Backflip: Tomb Raider Reboot Announced

By John Walker on December 6th, 2010 at 2:36 pm.

The staring eyes of Ms Croft.

One of my favourite things of recent years has been the standard of Crystal Dynamics’ Tomb Raider games. While there’s no doubt there’s Lara fatigue, it’s inappropriate when they’re some of the finest action platform/shooters around. So it’s with a happy face that I greet the news that the next game from the team is a complete reboot of the series, simply called Tomb Raider. The announcement comes via the cover of the next Game Informer, along with a press release. Details below.

So this is a fresh start, a new Lara. Which seems fair enough. CD had rescued Core’s mess after Angel Of Darkness, and probably taken Ms Croft as far as she could go within the framework. That’s all wiped from history now, and we’re starting with a young Lara once again. The story begins:

“After a brutal storm destroys the boat she was travelling on, a frightened young woman is left washed ashore on an unknown beach. On her own but not alone she has only one goal, to survive.”

And that’s pretty much all we know at this point, until the content of January’s Game Informer gets leaked. But the focus here appears to be on Lara’s being an “ordinary woman”. Hopefully also an ordinary Olympic gymnast, or it might just be about sitting huddled in a cave. She will “find out just how far she must go in order to stay alive.”

Crystal Dynamics boss Darrel Gallagher informs us to wipe our brains Men In Black style.

“Forget everything you knew about TOMB RAIDER. This is an origins story that creates Lara Croft and takes her on a character defining journey like no other.”

One where she learns to produce jelly from her eyes and nose, then invents halogen? That would be like no other origin story I’ve read.

But the prospect of a whole fresh take on the series by a developer as reliably great as CD thrills me. So hooray.

, , , .

1. The Hammer says:

So… she isn’t going to be a stupidly rich archaeologist?

:((((

• Man Raised By Puffins says:

Or voiced by HAWES?

• westyfield says:

Needs more Hawes.

Whether I’m talking about the game or my life is for you to decide.

• Wulf says:

@westyfield

Is the euphemism involved with reading that phonetically intended, or was that an unintentional layer of hilarity?

• westyfield says:

@Wulf
      Unintended. I did notice it before posting, but decided to leave it, because Man Raised By Puffins had already referred to her by her surname.

• Maphis says:

Tricia Helfer is the face/body model. Calling it.

• DrGonzo says:

I really hope they bring back Ms Hawes for this game. It just wouldn’t feel like Lara Croft to me without her doing the voice.

AndrewC says:

Lucas Haas is the face model, calling it.

2. Quintin Smith says:

I ma excited

3. strange headache says:

For once they focused on her face, not her cleavage, Consider me impressed already!

• Jsnuk says:

I’m actually holding out hope for her to have modest to small sized chesticles, maybe then we, as gamers, can claim the classiness we allways thought we were entitled to anyway.

• tanith says:

Exactly what I’m hoping for, either!

A big busted, scantily clad “archaeologist” who ran around and gunned everything down seemed always very fishy to me. Maybe the new title will actually get me to play it again.

• Daniel Rivas says:

“Chesticles” might be, I think, the worst of all the words.

• Shagittarius says:

I’m hoping for tig ol’ bitties.

• DXN says:

@Daniel Rivas:

Only because “lovely lady lumps” is several words.

• VG-Alchemist says:

@Jsnuk Lara has to stay as hot as always! Take your Zoey and that constantly talking Gorden Freeman sidekick and begone!

4. Garg says:

I hope he shouted “TOMB RAIDER” in that quote.

• psycho7005 says:

You didn’t hear him? It destroyed several major cities…

• Wulf says:

RIIIIDGE RAAACER! Oh, wait, no, sorry… wrong meme.

• Thants says:

MORTAL COMBAT!

• James T says:

He actually shouted ‘Tom Braider’, it’s a new franchise, hence all this confusion about a supposed reboot.

I thought that eyes-only picture was pretty neat… then I saw the cover, and her face going thoroughly Pete Tong about halfway down her nose. Oh well!

5. Simon Dufour says:

I truly liked Underworld. I bought Legend and the Anniversary edition on Steam and I’m pretty thrilled about this announcement. I think the new Lara is truly great too. GJ Crystal Dynamic, you rock! BTW, I got Underworld reviewed on my blog. It’s not long.

9.5/10 – Masterpiece

• Tom says:

Seriously?! You recommend quick time events!? I was thinking I might try underworld but after you say the game would improve by using quick time events then I’m sorry but I can’t take you seriously especially when you say the combat is not entertaining yet award gameplay 9/10

• Simon Dufour says:

Underworld isn’t about combat. It’s about exploration and atmosphere.

If they really want to have combat, I’d prefer if it actually leaded somewhere and not simply pop spiders from nowhere for you to aim at and shoot. Providing some cinematic elements or making some “on rail” stuff could be a solution.

The combat is weak in Underworld but it doesn’t affect the game that much. Look at all the other reviews out there, they say the same specific thing. What I remember of TR:Underworld is not fighting shark in the ocean, it’s exploring underwater caves and scaling the cliffside in thailand. It’s wrapping my grappling hook around a beam and use it as a pulley to activate a lever.

Personally, I think they simply should remove all the combat from the next installement, or at least, make it DRASTICALLY different. It simply don’t work. The rest of the game is stellar enough without it anyway. My suggestion was simply to make sub par fighting into glorified cutscenes. Which would probably be more enjoyable.

I probably should have clarified a bit more in my old review. I don’t do this for a living. I’m simply trying to share opinions around.

• DrGonzo says:

Underworld was pretty good but far from a classic. It was too samey throughout and lacked any real originality. But for while it lasted it was fun. Though I couldn’t bring myself to finish it. ‘Oh look another grey brown cavern!’ Terrible motorbike bits also were quite a downer, but it was still a great game.

In fact it did its own version of quick time events very well. They still had the usual controls, none of this ‘press x not to die’ bollocks. They just slowed down time and expected you to pull off some crazy acrobatics to save your life. It worked incredibly well, it got the excitement of quick time events while still letting you be in control of your character.

Overall I would have said it was a 7/10. Great fun little game. But getting stale and in need of a reboot, or just leaving it at that.

• jon_hill987 says:

@tom:

I didn’t recommend adding QTE. In fact I suggested that the lack of them made this game far better than Legend.

6. Lewie Procter says:

Interesting premise, I’m certainly more excited about this than I would be another direct sequel.

You’d have thought they’d have maybe a screenshot or something new, seems odd to “unveil” something when literally all of the info they are unveiling was leaked so long ago. At least it is official now.

7. Text_Fish says:

I thought it was pretty much rebooted when Crystal Dynamics took over in the first place.

If they want to do something different maybe they should shock everybody and invent a new IP. LOLFLMANO.

8. Dawngreeter says:

This sounds nice and all, but does it really have to be Lara? How is the experience improved by it being Lara in a Tomb Raider-titled game? If the whole thing is reinvented, why not just call it Tomb Raider-inspired and be free from the mistakes of their elders?

• Rich says:

Never underestimate the value of an existing name.

• Wulf says:

Especially when that name is a wang dang doodle-rousing one, for the masses. Sigh.

I still recall when my sister’s beau commented on how game characters seem to look better than real women. Sigh.

Yes, never underestimate the value of a name. There are many men who’d still raise tents to a name like Tomb Raider, and therefore it’s a very marketable name.

On an intellectual level though, I’m with you. I’d love to see a new IP from CrysDyn.

• Rich says:

“game characters seem to look better than real women”

Oh yeah. Gotta love a pair of jubs that look like two of Kryten’s spare heads.

• Wulf says:

I said something to that effect, too. But this is apparently how the average mainstream gamer seems to think, and nothing has ever really challenged my perception of that. What can you do?

• DrGonzo says:

So are the new Batman films shit for not just being a Batman inspired character rather than Batman himself?

• Rich says:

The character in the new Batman films is Batman, aka Bruce Wayne, with a back story that hasn’t been changed much. The reboot consisted of starting the story again, keeping most of its important points, and throwing away the campness.

In this case however, and I’m not saying it’s a bad idea, they seem to be completely changing who Lara is. She isn’t the acrobatic grave robbing rich girl any more, or so they say.

• Dawngreeter says:

Reinterpretation of known content can be a very interesting thing. You can use what everyone already knows about the subject matter and use it to create awesome things. In Batman Begins, you know who Batman is and this knowledge informs your experience of the movie. In fact, the new Joker from Dark Knight is probably the greatest movie villain ever and certainly one of the best acted characters of all time exactly because we already know Joker. He would’ve been awesome without any previous knowledge too, of course, but it’s the mixture of same old and completely different that gives it the extra edge. The movie uses our assumptions to create a better experience so you can see Two Face foreshadowed with hardly any effort at all.

Snyder’s Dawn of the Dead used both the fame of the original movie and general knowledge of the Romero-inspired zombie genre to its fullest, as the movie intro shows. We already know what is going to happen so you might as well make it a pedal-to-the-metal rubber burning drag race-equivalent of a movie opening. This is not possible if subject matter isn’t something the audience is fully familiar with.

And then there’s the new Buffy movie or new Tomb Raider. We obviously have no idea how either of those will turn out but discarding the entire mythology and building something for scratch just because the name has recognition value is stupid. It’s Rollerball remake-grade catastrophe waiting to happen.

9. EALouise says:

/me donates money. Damn judgemental eyes.

10. toaster says:

Hopefully she doesn’t look like plastic. The games and exploration was fun, but sometimes the character models were.. iffy.

11. MartinNr5 says:

Yay!

I’m all for this as long as they go with the exploration angle and not the backflip-while-riding-a-bike-and-shooting-bad-guys-in-the-face angle.

• Simon Dufour says:

I agree with you sir. That will make the difference between WIN and FAIL to me. The fact that they claim she aims to survive kind of make me fear for the worst. I hope it’s not an island full of mercenaries where she steal a bike in the first cutscene.

• Ushao says:

Then later encounters aliens and/or genetic experiments for no discernible reason.

• Simon Dufour says:

Ok. Maybe not the latest indiana jones. And.. indiana jones had guns too. Could we simply explore tombs. Like.. with no magic involved? Simply for finding stuff?

12. Simon Dufour says:

I’m happy that they went with a reboot. I feared Tomb Raider would turn into a mix of Splinter Cell (gadgets and lacking combat) and Prince of Persia (Platforming and lacking combat).

I personally hope they focus on the best. Platforming in ruin in a LOW-MAGIC settings. The recent too high-tech gadgets and the fantasy of gods, magic and withcraft didn’t fit. I prefer some truly ancient temples with trap. A more indiana jones vibe.

An origin story with her stuck on a desert island is perfect for that. I simply hope they don’t focus on combat too much..

• Xocrates says:

Recent? The original tomb raider had her go against an Atlantean Demigod or somesuch and she was fighting off mythological creatures before the game’s midpoint.

And the High-tech gadgets is debatable, since none of them affect gameplay (unless you consider a grapling hook as high-tech)

Oh, not to mention that the first thing you know about her is that she killed a yeti.

• Simon Dufour says:

Perhaps you’re right about the mythology part. I’d prefer her finding artefact but without the magic part of it.

As for the high-tech gadget, I meant the bombs, sonar 3D map, motorcycle, etc. Still, I’d prefer if she had a regular rope.

To me, exploring tombs don’t imply dual wielding berettas.

• Xocrates says:

Oh right, I forgot about the grenades and sonar since I never used them :P

• Loomchild says:

Actually, in Underworld Lara uses magic / divine / whatever gauntlets to move and activate objects and in my humble opinion it was an interesting addition to gameplay. And I concur with whoever said that Tomb Raider has always been mystical. I’d even go so far as declare that Indiana Jones has also always been mystical (Raiders of the lost Ark -> Lost ark, Temple of doom -> magical stones, Last crusade -> Holy grail, and errr… yeah, aliens in the last one).

• DrGonzo says:

Yeah, arguably the most iconic moment in Tomb Raider is fighting the T-Rex in the first game. I agree the combat is pants, I don’t agree they should just remove it though. It should be just about running away and staying alive I feel.

Having magic in the games shouldn’t be a problem as long as they approach it from a similar point of view to the Lost Ark. As in, the protagonist is sceptical, and they don’t reveal whether any of it is actually real until the end.

Of course that means you can’t make sequels though so it probably won’t work like that. Though they still made sequels to the Lost Ark for some reason. Even after two shit sequels they decided to go back to it, just to prove it was impossible to make a really good Indiana Jones sequel. Why did no one realise that the first films end twist ruins any possible sequels.

13. clownst0pper says:

They should follow Unchartereds lead only with real, in-depth puzzles and plenty of exploration!

JiminyJickers says:

To me, Uncharted was just one long boring fight scene which is very reminiscent of the Prince of Persia, sands of time, where you enter a room and have to fight a million enemies before being able to go to the next room where you have to repeat. Personally I hope it doesn’t take anything from Uncharted.

• DrGonzo says:

They could take the engine from it. It does look fantastic after all, even if it is one of the blandest franchises in existence.

14. Edawan says:

So it’s Tomb Raider Begins ?

15. Alien426 says:

As a general rule I don’t like reboots. Even less when they completely ignore the previous titles’ names.

Prince Of Persia is a 2D platformer!
    Alone In The Dark is in VGA!
    Aliens Versus Predator is from 1999!

Don’t disparage the previous games just because you want to profit from the name. “We don’t like Tomb Raider, but the name gets us money”.

I’m sure people could come up with a good subtitle. The Sands Of Time didn’t need to have a “4″ in the title.

If you want to completely do away with the character as we know it, just make a new franchise. Retcon is bad.

• Lewie Procter says:

Frankly, I’m just happy that they didn’t try and shoehorn “10″ into the title.

• Xercies says:

Hello money do you want to give yourself to a game with a new Ip that no one knows of and you have no idea about and gamers probably won’t pick it up because its new. Or do you want to give it to something people know of and will get what kind of genre that is.

Its terrible but most people will go for the latter because they then get a good return on it instead of the first one.

• LionsPhil says:

Aye. This “do a reboot and call it the same thing as a previous film/game/whatever” is terrible, terrible, terrible. Especially for the purposes of Googling, since we don’t have (and won’t have any time soon) a sufficiently semantic web to add “the original one, damnit” to the search.

Also, this is HOW many reboots for Tomb Raider now? Lara evidently runs Windows 95.

• Torgen says:

That reminds me, I’ve been meaning to see if there’s any more news about Mechwarrior.

• Dawngreeter says:

“Frankly, I’m just happy that they didn’t try and shoehorn “10″ into the title.”

10mb Raider?

• Terraval says:

Angry syntax nerds are angry.

• Navagon says:

Actually Aliens vs Predator is a ’93 SNES game. If you’re going to get tetchy about reboots that use the same name then it’s probably not such a good idea to be defending one.

• Mechorpheus says:

@ Navagon:

Surely he’s defending the reboot of a reboot? That jaguar thing was called simply ‘Aliens vs Predator’ too.

• DrGonzo says:

Yeah, I was also going to point out that Aliens Vs Predator is on something like it’s 5th or 6th reboot. Having, as far as I’m aware, originally come from the comic book.

Also, Battlestar Galactica and The Dark Knight should prove how completely wrong you are.

16. roryok says:

Isn’t every other Tomb Raider game a reboot?

17. Urael says:

I love Tomb Raider games. Always have. Crystal Dynamics’ stewardship of Lady Croft has been confident and imaginative – this news excites me in ways that make me tingle.

Still, the real question is: when are they going to do another Legacy of Kain game? After the sterling job they did with anniversary I’d happily devour Kain’s first adventure in that shiny 3D engine!

• Razz says:

I’m a huge fan of LoK and from what I’ve seen CD is doing a very good job with Tomb Raider, but regardless I can’t help but hope they’ll leave LoK dead. Several core members behind that series left CD a couple years ago, including director and writer Amy Hennig (who’s now directing Uncharted for Naughty Dog). Much of my love for LoK stemmed from its amazing universe and atmosphere (Nosgoth is virtually unmatched in games for me) on the one hand and complex storyline and characters on the other. Both of which would be hard to follow up on without those core members. Defiance was a good ending to the series anyway, there’s no need to milk it.

Basically, I’d trust them to come up with equally fun or even more fun gameplay (as Tomb Raider is very much in the same vain as LoK – light combat mixed with platforming, exploration and environmental puzzles), but I fear the story department might be lacking, which is one of the main charms of the series for me.

• DrGonzo says:

If they did remake one I would hope it’s Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. Or is that Soul Reaver: Legacy of Kain? Anyway, that was one of my favourite games, and I don’t think any 3rd person platformer has ever quite matched it, well it’s a close call between it and Psychonauts, but Soul Reaver has nostalgia on its side so it wins out for me.

18. Giant, fussy whingebag says:

The lead picture, with the dirty-faced nu-Lara, made me instantly think of the hype surrounding an earlier outing in the franchise. Wasn’t there some ridiculous enthusing about how realistically mud slid along those voluptuous curves in one of these games? I can’t remember which one it was, exactly but I think it was Underworld…

• Hypatian says:

It was not so much mud sliding as mud happening. Basically, as Lara runs around and climbs on crap she gets dirty. If she spend some time in the water, she gets clean (and her clothes get wet). As she climbs around after her clothes are wet, they dry out–but the dust that she naturally picks up turns to a light coating of mud on the way.

Really minor, and I don’t really understand why they trumpeted it. But—at the same time, I do think it added a bit of verisimilitude to the game. It’s a minor pretty effect to add that makes things come alive a bit more, just because you have more of a sense of the character interacting with the environment in ways outside those necessary for gameplay.

• Giant, fussy whingebag says:

Yeah, it’s not a problem with the game. Verisimilitude is great. The emphasis they put on it, though, just made it seem like another silly ‘our graphics are great so you should buy our game’ thing. And the picture reminded me of it.

Interesting fact: Deus Ex 3 apparently uses the same engine (unless it has changed since 2007).

19. Daniel Carvalho says:

Cover looks amazing but I hope the reboot flops horribly. The original Tomb Raider is not in need of rescue or a reboot, it’s a classic.

The Sombrero Kid says:

heres hoping they strip back/out the combat!

21. Cinnamon says:

She may be fighting for survival but at least she still has time to properly style her hair even if she can’t clean and disinfect her cuts. That’s some re-imagining for a modern audience right there. Very Japanese aesthetic in terms of the chin, eyes and hair style.

I’ll make a few, shot in the dark, predictions.

Don’t want: Her main weapons will be sword and bow which will have magical style upgraded special attacks. She will be able to “double jump.” She will be American. Lots of QTE events and cinematic moments.

Want: RPG like area exploration, survival and hunting gameplay. Battle against nature and environment gameplay rather than fighting people. Lost type scenario where she protects a group of survivors but with less making mysterious shit up as you go and ending weakly.

• Xocrates says:

Given that they apparently realized what a terrible idea QTEs were in between Anniversary and Underworld, I would be extremely surprised if they came back

• Cinnamon says:

Well, I did skip Underworld.

Looking around for more information on this game, it seems that it is aiming for an 18 rating, apparently due to horror themes rather than nudity. Rumours are that it is set on an a, no doubt fictional, island near Japan. Concept art on Neogaf shows Lara riding a horse, firing a bow with exploding arrows, while running away from enemies that look like they come from a Japanese survival horror game.

• DrGonzo says:

Underworld didn’t have QTEs. It simply went into slow motion. All the controls remained the same as normal. I thought it was done reeeeally well. Those were some of the highlights of the game.

22. Nova says:

I also liked the Tomb Raider games from CD and have no problem with the reboot, but I wonder why Lara doesn’t look like Lara…
    Is this therefore more of a completely new game which uses the the widely known name for obvious reasons?

23. Dozer says:

I’ve been producing a jelly-like substance from my nose all weekend, thank you, Mr Walker.

24. Tei says:

As a feminist, I want more games with pretty hot women as hero.

Also, I consider reboots as a very interesting artistic oportunity, but always inferior at creating anything else from scratch.

• Optimaximal says:

Tei is female?

• Tei says:

nope

• Terraval says:

Feminism: an empowerment to a group of individuals which has its basis removed from cultural norms, an empowerment through ideology.

Which is a form of FASCISM!

• cjlr says:

Tei is our resident spanish boddhisatva. He is beyond such things as gender.

Rinox says:

Where is Temple to Tei when you need him/her/undetermined?

• Thants says:

@Terraval – That word fascism. I don’t think it means what you think it means.

