Super Meat Boy: Meated And Greeted

By Quintin Smith on December 1st, 2010 at 12:49 pm.

EDIT: The following is based on extensive time spent with the 360 version of SMB, and we’re hearing reports that the PC version currently has memory leak and gamepad support issues. We’ll be posting a full review of the PC version very soon.

EDIT 2: We’ve spoken to Team Meat, and they tell us they’re working hard on an update to fix issues right now, which will be out today.

EDIT 3: Pow! Team Meat slurp into action.

Super Meat Boy is OUT, you know. You could be buying it over at Steam right the hell now with £11.99 of your (let’s face it) ill-gotten money. The only problem is, there’s no demo. This is me letting out a sigh like a shot from an air rifle.

Super Meat Boy is a steaming steak of brilliance, served with a rich, leathery wine with a label that reads Chateau Just One More Go. A demo will unquestionably result in Team Meat selling more copies, and the sooner it arrives the better. Until then, I suppose I’ll have to sell you this game with my trademark hyperbole. You got a minute? If so, let’s do this. You need Super Meat Boy in your life because…

…because it’s as perfect a distillation of platforming as I’ve ever played.

Let me just post the trailer again.

It’s very simple. If you take the core of platforming to be running, jumping and dodging enemies, what Super Meat Boy provides is a relentless travelator of running, jumping and dodging at its most tense. Once you’ve got past the first couple of worlds, you’re not jumping between platforms so much as skipping across tightropes. Most platformers allow for graceful, speedy high-level play. Super Meat Boy enforces it. Super Meat Boy points a 400 watt spotlight in your direction and tells you to dance.

Which would be the most frustrating thing in the world were it not for your flawless control over Meat Boy himself. There’s such flexibility contained within his jumps and slides, and the obstacles are so demanding that you can never, ever zone out. You can never enter a manoeuvre with the wrong amount of momentum or apply the wrong aftertouch, or you’re splattered. Every death-defying leap holds your attention in two hands, and every enemy is a sword of Damocles hovering over your skull. Finally reaching Bandage Girl at the end of each of SMB’s hundreds of levels, you feel sweaty, elated, heroic. And then the game drops another horrorlevel in front of you and you do it again, and again.

Actually, I tell a lie. When you finish one of Super Meat Boy’s levels you first get to watch a replay of your runthrough, except you don’t just watch the successful attempt, you watch all of your attempts simultaneously- a horde of tiny meatboys come bursting out of the level’s start point, and only one of them will ever make it to bandage girl. This is what you can see during parts of the above trailer. It’s poetic, it’s hilarious, it’s awesome, and it’s an extra lure to get you to finish a level even after you’ve gotten minced for the fiftieth time.

Still, those levels. Super Meat Boy is hugely generous with them, and they’re all beautifully designed. As much as I love VVVVVV, it was the work of a lazy afternoon to play that game through from start to finish. If you devote an afternoon to Super Meat Boy, the best you can hope for is to make a small dent in it. You’ll also come away laughing with a mouth full of metaphorical broken teeth, because there’s always a harder level waiting for you in Super Meat Boy, so you only tend to stop playing when you run out of determination. Which isn’t to say progress is linear. Between choosing to play Dark versions of completed levels, progressing through the official DLC worlds or continuing with the story, you can pick and choose your punishment.

Super Meat Boy’s difficulty won’t be for everyone, but if this description does have you salivating then you should absolutely head over to Steam right now and get to downloading. It was a long time coming, but this is one of the indie games of the year. When Team Meat do release a demo (grumble grumble), I’ll be letting you know.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. MrTambourineMan says:

I played demo on xbox and it’s one of the finest games I’ve played in quite a few years!

• Jymkata says:

I wouldn’t buy it, because Super Meat Boy is an anagram of
      you Beat SperM.
      You don’t… beat sperm, do you?
      Well then.

• >_ says:

in fact it’s “you bate sperm”
      That’s how you become the Super Meat boy anyways.

Sinomatic says:

How spooky, I literally just bought this (and didn’t win it for free dammit) over on direct2drive. Its still a pre-ordery £6.75 there by the way, though it also says the release is about 6pm tonight.

Also, I only just finished VVVVVV the other day after picking it up in the steam clever indie pack. It was the most fun I’d had in a long time, so I see SMB as being some sort of ultra-condensed version of that frustration-laced euphoria. Good times.

• GoodPatton says:

VVVVVV was great fun, loved every frustrating bit, though I haven’t finished picking up all the trinkets, but I also refuse to use the slow down option! As for SMB being the condensed version I think it’s the other way around, SMB has a ton of levels and I think will supply many more hours of frustrating goodness than VVVVVV, though that is just my hopes. If its anywhere as enjoyable as V I will be spectacularly pleased!

Sinomatic says:

I believe I meant to use concentrated, rather than condensed there, in the sense that it will be even more frustrating-in-a-good-way.

• Edawan says:

I also bought VVVVVV with the recent Steam pack, but I was very disappointed by the sloppy controls. It just seemed like a very artificial way to increase the difficulty. Hey! Let’s just let the guy slide for 20 pixels after every movement ! That will keep them busy !

It was particularly annoying since I’m currently addicted to Super Crate Box which has pixel perfect controls.

So, how tight are Super Meat Boy’s controls ?

• Memphis-Ahn says:

If vvvvvv’s movement annoyed you, you’re going to HATE SMB.
      There’s way too much momentum, if that makes sense.

It’s still pretty fun though, you just have to learn how the physics work and then use it to your advantage.

• DJ Phantoon says:

Sucks to be you guys, I’ve been playing it since yesterday.

• Devenger says:

Edawan: they aren’t going to be to everyone’s tastes I’ll admit, but VVVVVV’s movement was not a result of sloppy design or sloppy implementation – the inertia is completely intentional. Yes, it makes the levels more challenging, but it meant that the more challenging areas were slightly, just very slightly, about overall approach rather than millisecond-perfect directional key holding.

Super Crate Box is not a game about traversing difficult terrain with challenging movement per se, and requires you to aim a gun/accurately plant objects, so the sharper controls are well suited to it. But it would be a shame if all games had protagonists that moved in the same way, in my opinion.

• Edawan says:

@Devenger : I know it’s not sloppy coding or whatever, it’s just that the controls feel sloppy, as in not precise.
      Maybe there’s a better word for that.

I’m certainly not saying every game should control the same, but it’s hard to switch from one to the other. :)

3. Javier-de-Ass says:

terrible pc port of this. do not support

Harlander says:

What’s wrong with it?

• Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

I have found this to be the case, I was really looking forward to some N like action, too.

• Philip L says:

I have the PC version of this and have, so far (at around 2-5 dark world), found it to run flawlessly. No errors or bugs or crashes or any such thing. Simply a case of a minority of the players getting game-breaking bugs I think.

• Bhazor says:

No, you see it’s a port of a console game. Ergo it is a terrible pc port. Don’t you know how it works around here yet?

• Javier-de-Ass says:

no, it is a terrible port when there are; a lot of crashes and a ton of bugs, bad keyboard support, leftover 360 related graphics and it only supports 360 pad.

• Gnoupi says:

I played one hour of it, I haven’t noticed any technical issue either.

• Frosty says:

KG has said on his twitter that he has also experienced some issues so there are people suffering but as Super Meat Boy’s creators have said a emergency patch is on the way.

• Philip L says:

What about those non-ports that have issues? Are they bad console ports?

Thought not. Maybe its just a typical PC game.

• Brownie says:

Have some faith, guys. Team Meat are the most dedicated developers on the planet. They will make everything right. A patch is coming out in the next couple of hours, and they’ll keep working until every last bug is squashed. You gotta believe!

• Fred Wester, CEO of Paradox says:

What a shame.

• 13tales says:

Not, he’s right.

My non-XBOX gamepad just plain doesn’t work, while space and enter work for the A button, and ESC seems to work for the B button, there’s no indication whatsoever which keyboard keys you press to reply a level or save your reply.

Also, it crashes every time I exit the game. Minor, but apparently for some it won’t launch without crashing.

• Benji says:

While there’s no official mention of this, various circumstances (release time on Steam was pushed back several times, all that day there was no communication coming out of Team Meat, other distributors do not have the game yet, the state of the game on release) lead me to believe that the release of Super meat Boy on he PC nearly didn’t happen on schedule. I believe that a lot of frantic hard work all the way up to the last minute (after several delays, too) in order to get something playable out in time was done.

In that kind of situation, a few bugs here and there should be expected. I believe this is why other digital distributors haven’t released it yet – they’ll get the patched up version first. Personally, I admire them for keeping to their release date, and the gamer in me wouldn’t want it any other way, but judging from a large amount of comments from some very spoiled short-sighted people, Team Meat may have been better off delaying the game to have it polished up for their expectations.

For those that feel “wronged” in some way with the current condition of the game – first, go update your graphics drivers and DirectX. That has helped a lot of people already when the game would not start.
      Otherwise, just give them some time to patch it up, to put in the polish they ran out of time to do before their scheduled release date.

Then come back to the game with an open mind. You won’t be disappointed.

• EC- says:

While I will agree that supporting only one gamepad type is lame, I can’t understand why ANYONE would want to use a keyboard for this game. It’s just too precise and demanding. They even tell you this every time you boot up the game. Also, a patch is coming out today to fix launch issues.

• Tauers says:

@13tales

If you start the game with the gamepad disconnected, xbox buttons in the menu change to keyboard keys.

You save replays with “Shift”.

• Dominic White says:

“While I will agree that supporting only one gamepad type is lame, I can’t understand why ANYONE would want to use a keyboard for this game. It’s just too precise and demanding”

The game has pure-digital controls, and uses only four buttons. What better controller can you think of than a panel of pure-digital buttons?

• Wilson says:

I’m glad I’ve read this, because I wondered why it was breaking horribly on my computer. I recently moved to a new hard drive because of virus troubles (and generally because it was old and full of junk) and I was a little concerned I might have got a virus again already. But it’s just a memory leak.

@Benji – It depends on how broken they knew it was. They should have released a statement to say they’ve had some problems and will be patching it, or if they had real problems before release they should have delayed it and said so. I’d rather have a working game a bit later than a potentially buggy one now. Especially since it seems it was a matter of a few days.

