Ghostbusters Electronic Video Footage

By Jim Rossignol on December 7th, 2010 at 2:59 pm.

Who you gonna call? Well the fire department, hopefully. Jesus.
The pictures that move have looked into the future and foreseen the workings of a new Ghostbusters game, known as Sanctum Of Slime. The glimpses we get of the 4-player co-op game make it look fairly colourful and entertaining, with a moderate chance of progressing into being mental. It’s got a chaotic Smash TV sort of thing going on, but with a whizzy 3D camera and crossing of the streams. Go take a look.

, .

1. Rich says:

Don’t cross the streams you silly. You don’t want all life as you know it to stop instantaneously and every molecule in your body to explode at the speed of light, now do you?

Edit: Let me put my Egon-esque nerd glass on for a second (only slightly less nerdy than the ones I wear anyway).
    OK, now forgive me if I’m wrong, but the proton stream fired out of their packs didn’t actually hurt the ghosts. It just contained them long enough for the chaps in overalls to deploy a trap. So… what’s up with that eh?

• jonfitt says:

Ignoring the proton-pack-shotgun and all the rest of the silliness, the recent Ghostbusters game actually captured the Hold n’ Trap mechanic pretty well.

You had to hold them in the beam and then someone had to throw out a trap to catch them. Now that was sometimes easier said than done as they wouldn’t hold still enough. In those cases you’d use the proton stream to smack them around the room and duff them up. Once tired out they were easily trapped.

I think it capture the ‘wrangling’ aspect of the proton beam well and you felt as if you were fishing with ghosts. Also the duffing up resulted in the wanton destruction of property. All-in-all busting felt good.

There was plenty of other tosh though.

2. pakoito says:

Gameplay: ok.

Everything else: terrible.

• nihohit says:

WE HAVE A PSYCHIC TALKBACKING AMONGST US!

• ExMortis says:

So, the graphics, you mean.

Or do you just really hate Ray Parker Jr?

• pakoito says:

I do wub my ghostbusters, but the game looks a bit bad on the grapic part.

• Mistabashi says:

The Ghostbusters movies had way better graphics than this…

Looks like it could be fun, seems like they’re going for a Guardian of Light style de-make, and that turned out well so the lack of current-gen graphical technology doesn’t worry me.

3. Cooper says:

Not convinced by that video.

The recent game was, despite mediocre press response, pretty damn good. Generally faithful to the material and presented an action game that wasn’t your general corridor shooter fodder. The need to entangle, wretsle and catch ghosts made it a somewhat interesting alternative, especially as you had to plan which ghost first, when to try for the catch, whilst hiding from others etc. This video seems to suggest all that mior subtlety has been dropped. Boo.

• jonfitt says:

We are in agreement.

• pepe says:

indeed.

• Clovis says:

I thought it was mainly a fun game about smashing stuff. And then a bit of raging when I got to the cupid part, but mostly smashing. I didn’t want to bother with figuring out which ghost to catch when, so I played on easy fun mode.

4. Scott Kevill says:

Co-op was console-only with the original game, which was lame. I imagine the same thing will probably happen for the PC version of this expansion, unfortunately.

5. terry says:

Art direction by Crayola.

• Wulf says:

That’s what was bugging me about that screenshot and video.

Egad, those textures are low resolution.

6. moonwalker says:

Who else thinks that a full Ghostbusters conversion for Alien Swarm would be great?

7. Navagon says:

It does look kinda ten years out of date. But then I guess it was inevitable that the Ghostbusters would have some catching up to do.

Scandalon says:

Most of you are a miserable lot. “I’m sick of grey-brown manshoots” you cry. Then we get (what looks to be) a decent/reasonable use of a movie license, that’s colorful and lower-spec. “Crayola!” you complain.

It looks like good, simple, co-opy fun to me. (Now, obv. if they expect $60 from me they’re delusional but still…)

And yes, mechanically it’s probably more “shoot to damage ghosts” rather than “immobilize to trap”. But who knows?

-Disclaimer: I never actually saw Ghostbusters when it was the new “in” thing when I was in gradeschool, didn’t see it until maybe 5 years ago, and never really understood the adulation it gets.

• Gabe McGrath says:

^^^ This. ^^^

As for the adulation… it was a bunch of great comics at their peak… in a huge budget comedy film that was… quite unlike anything else. Quotable lines galore.

Back in ’84, when that logo appeared on billboards everywhere, saying “Coming to save the world this Summer”, we knew something cool was on the way…. and it was. Everything seemed to just come together…. the film in the cinemas, the song on the radio, and the game on the C64. Sure, these days we’d all call that ‘hype’ or ‘synergy’ or ‘a multi-touchpoint brand experience’.

But back then, it was cool.

Personal gaming update: Finally got past that bloody ‘ghosts n gargoyles’ bit of the original game, and now old Pufty’s chasing me through Times Square. I LOVE GAMES.

• Miguelese says:

That game on the C64 had the hold and trap mechanic down pretty well. And it squawked “Ghostbusters” in white noise when you pressed the space bar :D

• terry says:

I’ve nothing against bright colours per se, but it doesn’t really scream Ghostbusters to me -looks like it’s been influenced heavily by cartoons and plastic toys, which isn’t my bag.

9. Dominic White says:

Just look at 0.20 in to that trailer. For those who can’t be bothered watching, here’s a screencap:

This is what they are showing off in their promotional videos. This is what they deem good enough to sell the game.

This is Wanako Games at their best, people.

Gabbo says:

It’s low res, I’ll give it that, but damn if it’s not colourful and multiplayer Ghostbusters (assuming the PC release isn’t something else entirely). It could use some work, but it has my attention.

11. gummybearsliveonthemoon says:

Yyyyyyeeeaaah. That’s less Ghostbusters and more Alien Syndrome. I’ll pass.

• Dominic White says:

Oh, I’d love a new Alien Syndrome game. A good one with ridiculous time-pressure and panicked exploration, not an awkward pseudo-diablo-clone.

Christian Dannie Storgaard says:

Doesn’t look too interesting or fitting for the material to me.
    Also, isn’t there something wrong with the theme song? Sure, it’s got more kick in the bass, but It sounds like one of those cheap knock-off soundtrack CDs consisting of nothing but cover versions…

13. Brimstone says: