Deus Ex: Inhuman Revolution

By Alec Meer on November 30th, 2010 at 5:25 pm.

UPDATE: Eidos Montreal report that the “Automatic Unlocking Device” is actually a consumable. Hurray!

‘News’ has come down the ‘wires’ about the various goodies to be had from Deus Ex 3 special editions and pre-order exclsuive thingywotsits. One in particular caught my eye. Pray allow me to quote my exact wording in the RPS meta-office when the press release arrived. I warn you: I’m about to clamber into the Angry Tank.

The press release: Explosive Mission Pack Exclusively at GameStop – An entirely new mission with special cameo appearance of original Deus Ex character
Me: OH PISS OFF

I don’t mind pre-orders adding on guns and hats whatnot; I understand it’s important for retailers to sell games and that the market is ever more complicated and competitive. But dangling that sort of money-grabbing, choice-destroying nostalgia-carrot in front of the very people whose undying enthusiasm has been a key factor in allow this game to happen? Ew, ew, ew.

Essentially, if you’re a long term DX fan you’re going to have to make the fairly unpleasant choice of saving money by ordering this much-anticipated, primarily black’n'yellow-hued sequel from your (r)etailer of choice, or dropping full-whack premium at Gamestop to ensure you’re getting the full story and maximum links to DX1. You’re being punished for being one of the people who most cares about this game. Awful.

OK, calm down. Calm down. Let’s see what else we’ve got. Should be fine now. There surely can’t be anything quite as harrowing. Here’s the rest of the Gamestop pack…

- Linebacker G-87 multiple shot grenade launcher
- M-28 Utility Remote-Detonated Explosive Device (UR-DED)
- Automatic Unlocking Device

WHAT THE….. Automatic Unlocking Device! Jesus milkshake-drinking Christ! What? Why? God! “Buy from gamestop and you can just wholesale skip one of the game’s tension-setting challenges!” Which, yes, was an option in DX1 but not one you only got by paying extra to a specific real-world shop.

Ok. Ok. If you instead buy the game from the incredibly vague ‘participating retailers’, you get these:

- Huntsman Silverback Double-Barrel Shotgun
- Longsword Whisperhead Extreme Range Sniper Rifle
- Extra Credits

Extra credits. That’s probably not so bad. Sort of defeats the entire point of roleplaying, but there you go.

And on to the ‘Augmented Edition’ special edition of the game, which’ll cost you $10 more than the standard:

- 40-page Artbook
- Exclusive Bonus DVD: Making Of, Special Trailers, Animated storyboard of CGI trailer and Soundtrack
- Premium Packaging
- Motion Graphic Novel

Fine, fine, probably. As long as the plot makes sense without that motion graphic novel.

This is all North America, by the way. Dunno what Euro-folk are in for yet.

“Automatic Unlocking Device.” Bloody hell.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. kutkh says:

I don’t have control of games. I have control of angry tank.

2. Unaco says:

I’m going to hold off on criticism off this for now, because I’m trying to be more positive in my life, and ‘cos I’m hoping this will play out like some other extra-DLC-from-specific-retailer stuff I’ve seen. I’ll be happy if this is ‘exclusive’ to GameStop customers, for a month or so… and then it gets released as free piece of DLC to everyone. If it remains exclusive to GameStop customers only, then I’ll maybe get slightly miffed, and join your what-a-shame-train.

3. Bungle says:

The pre-order “bonus” information was all I needed. I will not be buying this piece of crap. Game Stop exclusives must die.

4. Christopher M. says:

New from GameStop! All preorders now come with an exclusive Win Button! Set in a casing of choicest mahogany, this essential device plugs into any open USB port and allows you to bypass any challenge in the game with the press of a button! Let your enemies know you’re someone to be feared! (Gamestop Rabbit(tm) casing also available)

5. Kyle Stallock says:

I’m the community manager at Eidos Montreal.

Figured I’d come in with a quick bit of info…

The Automatic Unlocking Device is a one-use/consumable item.

Here’s the official description:

“Using modified microwave pulse technology, the Automatic Unlocking Device (AUD) unit can neutralize 98% of conventional electronic and digital locking systems. This one-shot device fires a directed high-energy burst into the circuitry of the security unit, overloading it and forcing an immediate disengage; once activated, the discharge consumes the AUD’s internal capacitor and renders the device useless.”

• Red Scharlach says:

A one-use only pre-order exclusive?