• Dominic White says:

Keep in mind that Team Meat has a coding team of 1, and he (according to twitter) hasn’t slept in well over 50 hours now. If there are bugs, I doubt it’s from lack of effort.

• noobnob says:

I’ve had problems with the controls suddenly not responding at the menu, and crashes when closing the game. Also clipped through some slopes while running (unless that was intended…). Minor annoyances, but I can see where most complaints are coming from.

• Wilson says:

@Dominic White – All the more reason for him to delay a little to get it all nice and polished, if needs be. But it’s hardly the end of the world, I have plenty of other games from the Steam sale to be playing until I can enjoy SMB (Mount and Blade Warband is great fun with a friend messing around with bots).

• Heliocentric says:

No excuses, release the game when it works.

Never liked the other free meatboy release, a touch to “i want to be the guy” for my tastes. i play games to have a sense of achievement, learn things and have new experiences, not play one level for 3 hours and get hand cramp.

edit: the lack of a demo is hardly encouraging either.

• schokakola says:

Super Meat Boy is the exact opposite of IWBTG and the sense of achievement is amazing.

• DrGonzo says:

Well unless I read of a patch that adds proper keyboard support in I won’t be buying this I’m afraid. Why anyone would want to play this on anything other than a keyboard baffles me. It even looks like it’s meant to be a pc platformer to me.

• Eclipse says:

it’s not a port, stop being dicky, it was in the works alongside the xbox version, Meatboy first platform was the PC and was the first to be announced

• Zyrxil says:

What do you mean by “keyboard support”? I played through the entire first world and first dark world with the keyboard yesterday. The only problem for me is that the Numpad arrows don’t work, only the normal arrows do.

And yes, this is far better with keyboard keys than an Analog stick (for digital movements! Try NSMB for Wii with the nunchuck stick and I dare you to tell me that is accurate enough. I would kill to play that with a keyboard) or a mushy 360 Dpad.

• Benji says:

@Wilson

The first messages on Twitter were that they were aware of certain bugs, but gameplay was unaffected (though it turned out they missed a couple of bugs :P) so went with the release to keep to schedule.

I understand the view a lot of people have that a game should be released when its’ ready, and delaying the release would probably have been the better option in the long run – but I also respect their efforts to keeping to their projected release date. :)

I just feel that there are many people out there who see the game in its’ current state as both “the final product full-stop” and “exactly the condition the developers expected us to pay money for”, which is clearly not the case.

• Wilson says:

@Benji – Yeah, that all sounds fair enough. Sadly it still isn’t working for me (crashes and messes up the PC enough to need a restart after playing for a certain amount of time) but I’m hopefully an exception. They obviously care about their game though, so I’m not angry since I’m confident that it’ll be fixed. It’s when big studios who only release 2-3 patches after a game with a month between each one put out unfinished stuff that it really annoys me, even though I’ve generally been lucky enough not to be hit by too many game breaking bugs in my time.

• DJ Phantoon says:

I know you guys are used to having things delayed to have more content, or have bugs fixed, but the fact that Super Meat Boy released on NOT Valve time says a lot. I think a few bugs are worth it when it means we get to play it.

I guess it seems silly to mention that a few bugs are worth being able to play it when I’m sure some of you constantly complain about Minecraft not already being finished. Complaining: It’s a sport of champions!

• BonusWavePilot says:

Works well here. Up to CHAD and the only glitch I’ve encountered is an infrequent tendency to be able to drop through a corner of the wall and floor if you hit it going quickly. A drop in the ocean really given the number I’ve lives I’m burning anway, though if I managed to shorcut part of a level with it it’d be a bit cheap I s’pose.

4. Tyrmot says:

I heartily endorse this meat-based product.

5. Dood says:

Man this game is difficult. But like VVVVVV the insta-respawn mechanic just doesn’t give you a break when you die, so there is no opportunity to be upset. It’s just spawn-die-spawn-die-spawn-die-…-win. Pretty captivating game this. Also the soundtrack is awesome. (Again like VVVVVV)

6. Srekel says:

How does it compare to the console version (in terms of controls)? I haven’t played either version so my question is simply: on which platform shuold I get it? (preferrably PC if there’s no major difference)

• terry says:

At the moment keys aren’t redefinable and the game flat out tells you to use a controller at the start.

It is brilliant, though, and when the bugs are ironed out it’ll be sublime.

Rinox says:

That don’t mean you need to refrain from PC tho! Just buy a wired Xbox 360 controller for the PC. :-)

• Bhazor says:

You can’t redefine keys but there are at least 2 layouts already.
      I use arrow keys plus A to dash S to jump and D to shift to the dark zones because I’m a freak who doesn’t like using the space bar to jump.

• Srekel says:

So preferably it should be played with a controller and not the keyboard?

