On The Menu: Warsoup

By Jim Rossignol on December 8th, 2010 at 5:27 pm.

Hmm, yes, grabbing from YouTube is still a bit ugly.
Warsoup is an upcoming indie blend of real-time strategy and FPS. It’s looking pretty smooth, too. It’s being built in the Unity engine by Moon Game Studios (too early for a proper website, it seems) and it’s going be a lo-fi meeting point between Halo type FPS mechanics and Starcraft style RTS play. With Natural Selection 2 sitting pretty high in our expectations for this kind of genre hybrid it’s possible that this – even more focused on the RTS side of things – could be a success. The promise of the earlier alpha footage (posted below), in which the devs explain the basic principles of the game, as well as some of the more advanced features, backs that up. Go take a look.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Leadtorrent says:

the guy who made the tf2 dance videos is doing the animations for this game

2. Miker says:

I don’t really know if this is RTS, per se. From what I can tell, it’s not really anything that hasn’t been done in, say, Natural Selection or even the indie Iron Grip: Warlord. I’ll remain cautiously optimistic for now.

And jeez louise, does that look like Halo. The assault rifle’s ammo counter-thingy even has the same diamond-like shape of the original Halo assault rifle. They even have the pistol flipping animation in place, not to mention plasma ‘nades.

3. salejemaster says:

I’m very interested in this…also, if you want to follow development it seems that following things on moddb is the best and only way for now http://www.moddb.com/games/warsoup

4. HexagonalBolts says:

I like the attempt to blend genres, and the idea of countering other players – I hope that doesn’t limit an individual’s ability to play though. I also think they could go a bit further with the RTS elements than just supply and turrets.

This isn’t particularly related but my dream game is a blend of RPG, FPS and RTS, perhaps in a tribe or small village with the player as chieftain and with a system like dwarf fortress (not graphically) where villagers wonder about on their own accord doing what suits them and their individual jobs, telling the villagers to build a building over here or a wall here. But you can also be one of your villager’s warriors yourself. It doesn’t seem an incredibly complicated idea, but I can imagine it being so much fun. Hopefully some day somebody will make something similar.

5. WCC-lover says:

Best thing is that they have WCCs randomly lying around the map (first seen at 2;33). Instant win!

6. Sinomatic says:

After having spent a fair bit of last week playing Iron Grip: Warlord and enjoying it, I’m quite interested in this. Hard to tell how it would play out, but I like the minimalistic design; its very ‘clean’. My biggest gripe with Warlord was how clunky it felt to play at times, this looks a lot more streamlined.

And yes, weighted companion cubes…..what are they doing there?

7. Pop says:

WARSOUP!!!

8. DanteL says:

This kind of reminds me of an old Playstation game. You played on a map where you constantly spawned convoys that tried to make it into the enemy base, but there were turrets along the way that you had to destroy and capture. You could switch between speed and assault modes, and you had to make a safe route for your convoy to reach the end zone to get points, only problem was that you had an enemy bot trying to do the same thing to you. Anyone remember this game?

• Znea says:

You may be thinking of Future Cop: LAPD. A game I played to death both in local co-op and multiplayer on my PC. Riot Shield, Concussion Beam, and Shockwave Generator for the easy win.

• Scandalon says:

For those that don’t know FC:LAPD was a splendid little 3rd person mini-mech game. I don’t recall it doing anything particularly new, but it did it well enough and had a certain amount of charm. I only know of it because the developer snuck a Mac version on the disk…

Edit: Removed my obvious mis-knowledge.

• Znea says:

@Scandalon
      It really does sound like the multiplayer component (Precinct Assault, which also had a skirmish mode) of Future Cop. I wholeheartedly agree that it was a splendid little game and its support of the Mac OS allowed me to enjoy it with many of my friends.

On a completely unrelated note editing is amazing.

• oceanclub says:

I loved the multi player part of Future Cop , and looking back it seems very original for the time.

9. BarerRudeROC says:

So far I’ve seen:
    Halo: Combat Evolved
    Halo: Reach
    Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare
    Natural Selection
    Section 8
    Crackdown
    Iron Grip: Warlord
    Starcraft
    Portal (although temporary I know)
    TF2

“Original take on FPS/RTS”
    Yeah as If this wasn’t taken from Natural Selection.
    It seems as if they’ve nothing original, they’ve taken all their content from other games it seems.
    And a “shop for items” just takes the cake.
    I am appalled, sadly enough.

• Tei says:

What? ..not Warsow?

:-D

*puts cautious optimist mask*

• ShoTro says:

And Natural Selection was taken from Quake 2 RTS… so nothing really about this is unheard of, but the combination of the games is unique. I am just hoping the number of players is low so that you can have time to think and use strategy instead of just play as a Team Fortress engineer.

