The RPS Bargain Bucket: Overflowing

By Lewie Procter on November 27th, 2010 at 2:27 pm.

All of these deals are organically farmed, and humanely killed.
It’s that time of year, where everything is cheap and I am not allowed to leave my PC for more than 47 minutes, for fear of missing out on the next MEGABARGAIN. Please send food. All of the relevant digital distribution services have started fantastic sales already, for the giving of the thanks, and then after that the Christmas sales will kick off. All of the irrelevant ones have discounted Dark Void by 50% and that’s it. Keep your browser targeted at SavyGamer.co.uk to make sure you never miss out on any cheap games.

Steam Leak
Earlier in the week, the Steam sale lineup leaked (via THE COMPETITION), and so far it has accurately contained the contents of the last two days of sales. Only the indie bundles and gift packs got leaked, although a lot of the items that were in gift packs also received an individual discount too. Assuming that the leak is indeed accurate, here’s what will be on offer over the next three days of the Steam Sale:

These Indie Packs, if the same price as the previous ones, will be £3.99/€4.49/$4.99 each:
Indie Air Pack: Altitude, DogFighter, Flotilla, Gratuitous Space Battles, Plain Sight
Indie Pulse Pack: Audiosurf, Beat Hazard, Bit Trip Beat, The Polynomial, Rhythm Zone
Indie Puzzle Pack: Cogs, Droplitz, Puzzle Dimension, Shatter, Tidalis

Osmos 12-pack
Recettear: An Item Shop’s Tale 8 pack
Red Faction: Guerrilla 8-pack
Splinter Cell: Conviction 6-pack
Trine 8-pack
World of Goo 12-pack

Now, those of of a mathematical persuasion might have noticed that there are 13 gift packs listed, and they’ve only had 4 each day so far. Dominic White helpfully pointed out to me that: “The Recettear guys say that they’ve heard nothing about an 8-pack, and that the next planned discount they have on the game (other than this one happening now) is going to happen in December.” so perhaps Recettear appears on the leak erroneously. It would make sense, seeing as in the original leak formatting, it’s the only one to be missing a hyphen. Also, perhaps the leak is part of an elaborate prank by Valve, waiting til I included it in the bargain bucket, then changing everything to make me look silly. Then releasing Episode 3. Who knows?

Of that selection, there is a lot that is worth your attention. The indie bundles are a real highlight, each one has multiple games that I would call a great deal if they were available on their own at that price. Mount & Blade: Warband hasn’t seen a mega discount that I’ve noticed previously, so if you can find some people to share a 6-pack with, that would be an excellent deal. I heart Osmos quite a lot too, and it’ll no doubt be mere pennies per copy in a 12 pack. Last year GTA4 was a fiver, so I’d expect a similar discount on the expandalone chapters.

You still have a few hours to get today’s sale items too. Make sure to get the Indie Clever Pack and the beautiful Machinarium.

Age of Wonders Promo
You can get them individually for 30% off, or £8.32/€9.79/$12.97 for both games and the expansion to the second.
A man called Kieron once said “They’re some of my favourite turn-based strategy games of the last fifteen years”, and he was talking about these very games. I’m not quite sure what to say beyond that, since I’ve never ever heard of these games before seeing them go on discount at GOG a few minutes ago. I’ll link to the interview wot that Kieron bloke did with the Design Director, and then feebly trail off by asking you what you think of these games?

50% off everything at Telltale Store.
(Excluding Poker Night and Back to the Future)
They’re also giving you free international shipping when you spend $50 or more. They will be updating with a new deal each day, which is a little confusing, because I wonder whether later discounts will be better than 50% or not. Either they’ve blown their load early, or something you buy today might be cheaper later on. It includes not just downloads and shiny plastic disc version of games, but also merch and other gubbins like soundtracks, T-Shirts and posters.

