Steam Ultro-Discount #3 – Torchlight, VVVVVV

By Alec Meer on November 26th, 2010 at 6:40 pm.

This is my job now. I tell you what’s discounted on Steam, which ones are best, and link to them. Would you like me to dance for you? Would you? Fine. [Shuffles awkwardly, humming Lady Gaga.] Happy now? ARE YOU?

Yes, day three of the Steam sale is on. Highlight is – once again – the indie bundle, this time designated ‘Clever‘ and offering VVVVVV, Eufloria, World of Goo, Doc Clock and Iron Grip: Warlord for £4/$5. Crissakes! Crazy-cheap!

Also touched by the hand of Sale-o-tron are (deep breath):

Torchlight, £3.75 (ace)
Blur, £10 (good, underrated, should probably be cheaper)
ArmA II, £10 (incredible if you have the patience to learn it. I don’t)
Empire: Total War, £10 (notorious)
Tropico 3, £7.50 (er. The first one’s good?)
DOW2 Gold, £13.60 (I really dig this, especially the Chaos Rising addon)
Machinarium, £3.75 (charming)
Burnout Paradise Ultimate, £7.49 (John loves it, I find it a bit sterile)

Those are, of course, objective and empirically proven judgments: 100% relevant to all humankind in every way and certainly not reflecting simply personal opinion. It would be ludicrous to claim that games journalism was ever anything like the latter. Ludicrous. Ludicrous.

Giftpacks are Freedom Force, Portal, Empire TW and Chaos Rising. The latter’s the one I’d suggest you all get together on for multi-fun.

If none of those take your fancy, might I direct your attention to Direct2Drive – one in five of all orders made is free. So if you buy a game from them, you have a 20% chance of getting it for free. Is that right? I’m terrible at maths.

So that Black Friday stuff, hey. What did you buy? I bought a pint of beer and some paracetamol, but not in that order before you judge me.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. skinlo says:

Ah, better than yesterday, but I’m still waiting for Bioshock 2!

• KindredPhantom says:

Collectors edition for £10 when you apply the RP5 code to get £5 off your first order.

Mine arrived today and it is an absolute bargain.

• Mistabashi says:

BS2 is available retail for less than £10, although I don’t think it’s a very good game…

• KindredPhantom says:

Yes, but this is the Collectors edition.

• Ted says:

Save your money, no matter how much they discount it, Bioshock 2 is overpriced. Complete piece of crap cheap cash in attempt.

• Basilicus says:

Huh. I thought BS2 was far better than the first. The characters were more fleshed out and had real stories, you were given more meaningful choices, the level design often allowed multiple approaches, and – most importantly – it didn’t crib its entire first half from Irrational’s previous System Shock 2.

2. Deston says:

I already have two copies of World of Goo on Steam – I bought two because it’s just that god damn awesome, and it makes me very happyface. :-D

Looks like I’m about to get a third…

3. Vinraith says:

Burnout Paradise is great, but was half that price in the Christmas sale last year.
    Empire is shit, and completely obsolescent in the face of Napoleon: TW anyway.
    Torchlight is lots of fun, but does lack co-op.
    Tropico 3 is a good time, especially with the expansion. That’s a great price for it, too.
    DoW2 is more fun that I expected, and that’s a better price than I’ve seen the gold pack at in the past. Be aware that no one plays Last Stand anymore, though. (Edit: Or maybe they do and GfWL matchmaking is just shit… )

Can’t speak to the others. I’d have probably picked up Blur if it were cheaper, but $10 is my limit for Steam purchases. I’ve got Arma 2 around here somewhere, but haven’t yet found time to play it.

• smiggs says:

Burnout is less than a fiver on Zavvi so unless you have an allegiance to Steam or an allergy to boxes, the steam price ain’t much of a bargain.

• Vinraith says:

@smiggs

It’s a good point. Really one should always check digital retail (Amazon, GoGamer etc) before buying a “sale” game off Steam, frequently you can get a real copy for cheaper than the Steam one.