• Bok says:

I much prefer playing PC versions but for platform games like Super Meat Boy, I find it more confortable to use a controller.. so you can have it on either console/pc really as long as you have a controller with a usb adapter. (The Xbox360 usb controller works flawlessly with the PC port because the game was designed for the Xbox360.. might have trouble with other gamepads)

• iniudan says:

You can also get Saitek Cyborg Rumble Pad, even the not Xbox approved version (the approved one is easy to recognize since it got an Xbox button instead of FPS button) work perfectly fine and it got the advantage of having a left joystick and pad that on a hot swap platform, so can easily switch left joystick and joypad position between each other even when powered (main reason I bought it, it was also cheaper then an Xbox360 controller around here) and programmable key once the software is install, so can easily switch which key is which for the normal and FPS mode, which basically switch the gamepad to be considered a keyboard and mouse, let you have gamepad support on game that normaly don’t have it, tested with Mount & Blade for the heck of it, it sucked compared to good old keyboard and mouse, but I do see a use (just not in FPS game =p).

• Melonfodder says:

In my experience I’ve found the controls pretty much equal. It’s all down to preference, since it’s all digital anyway. Use A and S instead of space and shift though!

• Zyrxil says:

I don’t understand people who use a controller for this. Pure digital keys are far more accurate since there are no analog style movements (all Left or Right), and a gamepad dpad is far too mushy and imprecise compared to keyboard keys.

• iniudan says:

@Zyrxil

Funny me it is keyboard key that I find too mushy for my finger reflex (at least on high profile key keyboard, which is what most people not using a laptop have), but I admit I would be able to do it with a low profile key keyboard, but finding a low profile key keyboard that doesn’t have a premium cost is other thing, so I just stick to my high profile key since it doesn’t cause trouble with about any other game or typing and got a gamepad for when I come with game like SMB. =p

P.S. My finger rest position is one of holding a SNES controller, which could explain why I am more confortable playing this type of game with a controller also. =p

7. pakoito says:

I’m expecting tonight’s patch, and a (please) change in the control scheme, I cannot run a plataformer with my right hand on the arrows and I have to play cross handed and hurting my wrists.

8. Quxxy says:

I have to concur: the game is brutally hard, unforgiving, unrelenting, but so well put together that I can’t help but love it.

That said, I can’t play for more than a half hour or so at a time; otherwise, I get severe hand cramps.

Currently, I’m completely stuck on 5-1 at that jump with the two blades next to each other. Bloody hell, this game don’t mess around.

Oh, one point of criticism: 100 bandages for Mr. Minecraft? It’s going to take me forever to get than many. I’ve only just managed to unlock the headcrab! :'( Oh, and although it has Steam achievements, there’s no direct way of viewing them, nor does it tell you when you get one.

• Brumisator says:

I had my achievements pop up in the corner the usual steam way, and pressing shift-tab, like in any other steam game (or any game run through steam) opens the steam interface, where the latest achievements are visible and the entire list is a click away. Identical to any other game with achievements on Steam.

• Jerkstore says:

The morning after playing for 3 hours last night… my thumbs are red and I still have a weird cramp that I’ve never felt in my pinky from gripping my Sega Saturn USB pad.

• Lilliput King says:

So everyone else is getting handcramp from this too?

I think it’s just the two buttons you spend most of your time pressing being uncomfortably close together, but it already hurts like hell and all I’ve done is light + dark first world.

Also crashes. Many, many crashes.

9. nabeel says:

I’ve been playing it for quite a few hours since release, and really loving it. It has so many bugs though, all kinds of minor problems that they need to fix. A demo would definitely be a good thing to get people to buy the game, it has some excellent controls and levels.

10. Monchberter says:

Like ‘N’, only moreso.

Where’s N v1.6 Metanet software?

11. Quintin Smith says:

All! As has been mentioned above, a patch is allegedly hitting later today.

Eric says:

And a good thing, too. I love this game enough that I bought it twice, but the PC launch last night was pretty awful. People who couldn’t run it at all, people for whom it would lock up or crash, save game problems, framerate issues, no support for non-360 controllers….

I hope at some point they write up a post-mortem about what went wrong here, because they generated a shocking amount of (justifiable IMO) negative reaction from a crowd that wanted to love them based on the game’s massive hype (also justified IMO) from the 360 version.

12. Kefren says:

So it this a turn based strategy then?

13. Sid says:

The only bug I’ve noticed is that it sometimes crashes while exiting from the dark world into the main menu. Other than that, it’s been real smooth and fun. (Steam version with 360 controller)

14. man-eater chimp says:

I have this on PC now, and I love it completely.

Some serious bug fixes are needed though, and a little more keyboard support, then it will be perfect. Until then, it is merely fantastic.

15. Ian says:

It kind of depresses me that I know fine well that I’m going to buy a game that I also know fine well I’ll be horrendous at.

• terry says:

The thing is, its one of those rare games where you can see what you have to do usually straight away, and each time you die you know in an instant what you did wrong and how to improve. Unlike say N, which I gave up on because it was determined to kick me in the balls relentlessly. SMB kicks you in the balls while you’re not looking because you’re concentrating too much.

16. Brumisator says:

A patch so soon? Well hooray to that. It’s a very lazy port of the Xbox version. Control issues (also on the keyboard) aside, half the menus still have Xbox lingo, like “gamertag” and “press A”.

But despite minor technical difficulties, this game is absolute sexiness. Several light-years beyond the flash version.