25. Ovno says:

So they’ve realised that its become ‘Lara Croft: Tomb Raider: Flogging a Dead Horse’ and decided that the best way to ensure another decade of tomb raider style games was to simply pretend its a new series instead of making an actually new series with a new lead we might fall for all over again…

/Slow Clap

26. Dominic White says:

Crystal Dynamics saved the franchise, and now it looks like they’re going back to un-do the trainwreck that was Core’s attempt at a ‘Young Lara’ origin story. Good on them.

They’ve 4 for 4 on good Tomb Raider games so far. Let’s see if they can make it five.

27. Kid A says:

Oh gods. It’s going to be darker, and edgier. Lara is going to suffer.
    Just make a Guardian of Light sequel then leave her be for a few years, please.

Lacero says:

I thought anniversary was the reboot?

Anyway, advertising something as survival on a desert island always makes me think of robinson’s requiem, which is doubly disappointing because it’s never like that, and robinson’s requiem wasn’t even much good.

• Xocrates says:

Legend was the reboot, Anniversary was the remake that fitted the original story with the reboot.

Guardian of Light was an side experiment

This would be the reboot 2: reboot harder

29. Unaco says:

Reboots, Remakes, Reimaginings. Stop it now you creatively devoid hacks in video games, movies and TV. Put the cocaine away, and try to have an original thought for once, you empty, hollow little men.

30. Hypatian says:

She will “find out just how far she must go in order to stay alive.”

Let me be the first to suggest that “Tomb Raider” will refer to the fact that she spends her days digging up corpses and subsisting on the flesh of the dead.

I do like the focus on her face here. Although I wish the face had a bit more character in ways other than “smashed up and covered with dirt”. Still, I’m optimistic.

31. televizor says:

Crystal Dynamics?

Where’s my Kain wielding Raziel game?

• Starky says:

I second this – I need more Simon Templeman monologues. LoK series has by far the best voice over work and dialogue of any game franchise ever, and a bloody brilliant (if near impenetrable from playing the games alone) plot.

Just a shame the gameplay was always so damn poor – though Defiance was a vast improvement it was still vastly behind the curve compared to others of the genre…

Still, best voice work ever – I’m had a man-crush on Simon Templeman ever since the original Blood Omen.

32. roryok says:

I would love if they ripped out all the guns / combat etc, left us with a story of a girl exploring an underground cavern with some salvaged rope, improvising things out of the environment. An adventure game full of minigames and things, a character exploration, a reboot of Lara herself. No shooting wolves in the face with dual pistols or any of that guff. Of course, I’d like it even more if there weren’t any mystical or supernatural things, just maybe some graverobbers or human baddies.

I think basically what I’m saying is I don’t like anything about the tomb raider games. =/

• Simon Dufour says:

We are looking for the exact same thing my friend. Stil… the platforming parts are great.

• roryok says:

On further consideration, I think it should be called Tom Braider, and it should be centered around the search for Lara’s missing neighbour.

33. CMaster says:

Really enjoyed the new Lara Croft Games, never had any fun with the demos of actual Tomb Raider games.

As with many, dissapointed that they can’t just dump a license that is past its prime (face it, Lara Croft and Tomb raider are never likley to draw the quantity of mainstream news coverage and drooling fanboys of the turn of the century). Still, might be interesting (also, reasonable odds she’ll be american now, I guess).

34. Urthman says:

So it’s going to be a Minecraft clone?

• Heliocentric says:

Its not a clone its a sequel. Notch is so rich they now work for him… Actually, we all do, know it or not.

• Susan says:

Lara Craft?

35. Monchberter says:

*Cough* Jurassic Park *cough* Trespasser

:D

AndrewC says:

Poor Lara. Not even being an ageless collection of polygons can save you from being replaced by a younger actress.

I mean, Bart’s been ten for twenty years, but Lara’s been about too much and has to be replaced with a fresh, more innocent model.

Hrrm!

37. Howard says:

I never have and never will understand reboots of franchises, games or otherwise. When exactly have they ever done any good for the original IP? never as far as I am concerned (or can remember – open to input here). This just looks like a licence for a dev team to be lazy and get carte blanche while doing it. “Sure this game is related to that game you like but as we have declared it to be a reboot you are not allowed to compare it to all the shite games we made before.” So instead of manning up and making a good TR game we get a half arsed excuse about why they are gonna change everything we like about the series. It just seems like spin – lazy spin at that. Very, very bizarre.

• Simon Dufour says:

I saw a study once that said that the general public was more likely to buy a game if it was a sequel or if they knew the name. You have the answer to your question right there. Two Angelina Jolie movies alones were enough to secure the franchise for a couple of years. People will buy this stuff without knowing what it is. Simply for the name.

It can be an entirely different game. She could be named something else than Lara… nobody would care. As long as it’s related to Tomb Raider. Anyway, the name is pretty generic anyway.

Vandelay says:

“I never have and never will understand reboots of franchises, games or otherwise. When exactly have they ever done any good for the original IP?”

Battlestar Galactica, Batman and Ocean’s Eleven to name a few. It is rare, but not unheard of. I wouldn’t say rebooting something in general is a terrible idea.

38. rebb says:

From the picture alone, i can’t tell whether that’s a female or your average modern androgynous emo kid.

39. K says:

So we get a game that is not Tomb Raider with a character that vaguely resembles the old Lara?

Why not call it something else then?!

40. Deano2099 says:

For anyone annoyed that this is a Tomb Raider game and not just a new IP I offer a single thought:

Mirror’s Edge might have sold had it been Lara Croft: 2080…

41. Warth0g says:

Haven’t played a TR game since the first couple and this has whetted my appetite to go and pick one up.. deeply confused about which of the recent bunch (not the isometric one..) is the best however? Could any of you fine gents point me in the right direction? Legend? Anniversary? Another??

Thanks in advance…

• Simon Dufour says:

I’d say to get Underworld. However, I haven’t played all the others YET. I can safely say that Underworld is a really entertaining game.

• Xocrates says:

That’s a really tricky question. The Crystal Dynamics games (the only ones I’ve played other than the original) are different enough that it’s almost impossible to get people to agree on which is the best.

My personal analysis is as follows:

Legend is probably the most solid all around but suffers from being really cheesy, having QTE sections that have no reason not to be regular gameplay, and overall not feeling particularly Tomb Raider-ish on account of linear levels, few proper tombs, and sidekicks who never STFU.

Anniversary is a remake of the original so you should be aware more or less of what to expect, the most significant changes are upped difficulty, mostly on account of a fetishistic love for timed jumping puzzles with an annoying camera and the addition of QTE, often in replacement for the human boss fights of the original. Of the three, It’s also the longest game by a fair margin (the others are fairly short).

Underworld is probably my favourite, unlike Legend it feels pretty Tomb Raider-ish, and unlike Anniversary it’s not frustatingly hard (though some would argue it went too far the other way). Bonus points for being the one without QTEs.
      However the story assumes you played the previous two and it’s the most unpolished of the lot.

TheTourist314 says:

Just so you know, “halogen” isn’t a thing you can invent, it’s a group of elements on the periodic table.

43. Choca says:

I wish my GF was this dirty.

44. Aubrey says:

Now I can say “What mesmerizing eyes!” and actually be talking about her eyes.

45. Benjamin L. says:

As long as it’s long on the challenging platforming in interesting environments and short on derivative third-person shooting and motorcycle chases, I’ll be happy. Also more normal Lara sounds good, the ‘action hero making bad puns’ persona they pushed in Legend annoyed me. Legend bugged me for a lot of reasons, out of the ‘new’ stuff I enjoyed Anniversary and Underworld much more.

46. AzraelXJM says:

Is that a bow on her back? Is it me or does Lara now have Green Arrow’s origin story?

stahlwerk says:

Any words about involvement of (original creator of TR1+2, director of that other CD reboot) Toby Gard? Last time I heard he had left CD again and does consulting work, didn’t he?

48. ROFLMAO says:

ROFL looking at that picture the working title should be “Tomb Raider – Lara Croft vs. the Gnarly Cold sore”

49. Spd from Russia says:

She looks like a guy
    also iris texture of an old sick person

50. qeloqoo says:

It would be kinda hard to wipe out memories of current Lara from my whole life :( Don’t brainwash me, CD, pleeeease!!!