• DrGonzo says:

I play Last Stand a lot and never have any trouble finding a game. Odd.

• Vinraith says:

@DrGonzo

Really? Crap, maybe there’s something wrong with GfWL matchmaking on my end then. I’ve literally never been able to find a game, or indeed any evidence that anyone plays that mode anymore. I’m glad to hear it’s still getting some use, it always sounded like fun.

• DrGonzo says:

My experiences with Gfwl Live would suggest you could well be right. If not, I’m UnbentCharlie in game, add me and if our paths ever cross I would be happy to have a game with you. It is a massive grind though. There are definitely tactics involved, but mostly just grind.

• Vandelay says:

Don’t know about Last Stand, but I only recently got DOW2 and couldn’t find anyone playing free for all on multiple occasions. Was hoping to play some in the hope that it would be a bit easier to get into then going straight for 1v1s or being the weak link in 3v3 games, but, alas, I had to battle my way through the usual run of white washes that comes with playing a multiplayer RTS

Really should put more time into it. Steam says I have only played 8 hours, but I did really enjoy it, particularly after getting a few wins in 1v1. Just too many good games around at the moment.

• Sassenach says:

DoW2′s last stand probably represents most of my time spent in the game (thanks to my cowardice in regards to standard multiplayer). I find that you get as much grind out of it as you are expecting. If you go in thinking ‘oh well, better get to at least wave 12 with my boring standard build so I can get a bit closer to that glorious level 20′ then it’s going to be incredibly tedious. If you are trying to get the most out of a particular build and playing it for fun then it will stay fairly interesting, although trivial early waves are unhelpful.

I did get a game of last stand going just now, it seems to take longer then it did before, but I did manage to get a game after a minute or two of searching. Games for windows live has never really been problematic in regards to DoW2, just very mediocre.

• Vinraith says:

I spent most of my time with DoW2 playing the campaign in co-op, for the record. It plays markedly differently than the multiplayer, far more like a tactical RPG than an RTS in many ways, I’d highly recommend giving it a try.

• Caleb367 says:

Hey, Empire’s not that bad, especially if you add Darthmod (which exists in two flavors and has a ton of updates: a basic one reworking balance and especially AI, another which also adds a ton of unique units, special effects – like smoke spreading from gun and cannon fire, obscuring unit vision and giving away positions if hidden- rebalanced economy etc.)
      ArmA2′s raw awesome in digital form, but needs time and dedication to learn, and I must say, in-game tutorials are mediocre at best, giving very basic and often incomplete info (example: didja know you CAN control altitude on a UAV? Pretty good, especially when you laser-mark anti-air sites for your Apache, ain’t it? Too bad the tutorial forgets to tell this little bit)
      DoW2, well, meh. Played that and Chaos Rising, but you know what. I still prefer Dark Crusade. WAY better. Especially with that nasty Firestorm Over Kronus mod.

4. Oak says:

Any fan of city-builders should own Tropico 3.

• Simon Dufour says:

El Presidente!!! You’re absolutely right!

*dance on some tropical island music*

Everybody loves El Presidente!

• The Dark One says:

Why, yesterday’s Cities XL deal should have been enough to satisfy any fan of this genre.

• Archonsod says:

CitiesXL is Sim City style building. Tropico is closer to the old Impressions way of doing them.

Plus, CitiesXL doesn’t allow you to order the execution of people who refuse to accept your glorious and enlightened rule.

Oh, and Tropico 3 is pretty much a true sequel to the first Tropico. Anyone who played it will be right at home. Anyone who didn’t should report to their nearest government centre for re-education.

• Gritz says:

I’ve never heard anyone say anything good about CitiesXL, but Tropico 3 is one of the best examples of the city building genre I’ve played in years.

5. Ricc says:

Why are 50% of the Steam muppets always grumpy?

6. Shadrach says:

VVVVVV and World Of Goo is worth the price of the pack alone. Eufloria is definitely an interesting game, but gets repetitive quickly.

If you don’t already have Machinarium; there’s no excuse now!

I’m getting Arma2 Operation Arrowhead, been thinking about it for some time anyway…

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, this actually reminded me Machinarium existed. One demo later, one more copy sold. It’s an adventure game! Some of the control issues a horrendously Flash-limited and throwbacks to the bad parts of early Sierra games (“You’re not close enough”), but it’s otherwise a bone-fide adventure, with inventory/environment puzzles and everything. (Well, except dialogue trees perhaps, but Legend of Kyrandia 1/2 managed without.)

• luminosity says:

Eufloria is the perfect game to play while reading something on your other monitor, since most of it is waiting for sufficient troops to spawn. Relaxing, though.

• stahlwerk says:

I bought Machinarium, and just finished it, steam says in 4 hours. I had definitely worse experiences for 1 € per hour. Good game. They really celebrate adventure game logic, with the tongue firmly in cheek, especially in the second to last puzzle.
      Sometimes I pushed buttons and turned dials without really knowing what I was looking to achieve, but those puzzles were few and far in between. My favourite moment was with a certain air conditioning apparatus, although I felt a bit sorry afterwards, hope he’ll get better soon. :-S

7. mwoody says:

A recommendation for new Tropico 3 players, both the original and the expansion: play the campaign. I usually hate them, as in most games they feel linear and restrictive, opting instead for skirmishes. Here, though, the campaign is an unrelated series of extremely open-ended islands, with most missions consisting of a few random events and a set goal. Even if, like me, you usually ignore them, here the campaign should be your first and last stop.

And if you ignore my advice and just play skirmishes, don’t you dare do what I’ve seen countless others do in the past: complain that the game is “too easy” when all you’ve done is screw around in what is essentially sandbox mode.

• Torgen says:

I second this. Sandbox mode is really easy. The campaigns, however, will make you work for the win.

• Archonsod says:

The campaign is decidedly awesome.

The problem with the sandbox is that it’s as hard as you make it. If you pick all the +tourism traits for el Presidente, design a perfect tourist paradise island and then focus your economy on tourism then it’s going to be easy, because you’ve pretty much ensured this will be the case. Take an ugly, paranoid military dictator and try and build a tourist hotspot on what amounts to little more than a volcanic rock miles from anywhere on the other hand and it’s hard.

But then the entire point of the sandbox mode is to set your own goal …

• Oak says:

I don’t see that as much of a problem. Easy doesn’t necessarily mean boring. There’s a lot of pleasure to be had in sculpting a little tourist paradise without having to worry about weak industry and violent uprisings.

But yes, the campaign is strong. The time travel scenario (Back to the Past?) in Absolute Power is pleasingly ridiculous.

8. Bhazor says:

The clever pack is worth it for Iron Grip alone. Such a strange team shooter that seriously deserves some RPS coverage already.

Also it has the most satisfying minigun in the world.

• DrGonzo says:

I bought it ages ago on the cheap. Sounded like a great idea. Essentially first person co-op tower defence. But I just can’t get along with it.

• noom says:

Really enjoyed the demo of Iron Grip. Does it actually have an active playerbase though..? If somebody can tell me it does I’ll almost certainly pick it up.

• iLag says:

@noom: just played it this morning, lots of populated servers around. Apparently you don’t need a full server anyway to enjoy the game, since the number and strength of enemies scales with how many human players there are. Definitely worth playing, I daresay.

• Conor says:

Quite a nice number of populated servers around. Maybe we could all team up and go RPS on the bad guys with our towers and our guns and our bare hands.

• jeremypeel says:

As I now own this, I’d definitely be up for a bit of communal RPS hand-fighting. Or whatever.

9. JB says:

Just to clarify, it’s Arma 2: Op Arrowhead, not original Arma 2. It’s a standalone product, which is nice.

