RPS Game Club: Arma 2 This Weekend

By Jim Rossignol on December 9th, 2010 at 11:30 am.

Want to shoot men in the company of men? Then you’ve come to the right place! We’re going to be playing Operation Arrowhead this weekend, thanks to the heroic band of brothers who operate the server. Details? Yes! You are best off with Mumble & Operation Arrowhead 1.56. Server IP: 81.19.209.123 Server Password: rumpus

Action will start at 8pm this coming Saturday. I believe it filled right up last time, so you might want to get in early. If you’re very lucky there might even be a session on Sunday, too. Regarding other Game Club events coming up over Christmas, I am planning Killing Floor, World In Conflict, and possible some Quake Live, for freeness. Any other suggestions?

, .

1. kyynis says:

Deus Ex advanced team deathmatch plox. Everyone reading RPS and their dogs must already have 5 copies of the game, right?

• Auspex says:

As I believe the (relatively) great Kieron Gillen once said:
      “When you play Deus Ex multiplayer everyone loses”

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

@Auspex: And he was right. May he rest in peace.

• MrSafin says:

Was Deus Ex multiplayer really bad?

Never had the chance to try it.

• PleasingFungus says:

It’s wonderfully terrible. I put far too many hours into it when I was younger.

Ahh, memories.

Harlander says:

Argh! Schedule conflict!

And from the bosom of RPS, no less…!

(This seems to collide with the Rock, Paper, Retro AoWSM stuff I already sagged on for..)

3. Corrupt_Tiki says:

I love you Jim!

4. trooperdx3117 says:

Oooh you should have an event for when Bad company 2 vietnam comes, out that would be fun

5. UsF says:

8pm…..what timezone? CET? GMT?

• Nullkigan says:

GMT, as is usual for RPS. There will be a steam event reminder, and there’s early talk of organising an event with a different start time for those who are in the lands that time forgot.

Server will be up 24/7 if you can stand a little lag. ARMA’s a slow enough game that it shouldn’t really affect things badly.

• Poindexter says:

I would love if we could organize another time for us Yanks to play on the server every weekday. As it stands, I should be able to play with you guys on Sunday, but not Saturday.

• darkripper says:

I’d love to join this. I’ve never played Arma in multiplayer, and honestly I suck in the singleplayer – I find it pretty hard to both take care of my life and of my men.
      I’m thinking maybe the best way to get better at this game is to play with other players (a rare case where playing multi and co-op might actually be easier than going single) .

In the meantime, I’m wondering about customs missions: anyone knows some good training one? I’m especially looking for the ones where you are just a private and you just have to take care of yourself. In both ARMA II and OA you don’t spend enough time in the campaign as a private.

• Stranglove says:

I’d like to add, I’ll be around on mumble most of the day, getting my mission done, so if anyone needs assistance with anything concerning the event, feel free to give me a shout on mumble. Though not a literal shout, as that would hurt my ears.

6. CMaster says:

Plain Sight.
    I still think The Ship could be good
    Homeworld?
    Is there anything massivley coop we could do? I guess we already have a Minecraft server… Transformice maybe?

Any F2P MMOs we could stage a weekend invasion of (and have fun doing it – something where there is good content from early on (or accessible sandboxing), not just SP tutorial quests).

Dystopia? Synergy/Obsidian Conflict (the two HL2 coop mods – I’ve made a couple of maps for the former)? Overwatch?

Hell, there’s still fun to be had with HL1: The Opera – John Woo inspired mod which throws the refridgerator box out the window (then shoots in with akimbo barrettas while diving past doves), Natural Selection – still solid and needs good teamwork to work.

7. CMaster says:

Reposting because I got eaten when editing for spam:

Plain Sight.
    I still think The Ship could be good
    Homeworld?

JonWood says:

ARMA tends to come under the massively coop category. It’s possible to play it competitively, but it’s not something that actually seems to happen often due to the vast numbers of people necessary to make it work in anything but the smallest scenarios.

8. MrBRAD! says:

Well, there goes $45! I hope this is as fun as BF2: PR.

9. Chris D says:

Did I miss Bloody Good Time or hasn’t that happened yet?

10. Nullkigan says:

If anyone has any mission suggestions for the Arrowhead event,post them in the forums thread and we’ll upload them. We’d prefer missions for large player counts (20-40) which don’t require client mods and run well. Some manner of respawn or revive would be useful as well.