The sad part is, I know this isn’t a joke.

• Duke of Chutney says:

clearly Eidos get value for money and good customer relations from their sales and promotions departments

• RQH says:

These pre-order exclusives are overpowered! And they’re only one use!

Sounds like a variation on a certain Woody Allen joke….

• Pijama says:

Since you were so kind to drop by, would you please also relay to your superiors my message?

YOU BLOODY WANKING SCUMBAGS.

There you go. It’s not directed at you, of course, you are just doing your job and all mate – but the upper management can seriously fuck themselves.

:D

• malkav11 says:

I would assume it’s a “preorder exclusive” in much the same way Binoculars were in New Vegas. That is, the preorder pack gives them to you up front automatically, but you can find them in game too. (Unlike the special armor and weapons, which really are exclusive.)

6. GoldenNugget says:

Ugh I hated this crap with Mass Effect 2. I got the collector’s edition of ME2 and it didn’t come with all the preorder bonuses. It also looked cooler than the default cover art which is horrible.

Does the Augmented version come with all the preorder bonuses or just a dinky book?

7. Basilicus says:

So by buying digitally without any extravagances, I’ll:

A) save money
    B) have a tougher, more dangerous game
    C) experience the game closer to the way the designers intend; and
    D) avoid unnecessarily atrocious acronyms

I’m in!

8. Skyturnedred says:

Don’t matter what the bonus stuff for more expensive editions is, since I can barely afford the normal version. That is, if the bonus stuff is actually just bonus stuff and not content cut from original game.

9. Senethro says:

So how do UK people get the extra level?

10. Tyrone Slothrop says:

Haters gonna hate.

11. Gilly says:

What a fockign shame

12. Vinraith says:

Preorder bonuses (especially of the “make the game dead easy” variety) are just one more reason to wait for a price drop.

13. coldwave says:

Within six months we will have it as DLC.

• Urael says:

To everyone who has said this…are the exclusive characters for Transformers: War for Cybertron now available to everyone?

NOT YET. Just sayin’….

14. jefftron says:

I’m guessing the person who came up with UR-DED is the same person who decided to name the player’s transportation the BOOBEE.

15. airtekh says:

I’ve always thought the actual idea of pre-ordering a game was daft, let alone the crap that’s supposed to entice you into doing so. What if the game turns out to be utter rubbish?

I’ve never pre-ordered a game in my life and I don’t intend to either.

16. Skyvik says:

So the gist of this is – player’s first choice: 1) Enormously powerful explodey weapon; 2) sniper rifle. 3) Neither of the above.

Sounds like the first game to me. Maybe people who don’t buy a special version get a non-lethal kitten friendly weapon unavailble to the special edition chaps.

17. Torqual says:

Please no FPS remake of an old FPS again. Make a turn-based strategy game out of Deus Ex.

When Deus Ex: Inhuman Revolution is so good as Deus Ex: Invisible War was in comparison to Deus Ex then Deus Ex: Inhuman Revolution would have been the worst Deus Ex part of the Deus Ex series.

Deus vult!

• Unaco says:

Deus-Ex-Com?

• Oak says:

Agreed. By turning it into a turn-based strategy game, players will be able to feel the tension and fear that comes with combating a faceless enemy that is violently probing and plotting its way into our world.

• Harlander says:

Damn it, Torqual, thanks to that sentence the name “Deus Ex” has lost all meaning

18. MadTinkerer says:

This is not enough to make me boycott Gamestop. But it is enough to bring the thought to mind…

• Thants says:

You should boycott them. Gamespot is actually bribing game companies to screw-up their game’s balance.

19. Shazbut says:

If you know what made the original great, then none of this bullshit is going to matter to you.

• Navagon says:

If you know what made the original great then you would know that all this bullshit wouldn’t be going on unless the developers had some very misplaced priorities when it comes to what Deus Ex is about.

Although I suppose it’s somewhat fitting that the game itself can be augmented in ways that cancels out the possibility of other augmentations…

• Shazbut says:

I admit it doesn’t bode well for where the developers heads are at, unless they were pressured into it or there are some tactics here (giving an option for people who find the game too complex or demanding, thus selling more copies. Not a bad thing if we can still choose to have a game that IS complex and demanding)

But as long as this game shares the same key substance as the first, notably v high agency and considerable maturity, then it could be set in rural France in the late 1700s with a cast of 5 people for all it would really matter. Because those are the reasons you fell in love with it in the first place.

• Theory says:

Who said this was the developers’ decision?

20. Mut says:

Here’s hoping someone finds a way to turn this “extra content” into a mod, because there’s no way I’m buying from GameStop.

21. kyrieee says:

Ok fuck this game I’m pirating it

• TotalBiscuit says:

PC Gamers. Kings of disproportionate reactions.

BONUS CONTENT AVAILABLE ONLY AT A CERTAIN RETAILER? STEAL ENTIRE GAME, CONTRIBUTE TO DEATH OF PC GAMING, LOOK SMUG ABOUT IT.

• Mad Doc MacRae says:

Speaking of disproportionate reactions…

• poop says:

bonus content: an entire mission with presumably liek an hour of gameplay THOSE ELITIST PC GAMING PRICKSSSSSSSSS ARE NEVER HAPPY GAMESTOP HERES MY ASSHOLE PUT UR DICK IN IT

22. terry says:

This wouldn’t bother me half as much if what they’re offering is unlockable through the normal course of playing a game, but actual content locking is just another version of region locking as far as I’m concerned – a dumb idea that exists only because of publisher/retailer croneyism and greed.

23. dash says:

I will not go “hurray” until they say the extra mission is available to everyone. For free, ofcourse.

24. orangedragon10 says:

Ew, I’m sticking with the regular version. It’s not impressive, and store exclusives are lame.

25. Azhrarn says:

Odd that they parked all the making of stuff and the OST on a single disc. That means the music probably comes as MP3s or a similar lossy format. =(
    It really pays to have a physical CD to rip lossless to get the best sound. =(

But it makes my choice easier, I won’t be needing the special edition without that physical soundtrack CD.

• jefftron says:

The “OST” will probably turn out to be a coupon for a digital download hidden in the liner notes… 128kbps only.

• Azhrarn says:

@jefftron: that’s basically what I fear, yes.
      I have a high quality audiocard (ASUS Xonar D2X) for a reason, linked by SPDIF to a decent receiver (as receivers go, for PC audio this thing is amazing). The quality difference between lossy 128k music and lossless audio is mindblowing.

• Navagon says:

I don’t know about that. The cyberpunk theme is relevant to my interests. I agree that if they nail the formula for the game then it will at the very least be good. But that’s a fairly big if right now.

26. JohnnyMaverik says:

Ah well, the pre-order bonuses are usually a lot more crappy and insignificant than they sound.

27. Lewie Procter says:

Even with this update, it is still worrying.

Either these core elements of the game design are so wishy washy that these differences don’t matter, or at least one of the many versions they are selling is diluted or inferior in some way.

28. noobnob says:

Oh my god JC, it’s a flop!

29. Matzerath says:

This is going to create quite a RIFT in the gaming community.
    (Register for Beta NOW.)

30. Rond says:

So basically, they offer me to pay for the game with stuff cut out of it, or pirate the whole “exclusive” thing for free? Uh, maybe I’ll do both, I don’t know. We don’t have these fancy exclusive retailers in Russia, and our local publishers tend to screw up with activation codes and stuff.

31. suibhne says:

You are the Master of Automatic Unlocking!

32. FRIENDLYUNIT says:

Welcome to Capitalism, Mr Bond.

I trust my Capitalists have treated you well?

33. outoffeelinsobad says:

I will have that art book or worlds will crumble.

34. poop says:

nice try gamestop but I think I’ll go with the pirate bay’s exclusive “all the dlc” pack

35. Blue Cheese Rocket says:

Dear Publishers,

Games make me happy. Thank you. I would just like to suggest that you consider following this process:

1. Make a game.
    2. Make sure it’s finished. (Important.) Ideally, it should be something to be proud of, i.e., something that you wouldn’t dream of adding to or subtracting from. Not one pixel.
    3. Move on to a new project.

Also, if you need to cut the fat out of your organization, you might start by drawing up a list of everyone in your organization with an MBA. They’re bringing us all down.

I remain your most obedient and humble servant, e&t.,
    Blue Cheese Rocket

36. NotGodot says:

I read somewhere that the Augmented Edition includes both sets of preorder DLC. There’s definitely a french advert floating around with all of it listed as included.