• Unaco says:

Both of them are at 50% off… or £10. Also, Combined Operations is 50% off as well, £15 for both ArmA2 and OA. I did post this, put the post seems to have disappeared.

• choconutjoe says:

The DLC is 50% off too.

10. Simon Dufour says:

Will buy another indy pack. 3 in 3 days.. and there’s still the rythm pack that I want too.

11. DMJ says:

Curse you, Steam. Curse you!

12. Hodag says:

10 pack of Freedom Force for less than $8…My friends and I will be having a 1950s heroic Christmas.

• Simon Dufour says:

That’s a good idea!

• Wulf says:

If you play Freedom Force, you simply must create some bizarre, out there hero. You must, it’s imperative. There are few things funnier than marching a rainbow Tyrannosaurus Rex in against a bunch of stereotyped Russians, having them see it, and yell “Look, capitalists!

13. stahlwerk says:

Now I’m O:FP-CWC and ArmA complete. Feels good. :-D
    Love these games to death.

14. Edawan says:

I’m getting the Indie Pack (mainly for VVVVVV) and I’m considering getting DoW2 as well…

• zipdrive says:

if you want to get just the main game, I’ll split the price with you, as I only want the expansion.
      Contact me at zipdrive1[@]gmail[.]com

15. noobnob says:

So far, bought the Clever and Story packs on Steam, and Alpha Protocol on GamersGate. There are too many good deals, and this isn’t even the Christmas sale…I have to draw a line somewhere or I’ll end up spending a couple hundred on games.

16. Kua says:

Phew. There’s nothing I want to buy today.

17. Chris K. says:

Buy buy buy. Is that all I do?

Oh yeah, and I play lots of K.O.L.M. awesomeness: http://armorgames.com/play/7446/kolm

Comeon RPS, post wisdom about K.O.L.M. I know you will, just wondering WHEN.

18. Colthor says:

“Happy now? ARE YOU?”

Do the hokey-cokey! Go on!

19. Ganders says:

Any more people who can vouch for Iron Grip? It looks good.

• DrGonzo says:

Well, I thought it was awful. But I saw lots of people in game who were really enjoying it. And it is very cheap I suppose.

• Archonsod says:

It can be a little off putting initially but it’s pretty good, especially at that price.

It’s a mix of tower defence and the survival mode from L4D. Essentially, you have a base which you need to defend against endless waves of enemy troops, and the odd vehicle. You earn power which can be spent either upgrading yourself or buying new weapons, or constructing defences, traps or similar support structures.
      The maps are interesting, most having at least two levels (i.e. they’ll attack through the sewers as well as the streets) the enemy will use to assault the base. The mechanic works well too – both sides have a morale bar which drops a tiny bit every time someone on that side dies. If your base is destroyed, your morale plummets until you rebuild it. The enemy on the other hand send in officers. If you kill the officer, their morale plummets until a new one arrives. The officer is a tough opponent and the AI is pretty smart with them, for example if you’re putting up a solid defence it’ll tend to hide the officer to force you to weaken your line to hunt him down (and you need to ensure you can deal with him if you find him, because it’s also smart enough to keep him moving around too)

The only real downside is replayability. The attacking columns have about three or four routes they’ll use on each map, while you’ll get the odd soldier or six wandering off on a different route, and the occasional breakaway team who’ll try a more sneaky approach, once you’ve learned the attack routes it makes it a bit more grindy since it’s usually a matter of chucking up enough defences to hold off the columns while you go officer hunting. The strength of each wave and it’s precise makeup does vary which can keep you on your toes, but absent human control of the attackers it eventually does get repetative.

For the price though it’s still a fair whack of gaming content, and it’s perfectly playable in single player as much as it is multi.

20. Mac says:

Hoping for Chaos Rising on its own for around £5

21. Dominic White says:

Highlight of todays sales isn’t super-cheap, but it’s the best in its field by far.

ArmA 2: Combined Ops http://store.steampowered.com/app/33960/ & The British Forces addon http://store.steampowered.com/app/33960/ both 50% off. If you like military sims at all, this is THE one to own. There’s absolutely no competition.

• Eschatos says:

Sweet, now I can feel superior to my CODBLOPS playing roommates. No healing from hiding behind a crate in this game!

22. Little Tohya says:

I can’t believe there are still people to sell Torchlight to, that don’t already own it (And are interested in Diablolikes, natch).

Chaos Rising for £13.60 is a great deal, the other game it comes with is okay too. The indie pack today looks good, too.

• Sassenach says:

This may be a silly question, but is Torchlight enjoyable beyond wanting to accumulate more loot, and would anyone care to venture an explanation as to why?

• Archonsod says:

There’s sufficient randomisation in dungeons and quests to keep things interesting, alongside the more fixed plot element. There’s some good persistent mechanics like the ability to make heirlooms for future characters, and just enough variety in skills, weapons and enemies to keep the combat side of things from becoming boring.

• Arathain says:

I really like Torchlight. The skill trees allow for a lot of different builds in each class, so I don’t have a problem with the variety.

23. Buemba says:

Does anybody know if you can gift a game you already own after buying one of the indie packs?

• Vinraith says:

That’s very unlikely, giftable pack games are a rarity on Steam, and always specified as part of the advertising for the pack.

• Gabe McGrath says:

No, you can’t.

When you are about to confirm the purchase, it says “Please note that you already own (Game 1, Game 2, etc) and the extra copies are not giftable”.

You can’t have 92% off the price AND give the extras to friends who therefore, will not need to buy them.

24. SvDvorak says:

If you buy ArmA 2 Combined Ops or just Arrowhead, then I highly recommend to play with us RPS ArmA players (we have our own server). Check out this thread for more info:
    Skill does not matter as long as you’re friendly and eager to learn!

25. Sander Bos says:

For those of us who betray the one true gaming platform and also have an Xbox 360, note that they have some black friday deals as well. I got a whole bunch, and can recommend ‘Splosion Man’ and ‘Trials HD’.
    Trials HD was kind of a surprise to me. I thought it would be the same as the PC version (I got it for the user generated levels, but it appears there is not like a real market for those). But Trials HD has the same basic mechanism/ controls as Trials Second Edition, but with different graphics, different levels (at least more different than the same ones), different obstacles, multiple bikes, really a different game.

• Wulf says:

I’d get them if they ever turned up on the PC, otherwise… meh. Vegetating in front of a console box in a comfy chair has become increasingly less my style. It was worth it when there were huge, console only games that were worth having (like Okami), but these days… less so.

(Though I will admit to being guilty at having the odd crack at the PS3 for Ratchet & Clank, and flOwer. But I’m never going to touch a 360.)

• Dominic White says:

“I’d get them if they ever turned up on the PC, otherwise… meh. Vegetating in front of a console box in a comfy chair has become increasingly less my style”

Why you gotta be elitist against comfy chairs? I’m sprawled out on a sofa right now. My monitor is an HDTV, and my mouse/keyboard are wireless.

PC gaming has never been cozier.

• Henke says:

Thanks for the heads-up Sander Bos! :D

26. Lambchops says:

I missed the first two days of this due to having to get my bank card replaced. However it’s probably just as well as I’d rust have been tempted to buy Reccateer, despite the fact I tend not to like that sort of dungeon crawlery gameplay anyway. 4 quid saved methinks!

Some of the indie packs have been tempting, but I already tend to have the games I’d want out of them already and don’t see the point in spending the money for a few okayish titles I’m not going to have time to play.

27. Basilicus says:

What do folks think about the Warhammer Dawn of War pack. I’m not too familiar with the Warhammer lore, but I always thought the game itself looked interesting and there’s a dearth of both solid RTS games and tactical RPGs these days. I tend to be a single-player only kind of guy – is it worth the $13 investment and is there a serious plot to throw myself into?

Thank you in advance to those more knowledgeable than I!

• Sassenach says:

There is a demo of DoW2, I believe, that lets you try out a few levels of single player that if I recall were fairly representative of the full experience (save for lacking some of the more egregiously tedious bosses, who appear late in the game). I myself didn’t like the full game as much as relic’s previous RTS games, but I hardly represent a consensus on this matter.

• Archonsod says:

Put it this way, the main complaint I have with the game is that it reverted to a silly linear campaign with scripted boss fights and missions, rather than the wide open strategic campaign of the final two DoW expansions.

So yes, it has a strong story element and Chaos Rising adds not only another campaign (which lets you carry your character over IIRC) but an interesting corruption mechanic to increase re-playability. You’ve also got the skirmish mode against the AI if you feel like something different too.

• Bascule42 says:

For $13 its a pretty good deal.

• Luke says:

Very immersive. It nails what being a Space Marine is supposed to be about I.e some form of zealous order of super enhanced Avatars rather than a bloke in a space suit like the Terran marines, fighting hordes (really, properly, hundreds of monsters to your 20 or so) with guns that spit explodey death and chainsaws that rend mountains of flesh. Gameplay is pretty repetitive but I was sufficiently engrossed, and the presentation and polish is sufficiently slick and bombastic so as to not care. It’s not much of a game in that sense, that aspect is fairly minimal, but it is an excellent experience if you like 40 k stuff.

The Multiplayer is very enjoyable game wise though, but much more standard RTS fare and really quite different from the campaigns.

28. Grey says:

Thanks guys I wanted eufloria (watching it since it was dyson ;))

And I even got 4 more games for a very nice price^^

29. noobnob says:

Oh yes, GamersGate has a huge sale as well, and it has some of the same offers from the previous 2 days of sales on Steam, in case you missed them – Alpha Protocol, Deus Ex collection and Batman: AA.

30. 8-bit says:

sorry I don’t see the point in this, I mean at this point everyone already owns a copy of world of goo so why is it on sale yet again?

• bob_d says:

It’s part of a bundle. This way, they can sell everyone two copies.

• Ricc says:

Adding World of Goo to a game bundle is like adding a paper napkin to a cocktail, at this point.

• LionsPhil says:

If you think that’s bad, who on Earth is the Portal multipack for? Does literally anyone know five people who all want to even slightly play Portal yet missed out on it being given out for free for about a week during the huge PR hoo-hah about Steam for Mac and haven’t bought it in the meantime?

• adonf says:

I bought the indie pack just for World of Goo (and V* too). I never bought it before or even played the demo due to lack of free time to play games, so this sale was perfect for me.

31. Bascule42 says:

I hadn’t. Heard a lot about World of Goo, just never got a round to picking it up. I grabbed the “clever” pack. Lovin it. Eufloria is an interesting take on the RTS theme.

32. ROFLGASM says:

If anyones got an extra empire total war ill take it :DDD
    Steam id: ROFLGASM
    ID PICTURE: narwhal
    Email: iseestarz141@aol.com
    *not to be a beggar just asking cause its a big pack deal :D*

33. Hunam says:

With ArmA2:OA was a little bit cheaper to be honest, just sitting outside the impulse buy range.

34. malkav11 says:

I keep buying ARMA II, yet I have never so much as installed it and doubt I will actually enjoy that level of fiddliness. I must have some kind of sickness.

• Dominic White says:

It’s surprisingly not-fiddly once you actually play it. Don’t be put off by apparently every key on the keyboard being bound to something. For the most part, you’ll not be using anything beyond the standard FPS control set. Even helicopters and tanks use the same standard WSAD + mouse layout. It’s pretty intuitive, but also very powerful and flexible.

• malkav11 says:

Everything I’ve heard suggests there’s a steep learning curve and a great deal of simulation of real world details that sounds good on paper but would probably just frustrate me – like dying from being shot once.

35. Evil Otto says:

You can also see what games have been won by people who put them on their wishlist now. I feel terribly sorry for the guy who won the Sniper: Ghost warrior DLC. http://store.steampowered.com/get/

36. MD says:

Machinarium, £3.75 (charming greatest game ever. Also, charming.)

