Deus Ex: Inhuman Revolution

By Alec Meer on November 30th, 2010 at 5:25 pm.

‘News’ has come down the ‘wires’ about the various goodies to be had from Deus Ex 3 special editions and pre-order exclsuive thingywotsits. One in particular caught my eye. Pray allow me to quote my exact wording in the RPS meta-office when the press release arrived. I warn you: I’m about to clamber into the Angry Tank.

The press release: Explosive Mission Pack Exclusively at GameStop – An entirely new mission with special cameo appearance of original Deus Ex character
Me: OH PISS OFF

I don’t mind pre-orders adding on guns and hats whatnot; I understand it’s important for retailers to sell games and that the market is ever more complicated and competitive. But dangling that sort of money-grabbing, choice-destroying nostalgia-carrot in front of the very people whose undying enthusiasm has been a key factor in allow this game to happen? Ew, ew, ew.

Essentially, if you’re a long term DX fan you’re going to have to make the fairly unpleasant choice of saving money by ordering this much-anticipated, primarily black’n'yellow-hued sequel from your (r)etailer of choice, or dropping full-whack premium at Gamestop to ensure you’re getting the full story and maximum links to DX1. You’re being punished for being one of the people who most cares about this game. Awful.

OK, calm down. Calm down. Let’s see what else we’ve got. Should be fine now. There surely can’t be anything quite as harrowing. Here’s the rest of the Gamestop pack…

- Linebacker G-87 multiple shot grenade launcher
- M-28 Utility Remote-Detonated Explosive Device (UR-DED)
- Automatic Unlocking Device

WHAT THE….. Automatic Unlocking Device! Jesus milkshake-drinking Christ! What? Why? God! “Buy from gamestop and you can just wholesale skip one of the game’s tension-setting challenges!” Which, yes, was an option in DX1 but not one you only got by paying extra to a specific real-world shop.

Ok. Ok. If you instead buy the game from the incredibly vague ‘participating retailers’, you get these:

- Huntsman Silverback Double-Barrel Shotgun
- Longsword Whisperhead Extreme Range Sniper Rifle
- Extra Credits

Extra credits. That’s probably not so bad. Sort of defeats the entire point of roleplaying, but there you go.

And on to the ‘Augmented Edition’ special edition of the game, which’ll cost you $10 more than the standard:

- 40-page Artbook
- Exclusive Bonus DVD: Making Of, Special Trailers, Animated storyboard of CGI trailer and Soundtrack
- Premium Packaging
- Motion Graphic Novel

Fine, fine, probably. As long as the plot makes sense without that motion graphic novel.

This is all North America, by the way. Dunno what Euro-folk are in for yet.

“Automatic Unlocking Device.” Bloody hell.

, .

1. Thants says:

Getting the most powerful guns right at the start is great! I can’t wait until I can pay extra to see a movie that tells me the ending right at the beginning.

2. MD says:

I don’t give a toss about any of this if the game’s good. Or if it’s shit, for that matter. I can understand why people might be annoyed, but for me all it is is another small hint that the game will probably be rubbish (to my tastes).

3. Moot The Pointy says:

Ohhhh… it’s a pirate’s life for me…

4. SquareWheel says:

So the best way to get all the goodies is to simply pirate it.

Makes sense.

5. MindFukr says:

Needs more quotes.

6. Crane says:

I’d just like to throw something out here:
    We have no idea how this preorder stuff is implemented.

1: We don’t know that the preorder weapons are only available to folk who preordered – it might just be a way to acquire early weapons that are in the game for everyone. The AUD hints at this – a single use item, only for preorders seems excessively… transient (ye gods I sound like a pretentious arty asshole). Moreover, they released concept art for the remote mines fairly early on, which sounds to me as if they’re something that have always been in the game, and were just recently divvied up and thrown into the preorders.

2. We don’t know how you’ll acquire them, or when, and we certainly don’t know that they’ll be absurdly gamebreaking. I mean, what’ve we got? A sniper rifle (DX: could get one at the start), a grenade launcher (DX: could get a guided missile launcher at the start), and a double-barrelled shotgun (DX: could get a sawed-off pump action within about five minutes). Oh, and some remote mines, but I really don’t think a handful of those is going to utterly fuck the balance. Oh, and a single lockpick.

• Shazbut says:

You’re coming across as rational. Can’t you see that blind speculative rage is the only way forward?

7. Maxheadroom says:

I used to be a sucker for special editions but nowadays they’re just lazy (lazier?) cash-ins.
    ‘Exclusive’ content, sound track cd’s, making of dvd…pish

Special editions should be all about making the experience more immersive. Cloth maps are a fairly basic example, or the excellent compendium that came with Alan Wake filled with his short stories and the FBI guy’s notes.

