the sweepstakes rules.

• Delusibeta says:

AFAIK Valve has posted to say that “if you can add it to your wishlist, you can win it”.

• malkav11 says:

With Steam preorders, you buy it immediately and it goes in your library. Just can’t download it until it comes out. As such it ought to be easy enough for them to give you preorders if you win.

• scardb says:

@Delusibeta and malkav11, thanks for your replies. Got myself a nice little selection now. Gogo miniscule chances of actually winning!

• Maxheadroom says:

Some games (like Warhammer 40k Space Marine for instance) dont have a price so you cant pre buy them, but you can add them to your wishlist. Are those eligible too?

• Maxheadroom says:

*Actually Portal 2 would be a much better example of a pre release game with no option to buy yet

40. Vandelay says:

RUSE for £20 still seems a little steep for me at the moment. RUSE for £15 however… Anyone up for doing the 6 pack or needs a 6th person?

Definitely getting Alpha Protocol though. Whether had flaws or not, it still had a unique premise and I really think an RPG that doesn’t have pointy ears of the alien or elfy kind should be encouraged.

41. Delusibeta says:

Also, you can cut out Invisible War and go straight to Deus Ex 1 for £1.50.

• DrGonzo says:

I’d really recommend getting IW with it though. Looking back you can see that Deus Ex isn’t quite as good as we all like to remember, and IW is a lot better than people say.

• phlebas says:

But it’s a penny cheaper to buy them separately anyway.

42. mwoody says:

‘Dunno if someone has mentioned this yet, but it’s non-obvious and bears repeating: unlike, say, Netflix, if you reorder your Steam wish list, you HAVE to click the tiny “save” button at the bottom of the page for it to remember your changes.

43. toni says:

alpha protocoll is awesome and I MAXED stealth and had NO problems at all, unarmed + stealth == ownage

44. TooNu says:

BORDERLANDS BOUGHT!

sexy time ooooh

45. Vinraith says:

What’s kind of scary is that my backlog of games has reached such epic proportions that I’m finding it difficult to find things to put on the wishlist in the hopes of getting them free. That’s… that’s just wrong…

• Rinox says:

Vin, do like me and put games that aren’t out yet on there – postponing more possible backlog issues!

• Vinraith says:

@Rinox

Yeah, that’s exactly what I ended up doing. Cheers!

• Blackberries says:

Vinraith: I had exactly the same problem. It was a bit worrying.

• Thermal Ions says:

Yes hoping to save some future dollars.

46. drewski says:

Alas, I already own both Deus Ex games. Alpha Protocol is US$12.50 in my region, which is just slightly out of my impulse buy territory. Maybe if I could play it right now I would buy it, but this computer won’t run it.

Still, I shall make sure I check out future days of saleness.

47. Wolfox says:

RUSE with a 50% discount would be an instant buy for me. 33%, not so sure.

48. Kdansky says:

Do not buy Beyond Good and Evil.

It has stupid copy protection (TAGES) which cannot install itself on a 64bit Win7/Vista. Which isn’t bad, since that is pretty much a root kit anyway. And if you get a decent crack, it still fails to start because the idiots forgot to pack some older DirectX 9 dlls which don’t come with modern systems. Now I’ll have to hunt for those too.

• subedii says:

GOG.com would appear to have you covered on both parts.

Maybe a bit more expensive, but DRM free. I had no issues running it (barring some occasional graphical glitching) so I couldn’t say on that front, but I do know that GOG generally reconfigure games to work on modern systems.

• Arthur Barnhouse says:

Is this something Get Games added? I didn’t have to install any additional DRM when I bought Beyond Goos and Evil earlier this year.

49. The Dark One says:

The Nemesis thing is there to remind you that you can gift Numen and Bad Rats to that one guy who tricked you in a TF2 hat trade.

50. Vinraith says:

What’s the DRM on Alpha Protocol these days? I remember something about limited installs with a promise to remove them later when it was released, were they ever actually removed? Is there a difference between the retail DRM and the Steam version’s DRM?

Actually, same questions for Prototype as well. Thanks to anyone that knows.