17. panther says:

Bought it on 360 when it was released and SOOOO GOOOD. my god i love it

18. Monchberter says:

I’m sure they released in ‘Valve Time’. I remember this being advertised on Steam at the end of last year with a release date of May, or something like that…

(correct me if i’m wrong).

19. Torqual says:

As a vegetarian i cannot support this game! Do not buy this virtual piece of meat!

Just kidding. Its good and i bought it to satisfy my more animalistic desires. Nothing beats the smashing of a bloody red meat ball against a wall.

Have a nice day

20. CaptainHairy says:

Once the patch hits, I will have no reservation in adding this to my personal shortlist for game of the year. The damn thing just needs to support controllers properly and have a few more keyboard tweaks.

Also, to not crash on exit. Although it doesn’t hurt my enjoyment of the game, it’s a bit sloppy.

21. Bhazor says:

It did have a very… strange launch on Steam. Delayed by about 14 hours, with a constant message that it would be unlocked in two hours. Worse was it kept vanishing from peoples “My Games List” and as someone burned by Steam’s customers support before that was something I wasn’t looking forward to.

But the game is so good I really don’t care about all that now.

• Gnoupi says:

For me it unlocked at midnight gmt+1, so 5 hours after the official release date, not 14. It may be different depending on the time zone, but that would be surprising.

• Griff says:

The time until release on their website was based on the client-side time, so yes it was different in different timezones. Also you could change your computer’s time and it would tell you that it was released.

• qrter says:

The disappearing from games list seems to be a new launch ‘feature’ of Steam – the same thing happened with my preorder of Deathspank: Thongs of Virtue yesterday. It just disappeared from my games list. And an hour later it had reappeared.

• Bhazor says:

IIRC it was supposed to unlock at 8am according to the Team Meat site, noon according to the original Steam countdown but it didn’t unlock for me until around 10pm.

This is the first time I’ve preordered through Steam so I didn’t know the vanishing thing was normal. You can read a kind of rolling news version of the Steam launch on their Facebook page. Some people were not happy in the least.

• qrter says:

I have preordered regularly on Steam over the years, and this was the first time this happened. It’s a relatively new occurrence, apparently, is what I’m saying.

22. lokimotive says:

I’ve had a few issues on the PC so far. The game seems to have a major problem with any non XBOX 360 controller; for instance, when I started with my aging Logitech Dual Action, Meat Boy did nothing except run full bore to the left at the start of the level. After a bit of finagling, and thanks to some fine help from the frustrated people on the Steam board, I got an XBOX 360 controller emulator up and running and started running, jumping and getting eviscerated in fine form.

Now the only “issue” is that the game crashes when I exit, which just means that it takes Windows 7 a little while to allow me back into its system.

Other than that, though I would highly recommend that you DON’T play this game after doing an hours worth of dishes. My poor fingers have been bruised beyond belief.

23. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

I’m enjoying it. Didn’t crash.

Graphics are ugly.

24. Simon Dufour says:

The game crashed on me every time I finished level 1-2 or 1-3. I guess I’ll have to wait for the patch.

Eric says:

If by crashed you actually mean “froze”, I had the same thing happening to me until I re-verified the game cache in Steam (right-click on game, properties, advanced or something I think). After that, it stopped doing it.

25. Robin says:

Does this game support standard PC joysticks?

• iniudan says:

Currently no since it has hard time with most controller (but suppose to be patched from what posted), except if your joystick got a fonction to be able to switch to mouse and keyboard mode (think some saitek joystick might permit that since their cyborg rumble pad permit it (which is one of the non-xbox360 controller that work [but there is also an xbox360 approved version of this controller, so might be why it work]).

But would highly suggest against it if your joystick is not made of high quality component, you just risk to destroy it due to high speed movement required.

26. John Peat says:

I have to be the humbug here – I think this is gaming with all the fun drained out of it.

For me, the ‘fun’/challenge of a game lies in the slack it cuts the player in how they approach it and how well they execute their moves. This game has no slack whatsoever – there is ‘A’ way to play it and you have to play it perfectly – or die.

I appreciate that it’s the whole idea and I’m glad people like that – it’s certainly briliantly executed (on 360 at least) – but I find the end result more like a form of torture than a game…

• MrTambourineMan says:

That’s true, but the hard mothafuckin fact of life is that once you finish a certain level, you will be able to finish it again without much hassle – this is a skill based game, not luck based as someone might have tought after reading you post.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

No pain, no gain.

• Wilson says:

@John Peat – I know what you mean, and I’m certainly glad that most games aren’t like SMB. However, I like a little bit of brutally hard platforming now and then, so I’ve enjoyed what I’ve been able to play of the game so far. Though I doubt I’ll necessarily get far through the dark levels.

• DrGonzo says:

I’m not sure why you think his post suggested luck. Just that there is only one solution to the levels and it would be more interesting if you could improvise a bit, and there were a few solutions to some of the levels.

• PhiIl Cameron says:

Actually, I’ve found that there are usually at least two ways to do each level. The way that’s obvious, and the balls-to-the-wall crazy way that requires infinitely more precision, but nets you a much faster time. Sometimes you’ll be able to skip out huge chunks of platforms and the like if you can land in just the right spot, forgoing the obvious way.

