Wife And Two Squids: Octodad Again

By John Walker on November 26th, 2010 at 10:27 am.

But it's just a regular guy? I don't get it.

I’ve heard this terrible rumour. Apparently there are one or two readers who didn’t download Octodad when Quinns posted about it two weeks ago. Well, look, we’re giving you a second chance. There’s a new trailer, packed with in-game footage, and we’re asking you to watch it, apologise, then download it. In case it’s unclear, it’s a game about an octopus pretending to be a human, a husband, a father of two. But it takes a really original approach to that tired old cliche. See below.

There, right, so download it here.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Rinox says:

That video is awesome.

2. Unaco says:

People haven’t played this yet? They were in Hospital being declared clinically dead for 2-3 minutes, or a Taliban jail at the time it was first mentioned by Quinns, right? Right? That’s the only possible explanation.

• phlebas says:

Or possibly they tried three or four times to download it and got a corrupt or missing file every time. That could have happened.

• JonWood says:

My excuse is that my gaming machine has been dead for the last few weeks, and I only just got paid.

Tomorrow, I will play this.

• chiefnewo says:

Or they watched the video and went “Oh god, the horrible inability to control your own movements is the game, isn’t it? No thanks!”

• Dominic White says:

People with no sense of humor (anyone who gets grumpy at seeing how.. squiddly the controls are is a boring, boring person) need not apply.

• KillahMate says:

Or yes, possibly some people tried to download it multiple times and got a corrupt file each time and finally gave up.

• Mad Hamish says:

man people get so defensive. I didn’t download it becasue I didn’t watch the video. But I’m certainly downloading it now. It looks both hilarious and original. I will play it after the korean girl knife fight.

• Superbest says:

To those with issues downloading the game, there is a torrent of v1.06. I don’t know how to add torrents to public trackers, but below is a mediafire link.

I hope the creators don’t mind. Also supplying a torrent on the download page might benefit everyone quite a bit, devs!

3. Lars Westergren says:

I got stuck on “cleaning out the fridge” part. No matter where I positioned Octodad or how I moved the mouse, the game insisted on moving the tentacle to only the upper shelf.

4. UW says:

If you hold down right click while moving his tentacle you can control it vertically, I think. There is definitely some way to move it down.

Incidentally, did you check the items in the fridge? One of them was a “Can-opener in a can”! This game is so fantastic.

I loved everything about it except how short it is. I would gladly pay good money for a longer version of this game.

Oh, also:

I KNOW YOUR SECRET OCTOPUS! I’M COMING TO GET YOU!

5. blah says:

For some reason I’m getting a Normality vibe from watching the video, and that’s a good thing…

6. mod the world says:

I’m so sorry! I was just so busy with uni, girlfriend and thinking about x-mas presents! I really tried to play it when you mentioned it last time but i was so tired after 18 hours of work. :(

I will download right now!

7. Rich says:

What! How dare you/? I don’t come here to be told what games to play, I come here to look at the pretty pictures and search for articles with swear words in them.

8. Dreaded Walrus says:

“what weed that girls was smoking that married octopus and strangely enough they had a normal kid, this game just beyond me. what devs was thinking when made this game. ”

One of the comments on the Gametrailers website.

9. Mashakosha says:

While I didn’t play it, I watched a friend stream it and it was abso-friggin-lutely hilarious. Can’t be bothered downloading it though, as all the fun would be taken out of it.

10. JB says:

I’m so sorry. I really am. Can we talk about it? Please?….Oh, ok then.

I’ll just go and download it now. I promise.

I meant to do it last time, I really did.

*sob*

11. The_B says:

I feel it’s also worth mentioning again: GAMEFACE!

12. Foxfoxfox says:

I liked how right after cleaning the floor Octodad simply drops the mop immediately and wildly swerves around until vaguely facing the sink.

This is actually how I do housework as well, but because I am very, very drunk, as opposed to an octopus.

13. Subject 706 says:

He was so trying to slip a tentacle up that womans skirt! FILTHY OCTOPUS.

14. Gundrea says:

What repeated four billion times.

15. Brumisator says:

:’( I thought we get to play MORE octodad.

16. LionsPhil says:

Because games about broken controls are annoying, not fun?

I mean I love the vein of humour running through it, and the videos are smirkworthy, but like hell I want to actually try to play that.

17. Mike says:

What a title pun. That thing should be framed and hung on the RPS office wall. Bravo!

18. NecktieGrins says:

The controls made me weep uncontrollably.

And then control uncontrollably.

Then uncontrollably uncontrollably.

19. DMJ says:

Put on your game face and play this game.

20. JuJuCam says:

I didn’t find the controls all that frustrating.

Anyways are there meant to be cutscenes here or what? I just get blank white nothingness till I click. It means I work out the story backwards from the gameplay, which is kinda cool that it’s even possible to do that, but I’d like to see the awesome writing they’ve surely put into this awesome game.

• PTibz says:

Cutscenes are usually there, but if the video player we use crashes we just show a white screen instead of letting the entire game crash like it used to. Better to continue playing than get kicked out. We’re currently looking into better solutions.

• Dao Jones says:

PTibz, that is a great way of getting around a crash. Very impressive! :)

21. EthZee says:

I’d play it but my laptop can’t run it. I am therefore excused.

22. Joflar says:

Haha, looks brilliant. Reminds me a little of Minotaur China shop.

23. lethu says:

I have no excuses, simply missed that Quinns’ post about this, but I will confess that when I watch Octodad slide on the ground leaving traces of ink behind on the floor in this funny manner, I feel oddly well, as if I was looking myself in what should be my natural form. Maybe one of my grand grand grandfathers was an octodad…

24. neinei says:

Saw the post, downloaded, played it, finding it okay. Fun-ish, nothing special, kinda meh.

25. edwardoka says:

OCTO-DAAAAAAAAD!

26. Lambchops says:

A little bit of me is going to die inside as I write a vaguely sensible reply instead of humorous quip in relation to a game where you play about an Octopus.

I can see why people don’t want to play it based on the controls, however it isn’t actually the controls that are the problem. Playing an incognito Octopus is supposed to be awkward and they’ve actually done very well in that they’ve made the controls awkward but not overly frustrating (as shown by the fact I never actually failed a task). However what does make it a somewhat annoying experience as a game is the camera, which is just horrid. I spent much more time wrestling with the camera than the controls which isn’t a good thing.

That said as a piece of entertainment it’s a great concept, charming, humorous and thoroughly enjoyable and as such I’d thoroughly reccommend giving it a go. Poor as a game overall but great, great fun.

Also GAMEFACE!

• Thants says:

I was thinking the same thing. The awkward controls make sense for this game, but there’s no reason why the camera should be so terrible.

27. Andthensobecause says:

Um, I feel its worth mentioning that the dude who wore the Octodad suit at the end of the original trailer made some rather satisfying Real Life Octodad videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhDJGIVATa0 – walking a dog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YnGXhLsQ3A – grocery shopping

Caution on the volume level. Little bit of a static hiss.

28. Spacewalk says:

Why is there no “staring eyes” tag for this news post?

29. JackShandy says:

Damnit. I got almost all the way to the end, and then it crashed. Now it won’t open.

30. TheFlyingWooly says:

Just finished playing it.

Tis Awesome.

31. Igor Hardy says:

How dare they rip off Octaman!

32. Pmeie says:

Corrupt nooooooooo :<

33. xpreenc says:

Unless this game involves raping the wife to prove his manly prowess and ward off suspicion that way, I am not playing it.

• Me Not Logged In says:

One of these days, we’ll be able to have a cephalopod-related article appear on the web without someone making a joke about rape.

Who am I kidding? We’re not at the stage yet of anything appearing on the web without a rape joke.

Either way: cock.

34. CTA says:

The two best parts of this game were GAME FACE and the noises Octodad makes. Any of them, all of them, they’re all amazing.

35. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Call me a spoil-sport, but I’ll have to say no.

To the shoes and octodad.

36. adonf says:

Bookmarking this so I can play it later. It’s like a saturday-at-3-am-just-got-home-from-the-pub simulator, right ?

Comment on this story