Another great example came with the dog old Amiga game Dream Web. A ‘blood stained’ diary chronicling the main characters decent into madness with progressively shaky handwriting. Genius.

• FDS21 says:

Yeah, I was going to sell my PC-CD-ROM version of Dreamweb, but I’ve read that the diary also works as copy protection. So that and Blade Runner will be my only big box games left after my ebay sales finish ;)

8. Ovno says:

So what do we get for buying it from steam then??

Cus that’s where I’ll be getting it from regardless ;p

9. Flint says:

‘Special cameo appearance’ sounds like an itty-bitty teeny-weeny “blink and you’ll miss it” role and I doubt they’d be using any of the big characters from the original game into something like that, especially seeing as they’ve probably integrated the possible the more notable old characters into the game’s main plot itself. So the preorder bonus will most likely be something like Harvey Filben or Shannon or the soldier with his own office in UNATCO HQ popping in to say ‘hi’ in the background of the bonus mission.

• Optimaximal says:

It’s Tracer Tong.

phlebas says:

A young Tracer Tong would have been my guess, except I’d be rather surprised if he wasn’t in the game proper.

10. JohnnyMaverik says:

“UPDATE: Eidos Montreal report that the “Automatic Unlocking Device” is actually a consumable. Hurray!”

Is it a suppository? O.o

11. Optimaximal says:

When they said ‘it’s a consumable’, did anyone else think ‘why would GameStop offer an exclusive pack of Soy Food’?

12. Chris says:

Ok, so let me get this straight:

1) The bonus retailer-only content sucks and/or is game breaking,
    2) We demand that it be shipped as default?

This does not sound like something to be demanding that the publishers eat a bucket of cocks over. Seriously, get the game (or wait for the Steam sale if you’re “meh” about it), play it, forget bricks&mortar retailers as they’re an irrelevance to PC gaming. Why get angry that you don’t get content that you didn’t want?

13. Nallen says:

Compare the price difference from Steam to Gamestop, view the stuff as DLC and then apply your normal process of value judgement.

Also try not to rage about being ripped off.

The Sombrero Kid says:

if the missions are of the ilk that can be cut out without consequence to the game then this is not a deus ex game, if you’d cut out or added in any optional missions to deus ex you’d either be thoroughly confused or their’d be a weird chunk of filler.

This has been downgraded from must buy to wait & see.

• Crane says:

Because clearly it’s utterly impossible that this could be a little side-jaunt which has no real impact on the overall plot. The existence of a sidequest like that is certain proof that Human Revolution will be a series of discrete levels, broken up with briefing screens ala Modern Warfare! Certain proof!

Look, exclusive pre-order bonuses are kind of shit, it’s true, but good heavens everyone is overreacting. Why is it that almost every post I see takes the most negative possible interpretation of this stuff, sometimes taking quite absurd (il)logical leaps, and treats it as gospel?

The Sombrero Kid says:

it’s like directors who take the crap scenes off the cutting room floor and put them back in their movies to make more money, the film/game is always worse with it in but it’s designed to make the people who don’t have it think they’re missing something, even worse would be if it’s an integral part of the game and the interconnected plot doesn’t make any sense without it.

EDIT: also downgrading from a must buy to a wait and see is an over reaction? :S

• Crane says:

No, but worrying about the missions being of the sort that can be cut without consequence to the game, and speculating that this is not a Deus Ex game based on the mere existence of a discrete pre-order mission is.

15. Greg Wild says:

A bomb!

16. Thelonious says:

Our ethical inflexibility has allowed them to make progress in areas we’d refuse to consider.

17. Mac says:

So, will this:

a) Encourage more people to buy the Special Edition?
    b) Encourage people to forget about the Special Edition and buy the Standard Edition?
    c) Encourage people to forget about the Standard Edition and just pirate the full game?

I know which one my money is on …

18. TooNu says:

I am not sure if it has been said yet, but the bonus mission’s “cameo” appearance is Tracer Tong. As the mission is called Tong’s Rescue.

Sinomatic says:

It seems they’ve done one of two things, either kept back exclusive content for those with more money or who shop at a particular place (crap and greedy), or given pre-orders early access to content that is freely available in the game anyway and managed to completely not make this clear in any way, shape or form, pissing off a lot of people who are/were genuinely excited about the game (really, really stupid).

What a shame indeed.

20. PearlChoco says:

Waiting for the Extreme Special Edition with the AMSD (Automatic Moving and Shooting Device).

Wait…. “Special Edition”, is it like the “Special Olympics”?

21. CMP5 says:

What a shame.

22. Brian Manahan says:

I believe!

23. Doth Messar says:

go in, and go in, and go in like the US marshals!