So quite a bit of space for improvisation and lateral level solving, really.

• John Peat says:

@TambourineMan – Hmmm – I’m not sure the “once you’ve completed a level you’ll be able to do it again easily” idea really applies (it may be easier but it’s still not going to be ‘easy’).

I’m also sceptical of the ‘skill based’ comment – it’s typical “I’m a HARDCORE GAMER” bravado bullshit, there’s no more skill involved with a game like this – just more resistance to failure.

It’s skillful to play a game where you can adapt, find new routes etc. etc.

I’m really not sure ‘skill’ is the right word for a game where you play the level 20,000 times until you find the perfect combination of movements it requires. That’s more ‘persistance’ than anything else…

Again tho – if you like this sort of thing that’s great – tho I suspect some people like slamming their fingers in doors too and – well…

• Lizardman says:

Personally, I’ve found on a number the levels you can take an alternate route, which is often quicker and more technically challenging.

• Lilliput King says:

Coming across a little defensive now John.

I don’t see how you can claim it isn’t skill-based. If someone played three hours of this and sat down with someone who played ten minutes in order to see who could get the best times, well, what do you reckon will happen? That’s ‘skill,’ surely?

It might not necessarily be valid or worthwhile or any such thing, but it’s skill.

• puked says:

It’s okay to QQ over Super Meat Boy, John, you don’t have to make odd excuses about it.

27. Guigr says:

You said it would sale a lot more if there was a demo. I think it’s already reaching the high water mark for indie games sales.

A game I would REALLY want to succeed thanks to a demo is Nimbus. It’s getting ridiculously good reviews, is cheaper and noone talks about it.

I’ll buy SMB as soon as I finish this one.

• Matt says:

I second that- Nimbus is a great (GRRRREAT!?) game, and wholly unlike anything else I’ve played.

• John Peat says:

I’m surprised there’s not a demo – obv. being a 360 titles it had to have a demo there…

There is a slight element of “the demo will scare some people WAY off” of course – and it will because the game is brutal in a way nothing else I’ve played has been (not tried VVVVVVVVVV – not slammed my fingers in a door deliberately either!!)

stahlwerk says:

Looking forward to play this when I have the time… is there word on the street about a Mac port? Steam cloud save support? Playing this on the train on my trip home for christmas would really help me set into a holiday mood, so having it run on my weak-ass smudgy-white Macbook would be a boon.

29. laikapants says:

First platformer probably since Sonic & Knuckles that doesn’t make me want to crush everything in sight. Despite dying possibly hundreds of times on a single level, I’ve never gotten mad at the game. Just ever trying to nail that jump at *just* the right moment. A solid bit of tightness if there ever was one.

The PC version does need to have a fleet of industrial irons run over it repeatedly though. Mine never crashed, but the jumping wasn’t as tight as the 360 one (I would suddenly be running when I wasn’t or what have you).

+1 to the sad Mr. Minecraft is the final unlock. I’ll never ever see him in action unless I make a map that consists solely of bandages when the editor arrives. Though I doubt that is possible.

• pakoito says:

Or you can cheat properly and use launch commands to unlock him. Google it beach!

• laikapants says:

@pakoito: Ooooo, I shall do that very thing sometime after being liberated from work.

30. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

If a patch come out tonight *and* fixes all the issues I will consume any broomstick I can get my hands on. Team Meat has a certain history of being too optimistic in their development predictions.

31. firzen says:

Anyone else using an arcade stick to play this? Soooooooooooo good.

32. Linfosoma says:

I pre-ordered a few days ago, I love the game and so far had no problems with the PC version. Also, the first boss level is hard.

33. Jerkstore says:

Best game of 2010.

34. porfirion says:

While this certainly does seem as a good platformer, I must say that seeing the incessant hype for this game made me nauseous. I mean, every week or so at least one article about Meat Boy was published on Indie Games Blog. And the thing that bothers me is why, with all of these articles, previews and what have you, nobody (not reviewers, nor the game developers) seemed to mention the Jumper series? Meat Boy seems just like an updated version of Jumper Two. Even the main character looks the same. I know that they put Jumper character, Ogmo, in the game, but that still doesn’t defend it from being a rip-off.
    I mean, look at these:
    Brilliant games, both very difficult and made in the Game Maker by the guy behind brilliant Runman. I’m not trying to start flamewar, but just want to see the original developers in spotlight more often. So here’s the site: mattmakesgames.com

That said, I will try Meat Boy. It looks great.

• Sander Bos says:

SMB also reminded me of I wanna be the guy, with its many many references to other games and high difficulty. I just played jumper 2 for a while.

In SMB, the speed of the character movement is soooo much higher then in the other two games. And this makes it like comparing Mario to Sonic (although I like Mario a lot more). Just because it is a hard platformer with similar looks, the actual gameplay experience is very different because of the way the character moves (you can jump about three quarters across the screen in a single jump).

But thanks for mentioning the jumper games, I think I will play them when I am sick of SMB (although if you play them on a single day jumper does look like a snorefest, again because of the speed difference). Also thanks to Guigr for recommending Nimbus which I never heard of but seems very interesting. As you mentioned, SMB basically also serves as an ad platform for the even more indy games because of the included characters.

• Dominic White says:

“Even the main character looks the same. I know that they put Jumper character, Ogmo, in the game, but that still doesn’t defend it from being a rip-off.”

How about the fact that the developer of Jumper did a bunch of level design for Super Meat Boy? Going to complain about him ripping himself off now?

• porfirion says:

Just played SMB. It’s way easier than Jumper series. And it is faster. Great intertextual (intergaming?) references, especially with the “Insert Coint” screen.

I second the Nimbus recommendation. Great gameplay and good music. You know, the indie games nowadays remind me of my Amiga days. Tons of good gameplay designed with limited resources.

• porfirion says:

Sorry, I didn’t know that. Too little information provided with the release of the game. Or maybe my reading ability dies.

35. zergrush says:

The only thing that bothered me was crashing on alt-tab.

Fatbubba says:

Got VVVVVV during the sales and was very happy with it, even if it was over pretty quickly. It did spark an interest in SMB as well though.

I should have gotten the cheaper pre-order on Steam. Here’s to hoping for a nice sale during Christmas.

• Devenger says:

Likewise here. A nice sale, particularly sometime after the game is more stable, and I’ll get it. Having seen others playing it, it looks wonderful in motion – though the bugs I saw were pretty damning for a fast-paced platformer (on one computer, it kept skipping a few frames every couple of seconds; on another, jumping was… somewhat temperamental). And it is so obviously a console port… but I’ve accepted that. PC gamers can’t afford to be stuck up about that stuff any more – the love for the PC has dwindled so much, and I’m not sure whether it’s coming back any time soon.

37. Jaedar says:

The game just told me I unlocked “Teh internets” isn’t this feature exclusive to the Xbawks?

• Eclipse says:

Yes, Teh Internets is an hub world for xbox only, PC will have another hub world with access to the user made levels when they release the level editor. They’ll rename Teh Internets in something else (maybe Super Meat World) and it will be available when they release the level editor

38. KJR says:

Not a platforming fan. Not much of an indie gamer. Strangely, absolutely adored this game on 360. Hope the PC port is worthy, more should be exposed to this kind of fun.

39. Mooglepies says:

One of the best games of this year. Unfortunately, I’ve encountered a game-breaking bug where I can’t beat the last boss because said boss won’t spawn (you need to knock him into a pit by pressing a button and because he doesn’t spawn, the game won’t recognise that you’ve beaten the level). Most irritating.

• Army of None says:

This’ll be fixed in the upcoming patch :D

• Ziv says:

This is the strangest bug. According to the blog the boss files just didn’t ship with SOME of the games. He forgot them xp

40. iLag says:

no Steam Cloud support? that’s not good. also: don’t pause your game, otherwise youwon’t be able to jump any more without restarting the level.

41. Hah says:

It says a lot about your integrity (or lack thereof) that you’re telling people to go buy the horribly broken (and for many people completely unplayable) steam version right the fuck now, based solely on your experience with it on a completely different platform.

• GHudston says:

It says a lot about his integrity that he would recommend that everyone buy an absolutely phenomenal game from a developer that you can trust to fix the bugs in record time.

They fudged the release a bit, it happens, give them a break.

• DrGonzo says:

You don’t know they will fix it though. He does have a point I think. Even if it wasn’t broken or anything I’m still a bit miffed that they played the 360 version. I don’t give a fuck how it plays on a 360 controller frankly.

42. Shagittarius says:

Boring.

43. Collic says:

Is this playable with a keyboard?

• Eclipse says:

Yes! Actually I think it’s better using a keyboard than that shitty xbox controller (let’s face it, the DPAD sucks big time and the analog stick isn’t good at all for 2d platformers). So actually A S + cursor keys is the best way to play the game hands down

• DrGonzo says:

Well, now that makes me want to play it, but I’ve heard a lot of people saying the keyboard controls are bjorked. That was a typo of borked, but I think it’s much better.

• Brownie says:

I’ve heard a lot of people saying the keyboard controls are bjorked.

That’s probably dependent on the keyboard. Not all keyboards handle simultaneous key presses well — mine for instance. Can’t wait until DirectInput is working properly. Hopefully that will be in the next patch to be released tomorrow.

• pakoito says:

Playable? yes, but not optimal. But at least I have to play with my hands crossed across the board to fit the WASD pattern I’m used to, and my wrists hurt after a bit. And the gamepad is more responsive on mid-air recalculations.

44. Eclipse says:

BEST PLATFORM EVER.

45. Bill says:

it’s cheaper on d2d.

Sinomatic says:

Its also late on D2D….unless anyone else can get their download button to work? (maybe valve time is catching on)

• Jonas.W says:

@Sinomatic

I can’t seem to manage downloading from D2D either. I did get an email from them with a bunch of dead links in it though, if that helps.

Sinomatic says:

As of the last few minutes the download button went back to being a pre-order button too.

46. Dominic White says:

If your controller isn’t supported directly by the game at the moment, here’s a simple fix:

You can use this to bind keyboard/mouse inputs to a pad. Just bind left/right/A/S to whatever pad functions you want and away you go.

• Zyrxil says:

Or, for a simpler solution, http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/ , 360 pad dll wrapper. But the splash screen lies when it says the pad is better.

• bill says:

@Zyrxil:

Cool, thanks for that. Not for this game, but for the dozens of games recently that seem to REQUIRE a 360 pad, despite the fact i have a quite serviceable old pad here.

Seems to be a requirement of XNA/Live arcade that they block other gamepads.

47. pupsikaso says:

Not touching this without a demo.

Also, playing a platformer with a controller? For shame, sirs.

48. ScubaMonster says:

I haven’t played this yet, but from the videos I’ve watched, I’m just not seeing how this is that great. I’m all for indie games, but it looks rather average as far as platforming games go. Looks like a good Game Maker game, not really something I’d want to buy. Maybe I’m just jaded, who knows.

49. catska says:

And this, friends, is why people stopped playing PC games. Buggy software like this released to consumers which are now paid beta-testers. A team of two people can hardly be expected to create software that runs smoothly on potentially thousands of different hardware configurations. There is no more confidence in buying software and having it ‘just work’, no matter how good your hardware is.

It’s not just in these small indie games, you could also spend 50 bucks on Civ5 and realize that even though its graphics aren’t good at all, its bringing your $2000 rig to its knees and running at 15fps 10 minutes after launching the game. Or you could spend money on Brad Wardell’s latest disaster, Elemental, and have the game be completely broken for months after its release.

Like it or not these problems just don’t exist on console. While everyone here waits patiently for the next few months for bug fixes and patches from this two man team, all of us who bought it for $10 on the Xbox months ago will be happily playing bug-free.

• Dominic White says:

Actually, the 360 version launched with some nasty bugs, too, and developers are allowed to release ONE patch for free (which has to pass Microsoft certification – a process that can take up to a month), and any patch releases after that have to actually be paid for to go through cert.

Neither side wins here. I must say, I appreciate the hotfix-capability of the PC quite a bit in situations like this.

• Sander Bos says:

Exactly, to console (pun intended) PC players, on XBox 360 the game resets itself if an XBox live background download completes.
      Also, autosave is actually implemented as ‘occasionalsave’ (these days I always go back to the map by definition after completing a level, then it saves I believe).
      I once lost 3 levels of progress due to the combination these bugs, and not easy levels either (I thought at the time anyway). ‘SMB devoured my progress, it was really good progress’

• Bhazor says:

“Like it or not these problems just don’t exist on console.”

Now I know you aint played much of that Red Dead Redemption now have ya son?

• ScubaMonster says:

I think the accurate description is “these problems didn’t USED to exist on consoles”. Nowadays, it seems sometimes console games are just as buggy as some sloppy PC games. I don’t know if it’s the fact that console games are more advanced and now becoming more equal with PC games so these problems will crop up, or if it’s just that since consoles are online and capable of patching the devs are less focused on QA. Not that old school console games didn’t have bugs, but those were relatively few and far between. Nothing game breaking at all.

• liq3 says:

2 things.

1. Only bugs I’ve encountered are the “can’t escape level after picking a char” bug and… oh wait that’s it.
      2. The above bug is hardly stopping me playing the game .Also, it just updated. *quickly tests update*.

Oh, what do you know. That update that I just got while typing this fixed the only bug I was experiencing. So now it’s basically bugless as far as I can tell (maybe one snuck in with the update).

You know what? There’s a reason these problems don’t exist on the console. That’s because everyone has exactly the same hardware. PC’s have huge hardware diversity. It’s simply impossible for an indie team of 2 to test on huge ranges of hardware, so unexpected bugs make it in. They aren’t like Blizzard where they can do a 20,000+ person beta (that lasts like 5+ months) with a huge range of hardware being tested. All they CAN do is release the game and fix bugs as they come up.

• DJ Phantoon says:

GET OUT OF HERE STAL- TROLL.

• Ted says:

No, people just stopped playing lazy PC ports. Like this piece of garbage.

• Lilliput King says:

I’ve been playing Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood on the PS3 and while it is absolutely great, when I first loaded it up the multiplayer was in an awful state, dropping connection randomly for minutes at a time, kicking me out of games, etc.

The day after the game automatically updates as I start it up, and I get no more problems. Buggy software is a universal constant, and nothing to get upset about. What matters is how it’s dealt with.

Lambchops says:

So I’m enjoying this so far, even if it does get too difficult later. I’m already getting the compulsions that these games feed on, trying to get A+ ratings on all the levels on the first world before taking on the boss, get as many bandages as I can and find the warp zones, though I feel these compulsions will fade once the difficulty raises.

The levels seem really nicely designed with multiple ways to get through them and a few oppurtunities for some immensly satisfying on the fly platforming antics.

On the down side I have hit performance issues (though nothing too crippling so far). On the level in the first world with a fiery background there’s definitely some slowdown or input lag or something – I found jumping just a fraction unresponsive compared to the other levels and while not a problem in this relatively straightforward level I can sense this being immensly frustrating in later levels if it isn’t sorted.

Anyway definitely enjoyable so far.