Back To The Future: In Game Shots

By John Walker on November 25th, 2010 at 11:26 am.

Coo, some improvements to the Telltale engine are evident.

The first screenshots of Telltale’s Back To The Future game have appeared, and you can look at them now. Quickly, before bits of them start fading away, and we all have to shag our mothers. Click on them for enlargenment.

You can pre-order the game now for $25, and you’ll get Puzzle Agent for free. Telltale will also give a buck to the Michael J Fox Foundation For Parkinson’s Research. There’s still no sign of an official release date.

, , .

1. Bascule42 says:

..Looks interesting. The BthF films are numbered in my all time faves…(well, 1&2 anyway), so hopefully, this may give a bit of that rosey warm fuzzy nostalgia feeling that we all love from time to time. And convert a few more people to the series.

…also, if Im shagging mothers – we’d better be swapping!

• MarkSide says:

Whoa, whoa whoa! ’1&2′?!? Three is kickass!! It’s like a western! Yeah! :P

• Nick says:

3 rounds it off nicely.

• Tom OBedlam says:

I’m a huge fan of one and three but two I find almost unwatchable.

• Bascule42 says:

I hate westerns. I think the last comment from Doc at the end of the first one carried the 2nd film for me. “Roads? Where we’re going. We don’t need… roads”. ***…That’s the power of love…ect”. ***

• TheTingler says:

I love all three. If I had to choose one I disliked most, I would actually go with the first one. George McFly really annoys me.

2. Hodge says:

In that second shot it looks like both Doc Brown and the Delorean are dancing Night Fever style.

• Wulf says:

If they could get the rights to the music cheaply enough, that would make for an incredible Easter Egg.

3. Navagon says:

Only the top one looks like a screenshot to me.

4. Xercies says:

Doc Brown kind of looks like a fish. oh and if anyones worried about the new guy playing Marty. Don’t be he sounds uncannily like him.

skalpadda says:

Orange and Teal. Damn whoever linked that in the first place, I see it everywhere now..

6. Urael says:

Poor old Doc and Marty, forever doomed to be able to travel in time but unable to escape that one town. They’re decent enough films but this series doesn’t rank very highly on my Retrometer. It’s unlikely I’ll be purchasing these.

Michael J Fox is a legend, though.

7. P7uen says:

“decent enough”

Later, when I have a quiet moment, I will think about what you said and I will cry.

Edit: @Urael.

I’m doing really well on the reply fails today.

8. Rick says:

BttF isn’t my cup of tea, I’ll be taking advantage of the free first episode thingy to test the waters before I commit any cash to this.

9. LionsPhil says:

Never before has the DeLorean DMC-12 looked so squat and ugly. And as for Doc Brown…goddamnit, Telltale. Fire your artists.

• DrGonzo says:

I thought the earlier concept stuff was a bit of a let down. But I really quite like those screenshots.

• Rick says:

I always thought that the DeLorean (whether time-travelling capable or not) looked squat and ugly anyway, so these screenshots look fairly accurate to the real car model.

• LionsPhil says:

@Rick: Then you have something in common with Telltale’s art team: you didn’t look up reference images. Hell, the one on Wikipedia that Google Image Search finds on the first page of results is even much the same angle as that screenshot. Look at the proportion of the car’s length that that bonnet covers. Look at the ratio in length between the door windows and the rear side windows. They’ve done a sloppy, half-assed job on one of the key aspects of the source material. (Just like Telltale do with everything else.)

(Let’s see if the rejigged comment system can actually position replies properly when cookies are being first set.)

10. Lionearth says:

Also episode 1 is free.

11. DrGonzo says:

Well done John, I think that’s the best opening paragraph I’ve ever read on RPS.

12. Rich says:

No John, it was your mum trying to shag you that started the whole disappearing thing. Honestly, it’s mistakes like this that make me think you’re not cut out for time travelling.

13. Wulf says:

Telltale, Back to the Future, I like where they’re going with the caricatures, and I have no complaints.

Their efforts make me smile, and I just have to wonder sometimes if people have become that jaded. If it had been photorealistic, that would’ve been as boring as hell. Everyone’s doing photorealistic these days, a few people are doing caricatured styles but in a very shit way (you know who you are, bad artists), and even fewer still are doing this kind of thing well.

Can we at least not be angry at Telltale? I feel like the companies I do like, like Telltale and Obsidian, are going to slip away because people are so jaded that they can’t enjoy anything that has a little character or a little soul any more, just mass produced pap is what they’ve come to expect, that’s all they can see, and if anything exists outside those margins, it’s crap. Blargh.

It’s irritating. With most gamers I see people who simply can’t appreciate the things I do because they’re too soaked in capitalism, but with British gamers I see people who can’t appreciate the things I do because they’re too bloody jaded. It’s depressing.

14. Unaco says:

After that top screenshot, I had to go and find a YouTube compilation of Doc Brown exclaiming “Great Scott!!”

15. Vinraith says:

There’s something… disturbing about that animated version of Christopher Lloyd. I can’t quite put my finger on it, though.

16. sadface says:

So why did Sam&Max have to look like shit when they could have made them pretty?

IMHO Steve’s creation deserved the same high comic-like 2D standard as the comic itself, but the 1990s 3D Studio look completely ruined it.

17. Benny says:

Ah zhengun your passion for shoes is only matched by your passion for err… i dunno needle work using boomerangs! Anyway sadly your website doesn’t have Marty McFly’s lovely self lacing FutureNikeClassics so i will not be shopping there.

And RPS folk, i fear someone left the door open last night. The fridge’s been raided and there’s a small hobo sitting on the sofa lying on my work trousers…