Witcher 2 Gets Orangey-Blue (Screenshots)

By John Walker on November 29th, 2010 at 6:01 pm.

More games should be blue and orange.

You look like the sort of person who wants to see ten brand new screenshots of The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings. There’s just something about your eyes, your frown. Fortunately I’m here, and posting them. They’re a tad similar. I recommend getting ten monitors, lining them all up in a straight row, and then running past them all, your head turned to face them, as fast as you can. See if it makes a cartoon.

Click on them all for fullsize versions.

, , .

1. Karhax says:

Those are sure orange.

2. Pahalial says:

Extremely apropos:

(oops, didnt log in.)

3. cjlr says:

I say, that colour balance does look quite artificial, doesn’t it?

• bagga says:

Rascals! I bet they created the entire thing on a computer.

• Xercies says:

CGI is even ruining our games! This must stop!

• Turin Turambar says:

That sequence is from a dream/spell/magical world or something like that. It’s not real, that’s why Geralt is fighting strange (well, more strange than usual) enemies.

• cjlr says:

Damn right! Less CG, more FMV!

Except, no, really what I meant to say is, rather, that it seems to be a deliberately surreal cast to the thing, and not, to be implying what you seem to have been inferring, that that would necessarily be somehow a bad thing. Big ol’ dose of the bloomy, tinted, oddly hued “this is a dream of some sort” vibe, ya? Not being anything close to realistic optics is a-ok when you weren’t trying to be.

4. Ziv says:

I really should play the first witcher before it becomes all spoiler-y witcher 2 coverage.

• Surgeon says:

I can highly recommend it, depsite being a little bit rough around the edges
      It does lack a sense of drama in places and as a result can be anticlimactic.
      Especially in comparison to say DA:O.

But the world itself is very detailed and the quests are varied and interesting, a lot more so than Dragon Age. As a result I’m enjoying it a fair bit more.

Plus, it has the best line in any video game ever.
      It may be a little puerile, but I chuckle every time I hear it.

5. Alex says:

I think it looks pretty stunning. It’s not the entire game that’s orange and blue.

6. Navagon says:

People, I think you’ll find that is cyan. As in the dodgy looking colour you pay over the odds for to fuel your hungry beast of a printer.

7. Hayvic says:

But does something awesome happen when I push a button?

• Jimbo says:

Only if you press the Boobs Button (all of the buttons are the Boobs Button).

8. Durns says:

Woohoo for the abandonment of Brown. Long live game graphics that are GAME-like. Have you ever looked around and seen quite how boring and samey most of the real world looks? More games that look like games!

9. coldwave says:

Witcher was one of the best-looking games I have ever played.

It had best in-game forest ever. Witcher 2 looks even better.

Preordere’d.

Oozo says:

Oh my gosh, oh my gosh!
    Please Stop The Madness, please!

I can’t take any more teal and orange, I CAN’T!

Edit: Ah, somebody beat me to it. Still, it can’t be repeated often enough. Had a terrible movie-festival this year, where the Asian movies tried to out-teal n’ orange one another. It was no pretty sight, I tell you.

• Navagon says:

Whoever wrote that is seeing teal and orange where it just isn’t. Counting skin colour as orange is a bit pedantic too. Especially in the case of the oompa loompas.

• outoffeelinsobad says:

Also, spelling. Is it just me, or does dude come off as a dunce when every fifth word is spelled wrong?

11. Jake says:

I know that a lumbering skull faced giant would be pretty scary in real life, but he looks quite amiable in these screenshots.

12. X2-Eliah says:

If this is The Witcher 2′s design of their version of the Fade (of the DA:O fame), then I say, jolly good work!

Christian Dannie Storgaard says:

Shambling Shoggoth! Those are some nice looking flames! Too bad about the obviously “fake” mountain in the background, but… wow, that is some pretty, roleplaying action!

14. noilly says:

better than the endless shades of gray and brown most games come in

15. Ganders says:

It seems relevant enough to ask here, with all the swordfighting screens… I’ve played about 15 minutes of the demo for the first Witcher, and I was wondering if the combat gets any better? Having to stare at a little cursor for pixely flames to appear on it is just terrible.
    If not: are they improving it in the second game.

• zuzia says:

@Ganders: No (it’s pretty awesome, though). Yes (supposedly).

• Schadenfreude says:

Play it on hard. No flames on your cursor then; you just have to learn the timing.

Probably not what you wanted to hear. :(

• Zenicetus says:

IIRC, at normal and higher difficulty settings in the Enhanced Edition you don’t see the cursor flame, but there are subtle audio cues for when to click. That’s helpful when you’re starting out, although you probably don’t want to hear this either if you’re into more “hands-on” control during a battle.

Combat in the first Witcher at the higher levels was more about gathering, preparing, and then using the right potions (for buffs) and oils (for sword damage) for the tougher battles. The combat itself was kinda mindless, especially for all the lower level “filler” monsters you run into. It’s pretty good as eye candy, though. Nice finishing moves and animations if you go all the way down any of the combat skill trees.

I enjoyed The Witcher very much, but it was more for the storytelling, and for the way it was something of a different take on a sword & sorcery genre.

16. Jimbo says:

Also, hooray for releasing screenshots taken straight from that video they already showed. You guys should check it out… it’s a bit like these screenshots except moving.

• The Dark One says:

Brink went through almost the same thing when it was delayed. They reset the drip of screenshots and developer diaries, giving us ‘new’ ones that were virtually identical to the first set.

17. lethu says:

BLOOM! moar BLOOM!

Lambchops says:

Blue. Orange.

BLORANGE!

19. Jambe says:

I think it’s pretty. But then, I like orange.

Maybe Larfleeze makes a cameo in that part of the game?

20. Jsnuk says:

Hope the story doesn’t jump about so fast in this one.

• Bewitched says:

Yea, that 100+ hours The Witcher game really was just blur whoosing by in 5 acts. :P

21. pupsikaso says:

At least it’s not BROWN.
    But that blue fog! Oh my gosh the blue fog. LEAVE THAT CRAP TO BLIZZ GAMES PLEASE. No blue fogs. No please.

22. jvempire says:

I get it… blue and orange make brown! Or wait they also contrast really well.. who knows the hidden meaning?

23. Barman1942 says:

Mmmm, realistic swords and armor, I love it.

24. Latro says:

… eh… looks a bit like a crossover between The Witcher and Warhammer, or I’m seeing things?

25. rambler says:

I would rather have news of them abandoning their support for the masses-milking lawyer fraudmachine that is raping more-or-less supposed p2p users and their families.
    Not only does this clog up the legal system (stuff like this is the reason why e.g. an inheritance suit can end up taking longer than those that stand to inherit might still be alive..), it also encourages fear-and-oppression tactics vs the consumer rather than trying to work via social and ethical change.

It’s a bit like simply smashing people in the face who disagree(and, to stay parallel to the degree of exaggerated fees demanded here, kick them in the nuts repeatedly, cut off all their hair, p*ss on them, take all their clothes and leave them a hollow, frightened and depressed shell for the next months to years), rather than arguing with them and living and example.

I know this is an unpopular viewpoint for some people (although I cannot fathom why, I have seen first hand people go into depression because their 15 y/o daughter allegedly downloaded a single chart MP3 and now a 1200 EUR bill of lawyer bill+infringement cost is lying on their coffee table), but I can’t help but feel this cannot be repeated often enough, as there just is not enough awareness and counteraction against this abuse yet.

And if you think I am just whining for the poor old pirates, the “fraudclosures” in the USA that are currently ongoing basically use a similiar schematic abuse of the judicial system and are just as bad in my eyes.

Just because some people love to hate pirates does not mean these methods are on scale, just or non-abusive of the system within they occur.