Private Military Company Released, Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on December 10th, 2010 at 11:14 am.

That hat isn't going to save you.
The latest Arma II expandalone – Private Military Company – is out, a little later than scheduled. There’s a splendid launch trailer to celebrate this, below, which details a bit more about the story missions from this new campaign. I’m going to take a look at the full game as soon as I can. Meanwhile, check out our interview with BIS for more.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Bornemannen says:

Colour me confused but wasn’t this released on the 30th of November? Or was that 30th CET and not GMT? ;)

2. Navagon says:

An XM8? Seriously? It’s just another embarrassing example of US government waste. Yet game developers insist on including it to make their games seem more cutting edge.

• Brumisator says:

The XM8 and its many variants have been in Arma2 since the beginning.
      And With the plethora of weapons available in the game, why not the XM8 too?

• Nemon says:

I agree, it’s just so pretentious…

• poop says:

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

No, they made enough test models of the XM8 to warrant them being used by military forces in active combat zones, and also they chamber common rounds used by NATO, so it makes sense? they have already been built/bought, and they are quite good, if somewhat unreliable compared to other guns.

The SCAR models are quickly? overtaking them, I actually think the SCARs were directly competing against the XM8, and in saying all this, so many countries still use the trusty, m16, m4 variants

• Luomu says:

There is no country called “Takistan” either :)

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

@ luomo;

Although there are enough countries in that region that end with ‘stan’ :P

• Ozymandias says:

Somebody got jealous of the G36 and wanted to make their own, but they managed to screw it up…

Just pick up a G36.

• Loshon says:

Psh, the XM8 was developed to be a what the SCARs are now: the replacement for the M4s. The problem was that they were better than the M4s, just not better enough. Although they stopped makin’ ‘em in 2005, it’s probably a safe bet that PMCs can get their hands on them, as they made a bunch of them.

• rosser says:

“the XM8 project has been cancelled for about the last five years and no one is ever gonna use htem

that and you can tell that they keep popping up in games/media because they look like goofy future guns”

While they more than likely aren’t used now, it doesn’t mean that they never were used in that environment:

With photo’s like the one publicly available, can you really blame some designer/ artist for including them? It certainly beats completely fictional weapons…

Joshua says:

@ Ozymandias

Considering that the G36 and the XM8 are both manafactured by Heckler und Koch, that doesn’t make a lot of sense.

• The Juice says:

How is that weapon an example US government waste? It would of been a waste if the DOD decided to actually go with the flawed POS. But as you might notice, US forces aren’t and will not be using it.

• nmute says:

i like bazooka guns. does it have bazooka guns? what about machine guns?

lasers?

3. Brumisator says:

Please get us a Wot I think on this, Jimmy!

I’m a big fan of Bohemia interactive, but the British armed forces update left a bitter taste. So short. And the new vehicles are available in low poly version for free anyway.

• Malleus says:

PMC campaign is horrible. It’s like a failed COD parody or something, doesn’t feel right at all for a BIS game. Scripted, linear missions, you’re almost always just follower in a squad, voice over / writing didn’t impress me to say the least, etc. BAF was better. (Though IMO, BAF was actually quite good anyway)

I don’t regret buying it, but I can’t recommend it.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

The writing? I thought the ArmA 2 campaign, and the Arrowhead campaign were ‘meh’ , I actually don’t think I absorbed anything during the playthrough, apart from the terrific experiences with, ambushes, and making bad decisions as a commander and getting raped for it =)

• Brumisator says:

Having played through the entirety of arma2’s, OA’s and BAF’s SP campaigns, I must say EW is still the best one by far and it was free, too. BAF wasn’t bad by any means, but I expected more meat from something I paid for.
      As I see it, we’re paying more for the new weapons and vehicles in these DLC, and PMC isn’t really blowing my mind in that department.

…Damn the number of abbreviations…it’s like being in the real army.

4. Capt Fatbeard says:

Is it me or does one of the PMC guys sound very much like kiefer sutherland? plus some lovely bad british accents going on there too…

5. poop says:

10/10 funny accents of the year

6. Tom says:

Why can’t they update the controls?! I loved flashpoint but the controls were a right dog really clunky. Playing ARMA 1 was like flashpoint with better graphics but I thought they must have made it better for ARMA 2 but no.
    Dragon Rising had better controls but lacked in other areas hopefully the next one will be better.

• Brumisator says:

Because that would piss off veterans, who are, after all, the biggest userbase for Arma 2.

The controls take a long while to get used to, but once you have them assimilated, they work well.

• IFabian. says:

Military veterans are the biggest userbase for ArmA 2?

Citation Needed, for fuck’s sake.

• TimA says:

I’m pretty sure he meant Operation Flashpoint veterans. :)

• Thants says:

I tried to play Arma 2 before but I couldn’t get past the controls. Is it supposed to lurch around like I’m drunk when I try to move?

• gmaw says:

controls are fine… never had a problem that aren’t that different from the original opf they just take some time getting used too. i really dont see the problem everyone has with them. Also i dont turn off aiming float i dont think the game was made to be played with a locked crosshair.

7. Luomu says:

If you have PMC, and experience annoying stutter during video playback (like me), you should try the beta patch: http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

It’s not listed in the changelog, but it should fix the video problem.

8. Jori says:

I thought the new campaign was great, though I’m sure they’ll be fixing a few bugs in a patch, as usual!
    Its dfifferent, yes, BUT it has some really nice gameplay once you get into it and I thought the story and writing was a real step up from what’s been produced before by BIs, which was ok.

• MrSquat says:

True, but I’d still like them to have a polished product without wait in one patch. I played the campaign, thort it was EPIC, yea, really much better than before, and def diff like u say, but little thing like guns not being rite or the ai doing somethign retarded is still ther…….

9. Kadayi says:

Haven’t finished it (been playing it co-op), but enjoying it so far for what it is. Certainly not perfect, but it adds a bit of variety to the mix, and given the game exists in a fictitious game space I’m not too fussy with them taking liberties as to the availability of certain weapons.

10. jackflash says:

Pretty sure it’s DLC, not an expandalone, since you need OA to play it, right?

UW says:

Aye, I’m fairly sure you’re right there. I don’t think it is an expandalone.

11. Dejoh says:

Hey ya Wads. For $10.00 ya get a very enjoyable stint in the desert.
    Thanks BIS. Keep em coming.

12. The Great Skratsby says:

Bought it on release in a bundle pack with BAF. Alas I was really hoping for for some new PMC centric skirmish missions, and I haven’t given the campaign a burl yet, let alone come close to finishing ArmA II, EW, OA and BAF.

13. Radiant says:

BECOME A PRIVATE MILITARY CONTRACTOR:
    Go to war in a pair of chinos, a lumber jack shirt and a complete disregard for humanity.

PMC Where everyday is dress down Friday.

14. the blueprint project says:

i really love this site

15. LoopyDood says:

RPS is now being swarmed by spambots.

16. squirrel says:

I dont understand. Why BIS made installation of either of the previous ARMA II game a requirement to install this one? With ITB HDD becoming more commonly available at affordable prices, who bother to save disk space by recycling some of the codes from the so-called the “main program”? Sound like to me BIS wants to force us to keep the community of the older ARMA IIs alive, which is not a good try.

17. perilisk says:

So, is this an expansion where you’re basically an elite rent-a-cop guarding trucks and buildings and stuff?

18. Bas says:

Did they make the UI usable for normal humans yet?