Isaac Mute ‘Un: New Dead Space 2 Trailer

By Quintin Smith on December 10th, 2010 at 9:31 am.

'Maybe that was the last one!' exclaimed Isaac, foolishly.

One of my favourite things about the first Dead Space was that Isaac was just this very quiet, practical guy with terrible posture who shouted in disgust whenever bad things happened to him and who wasn’t squeamish about stomping the shit out of Necromorphs. A hero after my own heart. With Dead Space 2 he seems to be getting some all-star treatment, becoming this awesome character who embodies the brand, but I guess that’s OK because the new zero-G sections look loving awesome. There’s only a glimpse of them in this new single-player trailer, but have a look and see what I mean.

You know, you see the way his helmet comes on and off? We’ve been seeing that stuff since the Lost In Space reboot with Matt Le Blanc. I’d put some money down that in 15 years time people will be making fun of it.

, .

1. Rain says:

OOOOh, this is gonna be Bitchin’!

Me excited

ALso 1st comment gwahahahaha

Rain
    South Africa

2. Ubiquitous says:

Ah, Sci-fi and horror, my two loves. It’s always so heartwarming to see them in a concoction.

Indeed, those zero-g sequence(s?) look really awesome. I thought that this would NOT be coming to my platform of choice, was I misinformed? It’s quite probable.

3. KillahMate says:

Heh. So someone else noticed the helmet thing. I dunno, it’s been going on for years without people picking up on it. Just recently in the trailers for Tron Legacy robo-Bridges has a helmet-off moment like that.

AndrewC says:

Stargate, I think, started that little trick. Such hallowed company!

• Serenegoose says:

Yeah, Stargate is the first thing I remember seeing it in – when Ra pops out of the big gold suit of power armour and starts yelling Kree at everything, as is the wont of all Goa’uld.

• jeremypeel says:

Iron Man has been a recent adopter too, I think.

• O.G.N says:

The reason for the helmets in movies is allegedly so we can see the actors emote at us with their faces. This was also the reason the pilots in Top Gun kept removing their oxygen masks for no good reason.

• Scandalon says:

Which is really just the Total Recall disguise suit in reverse.

• The Snee says:

You should look at the suit in super fast console manshoot Vanquish. The whole suit does it, all the time, for different bits. Especially the gun. Oh the gun.

4. Alehkhs says:

Ha! Regardless of the overall quality of the movie, as a child I thought LeBlanc’s helmet was amazingly bad-ass.

5. Eukatheude says:

I’m looking forward to this game, but the trailer is just horrible.

• MrThingy says:

And the atmosphere whilst viewing was also wrecked by a pop-up advert for JACOMO clothes (aka, tent-like clothes for morbidly obese gluttons).

MonkeyMonster says:

That looks really rather gnarly – not that I will be buying it having no time to play much anymore but still.

7. pakoito says:

*SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER*
    *SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER*
    It’s he still Isaac? Didn’t his gf kill him at the end of DS1?
    *SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER*
    *SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER*

• Flint says:

That was just his mind playing tricks on him. Apparently in DS2 Isaac’s mind isn’t in the best of conditions.

• Baka says:

That’s the thing.
      They’re able to draw the “It was just a dream”-card at everything in DS2.
      I hope they won’t.

• Serenegoose says:

To be fair, a little bit of the ‘tricks of the mind’ card playing can be a good thing, as once they’ve done it once, you’ll always be expecting it, giving scenes where what just happened was actually real a lot more kick. “No, that was a hallucination, right?!”

• geldonyetich says:

Technically, what you see is an attacking, not that it won. I’m guessing DS2 starts with him scraping the necromorph guts of his former girlfriend off his boots.

Anywho, this game looks very, very solid. This studio has some definite talent.

8. TSA says:

I liked that Isaac’s face in the first one was essentially an easter egg for the first half (you had to guess to rotate the camera in the intro to see it before the end). Frankly, the silent protagonist done right like this is something more games need to lift from the Freeman.

Other than that, the zero-G sequences? Looks like rocket-boots to me. Hope it doesn’t turn too jet-packy. The magnet-boots worked really well in DS1, added to the claustrophobic feeling, by limiting movement even during a space walk.

• subedii says:

In other footage they’ve released, Isaac’s navigating Zero-G. Basically he’s had time to prepare, and one of the those things he prepared for was having his suit equipped with Thrusters, so he can move about freely when gravity’s off.

Not that I didn’t like the way they limited it in the first game, but it looks as if they’re implementing it pretty well.

9. Brumisator says:

Why wait 15 years to make fun of it?

Nero says:

Hey Isaac, have you lost weight?

11. Xercies says:

Isaac looks very generic to be honest, might have been better to not have opened the helmet.

12. Jack says:

Dead space spoilers follow!

I thought having a realistic silent protagonist in third-person was ridiculous at first but I ended up loving Ol’ Isaac Clarke. He’s like Gordon Freeman, viewed from a couple of steps back. Look: Isaac was basically designed as a monster. He’s Pyramid head with a glowing cheese-grater instead of a block. You make something faceless when you want people to hate it, so they’ve made this almost unrelatable monster as a protagonist- it was like they were trying to make the player feel completely alone. You’re following along behind this strange, terrifying man who does nothing but bellow like he’s got a throat infection. You’re trapped in here with him.

Then what made me suddenly love him was the way Isaac’s dead girlfriend sort of became a voice for him towards the end of the game. Isaac himself never said anything, but it seemed obvious that his thoughts were being voiced by this hallucination of his, telling himself that everything was going to be all right.

“You’re doing the right thing, Isaac”.

“I love you, Isaac.”

It was a really cool sort of subversion of the Alyx Vance style support character. Having an NPC act as the voice of an insane silent protagonist. I could suddenly see this silent, shattered man, making an imaginary friend to comfort himself in the bowels of this death-ship. It was fantastic.

But, judging by the way the game ended, I doubt the writers actually intended any of that. So, lovely relatable Isaac it is. Hoorah.

If he starts saying witty one-liners I think I might cry.

• Dominic White says:

I think we should be safe from one-liners. In all the gameplay footage shown so far, he’s generally silent during gameplay, except for his usual screams of terror, pain or rage. He just gets to talk a bit during the moments of downtime between the universe trying to murder him.

13. Navagon says:

A shitty afterthought PC port with terrible controls and a tacked on multiplayer that sees the mutants reduced to bunny hopping foul mouthed 8 year olds is going to kill this one. I might be wrong, but see no reason to think I might be.

• TotalBiscuit says:

You could not sound more bitter if you tried.

• Lord_Mordja says:

Apart from the Vsync problem, the port for the first game was great and wonderfully optimized.

And you could just, you know, not play multiplayer. Perish the thought.

• subedii says:

Also, I don’t believe bunny-hopping’s really going to be possible anyway since Dead Space (and by the looks of things, DS2) doesn’t have a jump command.

• Jan says:

Not just the vsync problem, there was also the custom controller problem. When my joystick was connected (yes I still have one connected to my PC, you’re prying it from my cold dead hands, or when there is Kinect like interface which let’s me fly my Tie Advanced through the Outer Rim), it just kept turning around. Isaac’s face an easter egg? I saw it within 20 seconds of actually starting the game, due to not being to able to stop turning around. The fix: put some custom .ini file in a folder “Electrontic Arts/Dead Space”. That’s not a typo. There was also a “Electronic Arts/Dead Space” folder, but that wasn’t used for some reason….

14. Fox89 says:

Looks like they’ve gone even further towards the “Monster spam” school of survival horror. Which I’m not a big fan of to be honest, Resi 4 remains the best example of that and great a game though it was it wasn’t exactly the scariest game ever made.

The best bits of DS1 were near the beginning where the game played with your mind and the outside sections. I was kind of hoping 2 would focus a bit more of that but it seems that wont be the case. Oh well, I’ll still play it and probably love it, and just adjust my expectations accordingly :)

15. nayon says:

This game looks like it will actually be good, unlike the first one. Am I the only one who thinks the first one was boring, controlled horribly and all the scares were super predictable?

• Zenicetus says:

I didn’t love the first one either. Although, I bailed out about halfway through, so maybe there was something that would have redeemed it towards the end.

The way the weapons worked was fascinating, and that hooked me for a while, but not enough to get over the fact that I’m just not a big fan of heavily scripted, linear games unless it’s something really special (like the recent Batman game). The scripted monster closet reveals got to be very predictable. It also had an awful checkpoint save system. I might try the new one, but only if they’ve done away with checkpoint saves, or at least made it more seamless.

• eclipse mattaru says:

You’re not alone. Not only did I come to say what you just said, I actually found the first one so bland, soulless and uninteresting I can’t bring myself to give a flying shit about the sequel.

I actually hate the first one, in fact, because it embodies everything that is wrong with horror games today. In a way, Dead Space is like the anti-Amnesia, if you will.

• KillahMate says:

Like Doom 3, I feel this represents a different category of game from ‘horror’, and should not be thought of as the same thing as Amnesia. This is a Resident Evil 4 kind of game, more thriller than horror. If the developers actually think of it as horror, they’re mistaken.

The way I see it, if you have weapons (and they’re at all effective) it’s not horror.

16. ArtyFishal says:

I’m glad they put the 2 in a subscript. That is the mathematically correct way of denoting the second element in a sequence. Also, excited!

Gabbo says:

It still looks like Visceral believe scary has more to do with ugly things jumping out and saying boo than it does building and sustaining tension. The game does appear markedly improved over the first game, at least from what is shown in the trailer. More than simply wandering about corridors is always a plus. I don’t expect to be scared, but an enjoyable mutant shoot, I do.

@nayon, no you are not. I found it mostly that as well.

18. DK says:

I don’t know how or why they did it but this actually looks graphically worse than Dead Space 1. Not the scripted actiony QTE replacements (which are still far better than actual QTEs mind you) but the resident evil knockoff walk-around-on-level-and-shoot-zombies bits. They look incredibly blank and featureless compared to Dead Space 1′s detailed atmosphere bleeding corridors.

19. Grey_Ghost says:

Yeah Stargate was the first movie I remember with the helmet thing, though I fail to see why people would make fun of it. It’s friggin AWESOME! Matt LeBlanc donning his space armor was one of my favorite moments of that movie, as well as Robot being in it. Honestly the time travel aspect kinda sucked, and William Hurt’s predictably flat performance.

20. the blueprint project says:

i love the content on this site

21. kwyjibo says:

Dead Space was as boring as fuck. I couldn’t believe how shockingly poor industry standards were until I saw its Metascore.

This was a high 80s game, with all the imagination of a paper bag. I don’t mind that the plot is ripped entirely from Event Horizon, it wouldn’t be the first. But the game is just so dull and tedious.

I’d gotten used to games such as Left 4 Dead, which crammed every single moment with standout design, pacing and gameplay depending on the omnipotent AI’s will. And yet, here, in Dead Space, we were wondering around the same bland corridors for hours on end, doing the same tired Doom 3 actions as we ventured into every room.

22. GHudston says:

I have no doubts that this will be as incredible as the first one, but I do wish they had kept him as a faceless mute. It’s so much easier to become immersed in the character which, in survival horror games, is vital for forcing the player to change their underwear at every save point.

23. eclipse mattaru says:

Hmmm, I’m most intrigued, fine sir. I’m in Uruguay so I take it those are Uruguayan pesos, yes?