BFBC2V Gets Fifth Map, Challenge

By Jim Rossignol on December 6th, 2010 at 4:00 pm.

Strictly speaking this was revealed last week, but I have been away from my instruments, and therefore unable to continuously monitor The News. DICE have said there is a fifth BFBC2V map, but it’s not going to be available right away. Why not? Well, it needs to be unlocked. They explain: “You and all your friends playing on PS3, PC, or Xbox 360 need to perform 69 million team actions across Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Vietnam. So what’s a team action? Well, it’s any and all of these: resupply, revive, heal, spot, and repair. We start counting on December 21st, so make sure you contribute from the start!”

Hmm. There’s a trailer for this shackled map, below. Exciting!

, , .

1. Stranglove says:

Do I see….

WAR TUK TUK!

2. skinlo says:

Hmm, 69 eh? heh heh heh…

Maltose says:

The Vietnam War did start in 1969.

• Ted says:

’69 is also a sexual position, which is the joke here, because sexual innuendos are funny!

3. Vaerriek says:

continuous monitor?

4. pakoito says:

Is that guy James May and Clarkson on the wheel? That pic is soooooooooooooo Top Gear

5. Navagon says:

Those ain’t battle mopeds but they still look pretty fine to me.

6. Nick says:

What a stupid idea.

Joshua says:

Why? It encourages teamplay.

• Severian says:

Yes, but don’t we think that the whole “unlocking” thing has reached a new low here?

First health packs, then any decent weapon, then… oh sorry, didn’t mean to start bitching…

• westyfield says:

Because one of the biggest complaints about BC2 was that it had far too few maps, and DICE/EA are saying “You want new maps? Fine. Dance for us, monkeys, dance! Higher. Higher! Faster!”
      What I, and I expect most BC2 players, want, is new maps now. Not after we’ve reached some arbitrary milestone set by the developers.
      Oh, and the “it encourages teamplay” argument? The game encourages teamplay with points, unlocks, and the way that you have to do ‘team actions’ to win a round. Plus the fact that it’s not nearly as fun if you lone-wolf it.

7. westyfield says:

This is dumb. They did something similar with 1943, didn’t they? It was dumb then, too.

• anduin1 says:

they did but luckily I didn’t buy that game until it was on sale and by then the map was unlocked, this is just dumb. 4 maps isnt enough for $15.

8. Vae Victus says:

It’s not so bad. Maybe it will shame the recons into doing something useful for a change.

Shakermaker says:

Operation Hastings was my favourite Battlefield Vietnam map so this makes me a very happy camper.

10. DJ Phantoon says:

I dunno, I have this game and just haven’t been able to get into it like I could with Battlefield 2. Am I doing something wrong?

• Severian says:

This is my first BF game, so take this with a grain of salt:

I also was underwhelmed and frustrated when I first started playing. It took me a good 10 hours and several unlocks for me to start enjoying multiplayer. I *detest* how they made critical features of the classes unlockable (like the medi-pac), and also gave noobs the weakest weapons without any upgrades. Talk about a formula for frustration. Also, coming from TF2, it really took me a while to get used to the big distances on the maps and how you absolutely need to be patient and careful at all times.

But stick with your squad, upgrade one class until you get some descent gear, and spot, spot, spot. Help out your team any way you can. When you take out a cluster of enemies with a grenade, revive several teammates, and capture a control point all within the space of 30 seconds, it all becomes worth it.

• Mark Raymond says:

For a long time I thought BC2 was one of the best multiplayer experiences out there for the PC. Then I discovered the shotgun + slugs combo, and now I can’t bring myself to launch the executable.

abhishek says:

Let’s hope the Vietnam map pack has better maps than the crap that was released for free this week. The distance between spawn and objective on Harvest day is so long that they should probably have built a lay-by along the way :\

• Medina says:

If you are always spawning at base you are doing it wrong. There is a reason you can spawn on squadmates (or switch squads).

abhishek says:

Sometimes squads get wiped out. Sometimes you don’t want to change out of squads with your friends in them.

Here’s the real question… what is the purpose of surrounding a map with so much no man’s land anyway? Is it more fun? Does it improve the gameplay? Does it make the map more interesting?

• anduin1 says:

I think they did that to try to appease all the bitching about the maps being too small compared to BF2. Well now they went overboard and created a vast area where sniping becomes fairly difficult and 3/4 of your team are engineers to counter the 6+ tanks and 4 choppers available on the map. Its the kind of map an amateur map maker would make on his 3rd try.

12. Lucas says:

The inclusion of Operation Hastings (even if delayed) is the best thing I’ve read about BC2-V. One picture of the bridge was all it took for me to remember the map layout and all its fun. It also highlights how boring most BC2 map design is compared with the proper BF games: they are almost all designed to maximize team-pressure and don’t reward smart play.

On a side note, a lot of the BFV music is coming back as well, which really helps set the atmosphere.

13. Barnaby says:

Little baffling that people are complaining about the arbitrary challenge to get the map released if you take into account that they could have just charged us money for it. It will get unlocked eventually regardless if you actively are trying to achieve the goal.

While it’s a silly goal I don’t think complaining about it changes anything… and the map is still free either way.

14. FRIENDLYUNIT says:

Stat padding FTW!

Stat padders; START. YOUR. PADDING!!

15. Araxiel says:

Great, I have no friends ):
    Or atleast no one in my friends-list of BC2

This is a retarded Idea. They should either put the bar lower or/and have something different. Let’s say you have to reach level 55…on a prestige mode. Something that you can archive even without stats-whoring and spamming your friendslist full of people that you don’t even know, just to get your “teamwork” up.

And also those Tuk Tuks clearly need a big gun mounted on top of them.

• Nallen says:

What?

It’s across the entire game. You could just wait a month and start playing and it would probably be done.