This Is: Air Conflicts: Secret Wars

By Jim Rossignol on December 2nd, 2010 at 9:31 am.

It’s remarkable that I am able to bring you any news today, since all other services in the UK seem to have been buried alive, or consumed by panic at the sight of frozen water. We at RPS Ltd fear no weather, however, and will bravely sit in our warm houses to bring you latest in PC gaming news. Except John, who is supposed to be going to London to interview famous people. Good luck, John! Anyway, there must be news. Like this: BitComposer send word that they intend to publish a flying, shooting game based on World War I & II, called Air Conflicts: Secret Wars. Look, there’s a picture of it above these words! See the little men. Air Conflicts is, apparently, a game about attacking ground targets with a selection of planes from the era, with missions including convoy raids, escort exercises, and other air-to-ground goodness. The secret bit comes from the air raids all being about historical resistance or espionage: “Seven campaigns, each based upon a resistance movement of the second world war.” I’m not sure where that leaves the aforementioned World War I. Maybe that’s the tutorial level. The game is described as having two control schemes: “Arcade and simulation.” Hopefully one of those will be good.

When is the game out? Q2 2011, that’s when.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Rich says:

Those little men seem not to care very much that a stuka just blew up one of their tanks.

Edit: Also, the stuka looks very AirFix, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

2. Alex Bakke says:

Even the company that’s supposed to be delivering my new power supply has a faulty website, because of the snow.

• Rich says:

It hasn’t happened this time, but it’s amusing when the north gets covered in 3 feet of snow and the news reports it as “some bad weather in remote regions”, but when the flakes start landing on London it’s “BIG FREEZE KILLS EVERYONE!”.

AndrewC says:

That’s because everyone in the north is still out in their shirt sleeves saying ‘You shoulda seen t’weather we ‘ad when i were a lad!’, and things like that.

• DJ Phantoon says:

English people talk funny.

• pagad says:

Incorrect usage of “t'”. You only use “t'” as a contraction of “to the”, not “the” by itself. So “You shoulda seen t’weather” means “You shoulda seen to the weather”. “You shoulda seen weather” would be correct.

(I am not actually Northern, but my girlfriend is)

DJ Phantoon: I am assuming you are American and are therefore in no position to talk.

• Renzatic says:

Pagad: As an American, I believe you British folk use too many unnecessary U’s in your words.

I’m not really criticizing or anything. Just saying is all. Well okay, I am criticizing, cuz it makes me SO ANGRY! :mad:

• harald74 says:

I’d point and laugh from my lair up here in frozen Norway (30 cm brings the country to a standstill?!?), but then again I’m afraid that you’ll mock me later when I’ll succumb to heat stroke in +25C weather.

3. JohnnyMaverik says:

“since all other services in the UK seem to have been buried alive, or consumed by panic at the sight of frozen water”

Except my bloody class today, I thought it was a given we’d get the day off so I stayed up late doing some work and then playing Super Meat Boy, but sadly year 1 have a cancellation email, year 3 have a cancellation email, year 2 (my year), no email and therefore presumably still a class.

:'(

The game looks and sounds pretty cool though so that’s nice I guess.

• Gepetto says:

‘cancellation email?!?’ I remember when such things were broadcast over the wireless.

• Bornemannen says:

Back in my day we got a stone with a note wrapped around it thrown through the window. Good thing this was before glass was invented.

4. Bornemannen says:

We can’t we get another Wings? I want an arcade-like sim that spans an entire conflict and has a somewhat good story…

phlebas says:

Slay your enemies and all that you desire shall be yours!

6. Vanger says:

1) “Seven campaigns, each based upon a resistance movement of the second world war”
    2) “a game about attacking ground targets”
    3) Ju-87 on the screenshot.

leads to conclusion that the game will concentrate on bombing la Resistance.

An interesting twist.

Colthor says:

World Wars 1 and 2 are secrets now? Blimey, history education must really be going down the pan.

8. alh_p says:

Why only air to ground? It would certainly be a niche market (“No, I’m not interested in shooting other flying things, only the ant-like people on the ground”), but aren’t they missing out quite a bit with no air-to-air shenanigans?

• pagad says:

I imagine air-to-air isn’t ruled out, just secondary.

It’d even be possible to do air-to-air stuff in a Stuka (no really, Hans Ulrich Rudel actually shot down enemy fighters in his. You know, when he wasn’t doing other crazy shit like sinking a battleship)

9. Mad Doc MacRae says:

I want this to be World of Planes.

10. Megadeth89 says:

This is not simulation? Pass, I’ll wait for Storm of War: Battle of Britain, the true sequel to Il2 Stumovik. Why do they bring these stupid arcade Flying Combat games to Pc? Pc wants simulation, not arcade.