• escooler says:

and what of battlezone

• rayne117 says:

Monday Night Combat is definitely in there somewhere.

• imirk says:

Carbon, Nitrogen, Oxygen, trace other elements, I see nothing in you that is unique.

• Jahkaivah says:

It is strange, the layout of the menu looks a hell of a lot like TF2′s, and I had heard something about the sounds being from a number of other games.

I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. It’s certainly no Limbo of the Lost.

• dozens of small fish says:

The faction war mechanic in STALKER: Clear Sky technically makes it an FPS/RPG/RTS. It needs mods to really shine, but the whole dynamic campaign and resource point deal makes for some great fun.

10. James Benson says:

Hey, I’m animating on the project. Just want to say hello and assure people that this will totally be a strategy game, this is not a twitch based shooter! Think Starcraft style maps, 1v1/2v2 mainly, also, this is super early footage!

P.S. I have never played Halo so sorry if the pistol anims I did look like Halo!

PEACE EVERYBODY

• Lord_Mordja says:

Oh awesome!

Can you please clarify though, will you be able to build units as well as turrets?

11. phertiker says:

Well, it’s shiny. I have to admit I’m a sucker for those “Kill 10 points!” pop up things.

Looks like a cross between TF2 and a Target ad.

12. Brahms says:

Hurray for an indie game that isn’t a 2d platformer.

13. evilbobthebob says:

Art style is very much reminiscent of Mirror’s Edge, I think, with maybe a little Tron. Looks good.

14. Howard says:

So: Battlezone but faster and with the design aesthetics of Mirrors Edge? An interesting melange to be sure – let’s see if they can pull it off.

15. Araxiel says:

I hope that there will be a single-player mode. Even if they’re only bots. Or some kind of tower defense (coop) mode

I just fear that for example I’m spending a lot of money and time on my defense and then they’re being blowen up in a matter of seconds. That would be extremly frustrating.

16. Josh W says:

2 vs 2 pc splitscreen sounds very satisfying!
    If you’re really going to do “rts with fps macro”, then you need some kind of teleporter thing, perhaps even a little buggy that you can send in a direction, and then teleport to. Why? Because of hotkeys! To properly represent that “map owning” feel of an rts, you’ll need the ability to hop about and sneak through lines of defence if they leave something open, and to do multi-vector attacks. Imagine sending in a little buggy at where you think your opponents base is, watching it’s progress on the mini map as you build up your end of the map, and every now and again swapping to it and sending it in a different direction, then teleporting back to the buggy you left at home. The moment anything appears red on it’s mini-map, you hop to it, finding that your opponent has left a field full of turrets ready for you, you jump out of there, taking a lot of hits, giving away your class, but with the knowledge that the other player has put so much resources into defences that he’s not going to be able to match your expansion.

Simultaniously, these fragile things would take a reasonable amount of resources/time to replace, and you only have so many, so use them too agressively and you could be giving up a lot of map control.

17. Genasi says:

Seems to be a small trend these FPS/RTS hybrids. Natural Selection 2, Nuclear Dawn now Warsoup.

18. Rane2k says:

Blaaaah, whenever I edit one of my comments the system tells me that I´m spam and eats the whole comment. Luckily I copied before saving.

This looks interesting, if I understand this right then it will mainly be really small teams or duels?
    I especially like that they go with a rather stripped down, abstract art style, not only does it keep the visual noise down, it also cuts huge amounts of development costs (I imagine).

Also, some people on youtube clearly have no idea what pre-alpha means. “you shoot at cubes lol”

Oh, and the name seems rather strange. DOOMSPOON > WARSOUP

Edit: (Hope this does not eat my comment again) I think they should be careful with throwing around trademarked stuff like the Starcraft and Halo logos when advertising their own game. I´d hate to see a startup studio like this get sued into oblivion by the big guys.

19. Loshon says:

I’m not gonna lie, this looks like it draws so heavily from other games that almost nothing besides the mix itself is original.

Also, the care-package thing pissed me off. But I still look forward to playing it if it continues to look this cool.

• Loshon says:

Oh, and if it’s true that the guy who did the Dance animations did this, all the better. That guy has talent.

20. pakoito says:

Everybody is forgetting Savage and Savage 2. Very indie but very fun and blendy too.

21. Thants says:

Wait, I see “Shop For Items” in the menu. I think I’ll give this a miss entirely if it really has micro-payment DLC.

22. Mattressi says:

This needs a video in a video in a video tag.

23. Tommy_Pepper says: