Oddboxx Alive, Hitting This December

By Quintin Smith on December 7th, 2010 at 3:23 pm.

'Yeah, you heard me. I called you a chicken.'

A year ago (wow!) Jim posted news that the PC would be seeing the release of Oddboxx, a pack of all the Oddworld games including the never-released-on-PC titles Munch’s Odyssey and the wonderfully perverse bounty hunting game Stranger’s Wrath, plus some small additions and extras. Well, I can now announce that Oddbox is not only alive and kicking, but it’ll be released “this holiday season” on plenty of big direct to drive outlets, including Steam. Are you excited? You should consider being excited. Look, I’ll post a video of Stranger’s Wrath (which has an 88% Metacritic score, BY THE WAY) after the jump.

This shows the opening cutscene, plus what happens if you abuse the materialistic chickens that populate the game’s towns.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. apricotsoup says:

Are we assuming that this wont be coming with the HD remake of stranger’s wrath?

• Quintin Smith says:

You can buy all the games in the Oddbox seperately. So, I suspect it will be the HD remake.

• Eclipse says:

awesome! let’s hope for it

• mcnostril says:

Wait what?
      HD remake of stranger’s wrath?
      You mean it’s going to be more awesome? Is that even possible?
      GAWD.

• Christopher M. says:

The HD remake is nowhere near finished. So I can assume that the HD remake is not in the Oddboxx, at least at first.

• bhlaab says:

But it will be a remake that you can probably play in HD resolutions so there

• Wulf says:

…holy crap.

Very, very do want, yes, do want, very much so yes. Did I mention that I want this?

I crave substantially and satisfyingly alien things, Oddworld has always been an event for me, I never played the HD remake of Stranger’s Wrath, though. If the PC Oddboxx has that, then I am going to be happy. Very happy. Excessively happy.

• Eclipse says:

I’ve twitted the team asking if it’s going to be the same of the PS3 HD remake (that includes new hires models, textures and shaders like normalmap etc) or just the original xbox version playable at high res. The reply was:
      @WaveringRadiant original, running at super hires, and it looks BRILLIANT

So it’s NOT the PS3 “remake” that will be out in 2011, just a PC port of the original one, with blurry textures and xbox 1 graphics, but should look good even if not modern

2. MarkSide says:

“Hello.”
    “Hello.”
    “Follow me.”
    “Okay.”
    *SPLATCH!!*
    “Hee hee.”

3. Kits says:

Ooh, this is good stuff. I recently restarted Abes Oddysey on my PSP, but with only one set of shoulder buttons it’s a bit awkward.

• Brumisator says:

That’s a strange typo of “PC” you made there.

*angry look*

• Forch says:

We don’t like your kind ’round here, Idort.

• Kits says:

Pfft. I love my PC, but I also love being able to play games while I’m sat on the bus, or out of the house and waiting. Hence the handhelds. Being able to play such classics as this, well…

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

The PC is of course the Only True Gaming Machine. But we should not denigrate those less fortunate than ourselves, but rather welcome them so they may learn The Truth. They don’t deserve anger, only pity and comfort. After all, it was only in seeking comfort that they turned to “consoles”.

• Gunsmith says:

that was poetry.

4. Bhazor says:

Stranger’s Wrath might very well be the best game on the Xbox and Munch’s Oddysey might very well be the strangest.

5. RAY16 says:

The version of Stranger included in The Oddbox will most likely be a straight port of the Xbox version. Pretty sure the HD remake is PS3-exclusive.

• Delusibeta says:

Considering that the Live version was ruled out only because it was 0.1 Gb over the limit for XBLA games, I wouldn’t say that it’s an exclusive just yet.

• RAY16 says:

We’ll say console exclusive, then. At any rate I’d be very surprised if The Oddbox included it.

• Wulf says:

@Ray16

My good potentially carbon-based life form, I think you’re missing the point. Just a bit. Only a touch, so it’s nothing to feel silly about. But a bit, yes. :p I believe the point our esteemed colleague was trying to make was that there was only one reason it was shunned by the Council of X; that those old council men and women haven’t aged well, they’re stuffy, and their standards are entirely too high. You see, the Stranger was a wee bit festively plump, he had a bit of a bulge above the buckle, and the council were having none of it.

The Republic of Play were much more welcoming, willing to except more ragtag sorts and even vagabonds into their gated community, knowing fully well that the odd eccentric character can make for interesting times, and that such oddities might amuse the citizenry, if perhaps the oddities weren’t too challenging, if you get my meaning, eh? I wouldn’t exactly call those sorts footloose and fancy free, but they can overlook the gentry having had a few too many pies in favour of the entertainment they might bring. A fat bard is still a bard, after all.