Positech Winter Bundle – £4.81/€4.89/$5.99
Cliffsky’s Hatful of Hollow. Before he got all gratuitous up in here, he made some games called Rock Legend, Kudos, Democracy, Starship Tycoon and Planetary Defense, and now he bundled them all together for cheaps. A lot of indies could learn from looking at Cliffsky’s strong ideals about selling direct to your customers in addition to having your games on other outlets. If Valve got taken over by aliens, and decided NO MORE INDIES ON STEAM, it would impact him a lot less than some others. I’m looking forward to seeing Show Me The Games develop, although my research into whether the order that the games are shown in is indeed random is coming along pretty well, so far I’ve spotted a +0.067% tendency towards Democracy 2 being in the top 3, but it’s still inconclusive.

Direct2Drive stuff.
D2D have got a couple of different things going on. Firstly, there is a 1/5 chance that a purchase from them will be free. They’ve already given people their games for free 857 times since it started 4 days ago (fact fans can use that fact to work out that D2D have had 4,285 transactions in the last four days. Have they ever given out sales figures before?). In addition to that, they are sort of pricematching against Gamestop.com, GamersGate and Steam. If you buy a game from D2D, and on the same day it is available for less at any of those three places, you can get the difference back in store credit for D2D. The process is a bit of a hassle, you’ll have to submit a ticket with screenshot evidence of the cheaper price, but if you prefer D2D’s clientless installs, it’s a great way to avoid missing out on some of the great prices at Steam and GamesGate. Both offers are available until the 31st of December.
Update: D2D are saying that they will not match against promotional prices, including sale prices. Presumably they are only matching against prices that are the same as theirs. This is price match policy in name alone, and is utterly useless to anyone. Avoid. The T&Cs (which were not live when the promotion started) do say that they exclude promotional prices. I’m looking into it now.

Deal of the week
Super Meat Boy – £6.75/€7.25/$9.95
In addition to the aforementioned D2D stuff, they also have the best preorder price for Super Meat Boy. Steam is a little bit more expensive (£7.99/€9.39/$9.99), but also boasts exclusivity of the playable headcrab. I’ve already schooled the Xbox live community on what it takes to beat the meat, but I fully intend to get the PC version and kick all your asses on the leaderboards there too. You can read my review here, but all you really need to know is that it is easily one of the best pure platformers out there. From the instant you launch it, to the end of the credits, you can hear it screaming “I LOVE GAMES I LOVE GAMES I LOVE GAMES” until its lungs bleed. It’s a towering achievement for independent development, and pisses all over that horrible mess of a game called Sonic 4. Ed and Tommy are super heroes, rock stars and pioneers all rolled into one, and we should be terrified of whatever they are going to make next.

Also of note:
GamersGate sale
Impulse Sale

Remember to visit SavyGamer.co.uk for all the best gaming discounts. Especially on Monday, as it’s “Cyber Monday”, and lots of etailers will have mega sales starting.

__________________

« | »

1. shinygerbil says:

That picture is vaguely distressing.

2. Chris D says:

Just what is that thing in the picture? It appears to be meat-coloured but bread-shaped. If I had to guess I’d have to say it was a dismembered human upper leg. Still, it is 99% off.

• Gary W says:

Us Britishers love that sort of thing. We buy 10 of them, boil them up in a big metal pot until they’ve lost all the flavour and then serve them up with helpings of peas and mashed potato. The only thing you can taste whilst you’re eating it is the salt and pepper you’ve added.

• Rich says:

Ah, I see you attended the stereotype’s school for cookery.
      Incidentally, I believe the Americans are more partial to pot roast than most Brits. Here a joint like that would, foolishly, be roasted in an oven.

EDIT, as I’ve only just noticed: Peas and mashed potato with beef? Are you mad sir?

• Nesetalis says:

ugh, boiling a good piece of meat.. what a way to ruin it D:

• Gary W says:

But that guy’s dismembered leg tasted delicious.

OK, maybe I’ll try roasting the other one…

• stahlwerk says:

boil? roast? why not do both?

Also: Lara Croft for cheap, yay!

• DrGonzo says:

Strange, I’m also English, but we love good food. But then I’m from a foodey family. People used to freak out walking into our garage and seeing all the hanging pheasants carcasses. Fun Times.

• Gary W says:

Still, you can’t deny there is a grain of truth in this. For example, when I was a boy, the local restaurant used to serve us boiled whelks from a dustbin lid.

• dadioflex says:

Gary – you were Stig of the Dump and that restaurant was a skip, right?