37. Nero says:

Yay, I got most of the games from this day so today I can keep my money.

38. Coins says:

The EVE community is rather friendly, I must say. Quite a break from others MMO’s!

39. patricij says:

Oh darn….I meant to grab Deathspank but forgot and went to a party…!!!!§ Nevermind, saved me some cash

• MrTambourineMan says:

How are you supposed to save money at a party?

• Wulf says:

You’ll be laughing when it gets bundled for free with Thongs of Justice.

• patricij says:

MrTambourineMan:
      it wasn’t too much about drinking…more about talking with friends and a girl I’m growing increasingly fond of and which I hope to get to know better…which would be worth of bazillion Deathspanks

Wulf:
      Yup, I can wait a bit for some bundle deal..and then I’ll LAUGH like an evil genius.

40. WaveOfMutilation says:

I’m sold on the indie bundle but I’m sitting on the fence with Arma II and I’m hopping someone might be able sell it to me, so to speak.

• Lilliput King says:

Hopping on a fence isn’t recommended.

• lePooch says:

Watching someone play it the other day made me so confused. This looked like an FPS, but played so weirdly.

When you are working carefully, acting like someone who actually cares about his life(and in the game!), you seem to be able to have what I would call a great simulation. You have to understand you are not some tiny god down to help the mortals turn the tide of battle. You are as worthless as the next guy in your squad.

Personally, it did not appeal to me, because I want to be a tiny god of battle, but I would assume that getting together with other Arma II players and being a real life simulo-squad, before eventually all dying in a hail of gunfire from a MG nest, would be the way to go.

Also: knowing Arma II, there probably IS a button labeled ‘hop on/off fence’.

• Dominic White says:

“Also: knowing Arma II, there probably IS a button labeled ‘hop on/off fence’.”

There’s a ‘hop OVER fence’ button. No on/off, though.

• patricij says:

gett off my bloody fence!

41. terry says:

I already have those indie games, but strangely don’t feel clever about it :-(

I got Blur, which is Mario Kart with neon essentially. I think this game would have been a huge success if it had featured scouse Mario characters.

Edit: That reminds me, just for Alec – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szvFN6P9slg

42. Vanderdecken says:

I like the idea of these one-line reviews in the Steam sale posts. Moar pls.

43. Nova says:

I always was a bit skeptical concerning the stories about GFW Live, but now that I bought DoW 2…

You need a Live ID to save. Hm ok, at least I can use my old hotmail account.
    Fill in the data, save my email and password.
    GFWL needs to update, OK. Downloading and it restarts DoW2.
    I am not logged in and my login data have not been saved.
    Fill it in again – loading Profile. GFWL needs to update. Oh I thought I already did this…?
    Downloading and restarting the game. Ah, I’m not logged in and I have to fill in the live ID again.
    Loading profile, GFWL needs to update… Yeah right. That is the moment I start to suspect that it’s looping and always installs the same update again and again.
    Well, restart fill in the login details that have not been saved and… no update, yay!
    “Do you want to link your Live ID with a GamerTag?” Er, no don’t think so.
    Then please fill in your login details again. Huh?!
    Retrying it, but no it seems you need to do this even if GFWL never says so.
    OK, logging in again. Yes, link my ID with that Gamertag stuff… and a website opens up fill in a few things and continue.
    So maybe now… switch back to DoW 2 and of course type in your Live ID anew.
    Hah I’m logged in. “30 minutes played” says Steam, well not exactly what I would call played, but well.
    Oh and the name that Live automatically assigned me was “ScariestTuba1″.

44. Saiko Kila says:

To me the most helpful thing was that you can get higher on paracetamol mixed with beer. Well, it was implied only, but I’m smart so I got it.

45. Arathain says:

I’m always amazed by the quality of Alec’s Punjabi news. And he doesn’t even live there.