• ZIGS says:

I’m not gonna trust an advert from a country that never won a war

• Azhrarn says:

@ZIGS: what do you mean France never won a war, remember this small guy named napoleon?? I’m fairly sure he won more than his fair share of wars, they beat him in the end, but his track record wasn’t exactly bad. =P

• Harlander says:

You don’t get a five-million-square-mile empire without busting a few heads, Zigs…

• mondomau says:

@ZIGS;
      You’re either a troll, or a prat.

37. Antsy says:

I’m as mad as hell, and i’m not gonna take this anymore!

I await the inevitable Goatee edition.

38. Barman1942 says:

Buying the game off Steam, pirating this. I don’t support this kind of shit.

39. Brian Manahan says:

40. Hunam says:

So is it that you can access to this stuff rather than just having it… because seems reprehensible, but not game breaking… like they took this stuff out to just stick it as a bonus.

41. nuh uh no way says:

may i suggest a skul gun TO SHOOT THESE ASSHOLES FOR PROMOTING THIS RETAILER-EXCLUSIVE BULLSHIT

42. fuggles says:

I’m with the other UK guys in that it sucks that you do this in the first place, but extra sucks in that even should I want to partake in your shenanigans I can’t thanks to where I live. I’m holding an augmented finger up at you DE3 publishers, can you guess which one it is?

43. tapanister says:

Fuck them. I refuse to even pirate shitty games like this, (I’ve seen the future and I know it’ll suck, yes). I’ll still write a scathing review on Amazon though.

• tapanister says:

Also, I hate the tendency publishers have to try and FORCE you to pre-order a game by holding out on content. It’s also infuriating that they embargo reviewers from publishing reviews before the game goes on sale.

There’s absolutely no respect for the consumer in this industry, god damn.

44. Hendar23 says:

It’s not like anybody expected it to be up to the standard of the first game anyway. I’m a massive fan of DE, but news of this game barely raised my eyebrow. I’m just going to assume it’s shit until if proves otherwise, then in a couple of years I’ll get the ‘Game of the Year’ edition for $10-20.

45. ChiefOfBeef says:

I just want to know: how many here think the game will be good(Invisible War: good, but not really Deus Ex) and do you also think it will be…well, a real sequel to Deus Ex rather than co-opting the name?

I mean, the development team needed to get their heads around the concept of creating content that some players would not see. They needed to learn that. Had they been native PC gamers or even played any half-decent RPG of the last fifteen years they would have already known. Baldur’s Gate, System Shock, Thief, The Elder Scrolls, *the original Deus Ex* or even a Legend of Zelda game would have made them aware that the concept exists.

Obviously, I don’t have high hopes for this. It will come out In Six Months. Then it will be forgotten In Six Months. I’ll post again about it In Six Months. It will never have a memorable Malkavian machina made of it years after its release, let alone In Six Months.

• MD says:

We’ve had to endure much, you and I, but within the week there will be a mediocre Deus Ex sequel running the world.

• Azhrarn says:

I’m just hoping it will be decent, and doesn’t destroy the name of Deus Ex to much.
      That is all I want, I’m hoping to be pleasantly surprised obviously, but I’m not expecting to be.

If it actually is good, that will be awesome, if it is decent, it will still be better than most games released this year. ^^ I’m hoping for that at least.

46. WFL says:

Gamestop can eat a fat one. I don’t care if they offer sexual services from a smokin’ hotty with each preorder. Their handling of PC games has always sucked. They open the damned boxes at all the ones around here and take out everything – and most of the time, the person working behind the counter doesn’t put everything back into the box when you buy. Nearly every time I’ve bought a PC game from any area Gamestop, I’ve had to go back because they forgot a disk or two, or didn’t include the damned manual (which had the CD key printed on it). I refuse to support a business like that.

47. Silvarius says:

Thats a turnoff. What a shame

48. Spacewalk says:

Black and yellow? Why not lemon lime?

49. ed says:

Exclusivity just sucks, doesn’t it? I’m not liking the ‘more money = more game’ trend, of which DLC is the primary example and this is another.. Oh well, I’ll just watch the extra shit on youtube.

Introducing “Rich Assholes”, the new multiplayer FPS! Free to play, but you get no weapons but your slapping hand. The more you pay for the game, the more powerful weapons you have access to and the better your stats. See if you can use the pea shooter your $10 purchase got you to out-skill that millionaire guy with a $10k arsenal of miniguns, railguns, mini-nuke-launchers and air-support. But only when he chooses to leave his gorgeous high-roller maps and visit the low-poly slums. I can see it now.