3. jeremypeel says:

“Make sure to get the Indie Clever Pack and the beautiful Machinarium.”

How do you know what I did this morning, Mr P? It’s making me UNCOMFORTABLE.

Otherwise I think I’ll be holding fire until that fantastic indie puzzle pack, I own too many of the others. Or maybe I won’t be. It’s getting really damn difficult to retain money during this period.

• Ziv says:

Same as me! also got torchlight since I haven’t played it yet and for this price it seemed like a bargain.

• jeremypeel says:

Ha – I was considering Torchlight, but my recent attempt at Dungeon Siege is causing me to reflex gouge the eyes out of anyone who says “action-rpg” at the moment.

• malkav11 says:

Torchlight is 300,000% better than Dungeon Siege. Just saying.

• PleasingFungus says:

I preferred Dungeon Siege to Torchlight (beat DS, never got more than 2/3rds of the way through Torchlight), but that’s probably because I’m a soulless monster.

Also, because I was quite a lot younger when I played DS, and had more tolerance for that sort of thing.

But mostly the soulless monster bit.

• mejobloggs says:

Same here. Loved dungeon siege, hated torchlight

• jeremypeel says:

Did you play Dungeon Siege with other humans? I wonder whether that was my mistake, not to do that. It’s just streamlined to the point of absolute boredom, I found. No story, no character development tuning to match that of ‘proper’ RPGs… what am I missing?

Swear at me if you must.

4. MarkSide says:

Thanks for keeping us abreast of the ongoing amazing monetary free-for-all!
    I got Beyond Good & Evil for £2 thanks to this site, and I have to say I haven’t been so blown away by a game’s humour and almost dizzying creativity since, like, Startopia or something.

5. DrugCrazed says:

I am likely to buy all of the indie packs. I hate you Valve.

Plus there’s always something good for £3.75 every day. I hate you Valve.

6. Giant, fussy whingebag says:

That D2D 4,285 transactions might just be an estimate, depending on how they do the 1/5 chance thing. If they give each purchase a random 1/5 chance, then it could be way off (but will be more accurate over time). It would be right if they are just making every 5th transaction free.

Still, it certainly is the best indicator we’ve ever had for their sales figures. Seems low, no?

PS Lewie, your link to the D2D 1/5 thing is broken – it thinks it’s page relative. Stick an http:// in there.

7. Rich says:

Surely it doesn’t mean they’ve necessarily had 4,285 transactions. The probability of a sale being for free is calculated per transaction and you have about a 1 in 5 chance. 857 people could’ve all been very lucky, or 1 million people could have been very unlucky.

8. Conor says:

Already posted this, but felt like posting it again, because it is jolly good and deserves more attention:

I bought the X Superbox on Gamersgate, and on a whim, tried to see if it registered on Steam.
    It did, much to my surprise!
    And it’s 10 pounds cheaper on GG as well!
    Moral of the story: If you want the X series on Steam, get it on Gamersgate.

• Lewie Procter says:

Is that optional or mandatory Steam registration?

• Conor says:

Optional. Once you buy the Superbox you go to my games, and beside one of them it says show key, for activating it once you’ve downloaded it from GG. Then I tried it on steam, and it worked there too. Which is good.

Explaining things isn’t really my strong point, as you can probably tell.

• radomaj says:

Indeed, X3: Terran Conflict is on the list.

• Nesetalis says:

pity they wont let you buy it in the US ;.; I would totally buy the X superbox

• Howard says:

That’s quite awesome, especially as I’ve just bought X3: TC from Gamersgate. Quick question though: now I have activated it on steam, will the standalone install from gamersgate work too or is that now void?

• iLag says:

@Howard: the GG install has nothing to do with the Steam install, so both installation options are possible

9. mqzpla says:

D2D 1 in 5 free promotion is only valid for credit card purchases.
    Osmos is indeed great. The demo seems too easy but it becomes much more difficult later in the game.

10. Daniel Calcei says:

The Indie Puzzle Pack is amazing. I own all of them and every one is great (with the exception of Droplitz, maybe.)

11. Rich says:

Impulse selling Gal Civ: Ultimate Edition for £0.64 is worth a shot for anyone who likes turn based 4X civ-like space games.

