Dungeon Heart Of The Swarm: DK Meets SC2

By Alec Meer on December 9th, 2010 at 8:23 pm.

Blizzard (them again) have high hopes for Starcraft II’s editor. Increasingly, so do I. For instance, it’s enabled one enterprising chap sidestepping EA’s failure to make Dungeon Keeper 3 and instead creating his own functional DK prototype in SC2′s engine and universe…

Clearly, there’s plenty of work to go before Hive Keeper becomes a fleshed-out reality, but that it’s so instantly recognisable as DK is wonderful. The tunnels, the grabbing, the casual cruelty…

The creator, one Bibendus83, reveals he’s not yet created the rooms in-game, but he’s got some graphical mock-ups of how Starcraftified takes on the likes of the Torture Chamber, Treasury and Hatchery (oh, how warm those hallowed names make my heart feel) over here.

Does this mean that, improbably, 2011 will be the year of Dungeon Keeper comebacks? We’ve got this, Dungeons and EA’s Chinese MMO all happening around the same time. How did that ever happen? Now all we need is for EA to lob DK3 onto that list…

(Belated thanks to TotalBiscuit for the tip)

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Rinox says:

I feel the same fuzzy feeling as you when watching this Alec. I caught myself mentally filling in the ‘ping’ sounds of the imps/drones claiming floor tiles…

2. Christopher M. says:

I wonder if it’s too much to ask for a Dungeon Keeper-type game that uses the full array of Values in the color spectrum? I mean, sure we’re underground, but… brightly lit areas? Too much to ask?

• Heliocentric says:

Evil genius has the colour you desire.

• Christopher M. says:

Evil Genius has the upper half of the value spectrum, sure…

…and Dungeon Keeper has the lower half.

…And Dungeons has a wide array, but all their torches are neon, which makes the whole thing look early-’90s-CG cheesy. Yeah, I know they’re trying to be colorful, but neon green corridors aren’t my preferred way of achieving that particular look.

• Fred Wester, CEO of Paradox says:

Blade Runner corridors.

3. MuscleHorse says:

I still dream of Dungeon Keeper, Syndicate and even Magic Carpet comebacks but I fear they’d probably go the way of X-COM.

4. DJ Phantoon says:

That’s so exciting, that I lack words to describe how excited I am.

5. Brick making machine says:

It seems horror . I don’t like it .

6. Brick making machine says:

Great ! I like it . Thanks for your shaing.

7. Davey Jones says:

I have the strange urge to buy Dungeon Keeper shoes.

*ahem* Yeah, I’m ready for a revisiting of the first title.

8. Ted says:

I’m just going to keep playing star battle.
    best thing on battle.net

9. Ubiquitous says:

I would love to play this. Count me excited, though not nearly as much as I am for Dungeons.

Oh sadistic, polygon filled, childhood related nostalgia, here I come.

10. NikRichards says:

Link missing to said mockups? or something fubar on my end?

11. Navagon says:

Good to see so much DK love out there still. But personally I think I’m more likely to pick up Dungeons than SC2 for my DK fix.

12. Òscar says:

Am I the only one who thought about Donkey Kong?

13. JonathanStrange says:

There are already numerous mods you can play right now on BNet which are even more blatant ‘homages’ than this one, including an almost scene by scene remake of Final Fantasy 7 save with Starcraft units and setting as well as a pretty nifty Dead Space third-person mod. So no, unless this were to be outright named ‘Dungeon Keeper 3′ or somesuch, I don’t see why Blizzard would care.

14. Bhazor says:

Seriously dude if you’re dismissing the whole mod community because of people using licensed materials you will miss out on a metric shit-ton of quality.

Also Blizzard have made no attempt to block the vast majority of homages as no one owns the copyright for gameplay or genres.

15. Spam a lam a ding dong says:

Spam Ahoy, matey. Off the Starboard bow! Ready hooks and spears, lads. Tonight we feast!

16. Jimmy says:

You’ve got to admit though, shoesforking is an excellent name for a site.

Comment on this story