However, the PC Commonwealth isn’t all that politically correct, indeed, we’re an anarchist, anything goes state of wild, unabated insanity, where feats of crazed derring-do are as ingrained as the unstable infrastructure it’s all cobbled atop of. Whatever your shape, size, way, creed, or inclination might be, you’ll find a home here, and there are those who would think of the neighbourhood of being a somewhat better place with nigh near every inclusion, even banding together to help the less fortunate, inscrutable, the… apocryphal, the urchins, and even the johnny-come-latelys with greatly advanced medicines they call ‘mods’. Indeed, we are not at all like the Council of X. I’m certain that the Stranger could find a home here. Our neighbourhood would be better for it, and perhaps in turn we could better the Stranger by merit of being able to take advantage of our wonderful serums and concoctions.

In short: That it didn’t end up on XBLA was due to an XBLA restriction, the developers are likely willing to port it to anything that they can make a sale on. They could make a sale with the HD version on the PC, so that they wouldn’t port the HD version is incredibly unlikely. A refused XBLA title does not a PSN – or even console format – exclusive make. It never did.

6. abhishek says:

I wonder what the price on this pack will be.

7. OptionalJoystick says:

Somehow I never really got on with Stranger’s Wrath. I seem to remember it had bizarre difficulty spikes and forced you to redo huge sections when you inevitably failed due to some inexplicable death.
    Perhaps I should revisit with my older, wiser eyes if my Xbox can still read discs.

• rayne117 says:

I absolutely love replaying games I played when I was younger. Sometimes though, it makes me sad. The nostalgia is better than the game is now most of the time, I have found.

• Sid says:

pretty sure it had quicksave, not checkpoints

8. Conor says:

I want. So very much.

9. Christopher M. says:

Fingers crossed for it to actually come out THIS holiday season, this time…

10. Alphabet says:

I ninth the Stranger’s Wrath love. It’s one of my favourite games ever. If the port reproduces the speed and solidity of the old XBOX version, I’m going to be so excited. I can see this getting gifted a lot on Steam.

11. gulag says:

Strangers Wrath stands as one of those ‘Why did no one ever copy XYZ?’ games. It captured that Weird West feel long before Borderlands came along.

And what about that twist?…

• Alphabet says:

That twist was spine-shivering. Fellow readers, play it, don’t read about it.

• Christopher M. says:

Unfortunately, I’ve had it spoiled for me already.
      Still looking forward to playing, though!

• Jugdish says:

Yes, it was spoiled for me to. I read an Eurogamer retrospective a while back, and gave in to temptation and read the spoilers after waiting for a PC port for so long. (smacks head)

12. Chris Fifty-Two says:

I am excited.

13. Urthman says:

Yes! More games like this for PC, please.

14. Pani says:

Another one of those games (or set of) that I have no idea about.
    Why should I be excited?

• Okami says:

It’s a game where you play a dog like bounty hunter, who can run on all fours and hunts for villains in the oddworld universe by using living (and talking) ammunition and traps fired from a crossbow and you actually get rewarded for not killing enemies but capturing them.

Does this not excite you?

• BobDicks says:

You play as a stranger who is wrathful.

15. Lucas says:

Been looking forward to playing Stranger’s Wrath a long time.

• Urael says:

So have I, but I’ve no clear idea why…

• CreepingDeath says:

Same. It’s just been one of those games I’ve wanted to play purely on the few screens I’ve seen. I have no idea what the game is actually like…

16. ghostwriter says:

I am VERY exicted for this. Strangers Wrath was awesome and I can’t wait to finally play it with a mouse and keyboard, the way the game was supposed to be played.

17. WJonathan says:

This is some nice news, considering the laser on my old Xbox just pooped while playing (drumroll) Stranger’s Wrath. If they’re bothering to make a PC conversion, I can’t see why it won’t be in some form of HD. Most games are programmed in some form of high (over 480p) definition, then scaled down to what the console can handle. Porting from the original Xbox to PC shouldn’t be terribly complicated.

18. Vandelay says:

Oh wow. Every couple of months since this was originally announced I’ve wondered to myself what was happening to it. I remember the Abe games were re-released on Steam shortly after they said that the Oddboxx would be made, so I decided to hold off re-buying/re-playing them (I still have my original copies somewhere.) That must have been over a year ago since their original holiday release date.

Abe’s Odyssey and Exodus were two of my favourite games in my youth and I can’t wait to play the follow on games that they previously denied me. I know pretty much nothing about them, beyond the names, so it is great to hear people singing the praises about at least one of them.

19. BobDicks says:

So anyone who admits to playing Stranger’s Wrath or Munch’s Oddesy is going to get sent to the Console Camps, my leader?

20. washaa says:

Hey Abe what’s happening?

21. Jimmy Jazz says:

Mmmmm… Strangers wrath, god I remember that game.

I think that’s one of the few games that can make me nostalgic at such a young age.

22. reverse says:

Reckon there will be a price reduction for those of us who already have the Abe games on Steam?

23. Malibu Stacey says:

Wonder if Oddworld Inhabitants will ever get to make the final game in the series.
    I bought the first 2 for the PSX way back when. Glad I didn’t buy the Steam pack earlier in the year now.