I think the current list at that size is a combined arms sweep through a city, an orienteering escape adventure (not for everyone, obviously) and domination.

11. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

I want to suggest the Wheel of Time FPS, but nobody has the bloody thing.

Harlander says:

Oh hey, another thing: the Killing Floor crimbo special could be good for this, if many folks have it.

13. BarneyL says:

I’ll second Plain Sight, I picked it up in the recent STEAM sale and was disappointed to discover there are rarely enough players online to get a game going.

harvb says:

Gutted that I can’t make this, but I’m working as per bloomin’ usual. How dare Jim and Null not consult my diary!

15. evilbobthebob says:

World in Conflict is an excellent choice. How about a Civ game?

16. Steelfists says:

World in Conflict is a good choice

17. Artist says:

Nice, Arma again! Oh please, can we do a round of “Hunt Waldo 2″? Its an really awesome teamplay mission! http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6390&highlight=HUNT+WALDO

• Stranglove says:

We may not be able to, as it contains Combined Ops content. Of course, if everyone has CO/ A2 and OA, we can do it.

18. Guest says:

Mount & Blade!

• Artist says:

Yay, Warband forever!

“Lasset das Hauen und Stechen beginnen! DEUS VULT”
      (roughly: “Let the cut and thrust begin – god wants it”)

• Petethegoat says:

I got Warband in the Steam sales, and I’d love to play it with some proper RPS chaps.

19. Alex Bakke says:

Ordering a new PSU JUST FOR THIS.

• Conor says:

Let’s hope this one arrives before the heat death of the universe!

20. abhishek says:

Definitely BC2 Vietnam when it releases.

21. Unaco says:

What are the limitations for missions/maps? Is this going to be OA only, or Combined Ops?

• Stranglove says:

I don’t expect we’ll exclude anyone, so OA.

• RedDogBOM says:

The only limits I have found in making maps in my imagination. This game engine is truly amazing. It is better to state what kind of game play and map you would like to see, with what kind of weapons, vehicles and timing. So many possibilities!

22. Tusque d'Ivoire says:

plain sight I can agree on, the RPSness has kinda not covered this too much already.

Also how about something from the Humble Indie Bundle, which was just made available to register on Steam! Yay!

23. Balhazer says:

Schedule for Killing Floor?

24. Ringwraith says:

I would be tempted to say BC2, though that’s because someone I know has just started to get into it and it’d be nice to have a friendly server to play on, as my old haunt hopped the twig.

25. Bas says:

A good game with a shit UI. No thanks.

26. Ganders says:

Guess I’ll hop into this before I run out of chances, even though i can’t get arma to stop giving me horrendous mouse lag at 40 fps. (and that’s without the mouse smoothing)

27. egg651 says:

I am only moderately disappointed that this is not Harry Potter roleplay.

28. +--JAK--+ says:

8PM saturday, your up against the X-Factor finals mate, i predict a no show!

29. theleif says:

Hos about some Sins of a Solar Empire?
    Europa Universalis 3?
    Hearts of Iron 3?
    Sword of the Stars?
    Dogfighter?
    Men of War?
    Too many question marks?

30. GC says:

I propose the far west Source SDK game Fistful of Frags : http://www.fistful-of-frags.com/

31. Brick making machine says:

It seems exciting. I like it very much.

32. PS3Break says:

PS3Break – PS Jailbreak – PS3 Break is USB PS3 Dongle
    The PS3Break is a USB PS3 Dongle plug and play Modchip that installs in seconds, keeping your valid warranty seal in tact. It’s compatible with all PS3 models FAT and SLIM and supports all games and all regions: USA, JAP, PAL and KOREA

33. RedDogBOM says:

Seems odd that a great Coop Game like ArmA2 that has been out for a while does not have a bigger following for online MP Coop gaming. We finally dropped BF2 for ArmA2 and took some time to get over the hump of complexity and depth this game has to offer. We finally got it running in a simpler faster paced MP Coop style that is similar to the BF2 engine, but with all the advantages of this new engine. Only problem is a general lack of knowledge and thus players. Nobody has really probed the depth of this game in plain vanilla mode and all that it can do…
    from a slow Military Simulation style Coop, to the fast paced arcade style of Coop and everything in between.
    Do you guys still host a dedicated server? Who’s making your maps? Many yank players?