By George: Broken Sword II Remastered

By John Walker on December 9th, 2010 at 1:51 pm.

Thankfully the corniness isn't being remastered.

Revolution has announced that there’s to be a director’s cut of Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror. This is the second remake of the series, following 2009′s embellished Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars. (Which in the interests of disclosure, I must add that I worked on, script editing, and writing the diaries and the hints. I’ve nothing at all to do with this second re-edition.) Unlike the first game, this new version will not contain any new story or puzzles, but will improve the graphics, animations, and cutscenes, as well as adding in a diary and hints.

Dave Gibbons (Watchmen) is once more involved, providing an accompanying digital comic, and helping with adding in facial animations, as well as having originally drawn the characters. There’s also to be cloud saving, apparently integrating Dropbox, so you’ll be able to play it on multiple devices. And of course there’s the inevitable inclusion of achievements. (Surely adventure games are inherently about relevant, relative achievements?)

It’s first being released on iOS before Christmas, but getting a PC version “early next year”. There’s no word on a DS/Wii version, which oddly enough was how the first remake came about. But at least the PC is getting its version fairly quickly this time.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. briktal says:

I loved the remake of the first one, and I found it a little tough to get into the second one when I tried to play it after finishing the remake.

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Same here, same here… the alt-tabbing to a walkthrough got old pretty quick, to be frankly honest…I think I won’t continue with it for now and just wait for the bloody remake

• Lukasz says:

i think you don’t realize that you should NOT use walkthroughs when playing adventures games.
      only at worst case scenario (stuck for an hour without doing anything)

kids these days…

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

2Lukasz:

I’ve had my share of frustration back in the days, the hip 90s, thanks a lot – when the ‘Net access was infrequent and walkthroughs delayed or nonexistent in local mags. And there is no real shame in using walkthroughs – the writer Terry Dowling that authored the Schizm adventure series confessed once that he does use walkthroughs because he wants to experience the narrative more fluidly and so do I at times!

2. UW says:

Awesome. I absolutely adore this game.

I thought about it length once and decided that Broken Sword II is easily my favourite in the series. The characters, the little extras and subtleties. For example, the “lucky piece of coal” which follows you throughout the entire game no matter how hard you try to get rid of it. It serves no purpose other than opening up amusing sequences of dialogue – ever try giving it to the goat in Quaramonte city?

I think the overarching story of the original BS game is better, but in terms of the writing and the characters you meet throughout – I feel that BSII is head and shoulders above.

3. Simon Dufour says:

That suck! I think I already own the old version on Steam but never played it.

4. SimoRoth says:

Apart from those ugly looking mug shots It doesn’t look like they’ve done anything but run the graphics through a upscale with a bilinear filter.

5. Biscotti says:

Revolution have made some brilliant adventures. But now I’m bored of paying for the same ones again and again. I would really like to see them release something brand new.

6. goatmonkey says:

Waiting for the first one to be on sale being the cheapskate I am

7. jeremypeel says:

Wahoo! These adventure game remakes of late have been nothing but a good thang for me, coming late to the party as I do.

Was this originally made by the same team responsible for Beneath a Steel Sky, or has my memory been compromised?

• UW says:

Aye, that’s them! I’ve been meaning to play BASS (Hah) for some time and haven’t got around to it.

This trip down nostalgia lane might just be the kick up the arse I need.

• jeremypeel says:

You really should make time for it; it’s great fun, brilliantly written and Mr Dave Gibbons of Watchmen fame had a hand in it.

Also, I believe you get it free for registering on GOG.

8. N'Al says:

This is great news. Thoroughly enjoyed the remake of the first one on my iPhone. Will definitely be getting this.

However, really, what I’m still waiting for is for Revolution to fix the bug in Beneath a Steel Sky that’s preventing me from completing it. :-/

9. DeepSleeper says:

I found the new bits of art in Broken Sword DC rather jarring, and some of Nico’s additional scenes made me groan. Did we really need the block-sliding “traffic jam” puzzle? Again?

Aside from that, excellent. I’ll be re-buying this too, again.

10. BooleanBob says:

Ah, Nico Collard. Not my first gaming crush, but probably the one that’s endured the longest.

• UW says:

I’d say she was most likeable in this game as well.

In addition to seeing a lot more of her, I think she has the best voice actor in this game.

• Megazver says:

I am still sad that Nico and George never seemed to make it as a couple. It’s a tremendous bummer.

YOU WERE MEANT FOR EACH OTHER GUYS COME ON

11. fuggles says:

I wonder if they will redo BS3 and BS4, although it will take more than pretties to sort out BS4.

12. Kaira- says:

BTW, GOG has a promo for Broken Sword games, $7.17 if you’re interested.

GO GET IT BOY

• Bioptic says:

To clarify – that’s £4.70 total for DRM-free digital copies of the Director’s Cut version of BS1, and the original versions of BS2 and BS3. No BS4, which almost seems to have been disowned since release.

• Lukasz says:

@bioptic

really? I heard that fourth one is similar to 1 and two… sleeping dragon was pretty good but hardly as good games and BS1 and BS2.

so fourth is even worse even if they brought old school adventure system?

• fuggles says:

Put it this way – take your favourite trilogy, which exists perfectly well as a trilogy and tracks a journey of two characters. Then make a fourth one, which seems to ignore the first 3 parts. It’s not particularly good and certainly doesn’t need to exist. That said, a BS5 which properly follows on from BS3 I would play.

13. Carra says:

I played Broken Sword 1 & 2 back in the days.

When will they make new games? It’s the same with LucasArts. I don’t want Monkey Island 2 remakes, I want new games.

• BooleanBob says:

There’s been a Broken Sword 3 for donkeys’ years now. It’s worth tracking down, although I hope you like box-shifting puzzles. Also paper, pencil, key-in-lock puzzles and chicken, fox and farmer puzzles.

At this point I feel I might need to reiterate that it really still is a game worth one’s time.

There hasn’t, however, been a fourth game in the series. Seriously, there is no Broken Sword 4 A LA LA LA LA I CAN’T HEAR YOU.

You’ll be telling me there was a sequel to Deus Ex next…

• Carra says:

I’m aware of Broken Sword 3 & 4. Played them when they came out.

But it’s been almost 5 years since Broken Sword 4. Since then they’ve only been releasing their old catalogue on iphone, wii,…

• Bioptic says:

Revolution are doing all these remakes to build up enough cash to work on new games – and it really seems to be working, particularly on the iOS devices. Few bits of commentary on this here:

• Carra says:

Nice to hear they still make new games. I’ll be excited about those then :)

Don’t get me wrong, Broken Sword 1 & 2 are some of the bes adventure games I ever played. And they’ll always be a part of my gaming history.

14. day says:

Right, I LOVE this series (first two) and it is one of my favorites of all time.
    I was so excited when the Directors Cut came to PC, but massivley dismayed when I realised that in any given scene the player is immediately shown everything to interact with .. Like a little baby. It was beyond ridiculous and stopped me playing the update of my favorite game. baah..

15. EthZee says:

Broken Sword 2 was actually the first game in the series I played. It might have been the first point-and-click adventure I played. It holds a special place for me.

That said, the mugshot they have up there for George Stobbard is incorrect. It doesn’t look right.

Also: “L…B…S. …Lerbs? What are Lerbs?”

:D

16. Al3xand3r says:

Bought the Broken Sword pack on gog and now I’m hugely disappointed with the changes these “remastered” versions do because they don’t merely add content, they also remove scenes to make them PG13 (no murder scenes in BS1) and for whatever reason also have removed animations here and there, while the interface and new elements often obscures things you want to be looking at. Not to mention you can’t turn off the glowing points of interest. Very shoddy low quality enhancements overall, despite some of the nice new art like the talking portraits.

I’m glad this wasn’t already released on PC so the second game at least is in its original form on gog. I’d kick myself for buying the pack despite the low price since both games would be half ruined (imo) and the third game I don’t even have a big interest in and only bought it due to the discount offered.

I hope they give us the option to play the original or Director’s Cut version of the first game down the road (maybe the second too for those who prefer the DC for whatever reasons). I’ve (politely) expressed that much both to gog and Revolution, hopefully they’ll listen since many others have done the same.

17. PS3 Jailbreak says:

PS3 Break 1.2 upgradeable firmware, No need BD booting-disc,and programable USB freely.PS3 Break 1.1 revolutionary, the inventory are being sold worldwide now!