• Tusque d'Ivoire says:

How steep is the learning curve for Galciv I? I kinda like stuff like this, but am not sure how much time i’m motivated to invest in it to learn the game…

• Vandelay says:

If it’s anything like Gal Civ 2 then there isn’t really any learning curve. The game just throws you right into it without any guidance, bar a few tutorial videos.

Not that the second isn’t a great game and one I really should play some more of, but it really isn’t very good at teaching you the ropes.

• Archonsod says:

The first is a bit more story based IIRC, but if you can play Master of Orion it shouldn’t be too hard to figure out Gal Civ 1.

12. c-Row says:

This might have been an error, but the Telltale store offered me free international shipping despite ordering items for less than 50$. Well, who am I to complain? :)

13. Moth Bones says:

Must…stop…buying games…

Just added that Positech Bundle to the Indie Recettear Pack and Tropico 3 I bought earlier.

Speaking of Steam, when I’ve installed my recent downloads from them the desktop link doesn’t work, I have to start them from Steam itself. This isn’t the case with games I bought a while ago. Anyone else had this?

14. Basilicus says:

I just can’t get the Impulse client to download. It freezes every time. I really want to give them money. Any advice?

15. Alastair says:

Does Super Meat Boy re

• Alastair says:

Huh. Not sure what happened there I meant to say does Super Meat Boy require registration on Steam?

• pkt-zer0 says:

No, there’s a separate version without Steamworks (which obviously does not have the headcrab, leaderboards, or achievements)

• Alastair says:

Cheers.

16. Wilson says:

I’ve just been browsing D2D, and saw Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth on sale for £5.95 – http://www.direct2drive.co.uk/1/374/product/Buy-Call-of-Cthulhu:-Dark-Corners-of-the-Earth-Download.

At that price I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes the idea of a first person adventure game (there is combat and stealth too, and done quite well, but it’s the atmosphere which makes it worth playing IMO).

• Saiko Kila says:

There is combat, sure, but my main memory of this game is – running away from angry mob, looking for a gun. Or any substitute of weapon.

• Dominic White says:

There’s almost no combat for the first third of the game. Then they give you a tommy-gun and it all goes horribly downhill from there.

• Casimir's Blake says:

Absolutely worth it at that price, excellent game. However is it still impossible to complete due to that crushing bug?

• Gary W says:

I had trouble on the ship level about 3/4 of the way through the game — the one in which you have to shoot the blue lights with the deck cannon. My videocard couldn’t draw them for some reason, so I had to download another person’s saved game in order to continue.

That was a while back, though. Maybe it was fixed.

• DrGonzo says:

What Dominic said. But I would say it’s still worth it. That first third is terrifying and brilliant. Then it got so difficult I couldn’t get any further. Respawning enemies, maze like levels and very limited ammo made it rock hard.

• Chris D says:

I never finished it either but it’s still a great game, especially at that price. The best advice is to swallow your pride and play it on easy difficulty. (No, of course you won’t do that, I didn’t either, but that is what you’ll recommend anyone else does once you’ve played it.)

• Vandelay says:

If Casimir’s Blake is referring to the bit I think he is referring to, then that doesn’t come until right at the very end. I believe you can resolve it by lowering your resolution.

I did try and replay it recently, but ended running headlong into a bug. I was walking into a room and you lose control for second, as the camera snaps and zooms in on a hanging body. When control returned to me, I was stuck in a doorway and unable to go anywhere. Lost about an hour of play due to the rubbish save system and didn’t bother going back to it.

When it works though, it is a real masterpiece of suspense and tension. Probably one of the best gaming has to offer.

17. Twigg says:

Dragon Age: Origins – Ultimate Edition is on Impulse at the moment for £16.02. which is good if you don’t already have it …

• iLag says:

…or live in Europe/anywhere-else-that-is-not-America-land (oh wait, you can buy this in other countries? That’s nice. Still no luck in the Netherlands and possibly the rest of continental Europe. Boohoo, Impulse.) Which is funny, because Impulse even sent me an email for this specific promotion. Gee, thanks.

• thesundaybest says:

Crazy, I was just writing that. Which is $24.99 of my Canadian dollars.

18. ROFLGASM says:

If anyones got any extras left over from gift packs ill take whatever! being new to PC gaming and all :D, my steam id is roflgasm and the picture should be of a narwhal

19. A-Scale says:

These deals stink!

20. kastanok says:

Went and got the Positech Bundle, and spent a couple of hours clicking at Kudos. My virtual self isn’t doing much better than real me but has the same problem of rarely having enough money to keep up friendships. I’d still take his acting jobs, though.

21. Eddy9000 says:

It’s so neat to beat your meat while sitting on the toilet seeeeeeeeat!

22. Casimir's Blake says:

Well done Lewie. It does help when our hosts aren’t immediately putting us off by calling us idiots for not buying a game. Anyway the extended coverage is appreciated, and I’m very tempted by that Super Meat Boy pre-order. As I currently have Venetica and The Void keeping me suitably entertained and puzzled (hmm, which way around should that be?), I feel there’s still nothing else worth bothering with.

• DrGonzo says:

What do you think of Venetica? Wasn’t a big fan of the new Fable and it looks like it might be more what I was looking for.

• DJ Phantoon says:

Buy it. You will regret having not bought it when you run out of other games to play and it’s more expensive.

• Casimir's Blake says:

I said in RPS’s Venetica thread that there are probably better looking and playing RPGs out there. But the surprisingly decent British actors, the interesting female lead and story, and the pleasantly simple Severance-recalling hack-n-slash gameplay make it worthwhile. Oh, and it’s not full of middle-earth orc/ogre/elf/dragon bollocks.

23. Crumpled Stiltskin says:

I have 80 steam games and I do not think I have ever paid more than 10 dollars for any of them. Maybe HL2 a decade ago.

24. Phil H says:

And today’s Steam sale has been live for a few minutes, with the specific offerings being:

Left 4 Dead 2 for $5 USD
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare for $15
    Wings of Prey for $15
    Supreme Commander 2 for $3.75
    Galcon Fusion for $2.50
    King’s Bounty: Platinum Edition for $8.75
    Laura Croft and the Guardian of Light for $7.50
    Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City for $10.20
    Indie Pulse Pack (BIT.TRIP BEAT, Audiosurf, Beat Hazard, Rythym Zone, and The Polynomial – Space of the music) for $5

• BananaBungalow says:

GTA is the only thing tempting me.

• stahlwerk says:

I recommend Wings of Prey to everyone who feels a bit starved of good looking shooty-plane flightening games. The flight model can be switched from arcade (great with a 360 controller) to simulation to realistic (which I haven’t tried yet). But beware of additional DRM with so-and-so install limit.

• Mistabashi says:

John Walker had some pretty positive things to say about the Lara Croft game, seems like a steal at £5.

• Basilicus says:

That King’s Bounty price is a steal. Owning 2 already, I’m glad they also discounted each game individually. Also bought SupCom 2, as I’ve been looking for an old-school RTS fix.

Already owning Audiosurf and The Polynomial, I can say both games are worth investing in that Indie pack. Audiosurf will suck a lot of time from your life if you let it, and The Polynomial is a great game to zen out to after a bad day, particularly if you’ve got a supply of electronica or classical to load up under it.

• jeremypeel says:

Hmm, not sure about the Indie Pulse Pack. Always kinda intrigued by music-matching games, they seem to have a lot of potential to visit places I’d like to live. I already own Audiosurf, can anyone account for the others?

25. noobnob says:

Okay, dropping a fiver on Left 4 Dead 2, the only Valve game I didn’t have up to this date (bought the Complete Pack back in 2008). The rest can wait…

26. tigershuffle says:

Arma 2 complete with OpArrowhead is £14.99 on steam

just ordered standalone OA for £9.99 as ive already got Arma2

• utzelgrutzel says:

Arma 2 OA for 15€ or Combined Ops (incl A2) for 20€ directly from Sprocket:

27. Lewie Procter says:

Anyone who doesn’t get Lara, Supreme Commander 2, Left 4 Dead 2 or the Indie Pulse Pack at those prices is an idiot.

Also, anyone who does is an idiot.

We’re all idiots.

28. Malkar says:

Just a note: One of the people behind Recettear said they have no clue where the idea of an 8-pack came from, and they’ve had no contact with Valve about it. So if it does come out, it won’t be a huge markdown, and you’re an idiot for not getting it for five dollars in the indie bundle.

29. mwoody says:

Academagia, a text-based stat-raising game that supposedly plays like Princess Maker meets Harry Potter and was covered before on RPS, is on sale this weekend for $15 ($10 off). The only caveat I know is that you quietly get charged tax if you’re in North Carolina.

It’s on a ‘couple download services (not Steam) too, but they all seem to have remained at the normal price. So it’s “from the devs only” for this discount. The download system indicated I had one year to re-download the product. There’s 3 pieces of free DLC released so far; I assume they’re included in the patches.

I haven’t played it enough to recommend yet; just passing on the info for those waiting for it to dip into buy range.

• Bullwinkle says:

I’ll recommend it. It’s fantastic, and well worth the price. Plus, the devs have been constantly (i.e. every week) putting out free DLC, tweaks, and patches, and there’s more to come.

• A-Scale says:

A text based game for more than 5 dollars? You have to be kidding me.

• Vinraith says:

Sometimes I think A-Scale gets paid to go around and make statements like that so people like me will buy the game.

• Bullwinkle says:

Actually, Vinraith, I’ve noticed from your comments that you have very similar tastes as me in terms of games; I think you really would like this one.

• Vinraith says:

@Bullwinkle

I’m sure I would, I’ve been following this one since it was mentioned on RPS some time ago. Right now I just have way, way too many games to be able to justify a purchase, but it’s certainly something I intend to pick up when I can.

• Taillefer says:

It’s surprisingly good, but treat Academagia as an open beta.

I felt like it was unfinished (but the patches are frequent, as stated). Some feedback you’d expect to be included as common sense are missing. So you can’t prepare for many things properly unless you save/find out/reload. It’s fine at first, as you just play to enjoy the events and such. But once you want to start developing some strategy to your development, it’s suddenly more frustrating not to even know simple things like which exams are due (will be patched in).

Add to that, it only covers the first year at the academy. There’s still a lot of content there, generally well-written, and often charming. Huge amounts of options. But not being able to see all your choices, relationships, skills, and so on, develop until a satisfying conclusion at graduation nags a bit.

I can understand the original asking price being far too high for most to even consider. The sale price seems about right.

Also, it is now mod friendly.

30. Evil Otto says:

Do I need to get Supreme Commander 2?

• Lewie Procter says:

I certainly like enough enough to recommend it to anyone and everyone at that price.

• DrGonzo says:

I enjoyed it and the recent patches have improved it considerably. But go into it cautious and pessimistic. Then you can only be impressed.

• Tei says:

I loved the demo. But the full game let me cold. Theres something about the engine, that make the screen always blurry at all resolutions. Is a game that don’t want to be loved (or thats what feel to me). I see theres a good game somewhere (the demo proven that to me), but is not what I installed. Wierd.

• Thants says:

No, you need to get Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance. It’s much better.

• Cognitect says:

I have torn feelings about buying SC2. On one hand, I’d like to support GPG in the hopes they will one day create something even better than SC: Forged Alliance. On the other hand, purchasing SC2 – even if it’s on sale – would feel like I was sending GPG the wrong message.

If SC2 had been the first game in the series, I probably would’ve bought it and enjoyed playing it. But in their previous games, GPG gave us tantalizing glimpses of what RTSs could be like if you cranked the epic knob to 11. You just can’t set expectations so high and then come up with a watered down design like SC2 without making people feel betrayed.

In my dream RTS, earthquakes caused by a battle waged 50 kilometers away can severely damage an unprotected base and generate tsunamis in the ocean. In my dream RTS, I can zoom the camera out to a height of 200 km and watch as a beautiful, procedurally generated map covered in detailed, lush vegetation and cities is transformed into a battle-scarred hellworld in which only machines of war roam. In my dream RTS, megacannons blow 100 meter-wide holes through mountain ranges and a Tyrant-class experimental will calmly report it’s encountering “mild resistance” as it endures the radiation flux from a fucking gigatonne crustbuster detonation.

I’m not asking for too much, am I?

• Miguelese says:

At two and half squid why are you asking? For that matter why am I replying?

• Thermal Ions says:

@Cognitect: What’s the IP, and player limit on your dreams, I’d like to join.

31. DrGonzo says:

I’m really worried about Super Meat Boy. I’m all hyped up about it, but I was about World of Goo, Braid, PB Winterbottom and Limbo and didn’t enjoy any of them. They were all ideas that had been done before, better and for free in Flash. I have no soul.

• Lambchops says:

You sir, need a soul transplant operation!

Haven’t played Limbo but the rest are all utterley brilliant. Well Winterbottom wasn’t quite as strong but the presentation mostly made up for it.

I’m a lot less hyped about meatboy to be honest. I’ll still buy it but I think it will end up on the “too frustrating” side of the difficulty line that was so expertly stradled by VVVVVV.

• Tei says:

I doubt you can show links to where World of Goo and Braid has been done better and with more deep in flash games.
      Maybe you can provide some links to these?

• noobnob says:

If there is a game that uses the same concept as World of Goo and does it better, you ought to post it now. Right. Now.

32. dadioflex says:

Please, you have no idea.

I’m still coming down from the Amazon sale this week. Fifty quid Wii, fifty quid 360-Crap, fifty quid Flip Cam, and so much more…

Not ONE PC game.

No idea whose fault that is, I suspect Amazon but it’s not as if the sale was ill-advertised.

I bought bath bombs and TVs on top of the good deals. My Xmas shopping and karma is fully topped up.

I WILL eat the the next person that tells me I should have… I could have… I will just eat the next person I see, and not in a sexy way. I’ve lost about half a stone this week and “saved” maybe five hundred actual quid. Pointless but it beats working.

Stupid consumer toys.

How I love thee.

33. stahlwerk says:

I don’t know how I feel about COD4:MW(1) being 50% off and still €12,49. Over three years after release. And I bet it will be on the Steam Top Sellers list by tomorrow, anyway.

• Vandelay says:

Agreed. Ignoring the fact that I already own it, I don’t think that price is particularly tempting, especially as they have had two other COD games released since.

• stahlwerk says:

And there it is, on the “Top Sellers” list again, 3rd place (if that is actually ranked by sales), outselling CODBLOPS.

*plopp*

Someone, somewhere just opened a bottle of champagne, and simultaneously Bobby Kotick shot an albino elephant with a diamond bullet, each event masking the sound of decadence from the other.

• malkav11 says:

Yet, from everything I’ve heard, the campaign in MW1 is substantially better than those other two CODs. (I say from what I’ve heard because although I’ve played and thoroughly enjoyed MW1, I have not done MW2 or BO) . And $15 is about right for that campaign, I think.

34. 8-bit says:

I have no idea how good the pc version is but Nyxquest didn’t get the attention it deserved when it was released on wii being overshadowed by far inferior games imo, if I had the money I would buy it just to make sure other people got the chance to play it.

• Lewie Procter says:

I’ve just played the first level and feel pretty safe in saying that the PC version is superior for sure.

The controls are roughly the same, but it is much nicer looking on the PC. I always felt the Wii version looked too zoomed out, and you couldn’t see much detail in the foreground

The PC version is from the same angle, but because of the higher resolution it looks much nicer.

The backgrounds in this game are beautiful.

35. Urthman says:

Anyone up for splitting a pack of NyxQuest? Or if someone is looking for 10 people to give it to, I’d be grateful to be on your list.

36. Lambchops says:

Picked up Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light as my first purchase in the Steam sale. I was always going to buy it when a sale came round.

37. Buemba says:

Regarding D2D’s price match program, it doesn’t apply to temporary discounts like the ones Steam and Gamersgate are having.

I learned this the hard way when I bought The Ball on D2D for $19.95, filled their form with a link and screenshot for Gamersgate’s current sale of the title ($10.00) on the same day and got an e-mail saying I wasn’t eligible for the store credit.

• Lewie Procter says:

Well that’s terrible. What’s the point of that.

Edit: Could you forward your communication with them to me (address at the top of the post).

• Buemba says:

I deleted the e-mail, but I’ll send you a screengrab of the ticket details from their support page in a sec.

• Oak says:

If it’s any consolation, The Ball is worth its full price.

38. DJ Phantoon says:

So, any idea if Solium Infernum will ever be less than its current price? Ever? I’d like to play it but I’m not willing to part with 30 bucks for a game I will not play often in a best case scenario.

39. Lighthouse says:

Man I hate Direct2Drive. I’ve visited that site numerous times, especially during sales and something ridiculous – like 90% of their games are region restricted for Australians.

I was hoping to pick up Fallout: New Vegas for $30, but as usual they don’t want our money. One would have thought I would have learnt to avoid that site by now.

I continue to buy from Steam because they are one of the few outlets that actually sell to us – although some of their pricing is ridiculous – games bordering on $90-$100US.

• DrazharLn says:

Get foreign friends to gift to you?

• Thermal Ions says:

I can relate Lighthouse. D2D could have had a decent chunk of the money I spend through Steam if they really wanted it. I’ve no sympathy for them so therefore generally refuse to get regional restricted stuff gifted – I’ll simply wait for a special on Steam instead.

40. Clovis says:

I’ve bought quite a few PC and PS3 games over the last few days, but all I’ve been playing is the free Desktop Dungeons.

41. bill says:

I think past steam sales spoiled me, because I haven’t seen anything remotely tempting this sale. The big games aren’t as reduced as ones i bought in the past (Bioshock $5, Mirror’s Edge $5, King’s Bounty Free, etc..) and the indie packs don’t have enough games I REALLY want in one pack.

The first slightly tempting one is the Indie Pulse pack… but i’m on the fence about it.

42. stahlwerk says:

So, Sunday Deals are up, wot’s your thinking about them? The Ball for €8.99 is tempting, as is Street fighter IV for €10.20, yet they’re just slightly above my (somewhat spoiled) monetary pain threshold.

But the real star is Just Cause 2 8-pack for 75% off (~ € 6.30 per copy).

• Oak says:

That’s a good price for The Ball, and you should definitely play The Ball. Skip SFIV and buy Super on console, assuming you have one, since it’s apparently never coming to PC.

If Patrician IV is as good as III then that’s a steal too.

• mwoody says:

I’m interested in Street Fighter, but I can’t make myself buy it when Super Street Fighter is out. It’s such a kick in the balls that they released one but not the other on PC.

• Similar says:

I’d been hoping the Orange Box (yes, I know I’m a tad late there) would come on sale, so that was nice. The only other thing I’m vaguely interested in is Mount & Blade, but I’ve only heard about the MP side of it and I don’t play much MP, so I think I’ll skip it; I don’t have money enough to take chances.

43. Fear And Loathing In Los Krautas says:

Would anyone in the EUR or GBP zone be willing to gift a poor censorship oppressed German a copy of the uncut 5 EUR Left 4 Dead 2 game?

Seems gifted it is supposedly uncut, but if bought directly, it is cut.

Will paypal you 5.50 EUR back, just let me know your steam ID and i’ll add to friends.

• Fear And Loathing In Los Krautas says:

Turns out the sale ended after all, just lagged a bit.

Would still be interested in such a contact for the next sale, as GTA, Orange Box and L4D2 and and and are all censored for us Krauts.

Yes, one of the forerunners of the industrial nations&democracy and former home of Crysis makers(and Cannonfodder and various others, too, ahem) etc, censored as badly and worse as Australia.

Well done. *sigh* Half the steam sales are pointless due to “Low Violence” Editions.

• DrazharLn says:

Add me as a friend on steam (drazharln, current steam name: arsenicCatnip) and I’d be happy to help.

• dc says:

I had this kind gentleman help me yesterday with the Orange Box ->

Worked like a charm within minutes :) I’m from Germany as well and cut / censored versions make not wanna buy them :)

44. Thermal Ions says:

Talk about not knowing your market. Advertising shoes to gamers on a thread about digital download specials. Why would we need to buy shoes, we never leave the house. Oh, not to mention they don’t have the magic 75% off tag and a link to an RPS review.

45. Sinomatic says:

You mean ‘AF tank woman’ isn’t a game?

I’m disappointed.